Finning Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

Challenging and interesting.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Ekati, NWTAugust 22, 2015
Lots of variety. You never knew what you were going to do from day to day. You can be out in the snow bank putting tracks on a bulldozer and in the shop during services.
A chaotic mess from the top to the bottom
Admin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 14, 2015
Finning is sinking - 650 people let go, they closed the main office building and the truck shop but does this change the spending - no!
Management is chaotic and always jumping to the next "thing"
Management is based in another city leaving the employees to behave badly - the way people treat one another at that company is appalling and it goes unchecked. Stay away from the zoo

Senior management makes everyone stop and listen to them talk about saving money even though sr management got their large year end bonuses. No raises this year and 1 week off without pay for everyone with talk of cutting benefits but still paying $85,000/month to house people in hotels so they can work at finning.

Save yourself the frustration and annoyance and look elsewhere.
Cons
Many see review
looking to move forward with a company that will allow me to grow.
warehouse person (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 23, 2015
Finning has been a great company to work for. It will be hard to give up my current position but My time in Fort Mcmurray has come to an end.
Good people to work with
Apprentice Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCApril 26, 2015
Good company, good benefits, good pay , great work atmosphere, they stress safety a lot, happy place to be,
almost everyone there would never voluntarily leave , which is a good place to work , in my eyes
Pros
The Union
Cons
Management makes questionable decisions, but they see the whole picture, we dont
A good place to work.
Customer Service Advisor, Field Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 4, 2015
-Typical day was 40% customer interaction, 60% computer work.

-I learned to how to effectively negotiate with customers both internal and external.

-Excellent people to work with.

-Hardest part of the job was negotiating with internal branches and third party vendors on costs that do not belong to Finning or their customers.

-Best part of the job was the low stress of the position itself. Finning has many people which can provide many levels of support where required.
Pros
great benifits, low stress
Cons
finning tends to hire when it is busy and terminate when it is slow, the recent oil price decrease resulted in 500 jobs cut from their budget.
Fun place to work
Third Year Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 14, 2015
Job-related paper work
Caterpillar equipment experience - mining, forestry, construction & truck engines
Troubleshooting equipment
Safe use of job-related tooling and equipment
Following direction from journey persons & supervisors
Pros
Good working environment
Upper management leads by harassment and Bullying
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 26, 2015
Middle management up thru General Management manage by intimidation and harassment. Very toxic work environment. Union tells management how to run the company. Too bad because this could be a great place to work.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
No job security/union tells management how to run the company
Good place to get into the industry
Material Supply Assistant (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJune 3, 2015
Overall a good place to get your start in the rock and dirt industry. Shift work for most positions, unless salary. Overtime pay, benefits, vacation pay.
Great place to work if you dont mind the cold
Field technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurrayJanuary 21, 2015
Worked there for 2 years almost got laid off in the first 6 months as there was a small recession then recently got laid off again as a result of the recent low oil prices and to much supply. Overall i am not confident working for finning and dont know if i will go back.
Pros
great training
Cons
job depends on price of oil
top heavy company that doesn't care about its people
Heavy duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMarch 28, 2015
pay is good but that's the only thing that keeps people around company is run very poorly. would not recommend anyone working there
Pros
good pay
Cons
terrible executive management
Accounts Receivable Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 23, 2014
The hardest part of my job is finding to time to handle the volume of customers calling in regularly. The most enjoyable part of my day is getting to work and having our team meetings with my coworkers. Just gives us a a moment to touch base with one another and see if there is anyway we can help each other get through the week.
Pros
work life balance is great
Cons
not paid enough
A fun and friendly place to work
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AlbertaFebruary 20, 2015
It was a good place to work, not very challenging though. Taking and relating messages to other departments.

Staff were all friendly and onsite cafeteria had good prices.
Pros
friendly enviroment
Cons
shift work
fun place to work
Think Big Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Victoria, Bc Red deer, AbApril 8, 2015
Great company to work for. got me through school. unfortunately economic times means there is no position for me at the company
Pros
lots od different work
Cons
Great people for the most part- some mid level mgmnt not qualified for thier work and are causing high cost of operations, will not take advice
Branch manager (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BCFebruary 5, 2015
Finning is a phenomenal organization but tend to get caught up in thier own size and can sometimes miss what the competition is doing. They are quickly becoming the high priced low service organization and changes are slow to come. Regional Managers are not identified for thier lack of industry understanding and are taken at thier word. Unless you are an individual that enjoys having no voice and only towing the line even when it is wrong. In other words if you are looking for a job that you only want a decent paycheck and to just be a robot then at the branch level this will be a rewarding organization for you. If you are a creative thinker that is looking for challenges in growing and creating a solid business platform with job security then this is likely not the organization for you.
Pros
great pay and fantastic benefits
Cons
non skilled regional managers in the markets they are assigned
Overall great company
Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 1, 2015
I enjoyed working at Finning Canada,
Great company, Family team feel, structured platform and great work relationships.
Pros
Great rotation
Cons
great place for a summer student
Summer Student Material Supply Assistant (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurrayDecember 2, 2014
Most people were very helpful
work was enjoyable
hardest part of my day was waking up long hours but i rather work longer hours and get more days off anyways
management was great
Pros
they proved a bus to get from and to work
interesting people, learned a lot
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 27, 2014
The day would start off with a safety meeting, then we would be assigned tasks for the day.
-Complete the tasks, help the mechanics and tool crib, and keep the shop clean and tidy.
-managers were ok, but often contradicted each-other
-it was frustrating when safety would make certain tasks more difficult by being ridiculous
-really enjoyed the camaraderie with the mechanics
Pros
great pay
Cons
long way away from my family
Great work experience and benefits. Options for advancement poor.
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BCOctober 5, 2013
My overall satisfaction with this company was poor. I do not feel that Finning's management and supervision had any real grasp on managing people or understanding the needs of the business beyond bottom line dollars and cents. Work experience great, training minimal (for a dealership), monetary remuneration exceptional and benefits were wonderful attributes to have.

Conclusion: Finning pays well but cannot organize work or streamline communication. All in all I personally would not recommend this company and have no personal desire to return to work for it either.
Overall Finning is not what I expected for a world class dealer.
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 17, 2013
Upper Management at the dealership level are not qualified to run the dealerships (oil sands in particular) .Middle management along with the employee's care about happens with in , but had no input in decisions made by upper management .Had a great team and enjoyed working with them all.I learned not to trust management above you , they simple don't care , looking after themselves .
Pros
wages and benefits are excellent, most team members cared.
Cons
i was all ways looking over my shoulder . management never backed up their supervisors
A Great Job
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 5, 2014
I finished my apprenticeship through Finning. Once I had completed my apprenticeship. My position became a field service mechanic. Performing warranty jobs at different mine-sites for Finning. Covering short man shifts for the mine-sites. Ranging from PM´s to component change outs, troubleshooting and repairing faulty equipment.
Working for a Caterpillar Dealer was a great experience.

4.2