Finning Canada Employee Reviews

High School games at their best
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 January 2016
Office gossip, slackers getting away with anything they want.
Managment wants to be your best friend instead of in charge to deal with the issues.

No job security, constent worry over job loss.
Too much dorperate red tape, unable to introduce new ideas to make the work place more ffiecent due to old school thinking.
Journeyman Heavy Equipment Tech (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2016
I enjoyed my time at Finning. The environment was always positive and enjoyable, The management team was easy to deal with and well trained to oversee myself and my coworkers. I spent alot of time working on hydraulic problems, replacing and rebuilding components, fixing electrical problems, completing recalls and safety updates. Worked on all cat skid steers, telehandlers, loaders, excavators, packers and other caterpillar equipment. The hardest part of the day was sweeping the floor or cleaning while waiting for parts to show up, it makes the day longer, i would rather be working constantly. The most enjoyable part of the day was fixing a problem that others werent able to, it gave a sense of pride.
Pros
Overtime, wages, safety program
Good Starting Point, Room for advancement
VisionLink Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2016
I enjoyed working with Finning for its people and the opportunity to grow within the company. The benefits are good and the salary is fair (depending on which position you apply for) I learned quite a bit and left as a more mature professional. The company is making big efforts to become more in touch with its work force however the bottom line is the bottom line and corners are cut to maximize on profits or high expectations are to be met with little support. It can be challenging at times to find a work-life balance as there is so much to do and because the company is so big it can be frustrating to coordinate with other departments to ensure that customer requests and purchases are handled effectively. Salesforce is highly valued..sometimes to the detriment of personnel and company protocols.
Overall I am proud to say I worked at Finning. Apply if you are a hardworking person who doesn't mind putting in a little extra.
Pros
People, benefits, room for advancement
Cons
Lot of pressure, long hours, Confusing processes
Good Consulting
Business Analyst (Contracting) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 December 2015
Good Consulting Environment and good work life balance, good benefits for consultants and contractors, the management still needs to be improved, very poor management overall.
Good for the union employees
Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 December 2015
As a tech they were a good employer. Ended up having to leave due to lack of progression.
Finning Can be ruthless with the non-union staff when it comes to layoffs etc, very little job security.
Pros
Well respected company
Operations Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 November 2015
Fast paced, results driven, customer focused, operations excellence and continous improvement; Excellent health and safety culture; overall great team work environment.
Well established organisation
Journeyman Certified Partsman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 November 2015
Fast pace environment, customer service and excellence, Excellent environment to work, good employees. Provides good training and income and benefits. Enjoyable environment and established corporation.
Great Employer
Project Manager, Mining Major Overhauls (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 November 2015
this was a great company to work for. I worked at several mines and it was a good experience to see all that I saw. the only negative was the ups and downs of the oil industry.
Overall good place to work
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 November 2015
Worlds largest Cat heavy equipment dealer, service and repairing what they sell.
a lot of good talented people there and excellent corporate and safety culture.
Definitely corporate run, not a mom and pop establishment anymore with a large union workforce.
Working out in the cold up north away from family is the hardest thing, but the good paycheck and getting to work on some of the biggest heavy equipment in the world is definitely cool.
Pros
Good paycheque and safety culture
Cons
working out of town in cold
Finning Canada
Journeyman Heavy Duty Technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 November 2015
A great place to work before lay-offs, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Wide range of equipment to learn and work on. The company had a good training courses employees could take.
Pros
great staff
Cons
lay-offs
Fun workplace with many chances for advancement.
Human Resources Representative / Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 November 2015
A great learning experience. This was the biggest company I had ever worked for, so it was a good opportunity for me to learn from others. There was lots of variety in my job. Had the privilege of going to workshops, training meetings, etc. to help me be more productive and perform my day-to-day tasks more effectively.
This was a good company but is no longer in business.
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB31 October 2015
It was a good place to work, fast paced and exciting. Unfortunately due to GM's ecomonic conditions in recent years the company closed down. The owner was an outstanding citizen.
Pros
Monday to Friday job.
Cons
It was a difficult location to work in the winter months.
Challenging and enjoyable place to work
Red Seal Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB6 October 2015
A place to challenge and grow in the trade I was hired to preform. Training, and a variety of experiences available to challenge an employee to grow and develope.
Good Wages, Good Benefits
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer2 October 2015
Good place to work in the beginning, but only thing that kept employees was the wage, and the benefits package. When you worked with a team, it was great. Union environment, so you get some lazy co-workers
Pros
Good Wage, Good Benefits
Cons
Mis-Management
Fun
Tax Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2015
Good company to work for. Good environment. Oppurtunity for advanceement. Good managment very proactive. Good work culture. Good team building activities.
good place to work, good people work there
heavy equipment technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer Alberta28 September 2015
good work environment, good hours to work overtime available when
wanted. unfortunately I was laid off due to economic times
Regularily lays off employees every four years or so
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2015
You've been warned! They will even lay off people who have worked there for over 30 years. No loyalty to their employees but expect loyalty in return.
Pros
lay-offs, lay-offs, lay-offs
Cons
lay-offs, lay-offs, lay-offs
Great benefits and work...but some bad apples seem to poison the atmosphere
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  calgary, ab3 September 2015
I liked working at finning. The facilities are good, pay is excellent, I liked the work, great benefits and they supplied most of the tooling. However; the general moral of the shop is quite bad. ?Which I don't understand? The company has no freedom to release poor workers due to the union and seniority. I fear that they may not shake this new negative image.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
poor management/co-worker attitudes
works as a Heavy Equipment Technician
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2015
I like to start the work day thinking in how to do the work better. Following the work instructions & using the right tools. The communication in the work environment is the key of learning the easiest & better way to work as a team. I like to be responsible. The most enjoyable part of this job is when everybody works as a Team finishing our duties on time. Great place to work, believe highly in training and support for Front Line Supervisors. Management is also very supportive and helpful, Huge Focus on Safety.
Advancements are great
Administrative Assistant / Literature Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2015
started out in accounts payables. Moved my family to B.C. and then back to Alberta. Moved from accounting to administrative assistanc. Where I looked after 25 new sales persons.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Finning Canada. Our community is ready to answer.