Finning Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

Upper management leads by harassment and Bullying
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 26, 2015
Middle management up thru General Management manage by intimidation and harassment. Very toxic work environment. Union tells management how to run the company. Too bad because this could be a great place to work.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
No job security/union tells management how to run the company
Good people to work with
Apprentice Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCApril 26, 2015
Good company, good benefits, good pay , great work atmosphere, they stress safety a lot, happy place to be,
almost everyone there would never voluntarily leave , which is a good place to work , in my eyes
Pros
The Union
Cons
Management makes questionable decisions, but they see the whole picture, we dont
Overall good place to work
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 9, 2015
Worlds largest Cat heavy equipment dealer, service and repairing what they sell.
a lot of good talented people there and excellent corporate and safety culture.
Definitely corporate run, not a mom and pop establishment anymore with a large union workforce.
Working out in the cold up north away from family is the hardest thing, but the good paycheck and getting to work on some of the biggest heavy equipment in the world is definitely cool.
Pros
Good paycheque and safety culture
Cons
working out of town in cold
Extremely great company, great people
Material Supply Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 21, 2016
Very positive work atmosphere and extremely good safety culture. Lots of room for movement internally. Wish I could have stayed with the company.
good experience working for Finning
2nd year apprentice (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook,Fort St John,Sparwood, BC. YK NWTApril 27, 2016
safety can be overbearing at times but overall a very good company to work for, room for advancement, good compensation, good training oppurtunities
Good place to get into the industry
Material Supply Assistant (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJune 3, 2015
Overall a good place to get your start in the rock and dirt industry. Shift work for most positions, unless salary. Overtime pay, benefits, vacation pay.
Fast Paced
Laboratory Technician - certified (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 16, 2016
Time sensitive and result oriented Lab.
High Expectations for Service Excellence.
Customer specific analysis and interpretation.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Stresful
Great Enviroment
Parts Technician Customer Counter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 1, 2016
Great people, Dealing with walk-in and telephone customers for Heavy Duty Cat parts. So many machines & interchangeable accessories make this a time consuming, interesting place of employment.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Shift Work
great job with good benifits
Parts Technician (Former Employee) –  edmontonabMay 20, 2016
Good company to work for with excellent benefits. Many opportunities for advancement and a great place to establish your career.
Good for the union employees
Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 10, 2015
As a tech they were a good employer. Ended up having to leave due to lack of progression.
Finning Can be ruthless with the non-union staff when it comes to layoffs etc, very little job security.
Pros
Well respected company
works as a Heavy Equipment Technician
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 2, 2015
I like to start the work day thinking in how to do the work better. Following the work instructions & using the right tools. The communication in the work environment is the key of learning the easiest & better way to work as a team. I like to be responsible. The most enjoyable part of this job is when everybody works as a Team finishing our duties on time. Great place to work, believe highly in training and support for Front Line Supervisors. Management is also very supportive and helpful, Huge Focus on Safety.
Exciting, fast pace industry with great focus on personnel development
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISOR - EMS GROUP HEAD OFFICE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 16, 2013
A typical day at work would start with a Safety Meeting with my co workers, check emails, start daily work, review any issues with customers, co workers and or supervisor, lunch with the girls in the lunch room, complete daily routine, review weekly progress, prioritize next day work. Assist co workers if necessary.

Hardest part of the job was getting a quick response from management on current issues without holding up the daily routine.

Consist recognition for work well done, plenty of incentive to perform well daily, enjoyed working with my co workers, we had alot of fun.
Pros
personnel development, consist team building with co workers, good safety practises, profit sharing, hsa, great benefits, 6 weeks vacation
Cons
slow response on issues from management due to lengthly processes
Best Cat dealer
Director - Engineered Solutions Power Generation (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 5, 2016
Thoroughly enjoy my time at Finning Power Systems. Plenty of freedom to build and develop the business. Smart leadership team. Market leader in every respect.
Pros
Cons
Travel
No Job security
Inventory Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKFebruary 24, 2016
There is always an insecurity about the job since oil prices started dropping. The company should be run a in a much better way than it is right now.
Operations Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 26, 2015
Fast paced, results driven, customer focused, operations excellence and continous improvement; Excellent health and safety culture; overall great team work environment.
Great work experience and benefits. Options for advancement poor.
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BCOctober 5, 2013
My overall satisfaction with this company was poor. I do not feel that Finning's management and supervision had any real grasp on managing people or understanding the needs of the business beyond bottom line dollars and cents. Work experience great, training minimal (for a dealership), monetary remuneration exceptional and benefits were wonderful attributes to have.

Conclusion: Finning pays well but cannot organize work or streamline communication. All in all I personally would not recommend this company and have no personal desire to return to work for it either.
Fun workplace with many chances for advancement.
Human Resources Representative / Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABNovember 4, 2015
A great learning experience. This was the biggest company I had ever worked for, so it was a good opportunity for me to learn from others. There was lots of variety in my job. Had the privilege of going to workshops, training meetings, etc. to help me be more productive and perform my day-to-day tasks more effectively.
Overall Finning is not what I expected for a world class dealer.
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 17, 2013
Upper Management at the dealership level are not qualified to run the dealerships (oil sands in particular) .Middle management along with the employee's care about happens with in , but had no input in decisions made by upper management .Had a great team and enjoyed working with them all.I learned not to trust management above you , they simple don't care , looking after themselves .
Pros
wages and benefits are excellent, most team members cared.
Cons
i was all ways looking over my shoulder . management never backed up their supervisors
Great People. Poor Managment
Tool Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort McKay/Fort McMurray/Mildred LakeMay 7, 2015
-The work is fine and co-workers are top notch.
-The pay rates are excellent.
-The shift I had was awesome. 14 days on and 14 days off, 12 hour days.
-Learned a lot working there. Great experiences for sure.
-I got laid off twice in 4 years so there is no real job security unless you are upper management.
-Work was always changing so it stayed interesting and challenging.
-Most enjoyable part of the job to me was always running the equipment.
Pros
Great Co-workers, Supervisors and low level Managers, Room for Advancement.
Cons
Upper Management seemed very disconnected from the staff.
This was a good company but is no longer in business.
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 31, 2015
It was a good place to work, fast paced and exciting. Unfortunately due to GM's ecomonic conditions in recent years the company closed down. The owner was an outstanding citizen.
Pros
Monday to Friday job.
Cons
It was a difficult location to work in the winter months.

4.2