Finning Canada Employee Reviews

Regularily lays off employees every four years or so
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2015
You've been warned! They will even lay off people who have worked there for over 30 years. No loyalty to their employees but expect loyalty in return.
Pros
lay-offs, lay-offs, lay-offs
Cons
lay-offs, lay-offs, lay-offs
Great benefits and work...but some bad apples seem to poison the atmosphere
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  calgary, ab3 September 2015
I liked working at finning. The facilities are good, pay is excellent, I liked the work, great benefits and they supplied most of the tooling. However; the general moral of the shop is quite bad. ?Which I don't understand? The company has no freedom to release poor workers due to the union and seniority. I fear that they may not shake this new negative image.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
poor management/co-worker attitudes
works as a Heavy Equipment Technician
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2015
I like to start the work day thinking in how to do the work better. Following the work instructions & using the right tools. The communication in the work environment is the key of learning the easiest & better way to work as a team. I like to be responsible. The most enjoyable part of this job is when everybody works as a Team finishing our duties on time. Great place to work, believe highly in training and support for Front Line Supervisors. Management is also very supportive and helpful, Huge Focus on Safety.
Advancements are great
Administrative Assistant / Literature Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2015
started out in accounts payables. Moved my family to B.C. and then back to Alberta. Moved from accounting to administrative assistanc. Where I looked after 25 new sales persons.
good people, good atmosphere
Material Supply Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2015
Finning was a great place to work with good training courses, employee support and a terrific benefits package. Also many opportunities for advancement,
Challenging and interesting.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Ekati, NWT22 August 2015
Lots of variety. You never knew what you were going to do from day to day. You can be out in the snow bank putting tracks on a bulldozer and in the shop during services.
Solo puedo decir que siempre escuche buena noticias de canada
Jefe de bodega (Former Employee) –  Canada18 August 2015
Para poder trabajar en bodega debe justarte el trabajo
Un día de trabajo típico Apoyar a mis compañeros de taller con mis conocimientos en repuestos y sistema SIS, mas todo mi capacidad de memoria para poder recordar número de parte y ubicaciones de formar normal
Puedo contar, que el constante apoyo de mi jefe directo fue primordial para poder llegar a ser jefe de bodega en una de las principales minera de chile. También confirmar que mis colegas podían confiar en mis conocimientos y de esa manera poder retro alimentarme de los suyos, para conseguir usar de formar satisfactoria el sistema SIS y los manuales de parte.
La parte más difícil de mi trabajo fue el continuo cambio de faena y con eso arrastras a mi familia lo que implico cambio de colegios, casas ciudades hasta regiones para la familia
Lo que más le Gusto fue poder aprender mecánica como apoyo (no soy experto y mucho menos pero me defiendo)
Pros
me gusta mi trabajo
Cons
Continuos cambio de lugar d etrabajo
looking to move forward with a company that will allow me to grow.
warehouse person (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 July 2015
Finning has been a great company to work for. It will be hard to give up my current position but My time in Fort Mcmurray has come to an end.
Great workers, horrifying management and office staff
Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McKay25 June 2015
I worked for Finning Oil Sands for almost 3 years.

I have worked with some of the best and brightest workers in my life.

Minus the supervisors, management and office staff, however, have absolutely ZERO clue what is going on in the shop.

ZERO communication.That's what leads to disasters. If the office staff walked out of their offices for even 5 minutes and communicated with workers in the shop, everything would be smooth sailing.

As an apprentice, I've seen some of these jokers of people screw up my blue book, OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. I have to send it back to them, and they'd ask "What for?"

The recent lay offs are ridiculous as well. Sure, lay off 600+ workers and buy a neighbouring Cat dealership, why don't you?
Pros
Decent benefits, great pay, good atmosphere.
Cons
Incompetent office staff.
Comes in highly recommended with an excellent safety culture.
Apprentice 4th year (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 June 2015
Reasonable timelines and training opportunities
Very experienced team mates.
Each day has its unique challenges.
Most work accomplished as targeted.
Incomplete information can take a hefty turn
For consolation, we are often able to finish a product better than expected.
Pros
Appreciation from employee input
Cons
Priorities do not line up with budgets sometimes
Good place to get into the industry
Material Supply Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary3 June 2015
Overall a good place to get your start in the rock and dirt industry. Shift work for most positions, unless salary. Overtime pay, benefits, vacation pay.
What was once Great company has been slipping away in recent years
Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 June 2015
Finning was once a good company to work for, in recent years they have lost sight of what made them good and have been focusing on purchasing new territory and creating more management positions while reducing their effective work force.

The culture has changed, once it was a family, you were proud to be a part of, now you are ashamed of how your colleagues are treated.
Finning is one of the best company i've worked with,full of fun and productive.
(HET) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray,AB.15 May 2015
working at finning is full of excitement, on a typical day working on a 797F truck (new),assembling monster components. I have learn so much at finning I cannot say it all, but in a few words I have learn how to calibrate all components, up date software, enter injector trim codes, know how to use (SIS)/(ET) and others. Management isn't perfect but co-workers. The hardest part of my job is when there is not much to do. The most enjoyable part of my job is get the job done in record time.
Great People. Poor Managment
Tool Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort McKay/Fort McMurray/Mildred Lake7 May 2015
-The work is fine and co-workers are top notch.
-The pay rates are excellent.
-The shift I had was awesome. 14 days on and 14 days off, 12 hour days.
-Learned a lot working there. Great experiences for sure.
-I got laid off twice in 4 years so there is no real job security unless you are upper management.
-Work was always changing so it stayed interesting and challenging.
-Most enjoyable part of the job to me was always running the equipment.
Pros
Great Co-workers, Supervisors and low level Managers, Room for Advancement.
Cons
Upper Management seemed very disconnected from the staff.
Great Products and some good people
Mining Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC7 May 2015
Finning was a wonderful place to work, but as the company has grown people are numbers and the company really only values the bottom line profit. Reviewing the companies history you will find numerous cycles of panic hiring and mass layoffs. Out side of that training is good and the people are professional. The employees are typically a cut above.
Pros
Salary Compensation is good, Access to Caterpillar's great training.
Cons
Corporately driven with little care for employees, unstable employment with numerous layoffs
Good people to work with
Apprentice Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC26 April 2015
Good company, good benefits, good pay , great work atmosphere, they stress safety a lot, happy place to be,
almost everyone there would never voluntarily leave , which is a good place to work , in my eyes
Pros
The Union
Cons
Management makes questionable decisions, but they see the whole picture, we dont
Fun place to work
Third Year Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 April 2015
Job-related paper work
Caterpillar equipment experience - mining, forestry, construction & truck engines
Troubleshooting equipment
Safe use of job-related tooling and equipment
Following direction from journey persons & supervisors
Pros
Good working environment
A chaotic mess from the top to the bottom
Admin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 April 2015
Finning is sinking - 650 people let go, they closed the main office building and the truck shop but does this change the spending - no!
Management is chaotic and always jumping to the next "thing"
Management is based in another city leaving the employees to behave badly - the way people treat one another at that company is appalling and it goes unchecked. Stay away from the zoo

Senior management makes everyone stop and listen to them talk about saving money even though sr management got their large year end bonuses. No raises this year and 1 week off without pay for everyone with talk of cutting benefits but still paying $85,000/month to house people in hotels so they can work at finning.

Save yourself the frustration and annoyance and look elsewhere.
Cons
Many see review
fun place to work
Think Big Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Victoria, Bc Red deer, Ab8 April 2015
Great company to work for. got me through school. unfortunately economic times means there is no position for me at the company
Pros
lots od different work
Overall great company
Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 April 2015
I enjoyed working at Finning Canada,
Great company, Family team feel, structured platform and great work relationships.
Pros
Great rotation
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Finning Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval