Finning Canada Employee Reviews

Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2014
Highly recommended good people and a good atmosphere i don't know what else to say i just want to apply for a couple jobs
Great people to work with as a team
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 May 2014
I enjoyed everything about working with this company as I was originally hired back in 1989 and then left the company for 1 year and 3 months before returning back.
A Great Job
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 April 2014
I finished my apprenticeship through Finning. Once I had completed my apprenticeship. My position became a field service mechanic. Performing warranty jobs at different mine-sites for Finning. Covering short man shifts for the mine-sites. Ranging from PM´s to component change outs, troubleshooting and repairing faulty equipment.
Working for a Caterpillar Dealer was a great experience.
Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray Alberta17 March 2014
T/S, rebuild and maintain a large variety of heavy duty caterpillar equipment.
Very disorganized and a lot of political childishness
Customer Service Advisor (CSA) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Power Systems2 March 2014
The job looks great at first but the disorganized, huge lack of management and favoritism, like being in high school, deems an unpleasant job to be in. Hence the high turn over.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Lack of management, lack of communication, very high turn over
interesting people, learned a lot
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 February 2014
The day would start off with a safety meeting, then we would be assigned tasks for the day.
-Complete the tasks, help the mechanics and tool crib, and keep the shop clean and tidy.
-managers were ok, but often contradicted each-other
-it was frustrating when safety would make certain tasks more difficult by being ridiculous
-really enjoyed the camaraderie with the mechanics
Pros
great pay
Cons
long way away from my family
High turn over for supervisors
SERVICE SUPERVISOR/CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton,AB21 November 2013
Not a good spot for long term and the lack of support from the management.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Union controlled
Looked great.
Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, Alberta2 November 2013
I was only with them for 28 days as part of the practical training for FINNtech. In that time I really loved working for and with the people there. Only regret was not being successful in the provincial exam.
Pros
Great people.
Cons
Wasn't there long enough to figure out.
great guys
Track Press operator (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurray14 October 2013
great company and pay and benifits are great as well . Really enjoyed working for them.
Great work experience and benefits. Options for advancement poor.
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC5 October 2013
My overall satisfaction with this company was poor. I do not feel that Finning's management and supervision had any real grasp on managing people or understanding the needs of the business beyond bottom line dollars and cents. Work experience great, training minimal (for a dealership), monetary remuneration exceptional and benefits were wonderful attributes to have.

Conclusion: Finning pays well but cannot organize work or streamline communication. All in all I personally would not recommend this company and have no personal desire to return to work for it either.
Great company and rewarding job
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 September 2013
I really enjoyed working at Finning as really good employees to work with and opportunities to learn about Heavy Equipment
OK
LEADHAND TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 September 2013
GOOD PEOPLE, COMPANY HAS CHANGED A GREAT DEAL OF ETHICS TOWARS EMPLOYEES
Pros
FLEXIBLE HOURS
Cons
UNTRAINED NEW MANAGEMENT
Great benefits, fun place to work
Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 July 2013
Recently went through system change, and internal job postings are few and far between. This makes long term progression plan very difficult.
Exciting, fast pace industry with great focus on personnel development
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISOR - EMS GROUP HEAD OFFICE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2013
A typical day at work would start with a Safety Meeting with my co workers, check emails, start daily work, review any issues with customers, co workers and or supervisor, lunch with the girls in the lunch room, complete daily routine, review weekly progress, prioritize next day work. Assist co workers if necessary.

Hardest part of the job was getting a quick response from management on current issues without holding up the daily routine.

Consist recognition for work well done, plenty of incentive to perform well daily, enjoyed working with my co workers, we had alot of fun.

Pros
Personnel development, consist team building with co workers, good safety practises, profit sharing, HSA, great benefits, 6 weeks vacation
Cons
Slow response on issues from management due to lengthly processes
Productive workplace and Awesome People
Adminstrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC14 May 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job is that you are never bored. There are always things to do and new things to learn. Also, the people are very nice and its a fun atmosphere.
Pros
Everyone is really helpful and nice
Cons
working in the evenings can be difficult sometimes.
Overall Finning is not what I expected for a world class dealer.
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 April 2013
Upper Management at the dealership level are not qualified to run the dealerships (oil sands in particular) .Middle management along with the employee's care about happens with in , but had no input in decisions made by upper management .Had a great team and enjoyed working with them all.I learned not to trust management above you , they simple don't care , looking after themselves .
Pros
wages and benefits are excellent, most team members cared.
Cons
i was all ways looking over my shoulder . management never backed up their supervisors
productive and customer satisfaction driven
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC21 February 2013
customer satisfaction driven
no expense spared on training
everyone was part of a team
best place i've ever worked
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC21 February 2013
Company spared no expense on training
Supervisors were understanding and helpful
Everyone lent a hand when required
Pros
fair, great pay, excellent benefits
Cons
nothing bad to say
okay to work for
Parts (Former Employee) –  Alberta19 February 2013
busy, management does not follow through with safe work procedures.
Pros
shift work
Cons
not enough training
Kearl Life
Field Safety Officer Finning Canada (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 February 2013
The Kearl moto is Nobody gets hurt and protect today for tomorrow, you can see straight from the get go once the oreintation starts to kick off this is not like the rest of the sites, safety is not just a bargaining chip for admission to work, it is taken seriuos at every level and if you think that you cant work safe this is not the place for you. The teams I work with are from all over Canada and have the exeprince and knowledge that you could only dream of having in your work environment. Everyone brings something different and everyone brings something weather knowlege or just good humour. The attitudes are far superiour to anywhere I have worked and really hone in the great attitudes that everyone brings to the table.There is lots of opertunity on thois site and I believe I will probably be here for a while, but there is always opertunities with other great companies to, which make my job and scope so dynamic. Safety is not for everyone but if you are a team player and you enjoy interaction, as well as good interventions the list are endless.
Pros
flights from edmonton to camp
Cons
the rooms were executive but they were taken away as the truck drivers were promised the delux room, so that has added pressure to the job.