FIRST CANADA Employee Reviews in Canada

Great for stay-at-home moms and retirees
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 9, 2016
Straight forward job working with children and great for someone hoping to supplement income but still maintain "home time."

Good compensation for the work done and possibility for extra income. Early morning starts with starting bus and doing a circle check, then picking up children and driving to school. You do the reverse in the afternoon and then return the bus to the compound and secure it until next use.

Some challenges for situation where vehicle failure occurs and occasional frustration from communication with the office that was not always thorough. Routers are very on top of their job and were always helpful and friendly.
Cons
early morning
Busy but fullfilling
Charter Agent (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 8, 2016
A typical day for me consists of helping with dispatch, billing, contacting customers for a variety of reasons, close contact with the Catholic School Board, communication through emails, and phone calls with the public, school board and clients. Quotes, excel, email, spreadsheets.
I really enjoy working for First Canada, I appreciate the support I have from my manager and those I work with on a daily basis.
The hardest part of my job is not having enough time to do everything that is required of me on a daily basis and therefore I often take my work home with me or stay late.
The most enjoyable part of my day is the easy banter myself and my co workers have with each other, we laugh, talk and support one another.
Pros
Freedom to take time off, and to make mistakes and not be reprimanded
Bullies
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Ft.McMurrayJune 23, 2016
Seemed like a good place to work ,told the starting wage was one thing,then found out it was way less and the wage quoted included benefits..which was a lie and illegal.
Started work and they were such angry and bullying co workers..it was so unreal..
Mostly east coaster..and thought very highly of them self's.
Have the busses in garage running with out exhaust fans on and doors shut in garage...no safety,unless it was for discipline purpose.
No chance to learn, very disappointed with the opportunity with them at kearl lake,tried talking to H.R.,and they just talked over you and I then realised it was a useless discussion...oh well, did my rotation and never went back...it was union also... made no difference...
Make sure you ask a lot of questions about your pay rate and your health and safety
Pros
Camp...
Cons
Bad management and it rolles right down to workers...not a healthy place!!
Safe,on-time
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 26, 2016
I typically worked 14 hours a day and was only paid for 10,but it was the most enjoyable job I have ever have had. I learned to be amongst the few in First Canada to maintain a 100% safety culture. I l was taught from early on how to deal with employees positively and fairly. I also was taught how to deal with our clients honestly respectfully. I am a person that works very well under pressure and stress, so there for I never found my job difficult. The most enjoyable part of my job as a Transportation manager on site was that the personnel were picked up and dropped off safely, on time with out incident. The client was Happy and all my drivers returned safely.
Pros
Rotations in and out of camp
Cons
Rewarding long Hours
First Canada Transit Driver
Class 2QS Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NTMay 31, 2016
Great Company to work for I have an awesome Boss. My day is very busy and very dynamic. Safety is a very real concern for my passengers as well as their comfort. Very mentally intense job watching many things all at once. Traffic, traffic lights, pedestrians, being aware of where my bus is as I pull into bus stops, dealing with hazardous situations in the bus and out of the bus at times, being diplomatic at all times, keeping calm in dangerous situations. However I have enjoyed my driving position very much.
Pros
a great learning position
Fun and Freidnly
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKApril 25, 2016
A typical day for this work for me is amazing i get to meet new people out there and kids. I learn that patience is required and can be stressful at times. Stick to the schedule and you will have no problem. The management is good, my co workers are amazing. I wouldnt say this job is hard but the experience is amazing. driving bus is awesome.. i love this job because i get to be with kids everyday.
ok for a short term
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 14, 2015
management believes that drivers are a dime a dozen we work long hours on a split shift 9-12hrs a day spread over 16hrs.on the plus side it is 10 in and 10 out
Cons
split shifts
Great Place
Supervisor/Site Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 25, 2015
Proper compensation, good management.

Good benefits and RRSP system.

If you work at site as non-union, good flight allowance.
poor management
bus driver (Current Employee) –  Wood Buffalo, ABJanuary 1, 2016
If you are a rat or a weasel, you are in! Poor management and you gotta fight constantly for your rights. It is sad cause the job itself is great.
Pros
work schedule, meet people
Cons
favoritism, bullying, don't get pay OT, don't get pay standby, can't find out how much you have in pension plan, useless union who works for the company, scare tactics...
Stable workplace with consistant work environment
Commercial Transport Mechanic (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaApril 8, 2016
An overall good place to work, with a stable work environment and great pay. Unionized workers with a good benefits package.
excellent work environment
Motorcoach Driver (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, ABNovember 10, 2015
Very productive and safe workplace, and I learned a vast knowledge of working with different clients, and what was expected of me. Very interested in working with a company that maintains a high level of working with Safety.
Pros
Healthy working environment
Cons
split shifts--too much time off between shifts
friendly enviroment
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCOctober 15, 2015
A good company to work for but it takes to long to get a permanent position. Split shifts make for a long day. 2 to 3 years as a casual driver which I was is to long.
Pros
free bus travel
Cons
split shifts
Wonderful Company , Great People
Dispatcher/Route Supervisor (Current Employee) –  CNRLApril 28, 2015
Typical day would include doing Scheduling , Dispatching & Delegating tasks between 90 Drivers. Developed excellent Computer Skills, Trained in a supervisory role.Great Management and amazing co-workers.My Team worked very well together and made work enjoyable. Downside was the wage we received was the lowest wage within the company, but had the most responsibility. It is a great job , with Great people , Just low paid.
Pros
Great People, Camp Accomodations
Cons
Wage, No Oppurtunity for movement within company
Great!!
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Newmarket OntarioMarch 19, 2012
My time at First Transit Canada was great. Office staff was terrific. Made it a very enjoyable place to work. Very much a family orientated company.
Pros
hourly wage, benefits
Cons
buses were not always heated/air conditioned
The number one thing is always Safety
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 14, 2013
Long day, pay could be higher, no benefits, no sick days.
Free BBQs, sometimes coffee and donuts, and sometimes we get a company dinner.
An okay company to work for not horrible but not great
MOTOR COACH OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 18, 2015
A typical day at work is a split shift divided into a handful of hours in the morning and a handful of hours in the evening totaling an eight hour work day.

I enjoy the job and my coworkers. However the management and the company could use some adjustments.
Pros
Housing provided in camp decent wage.
Cons
Not all workers are treated equally.
First Canada Abbotsford and Chilliwack head office 1225 riverside drive contracting for BC Transit in abbotsford, chilliwack and mission, british col
conventional transit operator (Current Employee) –  Fraser ValleyJune 7, 2015
I would love to start naming people here but that would be unprofessional and I can't lower my self to that level. Office staff is to say the least difficult to deal with on a daily basis, some might even say they don't have the experience for such a large company. The office staff enjoy rumor mongering and pride themselves on slagging drivers, just a gossip group that spans from abbotsford to chilliwack with a few select drivers thrown in. It's an industry that counts pennies (didn't they get rid of those) and runs on the back of the working man / woman, but I am sure BC Transit wants it that way. We are considered unskilled labour and treated in the same fashion. There 2 classes of workers those who have worked for 5 years or more and pond scum, the culture among drivers is trashy and unprofessional many of them who unofficially work for management and provide surveillance services, with there own versions. The union that represents the drivers is a culture of its own, they don't want to hear from you and expect a "job stuart" to be the first and last line of defence against the minions of management. The union meetings are held so far away at a remote location in Coquitlam it makes participation in the union difficult, and if you do manage to get out to one they spend an hour and 55 minutes talking about the other members they represent, and five minutes on the bus drivers which our member at large doesn't get to finish a sentence before being hurried along. The current union contract is just a copy of the last one with the dates changed (I think this has been going on  more... for several contracts now, senior drivers decide this). New drivers are hired regularly but it is a revolving door which is used to weed out the ones that cant cut it or get frustrated. I do think that the general manger is good person, someone who tries her best, but I think she has her work cut out for her. Overall it's a job, it pays the bills and i would like to call it a career........but at this time i cant......it's just a job.

Cheers
Pros
you have a job
Cons
just don't know for how long
Fort Hills, easy work, great group of drivers, terrible management team
Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills SuncorDecember 9, 2014
Easy driving, good money if you don't consider we are the only workers on site not getting OT. Management team lacks experience and constantly changes work schedules daily for no reason, consistently late providing next days driving schedule. Pushed to work past compliance regularly. Once a driver, you are not considered for further advancement within the company. They will however take full advantage of your skills and use you in the office to help them do their jobs (and still make you drive).
Drivers are a high turn over due to poor management on site. Because you can be worked a 15 hour period they will stretch your 8 hour day so you start at the beginning of the 15 and end at the 15. Any OT is straight pay, no double or time an a half.
Half a day paid on travel days, work 4 hours early, finish around 6:30am checked out of room by 7am. Fly out around 7:30-8:30PM. Left to wonder the lodge for 12 hours before being flown home. (that part seriously sucks)
If you can get your head around the BS management power games the money is ok however the cleaners make almost 3k more than us a month and we make 6-7 bucks an hour more than they do, so OT makes a huge dif.
Pros
free food and transportaion, accomidation and nice camp, executive rooms
Cons
long days, no ot pay, young inexperienced management, poorly run and no accountablity for management mistakes
Job not hard, but terrible management
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 16, 2014
Very poor management and bullies, Do not care about the employees, lead hands walk around thinking they are Gods, rely on scare tactics to employees to keep their jobs, no job postings, totally go against contract, management fiddles with time sheet and and does not put correct time in for payroll if ex hours worked, No OT keep disruptive employees who harass other employees,,,
Pros
right or wrong your cheque is in the bank
Cons
bad management, poor equipment, mickey moused together, terrible turn around and leave times, no ot, pay own flights, no travel allowance
People you work with are great
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 4, 2013
- Work / Leisure balance is adequate for a short period (14/7)
- Has a great safety culture brought on by Imperial Oil
- Other drivers become close like family
- Management is very inexperienced and has an us vs. you attitude
- Plenty of favouritism and hard work and professionalism is not rewarded
Pros
camp, food, flights provided, good wage, people
Cons
management, split shifts (boring in between shifts), no overtime