Finning Canada Employee Reviews

Great Employer
Project Manager, Mining Major Overhauls (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 November 2015
this was a great company to work for. I worked at several mines and it was a good experience to see all that I saw. the only negative was the ups and downs of the oil industry.
Overall good place to work
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 November 2015
Worlds largest Cat heavy equipment dealer, service and repairing what they sell.
a lot of good talented people there and excellent corporate and safety culture.
Definitely corporate run, not a mom and pop establishment anymore with a large union workforce.
Working out in the cold up north away from family is the hardest thing, but the good paycheck and getting to work on some of the biggest heavy equipment in the world is definitely cool.
Pros
Good paycheque and safety culture
Cons
working out of town in cold
Finning Canada
Journeyman Heavy Duty Technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 November 2015
A great place to work before lay-offs, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Wide range of equipment to learn and work on. The company had a good training courses employees could take.
Pros
great staff
Cons
lay-offs
Fun workplace with many chances for advancement.
Human Resources Representative / Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 November 2015
A great learning experience. This was the biggest company I had ever worked for, so it was a good opportunity for me to learn from others. There was lots of variety in my job. Had the privilege of going to workshops, training meetings, etc. to help me be more productive and perform my day-to-day tasks more effectively.
This was a good company but is no longer in business.
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB31 October 2015
It was a good place to work, fast paced and exciting. Unfortunately due to GM's ecomonic conditions in recent years the company closed down. The owner was an outstanding citizen.
Pros
Monday to Friday job.
Cons
It was a difficult location to work in the winter months.
Challenging and enjoyable place to work
Red Seal Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB6 October 2015
A place to challenge and grow in the trade I was hired to preform. Training, and a variety of experiences available to challenge an employee to grow and develope.
Good Wages, Good Benefits
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer2 October 2015
Good place to work in the beginning, but only thing that kept employees was the wage, and the benefits package. When you worked with a team, it was great. Union environment, so you get some lazy co-workers
Pros
Good Wage, Good Benefits
Cons
Mis-Management
Fun
Tax Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2015
Good company to work for. Good environment. Oppurtunity for advanceement. Good managment very proactive. Good work culture. Good team building activities.
good place to work, good people work there
heavy equipment technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer Alberta28 September 2015
good work environment, good hours to work overtime available when
wanted. unfortunately I was laid off due to economic times
Regularily lays off employees every four years or so
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2015
You've been warned! They will even lay off people who have worked there for over 30 years. No loyalty to their employees but expect loyalty in return.
Pros
lay-offs, lay-offs, lay-offs
Cons
lay-offs, lay-offs, lay-offs
Great benefits and work...but some bad apples seem to poison the atmosphere
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  calgary, ab3 September 2015
I liked working at finning. The facilities are good, pay is excellent, I liked the work, great benefits and they supplied most of the tooling. However; the general moral of the shop is quite bad. ?Which I don't understand? The company has no freedom to release poor workers due to the union and seniority. I fear that they may not shake this new negative image.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
poor management/co-worker attitudes
works as a Heavy Equipment Technician
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2015
I like to start the work day thinking in how to do the work better. Following the work instructions & using the right tools. The communication in the work environment is the key of learning the easiest & better way to work as a team. I like to be responsible. The most enjoyable part of this job is when everybody works as a Team finishing our duties on time. Great place to work, believe highly in training and support for Front Line Supervisors. Management is also very supportive and helpful, Huge Focus on Safety.
Advancements are great
Administrative Assistant / Literature Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2015
started out in accounts payables. Moved my family to B.C. and then back to Alberta. Moved from accounting to administrative assistanc. Where I looked after 25 new sales persons.
good people, good atmosphere
Material Supply Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2015
Finning was a great place to work with good training courses, employee support and a terrific benefits package. Also many opportunities for advancement,
Challenging and interesting.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Ekati, NWT22 August 2015
Lots of variety. You never knew what you were going to do from day to day. You can be out in the snow bank putting tracks on a bulldozer and in the shop during services.
Solo puedo decir que siempre escuche buena noticias de canada
Jefe de bodega (Former Employee) –  Canada18 August 2015
Para poder trabajar en bodega debe justarte el trabajo
Un día de trabajo típico Apoyar a mis compañeros de taller con mis conocimientos en repuestos y sistema SIS, mas todo mi capacidad de memoria para poder recordar número de parte y ubicaciones de formar normal
Puedo contar, que el constante apoyo de mi jefe directo fue primordial para poder llegar a ser jefe de bodega en una de las principales minera de chile. También confirmar que mis colegas podían confiar en mis conocimientos y de esa manera poder retro alimentarme de los suyos, para conseguir usar de formar satisfactoria el sistema SIS y los manuales de parte.
La parte más difícil de mi trabajo fue el continuo cambio de faena y con eso arrastras a mi familia lo que implico cambio de colegios, casas ciudades hasta regiones para la familia
Lo que más le Gusto fue poder aprender mecánica como apoyo (no soy experto y mucho menos pero me defiendo)
Pros
me gusta mi trabajo
Cons
Continuos cambio de lugar d etrabajo
looking to move forward with a company that will allow me to grow.
warehouse person (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 July 2015
Finning has been a great company to work for. It will be hard to give up my current position but My time in Fort Mcmurray has come to an end.
Great workers, horrifying management and office staff
Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McKay25 June 2015
I worked for Finning Oil Sands for almost 3 years.

I have worked with some of the best and brightest workers in my life.

Minus the supervisors, management and office staff, however, have absolutely ZERO clue what is going on in the shop.

ZERO communication.That's what leads to disasters. If the office staff walked out of their offices for even 5 minutes and communicated with workers in the shop, everything would be smooth sailing.

As an apprentice, I've seen some of these jokers of people screw up my blue book, OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. I have to send it back to them, and they'd ask "What for?"

The recent lay offs are ridiculous as well. Sure, lay off 600+ workers and buy a neighbouring Cat dealership, why don't you?
Pros
Decent benefits, great pay, good atmosphere.
Cons
Incompetent office staff.
Comes in highly recommended with an excellent safety culture.
Apprentice 4th year (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 June 2015
Reasonable timelines and training opportunities
Very experienced team mates.
Each day has its unique challenges.
Most work accomplished as targeted.
Incomplete information can take a hefty turn
For consolation, we are often able to finish a product better than expected.
Pros
Appreciation from employee input
Cons
Priorities do not line up with budgets sometimes
Good place to get into the industry
Material Supply Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary3 June 2015
Overall a good place to get your start in the rock and dirt industry. Shift work for most positions, unless salary. Overtime pay, benefits, vacation pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Finning Canada. Our community is ready to answer.