Finning Canada Employee Reviews

Good place to work for
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 June 2016
Busy schedule daily
Fast paced work environment
Trustworthy, effective communication between management and co- workers.
Journeyman Heavy Equipment Tech (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2016
I enjoyed my time at Finning. The environment was always positive and enjoyable, The management team was easy to deal with and well trained to oversee myself and my coworkers. I spent alot of time working on hydraulic problems, replacing and rebuilding components, fixing electrical problems, completing recalls and safety updates. Worked on all cat skid steers, telehandlers, loaders, excavators, packers and other caterpillar equipment. The hardest part of the day was sweeping the floor or cleaning while waiting for parts to show up, it makes the day longer, i would rather be working constantly. The most enjoyable part of the day was fixing a problem that others werent able to, it gave a sense of pride.
Pros
Overtime, wages, safety program
in an interview
Through Diversified Agency (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 October 2016
if you want more information. An interview would be an ideal situation. I didn't enjoy working with this company. I learnt how nasty people could be. the hardest part of the job was showing up.
Pros
paycheque
Cons
sub managers
Was not there very long
Project Manager/ Estimator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2016
Big company with lots of Red Tape
Hardest part of the job was taking over a large project that was over budget
Did not really know who I reported to for the first few months
not a bad place to work, some excellent co-workers
Journeyman Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB6 April 2016
safety is # 1, morning safety talks, always learning new stuff as you never know what might come in, some great co-workers, parts at times could be a problem, management promises things they maybe should not, all in all a good place to work.
A chaotic mess from the top to the bottom
Admin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 April 2015
Finning is sinking - 650 people let go, they closed the main office building and the truck shop but does this change the spending - no!
Management is chaotic and always jumping to the next "thing"
Management is based in another city leaving the employees to behave badly - the way people treat one another at that company is appalling and it goes unchecked. Stay away from the zoo

Senior management makes everyone stop and listen to them talk about saving money even though sr management got their large year end bonuses. No raises this year and 1 week off without pay for everyone with talk of cutting benefits but still paying $85,000/month to house people in hotels so they can work at finning.

Save yourself the frustration and annoyance and look elsewhere.
Cons
Many see review
Good Place To Work
Regional Fleet Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 November 2016
Good Place To work but there are lay offs currently
Good People to work with
Great learning Experience and knowledge gained
Pros
Great People to work with
Cons
Lay offs
great place to work
Parts Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 October 2016
Great Place to work good Pay good benifts good everything just time for a change maybe for personal reasons but its a great place that treats me well
High School games at their best
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 January 2016
Office gossip, slackers getting away with anything they want.
Managment wants to be your best friend instead of in charge to deal with the issues.

No job security, constent worry over job loss.
Too much dorperate red tape, unable to introduce new ideas to make the work place more ffiecent due to old school thinking.
Great workers, horrifying management and office staff
Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McKay25 June 2015
I worked for Finning Oil Sands for almost 3 years.

I have worked with some of the best and brightest workers in my life.

Minus the supervisors, management and office staff, however, have absolutely ZERO clue what is going on in the shop.

ZERO communication.That's what leads to disasters. If the office staff walked out of their offices for even 5 minutes and communicated with workers in the shop, everything would be smooth sailing.

As an apprentice, I've seen some of these jokers of people screw up my blue book, OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. I have to send it back to them, and they'd ask "What for?"

The recent lay offs are ridiculous as well. Sure, lay off 600+ workers and buy a neighbouring Cat dealership, why don't you?
Pros
Decent benefits, great pay, good atmosphere.
Cons
Incompetent office staff.
Great benefits and work...but some bad apples seem to poison the atmosphere
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  calgary, ab3 September 2015
I liked working at finning. The facilities are good, pay is excellent, I liked the work, great benefits and they supplied most of the tooling. However; the general moral of the shop is quite bad. ?Which I don't understand? The company has no freedom to release poor workers due to the union and seniority. I fear that they may not shake this new negative image.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
poor management/co-worker attitudes
Very exciting and rewarding job
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 March 2016
Very fun company to work for. Great management, crew members and dispatchers. Stressful at times but with good coworkers you get through it.
Pros
close to home
Cons
Stressful at times
Great place to work!
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK4 February 2016
Finning is a great place to worked, I loved helping my customers. The work is not hard, can be physical demanding at times but you have a team to help you out.
They have good benefits.
Pros
Set shifts
Cons
later shifts every other week
Overall good place to work
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 November 2015
Worlds largest Cat heavy equipment dealer, service and repairing what they sell.
a lot of good talented people there and excellent corporate and safety culture.
Definitely corporate run, not a mom and pop establishment anymore with a large union workforce.
Working out in the cold up north away from family is the hardest thing, but the good paycheck and getting to work on some of the biggest heavy equipment in the world is definitely cool.
Pros
Good paycheque and safety culture
Cons
working out of town in cold
Great People. Poor Managment
Tool Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort McKay/Fort McMurray/Mildred Lake7 May 2015
-The work is fine and co-workers are top notch.
-The pay rates are excellent.
-The shift I had was awesome. 14 days on and 14 days off, 12 hour days.
-Learned a lot working there. Great experiences for sure.
-I got laid off twice in 4 years so there is no real job security unless you are upper management.
-Work was always changing so it stayed interesting and challenging.
-Most enjoyable part of the job to me was always running the equipment.
Pros
Great Co-workers, Supervisors and low level Managers, Room for Advancement.
Cons
Upper Management seemed very disconnected from the staff.
Good Wages, Good Benefits
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer2 October 2015
Good place to work in the beginning, but only thing that kept employees was the wage, and the benefits package. When you worked with a team, it was great. Union environment, so you get some lazy co-workers
Pros
Good Wage, Good Benefits
Cons
Mis-Management
Safety orientated, fast paced, and great learning opportunities.
Student / Heavy Duty Technician Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Fairview, AB13 March 2016
Great company to work for. Lots of different aspects of the trade you get to experience. Travel within the program is a plus. Unfortunately, our program will not em employed after we graduate, as a factor of low economy and budget cuts.
Pros
Working with a variety of different techs, and staff
Cons
Abundance of safety rules.
Upper management leads by harassment and Bullying
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 March 2015
Middle management up thru General Management manage by intimidation and harassment. Very toxic work environment. Union tells management how to run the company. Too bad because this could be a great place to work.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
No job security/union tells management how to run the company
Great people for the most part- some mid level mgmnt not qualified for thier work and are causing high cost of operations, will not take advice
Branch manager (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BC5 February 2015
Finning is a phenomenal organization but tend to get caught up in thier own size and can sometimes miss what the competition is doing. They are quickly becoming the high priced low service organization and changes are slow to come. Regional Managers are not identified for thier lack of industry understanding and are taken at thier word. Unless you are an individual that enjoys having no voice and only towing the line even when it is wrong. In other words if you are looking for a job that you only want a decent paycheck and to just be a robot then at the branch level this will be a rewarding organization for you. If you are a creative thinker that is looking for challenges in growing and creating a solid business platform with job security then this is likely not the organization for you.
Pros
great pay and fantastic benefits
Cons
non skilled regional managers in the markets they are assigned
Exciting, fast pace industry with great focus on personnel development
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISOR - EMS GROUP HEAD OFFICE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2013
A typical day at work would start with a Safety Meeting with my co workers, check emails, start daily work, review any issues with customers, co workers and or supervisor, lunch with the girls in the lunch room, complete daily routine, review weekly progress, prioritize next day work. Assist co workers if necessary.

Hardest part of the job was getting a quick response from management on current issues without holding up the daily routine.

Consist recognition for work well done, plenty of incentive to perform well daily, enjoyed working with my co workers, we had alot of fun.

Pros
Personnel development, consist team building with co workers, good safety practises, profit sharing, HSA, great benefits, 6 weeks vacation
Cons
Slow response on issues from management due to lengthly processes