Finning Canada Employee Reviews

good experience working for Finning
2nd year apprentice (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook,Fort St John,Sparwood, BC. YK NWT27 April 2016
safety can be overbearing at times but overall a very good company to work for, room for advancement, good compensation, good training oppurtunities
Extremely great company, great people
Material Supply Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 April 2016
Very positive work atmosphere and extremely good safety culture. Lots of room for movement internally. Wish I could have stayed with the company.
just another number, pretend to care about your safety
MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 March 2016
Extremely disorganized, Poor communication, excellent benefits.
Company pretends to care for its employees but only cares about their liability
benefits
Cons
poor management
Great Enviroment
Parts Technician Customer Counter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 March 2016
Great people, Dealing with walk-in and telephone customers for Heavy Duty Cat parts. So many machines & interchangeable accessories make this a time consuming, interesting place of employment.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Shift Work
Fast Paced
Laboratory Technician - certified (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 April 2016
Time sensitive and result oriented Lab.
High Expectations for Service Excellence.
Customer specific analysis and interpretation.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Stresful
Overall good place to work
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 November 2015
Worlds largest Cat heavy equipment dealer, service and repairing what they sell.
a lot of good talented people there and excellent corporate and safety culture.
Definitely corporate run, not a mom and pop establishment anymore with a large union workforce.
Working out in the cold up north away from family is the hardest thing, but the good paycheck and getting to work on some of the biggest heavy equipment in the world is definitely cool.
Pros
Good paycheque and safety culture
Cons
working out of town in cold
Fun workplace with many chances for advancement.
Human Resources Representative / Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 November 2015
A great learning experience. This was the biggest company I had ever worked for, so it was a good opportunity for me to learn from others. There was lots of variety in my job. Had the privilege of going to workshops, training meetings, etc. to help me be more productive and perform my day-to-day tasks more effectively.
Very exciting and rewarding job
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 March 2016
Very fun company to work for. Great management, crew members and dispatchers. Stressful at times but with good coworkers you get through it.
Pros
close to home
Cons
Stressful at times
Great place to work!
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK4 February 2016
Finning is a great place to worked, I loved helping my customers. The work is not hard, can be physical demanding at times but you have a team to help you out.
They have good benefits.
Pros
Set shifts
Cons
later shifts every other week
Best Cat dealer
Director - Engineered Solutions Power Generation (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 February 2016
Thoroughly enjoy my time at Finning Power Systems. Plenty of freedom to build and develop the business. Smart leadership team. Market leader in every respect.
Pros
Cons
Travel
Great benefits and work...but some bad apples seem to poison the atmosphere
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  calgary, ab3 September 2015
I liked working at finning. The facilities are good, pay is excellent, I liked the work, great benefits and they supplied most of the tooling. However; the general moral of the shop is quite bad. ?Which I don't understand? The company has no freedom to release poor workers due to the union and seniority. I fear that they may not shake this new negative image.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
poor management/co-worker attitudes
works as a Heavy Equipment Technician
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2015
I like to start the work day thinking in how to do the work better. Following the work instructions & using the right tools. The communication in the work environment is the key of learning the easiest & better way to work as a team. I like to be responsible. The most enjoyable part of this job is when everybody works as a Team finishing our duties on time. Great place to work, believe highly in training and support for Front Line Supervisors. Management is also very supportive and helpful, Huge Focus on Safety.
Operations Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 November 2015
Fast paced, results driven, customer focused, operations excellence and continous improvement; Excellent health and safety culture; overall great team work environment.
This was a good company but is no longer in business.
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB31 October 2015
It was a good place to work, fast paced and exciting. Unfortunately due to GM's ecomonic conditions in recent years the company closed down. The owner was an outstanding citizen.
Pros
Monday to Friday job.
Cons
It was a difficult location to work in the winter months.
No Job security
Inventory Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK24 February 2016
There is always an insecurity about the job since oil prices started dropping. The company should be run a in a much better way than it is right now.
Good Starting Point, Room for advancement
VisionLink Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2016
I enjoyed working with Finning for its people and the opportunity to grow within the company. The benefits are good and the salary is fair (depending on which position you apply for) I learned quite a bit and left as a more mature professional. The company is making big efforts to become more in touch with its work force however the bottom line is the bottom line and corners are cut to maximize on profits or high expectations are to be met with little support. It can be challenging at times to find a work-life balance as there is so much to do and because the company is so big it can be frustrating to coordinate with other departments to ensure that customer requests and purchases are handled effectively. Salesforce is highly valued..sometimes to the detriment of personnel and company protocols.
Overall I am proud to say I worked at Finning. Apply if you are a hardworking person who doesn't mind putting in a little extra.
Pros
People, benefits, room for advancement
Cons
Lot of pressure, long hours, Confusing processes
Comes in highly recommended with an excellent safety culture.
Apprentice 4th year (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 June 2015
Reasonable timelines and training opportunities
Very experienced team mates.
Each day has its unique challenges.
Most work accomplished as targeted.
Incomplete information can take a hefty turn
For consolation, we are often able to finish a product better than expected.
Pros
Appreciation from employee input
Cons
Priorities do not line up with budgets sometimes
Good for the union employees
Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 December 2015
As a tech they were a good employer. Ended up having to leave due to lack of progression.
Finning Can be ruthless with the non-union staff when it comes to layoffs etc, very little job security.
Pros
Well respected company
What was once Great company has been slipping away in recent years
Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 June 2015
Finning was once a good company to work for, in recent years they have lost sight of what made them good and have been focusing on purchasing new territory and creating more management positions while reducing their effective work force.

The culture has changed, once it was a family, you were proud to be a part of, now you are ashamed of how your colleagues are treated.
Finning is one of the best company i've worked with,full of fun and productive.
(HET) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray,AB.15 May 2015
working at finning is full of excitement, on a typical day working on a 797F truck (new),assembling monster components. I have learn so much at finning I cannot say it all, but in a few words I have learn how to calibrate all components, up date software, enter injector trim codes, know how to use (SIS)/(ET) and others. Management isn't perfect but co-workers. The hardest part of my job is when there is not much to do. The most enjoyable part of my job is get the job done in record time.