Finning Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Fun workplace with many chances for advancement.
Human Resources Representative / Sales Coordinator (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABNovember 4, 2015
A great learning experience. This was the biggest company I had ever worked for, so it was a good opportunity for me to learn from others. There was lots of variety in my job. Had the privilege of going to workshops, training meetings, etc. to help me be more productive and perform my day-to-day tasks more effectively.
This was a good company but is no longer in business.
Service Supervisor (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 31, 2015
Pros: Monday to Friday job.
Cons: It was a difficult location to work in the winter months.
It was a good place to work, fast paced and exciting. Unfortunately due to GM's ecomonic conditions in recent years the company closed down. The owner was an outstanding citizen.
Challenging and enjoyable place to work
Red Seal Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABOctober 6, 2015
A place to challenge and grow in the trade I was hired to preform. Training, and a variety of experiences available to challenge an employee to grow and develope.
Good Wages, Good Benefits
Mechanic (Former Employee), Red DeerOctober 2, 2015
Pros: Good Wage, Good Benefits
Cons: Mis-Management
Good place to work in the beginning, but only thing that kept employees was the wage, and the benefits package. When you worked with a team, it was great. Union environment, so you get some lazy co-workers
Fun
Tax Analyst (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 30, 2015
Good company to work for. Good environment. Oppurtunity for advanceement. Good managment very proactive. Good work culture. Good team building activities.
good place to work, good people work there
heavy equipment technician (Former Employee), Red Deer AlbertaSeptember 28, 2015
good work environment, good hours to work overtime available when
wanted. unfortunately I was laid off due to economic times
Regularily lays off employees every four years or so
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 12, 2015
Pros: lay-offs, lay-offs, lay-offs
Cons: lay-offs, lay-offs, lay-offs
You've been warned! They will even lay off people who have worked there for over 30 years. No loyalty to their employees but expect loyalty in return.
Great benefits and work...but some bad apples seem to poison the atmosphere
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee), calgary, abSeptember 3, 2015
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: poor management/co-worker attitudes
I liked working at finning. The facilities are good, pay is excellent, I liked the work, great benefits and they supplied most of the tooling. However; the general moral of the shop is quite bad. ?Which I don't understand? The company has no freedom to release poor workers due to the union and seniority. I fear that they may not shake this new negative image.
works as a Heavy Equipment Technician
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 2, 2015
I like to start the work day thinking in how to do the work better. Following the work instructions & using the right tools. The communication in the work environment is the key of learning the easiest & better way to work as a team. I like to be responsible. The most enjoyable part of this job is when everybody works as a Team finishing our duties on time. Great place to work, believe highly in training and support for Front Line Supervisors. Management is also very supportive and helpful, Huge Focus on Safety.
Advancements are great
Administrative Assistant / Literature Coordinator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 27, 2015
started out in accounts payables. Moved my family to B.C. and then back to Alberta. Moved from accounting to administrative assistanc. Where I looked after 25 new sales persons.
good people, good atmosphere
Material Supply Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 27, 2015
Finning was a great place to work with good training courses, employee support and a terrific benefits package. Also many opportunities for advancement,
Challenging and interesting.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee), Ekati, NWTAugust 22, 2015
Lots of variety. You never knew what you were going to do from day to day. You can be out in the snow bank putting tracks on a bulldozer and in the shop during services.
looking to move forward with a company that will allow me to grow.
warehouse person (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 23, 2015
Finning has been a great company to work for. It will be hard to give up my current position but My time in Fort Mcmurray has come to an end.
Great workers, horrifying management and office staff
Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee), Fort McKayJune 25, 2015
Pros: Decent benefits, great pay, good atmosphere.
Cons: Incompetent office staff.
I worked for Finning Oil Sands for almost 3 years.

I have worked with some of the best and brightest workers in my life.

Minus the supervisors, management and office staff, however, have absolutely ZERO clue what is going on in the shop.

ZERO communication.That's what leads to disasters. If the office staff walked out of their offices for even 5 minutes and communicated with workers in the shop, everything would be smooth sailing.

As an apprentice, I've seen some of these jokers of people screw up my blue book, OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. I have to send it back to them, and they'd ask "What for?"

The recent lay offs are ridiculous as well. Sure, lay off 600+ workers and buy a neighbouring Cat dealership, why don't you?
Comes in highly recommended with an excellent safety culture.
Apprentice 4th year (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 25, 2015
Pros: Appreciation from employee input
Cons: Priorities do not line up with budgets sometimes
Reasonable timelines and training opportunities
Very experienced team mates.
Each day has its unique challenges.
Most work accomplished as targeted.
Incomplete information can take a hefty turn
For consolation, we are often able to finish a product better than expected.
Good place to get into the industry
Material Supply Assistant (Former Employee), CalgaryJune 3, 2015
Overall a good place to get your start in the rock and dirt industry. Shift work for most positions, unless salary. Overtime pay, benefits, vacation pay.
What was once Great company has been slipping away in recent years
Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 2, 2015
Finning was once a good company to work for, in recent years they have lost sight of what made them good and have been focusing on purchasing new territory and creating more management positions while reducing their effective work force.

The culture has changed, once it was a family, you were proud to be a part of, now you are ashamed of how your colleagues are treated.
Finning is one of the best company i've worked with,full of fun and productive.
(HET) (Former Employee), Fort McMurray,AB.May 15, 2015
working at finning is full of excitement, on a typical day working on a 797F truck (new),assembling monster components. I have learn so much at finning I cannot say it all, but in a few words I have learn how to calibrate all components, up date software, enter injector trim codes, know how to use (SIS)/(ET) and others. Management isn't perfect but co-workers. The hardest part of my job is when there is not much to do. The most enjoyable part of my job is get the job done in record time.
Great People. Poor Managment
Tool Room Attendant (Former Employee), Fort McKay/Fort McMurray/Mildred LakeMay 7, 2015
Pros: Great Co-workers, Supervisors and low level Managers, Room for Advancement.
Cons: Upper Management seemed very disconnected from the staff.
-The work is fine and co-workers are top notch.
-The pay rates are excellent.
-The shift I had was awesome. 14 days on and 14 days off, 12 hour days.
-Learned a lot working there. Great experiences for sure.
-I got laid off twice in 4 years so there is no real job security unless you are upper management.
-Work was always changing so it stayed interesting and challenging.
-Most enjoyable part of the job to me was always running the equipment.
Great Products and some good people
Mining Account Manager (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCMay 7, 2015
Pros: Salary Compensation is good, Access to Caterpillar's great training.
Cons: Corporately driven with little care for employees, unstable employment with numerous layoffs
Finning was a wonderful place to work, but as the company has grown people are numbers and the company really only values the bottom line profit. Reviewing the companies history you will find numerous cycles of panic hiring and mass layoffs. Out side of that training is good and the people are professional. The employees are typically a cut above.
Headquarters