FIRST CANADA Employee Reviews

A good experience, management team were friendly
Bus Driver- Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Alberta5 October 2017
Enjoyed the job. Got along well with management. Policies and procedures emphasis on safety, which is excellent. Would definetly return to this company for the desirable position and location.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Working with other great drivers from across the country
Driver Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 September 2017
The day starts pretty early but lucky I am a morning person, If you like working with people, this is the job. The management is always very helpful & go the extra distance to help you at C.N.R.L. The work place can have some challenges weather wise, Hot/Dusty/Cold days.
I really don't see a hard part of this job, and the most enjoyable part of it is the new friend you can make from other parts of the country.
Pros
Lodging & Food
Cons
Early Morning for some.
OK Place to work
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON23 August 2017
The hours were long, management is under continued pressure from the USA to return more EBIT. That's the problem there. But the team was good and the environment friendly.
disabled persons' transport company
monitor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 August 2017
Ensured the safety and orderly conduct of mentally disabled persons on buses during transport to and from day programs. Responsible for assisting physically-challenged persons on and off buses.
safety orientated firm
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 July 2017
safety orientated company (only worked part time during Oil sands shut down)

drive bus shuttling camp workers from main camp to work site. split shift on a 14 on 7 off roatation
Pros
easy work
Cons
split shifts
Reputedly voted worst employer in canada,
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 May 2017
Abysmal management practices. Horrible safety practices. Bullied and threatened into driving coaches on little or no sleep. Most likely illegal payroll practices uncluding regularly removing hours already worked. If you complained or grieved, you were reimbursed. We had to be extremely diligent to examining payroll stubs. Some payroll managers were worse than others in deducting hours from our pay. First Group reputedly recently lost a lawsuit in the US for similar treatment of employees. Ridiculous and punitive work culture such as being required to stop, get out and circle bus every 5 feet while backing.
Pros
Easy to get job
Cons
Unsafe hours and equipment. Abusive management
Very good company to work for
Coach Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 May 2017
Transporting workers from place to place, providing a relaxing and enjoyable ride for workers.
I found management to be very respective of my daily routine. I followed their schedule, road rules and site rules. Communicated well and listened to radio for changes via dispatch.
I found new routes were a bit challenging until drove a couple time. Patrons on the bus is very helpful in knowing where they are going.
Communication with all people/driving being the best part of working in the public sector.
Look forward to once again serve the public.
Pros
Driving
Cons
Friendly team to work with
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 May 2017
For such a hectic job, having such a reliable and relaxed team to work with makes the insanity of a days work with it.
If you're looking for a job that can keep you on yours toes with some mild relaxation during the day dispatching is where you should be.
Great management
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Lacombe, AB24 November 2016
Management is great to work with. Buses are well maintained by the maintenance team. Enjoy the kids and working with the parents.
Pros
Great management
safety a joke and so is the staff and dispatch
driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB16 October 2016
Fort Hills site.... First Canada they talk about safety and thats all it is all talk no action. There hours are long and split without your proper 8 hour rest. They don't do proper pretrips there busses are not mechanically fit for transporting passengers and they are unsafe. Staff don't train they get a driver to do it thats not been properly train to do that . Dispatch have no patients on the radio they degrade you on radio instead of calling you into the office in a proper manner. Some lead hands need to find a different career as some aren't fit to be one they can be so rude on a radio . Drivers there some of them got there licence out of cracker jack box they can not drive safe at all.
Staff as management at First Canada are there for a pay check and thats it ,very two face ,they say one thing does another...

They are some good drivers but not many.
camp was good very pleasant staff!

If I could do half stars thats what they would get!
excellent Place to work
handyDART Custom Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 July 2016
Very good place to work very appreciable admin staff and management one of the best places to work but unfortunate I'm moving and wont be able to continue working for them.
Pros
incredible staff
Cons
salary
Bullies
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Ft.McMurray23 June 2016
Seemed like a good place to work ,told the starting wage was one thing,then found out it was way less and the wage quoted included benefits..which was a lie and illegal.
Started work and they were such angry and bullying co workers..it was so unreal..
Mostly east coaster..and thought very highly of them self's.
Have the busses in garage running with out exhaust fans on and doors shut in garage...no safety,unless it was for discipline purpose.
No chance to learn, very disappointed with the opportunity with them at kearl lake,tried talking to H.R.,and they just talked over you and I then realised it was a useless discussion...oh well, did my rotation and never went back...it was union also... made no difference...
Make sure you ask a lot of questions about your pay rate and your health and safety
Pros
Camp...
Cons
Bad management and it rolles right down to workers...not a healthy place!!
good place to work
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Albian Sands21 June 2016
great team player environment. Safety is a priority. managaement very friendly and open minded. willing to suggestions
Pros
safety priority
Cons
long split shifts, camp position
First Canada Transit Driver
Class 2QS Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT31 May 2016
Great Company to work for I have an awesome Boss. My day is very busy and very dynamic. Safety is a very real concern for my passengers as well as their comfort. Very mentally intense job watching many things all at once. Traffic, traffic lights, pedestrians, being aware of where my bus is as I pull into bus stops, dealing with hazardous situations in the bus and out of the bus at times, being diplomatic at all times, keeping calm in dangerous situations. However I have enjoyed my driving position very much.
Pros
a great learning position
Safe,on-time
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2016
I typically worked 14 hours a day and was only paid for 10,but it was the most enjoyable job I have ever have had. I learned to be amongst the few in First Canada to maintain a 100% safety culture. I l was taught from early on how to deal with employees positively and fairly. I also was taught how to deal with our clients honestly respectfully. I am a person that works very well under pressure and stress, so there for I never found my job difficult. The most enjoyable part of my job as a Transportation manager on site was that the personnel were picked up and dropped off safely, on time with out incident. The client was Happy and all my drivers returned safely.
Pros
Rotations in and out of camp
Cons
Rewarding long Hours
Fun and Freidnly
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK25 April 2016
A typical day for this work for me is amazing i get to meet new people out there and kids. I learn that patience is required and can be stressful at times. Stick to the schedule and you will have no problem. The management is good, my co workers are amazing. I wouldnt say this job is hard but the experience is amazing. driving bus is awesome.. i love this job because i get to be with kids everyday.
Stable workplace with consistant work environment
Commercial Transport Mechanic (Former Employee) –  British Columbia8 April 2016
An overall good place to work, with a stable work environment and great pay. Unionized workers with a good benefits package.
Busy but fullfilling
Charter Agent (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK8 March 2016
A typical day for me consists of helping with dispatch, billing, contacting customers for a variety of reasons, close contact with the Catholic School Board, communication through emails, and phone calls with the public, school board and clients. Quotes, excel, email, spreadsheets.
I really enjoy working for First Canada, I appreciate the support I have from my manager and those I work with on a daily basis.
The hardest part of my job is not having enough time to do everything that is required of me on a daily basis and therefore I often take my work home with me or stay late.
The most enjoyable part of my day is the easy banter myself and my co workers have with each other, we laugh, talk and support one another.
Pros
Freedom to take time off, and to make mistakes and not be reprimanded
Cons
Great for stay-at-home moms and retirees
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 February 2016
Straight forward job working with children and great for someone hoping to supplement income but still maintain "home time."

Good compensation for the work done and possibility for extra income. Early morning starts with starting bus and doing a circle check, then picking up children and driving to school. You do the reverse in the afternoon and then return the bus to the compound and secure it until next use.

Some challenges for situation where vehicle failure occurs and occasional frustration from communication with the office that was not always thorough. Routers are very on top of their job and were always helpful and friendly.
Cons
early morning
poor management
bus driver (Current Employee) –  Wood Buffalo, AB1 January 2016
If you are a rat or a weasel, you are in! Poor management and you gotta fight constantly for your rights. It is sad cause the job itself is great.
Pros
work schedule, meet people
Cons
favoritism, bullying, don't get pay OT, don't get pay standby, can't find out how much you have in pension plan, useless union who works for the company, scare tactics...