Finning Canada Employee Reviews

Fast Paced
Laboratory Technician - certified (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 April 2016
Time sensitive and result oriented Lab.
High Expectations for Service Excellence.
Customer specific analysis and interpretation.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Stresful
Great People. Poor Managment
Tool Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort McKay/Fort McMurray/Mildred Lake7 May 2015
-The work is fine and co-workers are top notch.
-The pay rates are excellent.
-The shift I had was awesome. 14 days on and 14 days off, 12 hour days.
-Learned a lot working there. Great experiences for sure.
-I got laid off twice in 4 years so there is no real job security unless you are upper management.
-Work was always changing so it stayed interesting and challenging.
-Most enjoyable part of the job to me was always running the equipment.
Pros
Great Co-workers, Supervisors and low level Managers, Room for Advancement.
Cons
Upper Management seemed very disconnected from the staff.
great guys to work along side with
Full time heavy duty mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 October 2012
Most enjoyable part of my job is the chance to learn and try new things
benefits
Cons
travel
great guys
Track Press operator (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurray14 October 2013
great company and pay and benifits are great as well . Really enjoyed working for them.
Great company!
Recruitment Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 July 2014
My years with NACG were great. Great team, managment and salary/benefits.
Overall good place to work
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 November 2015
Worlds largest Cat heavy equipment dealer, service and repairing what they sell.
a lot of good talented people there and excellent corporate and safety culture.
Definitely corporate run, not a mom and pop establishment anymore with a large union workforce.
Working out in the cold up north away from family is the hardest thing, but the good paycheck and getting to work on some of the biggest heavy equipment in the world is definitely cool.
Pros
Good paycheque and safety culture
Cons
working out of town in cold
Great Enviroment
Parts Technician Customer Counter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 March 2016
Great people, Dealing with walk-in and telephone customers for Heavy Duty Cat parts. So many machines & interchangeable accessories make this a time consuming, interesting place of employment.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Shift Work
works as a Heavy Equipment Technician
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2015
I like to start the work day thinking in how to do the work better. Following the work instructions & using the right tools. The communication in the work environment is the key of learning the easiest & better way to work as a team. I like to be responsible. The most enjoyable part of this job is when everybody works as a Team finishing our duties on time. Great place to work, believe highly in training and support for Front Line Supervisors. Management is also very supportive and helpful, Huge Focus on Safety.
Good for the union employees
Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 December 2015
As a tech they were a good employer. Ended up having to leave due to lack of progression.
Finning Can be ruthless with the non-union staff when it comes to layoffs etc, very little job security.
Pros
Well respected company
No Job security
Inventory Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK24 February 2016
There is always an insecurity about the job since oil prices started dropping. The company should be run a in a much better way than it is right now.
Best Cat dealer
Director - Engineered Solutions Power Generation (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 February 2016
Thoroughly enjoy my time at Finning Power Systems. Plenty of freedom to build and develop the business. Smart leadership team. Market leader in every respect.
Pros
Cons
Travel
What was once Great company has been slipping away in recent years
Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 June 2015
Finning was once a good company to work for, in recent years they have lost sight of what made them good and have been focusing on purchasing new territory and creating more management positions while reducing their effective work force.

The culture has changed, once it was a family, you were proud to be a part of, now you are ashamed of how your colleagues are treated.
Operations Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 November 2015
Fast paced, results driven, customer focused, operations excellence and continous improvement; Excellent health and safety culture; overall great team work environment.
Finning is one of the best company i've worked with,full of fun and productive.
(HET) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray,AB.15 May 2015
working at finning is full of excitement, on a typical day working on a 797F truck (new),assembling monster components. I have learn so much at finning I cannot say it all, but in a few words I have learn how to calibrate all components, up date software, enter injector trim codes, know how to use (SIS)/(ET) and others. Management isn't perfect but co-workers. The hardest part of my job is when there is not much to do. The most enjoyable part of my job is get the job done in record time.
Fun workplace with many chances for advancement.
Human Resources Representative / Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 November 2015
A great learning experience. This was the biggest company I had ever worked for, so it was a good opportunity for me to learn from others. There was lots of variety in my job. Had the privilege of going to workshops, training meetings, etc. to help me be more productive and perform my day-to-day tasks more effectively.
Good learning experience
Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McKay7 October 2014
Organize, plan, manage and execute a service repair for various heavy equipment.
Manage direct reports, mentor and coach individual technicians.
Pros
Job work/Life balance
Cons
Stress of front line management. keeping senior management happy as well as union staff happy.
great place for a summer student
Summer Student Material Supply Assistant (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurray2 December 2014
Most people were very helpful
work was enjoyable
hardest part of my day was waking up long hours but i rather work longer hours and get more days off anyways
management was great
Pros
they proved a bus to get from and to work
Accounts Receivable Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 November 2014
The hardest part of my job is finding to time to handle the volume of customers calling in regularly. The most enjoyable part of my day is getting to work and having our team meetings with my coworkers. Just gives us a a moment to touch base with one another and see if there is anyway we can help each other get through the week.
Pros
Work life balance is great
Cons
Not paid enough
This was a good company but is no longer in business.
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB31 October 2015
It was a good place to work, fast paced and exciting. Unfortunately due to GM's ecomonic conditions in recent years the company closed down. The owner was an outstanding citizen.
Pros
Monday to Friday job.
Cons
It was a difficult location to work in the winter months.
Great Employer
Project Manager, Mining Major Overhauls (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 November 2015
this was a great company to work for. I worked at several mines and it was a good experience to see all that I saw. the only negative was the ups and downs of the oil industry.