Finning Canada Employee Reviews

Finning is one of the best company i've worked with,full of fun and productive.
(HET) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray,AB.15 May 2015
working at finning is full of excitement, on a typical day working on a 797F truck (new),assembling monster components. I have learn so much at finning I cannot say it all, but in a few words I have learn how to calibrate all components, up date software, enter injector trim codes, know how to use (SIS)/(ET) and others. Management isn't perfect but co-workers. The hardest part of my job is when there is not much to do. The most enjoyable part of my job is get the job done in record time.
Great People. Poor Managment
Tool Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort McKay/Fort McMurray/Mildred Lake7 May 2015
-The work is fine and co-workers are top notch.
-The pay rates are excellent.
-The shift I had was awesome. 14 days on and 14 days off, 12 hour days.
-Learned a lot working there. Great experiences for sure.
-I got laid off twice in 4 years so there is no real job security unless you are upper management.
-Work was always changing so it stayed interesting and challenging.
-Most enjoyable part of the job to me was always running the equipment.
Pros
Great Co-workers, Supervisors and low level Managers, Room for Advancement.
Cons
Upper Management seemed very disconnected from the staff.
Great Products and some good people
Mining Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC7 May 2015
Finning was a wonderful place to work, but as the company has grown people are numbers and the company really only values the bottom line profit. Reviewing the companies history you will find numerous cycles of panic hiring and mass layoffs. Out side of that training is good and the people are professional. The employees are typically a cut above.
Pros
Salary Compensation is good, Access to Caterpillar's great training.
Cons
Corporately driven with little care for employees, unstable employment with numerous layoffs
Great workers, horrifying management and office staff
Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McKay25 June 2015
I worked for Finning Oil Sands for almost 3 years.

I have worked with some of the best and brightest workers in my life.

Minus the supervisors, management and office staff, however, have absolutely ZERO clue what is going on in the shop.

ZERO communication.That's what leads to disasters. If the office staff walked out of their offices for even 5 minutes and communicated with workers in the shop, everything would be smooth sailing.

As an apprentice, I've seen some of these jokers of people screw up my blue book, OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. I have to send it back to them, and they'd ask "What for?"

The recent lay offs are ridiculous as well. Sure, lay off 600+ workers and buy a neighbouring Cat dealership, why don't you?
Pros
Decent benefits, great pay, good atmosphere.
Cons
Incompetent office staff.
Good Consulting
Business Analyst (Contracting) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 December 2015
Good Consulting Environment and good work life balance, good benefits for consultants and contractors, the management still needs to be improved, very poor management overall.
A good place to work.
Customer Service Advisor, Field Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 March 2015
-Typical day was 40% customer interaction, 60% computer work.

-I learned to how to effectively negotiate with customers both internal and external.

-Excellent people to work with.

-Hardest part of the job was negotiating with internal branches and third party vendors on costs that do not belong to Finning or their customers.

-Best part of the job was the low stress of the position itself. Finning has many people which can provide many levels of support where required.
Pros
Great benifits, low stress
Cons
Finning tends to hire when it is busy and terminate when it is slow, The recent oil price decrease resulted in 500 jobs cut from their budget.
A chaotic mess from the top to the bottom
Admin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 April 2015
Finning is sinking - 650 people let go, they closed the main office building and the truck shop but does this change the spending - no!
Management is chaotic and always jumping to the next "thing"
Management is based in another city leaving the employees to behave badly - the way people treat one another at that company is appalling and it goes unchecked. Stay away from the zoo

Senior management makes everyone stop and listen to them talk about saving money even though sr management got their large year end bonuses. No raises this year and 1 week off without pay for everyone with talk of cutting benefits but still paying $85,000/month to house people in hotels so they can work at finning.

Save yourself the frustration and annoyance and look elsewhere.
Cons
Many see review
Finning Canada
Journeyman Heavy Duty Technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 November 2015
A great place to work before lay-offs, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Wide range of equipment to learn and work on. The company had a good training courses employees could take.
Pros
great staff
Cons
lay-offs
Great work experience and benefits. Options for advancement poor.
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC5 October 2013
My overall satisfaction with this company was poor. I do not feel that Finning's management and supervision had any real grasp on managing people or understanding the needs of the business beyond bottom line dollars and cents. Work experience great, training minimal (for a dealership), monetary remuneration exceptional and benefits were wonderful attributes to have.

Conclusion: Finning pays well but cannot organize work or streamline communication. All in all I personally would not recommend this company and have no personal desire to return to work for it either.
Overall Finning is not what I expected for a world class dealer.
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 April 2013
Upper Management at the dealership level are not qualified to run the dealerships (oil sands in particular) .Middle management along with the employee's care about happens with in , but had no input in decisions made by upper management .Had a great team and enjoyed working with them all.I learned not to trust management above you , they simple don't care , looking after themselves .
Pros
wages and benefits are excellent, most team members cared.
Cons
i was all ways looking over my shoulder . management never backed up their supervisors
Good Wages, Good Benefits
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer2 October 2015
Good place to work in the beginning, but only thing that kept employees was the wage, and the benefits package. When you worked with a team, it was great. Union environment, so you get some lazy co-workers
Pros
Good Wage, Good Benefits
Cons
Mis-Management
interesting people, learned a lot
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 February 2014
The day would start off with a safety meeting, then we would be assigned tasks for the day.
-Complete the tasks, help the mechanics and tool crib, and keep the shop clean and tidy.
-managers were ok, but often contradicted each-other
-it was frustrating when safety would make certain tasks more difficult by being ridiculous
-really enjoyed the camaraderie with the mechanics
Pros
great pay
Cons
long way away from my family
Accounts Receivable Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 November 2014
The hardest part of my job is finding to time to handle the volume of customers calling in regularly. The most enjoyable part of my day is getting to work and having our team meetings with my coworkers. Just gives us a a moment to touch base with one another and see if there is anyway we can help each other get through the week.
Pros
Work life balance is great
Cons
Not paid enough
Summary Review
JOURNEYMAN PARTSMAN (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 November 2012
12 hour shifts begin with a 60 - 75 minute Coach ride.
Pre shift safety & awareness meetings followed by Pass over review.
Issue parts for shop job reqiurements, input sales transactions, deliver parts, assist with all availability inquiries.

Management keeps staff engaged.

Job Satisfaction overall ranks high.
Pros
enjoyable organized work place
Cons
long work days including commute from fort mcmurray
A Great Job
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 April 2014
I finished my apprenticeship through Finning. Once I had completed my apprenticeship. My position became a field service mechanic. Performing warranty jobs at different mine-sites for Finning. Covering short man shifts for the mine-sites. Ranging from PM´s to component change outs, troubleshooting and repairing faulty equipment.
Working for a Caterpillar Dealer was a great experience.
Great Employer
Project Manager, Mining Major Overhauls (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 November 2015
this was a great company to work for. I worked at several mines and it was a good experience to see all that I saw. the only negative was the ups and downs of the oil industry.
Upper management leads by harassment and Bullying
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 March 2015
Middle management up thru General Management manage by intimidation and harassment. Very toxic work environment. Union tells management how to run the company. Too bad because this could be a great place to work.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
No job security/union tells management how to run the company
Regularily lays off employees every four years or so
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2015
You've been warned! They will even lay off people who have worked there for over 30 years. No loyalty to their employees but expect loyalty in return.
Pros
lay-offs, lay-offs, lay-offs
Cons
lay-offs, lay-offs, lay-offs
Great place to work if you dont mind the cold
Field technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray21 January 2015
Worked there for 2 years almost got laid off in the first 6 months as there was a small recession then recently got laid off again as a result of the recent low oil prices and to much supply. Overall i am not confident working for finning and dont know if i will go back.
Pros
Great training
Cons
Job depends on price of oil
Challenging and enjoyable place to work
Red Seal Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB6 October 2015
A place to challenge and grow in the trade I was hired to preform. Training, and a variety of experiences available to challenge an employee to grow and develope.