FIRST CANADA Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Safe,on-time
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 26, 2016
Pros: Rotations in and out of camp
Cons: Rewarding long Hours
I typically worked 14 hours a day and was only paid for 10,but it was the most enjoyable job I have ever have had. I learned to be amongst the few in First Canada to maintain a 100% safety culture. I l was taught from early on how to deal with employees positively and fairly. I also was taught how to deal with our clients honestly respectfully. I am a person that works very well under pressure and stress, so there for I never found my job difficult. The most enjoyable part of my job as a Transportation manager on site was that the personnel were picked up and dropped off safely, on time with out incident. The client was Happy and all my drivers returned safely.
Great for stay-at-home moms and retirees
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKFebruary 9, 2016
Cons: early morning
Straight forward job working with children and great for someone hoping to supplement income but still maintain "home time."

Good compensation for the work done and possibility for extra income. Early morning starts with starting bus and doing a circle check, then picking up children and driving to school. You do the reverse in the afternoon and then return the bus to the compound and secure it until next use.

Some challenges for situation where vehicle failure occurs and occasional frustration from communication with the office that was not always thorough. Routers are very on top of their job and were always helpful and friendly.
Busy but fullfilling
Charter Agent (Current Employee), Regina, SKMarch 8, 2016
Pros: Freedom to take time off, and to make mistakes and not be reprimanded
Cons: Long hours
A typical day for me consists of helping with dispatch, billing, contacting customers for a variety of reasons, close contact with the Catholic School Board, communication through emails, and phone calls with the public, school board and clients. Quotes, excel, email, spreadsheets.
I really enjoy working for First Canada, I appreciate the support I have from my manager and those I work with on a daily basis.
The hardest part of my job is not having enough time to do everything that is required of me on a daily basis and therefore I often take my work home with me or stay late.
The most enjoyable part of my day is the easy banter myself and my co workers have with each other, we laugh, talk and support one another.
Fun and Freidnly
Bus Operator (Current Employee), Regina, SKApril 25, 2016
A typical day for this work for me is amazing i get to meet new people out there and kids. I learn that patience is required and can be stressful at times. Stick to the schedule and you will have no problem. The management is good, my co workers are amazing. I wouldnt say this job is hard but the experience is amazing. driving bus is awesome.. i love this job because i get to be with kids everyday.
poor management
bus driver (Current Employee), Wood Buffalo, ABJanuary 1, 2016
Pros: work schedule, meet people
Cons: favoritism, bullying, don't get pay OT, don't get pay standby, can't find out how much you have in pension plan, useless union who works for the company, scare tactics...
If you are a rat or a weasel, you are in! Poor management and you gotta fight constantly for your rights. It is sad cause the job itself is great.
excellent work environment
Motorcoach Driver (Former Employee), Kearl Lake, ABNovember 10, 2015
Pros: Healthy working environment
Cons: split shifts--too much time off between shifts
Very productive and safe workplace, and I learned a vast knowledge of working with different clients, and what was expected of me. Very interested in working with a company that maintains a high level of working with Safety.
ok for a short term
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 14, 2015
Cons: split shifts
management believes that drivers are a dime a dozen we work long hours on a split shift 9-12hrs a day spread over 16hrs.on the plus side it is 10 in and 10 out
friendly enviroment
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCOctober 15, 2015
Pros: free bus travel
Cons: split shifts
A good company to work for but it takes to long to get a permanent position. Split shifts make for a long day. 2 to 3 years as a casual driver which I was is to long.
Wonderful Company , Great People
Dispatcher/Route Supervisor (Current Employee), CNRLApril 28, 2015
Pros: Great People, Camp Accomodations
Cons: Wage, No Oppurtunity for movement within company
Typical day would include doing Scheduling , Dispatching & Delegating tasks between 90 Drivers. Developed excellent Computer Skills, Trained in a supervisory role.Great Management and amazing co-workers.My Team worked very well together and made work enjoyable. Downside was the wage we received was the lowest wage within the company, but had the most responsibility. It is a great job , with Great people , Just low paid.
An okay company to work for not horrible but not great
MOTOR COACH OPERATOR (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 18, 2015
Pros: Housing provided in camp decent wage.
Cons: Not all workers are treated equally.
A typical day at work is a split shift divided into a handful of hours in the morning and a handful of hours in the evening totaling an eight hour work day.

I enjoy the job and my coworkers. However the management and the company could use some adjustments.
Great Place
Supervisor/Site Administrator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 25, 2015
Proper compensation, good management.

Good benefits and RRSP system.

If you work at site as non-union, good flight allowance.
Job not hard, but terrible management
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: right or wrong your cheque is in the bank
Cons: bad management, poor equipment, mickey moused together, terrible turn around and leave times, no ot, pay own flights, no travel allowance
Very poor management and bullies, Do not care about the employees, lead hands walk around thinking they are Gods, rely on scare tactics to employees to keep their jobs, no job postings, totally go against contract, management fiddles with time sheet and and does not put correct time in for payroll if ex hours worked, No OT keep disruptive employees who harass other employees,,,
interesting place to work.
Coach Driver (Former Employee), Bonnyville, ABAugust 11, 2014
Pros: co workers helpful, passengers friendly
Cons: not a set schedule and unorganized
leave home at 230am arrive to yard at 3am pretrip leave yard at 320 am drive to cold lake for 420 am leave cold lake at 445 am drive to lacorey for 510 am leave lacorey and go to foster creek for 630am and back to bonnyville for 830am then home till 3pm go to yard for 330pm upto Foster Creek for 6pm to lacorey for 730pm Cold lake for 805pm and back to bonnyville for 9pm post trip and out of yard by 930pm.Was never a set schedule always changing it. Co-workers were good to work with always helpful. The people who rode the bus were the most enjoyable part of the job for getting to meet new people.
People you work with are great
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 4, 2013
Pros: camp, food, flights provided, good wage, people
Cons: management, split shifts (boring in between shifts), no overtime
- Work / Leisure balance is adequate for a short period (14/7)
- Has a great safety culture brought on by Imperial Oil
- Other drivers become close like family
- Management is very inexperienced and has an us vs. you attitude
- Plenty of favouritism and hard work and professionalism is not rewarded
Driving Transit and Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Current Employee), 1225 Riverside Dr. Abbotsford, B.C.April 9, 2013
Pros: customer service
Cons: no advancement
I love driving, dealing with the public on a daily basis is a comfort, putting a smile on someone`s face, makes my day.

Working on the inside of the operation is just as enjoyable, answering the phone is a challenge, I try to put a positive swing on the conversation whenever a customer is unhappy or upset, it`s not easy, but agreeing with them and trying to rectify the problem usually smooths them over.
Very cohesive work group.
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Niagara on the Lake, onJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: split shifts
The job is very satisfying, the people are very supportive. Unfortunately, minimum hours result in a lower pay.
Good money
Coach Driver (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 29, 2013
Pros: driving
Cons: management
Drove workers from camp to job site and picked them up again at the end of their shift. I learned not to trust management.
My coworkers were fine, The hardest part of the job was dealing with management. The most enjoyable part was being out on the road and driving the workers back and forth.
Great Opportunity
Dispatcher at Shell Albian Sands (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 24, 2014
It was a wonderful opportunity for me. I learned a lot in a very short period of time, plus I joined the team at the beginning of one pitstop and transitioned into another one which was challenging, but a valued experience.
Job is not difficult.Way too much fuss about safety
coach operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayNovember 2, 2013
Pros: good paycheque and time off
Cons: unprediktable management
People are frendly and supportive.Coaches are very old,schedules are changed very often which creates lots of confusion.Management ignorant to drivers problems
Great!!
Transit Operator (Former Employee), Newmarket OntarioMarch 19, 2012
Pros: hourly wage, benefits
Cons: buses were not always heated/air conditioned
My time at First Transit Canada was great. Office staff was terrific. Made it a very enjoyable place to work. Very much a family orientated company.