Finning Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

No Job security
Inventory Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKFebruary 24, 2016
There is always an insecurity about the job since oil prices started dropping. The company should be run a in a much better way than it is right now.
Operations Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 26, 2015
Fast paced, results driven, customer focused, operations excellence and continous improvement; Excellent health and safety culture; overall great team work environment.
Good Starting Point, Room for advancement
VisionLink Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 13, 2016
I enjoyed working with Finning for its people and the opportunity to grow within the company. The benefits are good and the salary is fair (depending on which position you apply for) I learned quite a bit and left as a more mature professional. The company is making big efforts to become more in touch with its work force however the bottom line is the bottom line and corners are cut to maximize on profits or high expectations are to be met with little support. It can be challenging at times to find a work-life balance as there is so much to do and because the company is so big it can be frustrating to coordinate with other departments to ensure that customer requests and purchases are handled effectively. Salesforce is highly valued..sometimes to the detriment of personnel and company protocols.
Overall I am proud to say I worked at Finning. Apply if you are a hardworking person who doesn't mind putting in a little extra.
Pros
People, benefits, room for advancement
Cons
Lot of pressure, long hours, Confusing processes
This was a good company but is no longer in business.
Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 31, 2015
It was a good place to work, fast paced and exciting. Unfortunately due to GM's ecomonic conditions in recent years the company closed down. The owner was an outstanding citizen.
Pros
Monday to Friday job.
Cons
It was a difficult location to work in the winter months.
Good for the union employees
Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 10, 2015
As a tech they were a good employer. Ended up having to leave due to lack of progression.
Finning Can be ruthless with the non-union staff when it comes to layoffs etc, very little job security.
Pros
Well respected company
Great benefits and work...but some bad apples seem to poison the atmosphere
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  calgary, abSeptember 3, 2015
I liked working at finning. The facilities are good, pay is excellent, I liked the work, great benefits and they supplied most of the tooling. However; the general moral of the shop is quite bad. ?Which I don't understand? The company has no freedom to release poor workers due to the union and seniority. I fear that they may not shake this new negative image.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
poor management/co-worker attitudes
works as a Heavy Equipment Technician
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 2, 2015
I like to start the work day thinking in how to do the work better. Following the work instructions & using the right tools. The communication in the work environment is the key of learning the easiest & better way to work as a team. I like to be responsible. The most enjoyable part of this job is when everybody works as a Team finishing our duties on time. Great place to work, believe highly in training and support for Front Line Supervisors. Management is also very supportive and helpful, Huge Focus on Safety.
Well established organisation
Journeyman Certified Partsman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 11, 2015
Fast pace environment, customer service and excellence, Excellent environment to work, good employees. Provides good training and income and benefits. Enjoyable environment and established corporation.
Good Consulting
Business Analyst (Contracting) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 10, 2015
Good Consulting Environment and good work life balance, good benefits for consultants and contractors, the management still needs to be improved, very poor management overall.
Finning Canada
Journeyman Heavy Duty Technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 9, 2015
A great place to work before lay-offs, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Wide range of equipment to learn and work on. The company had a good training courses employees could take.
Pros
great staff
Cons
lay-offs
Great Employer
Project Manager, Mining Major Overhauls (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 10, 2015
this was a great company to work for. I worked at several mines and it was a good experience to see all that I saw. the only negative was the ups and downs of the oil industry.
Good Wages, Good Benefits
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red DeerOctober 2, 2015
Good place to work in the beginning, but only thing that kept employees was the wage, and the benefits package. When you worked with a team, it was great. Union environment, so you get some lazy co-workers
Pros
Good Wage, Good Benefits
Cons
Mis-Management
Challenging and enjoyable place to work
Red Seal Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABOctober 6, 2015
A place to challenge and grow in the trade I was hired to preform. Training, and a variety of experiences available to challenge an employee to grow and develope.
Regularily lays off employees every four years or so
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 12, 2015
You've been warned! They will even lay off people who have worked there for over 30 years. No loyalty to their employees but expect loyalty in return.
Pros
lay-offs, lay-offs, lay-offs
Cons
lay-offs, lay-offs, lay-offs
Comes in highly recommended with an excellent safety culture.
Apprentice 4th year (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 25, 2015
Reasonable timelines and training opportunities
Very experienced team mates.
Each day has its unique challenges.
Most work accomplished as targeted.
Incomplete information can take a hefty turn
For consolation, we are often able to finish a product better than expected.
Pros
Appreciation from employee input
Cons
Priorities do not line up with budgets sometimes
Great workers, horrifying management and office staff
Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McKayJune 25, 2015
I worked for Finning Oil Sands for almost 3 years.

I have worked with some of the best and brightest workers in my life.

Minus the supervisors, management and office staff, however, have absolutely ZERO clue what is going on in the shop.

ZERO communication.That's what leads to disasters. If the office staff walked out of their offices for even 5 minutes and communicated with workers in the shop, everything would be smooth sailing.

As an apprentice, I've seen some of these jokers of people screw up my blue book, OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. I have to send it back to them, and they'd ask "What for?"

The recent lay offs are ridiculous as well. Sure, lay off 600+ workers and buy a neighbouring Cat dealership, why don't you?
Pros
Decent benefits, great pay, good atmosphere.
Cons
Incompetent office staff.
What was once Great company has been slipping away in recent years
Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 2, 2015
Finning was once a good company to work for, in recent years they have lost sight of what made them good and have been focusing on purchasing new territory and creating more management positions while reducing their effective work force.

The culture has changed, once it was a family, you were proud to be a part of, now you are ashamed of how your colleagues are treated.
Advancements are great
Administrative Assistant / Literature Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 27, 2015
started out in accounts payables. Moved my family to B.C. and then back to Alberta. Moved from accounting to administrative assistanc. Where I looked after 25 new sales persons.
Finning is one of the best company i've worked with,full of fun and productive.
(HET) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray,AB.May 15, 2015
working at finning is full of excitement, on a typical day working on a 797F truck (new),assembling monster components. I have learn so much at finning I cannot say it all, but in a few words I have learn how to calibrate all components, up date software, enter injector trim codes, know how to use (SIS)/(ET) and others. Management isn't perfect but co-workers. The hardest part of my job is when there is not much to do. The most enjoyable part of my job is get the job done in record time.
good place to work, good people work there
heavy equipment technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer AlbertaSeptember 28, 2015
good work environment, good hours to work overtime available when
wanted. unfortunately I was laid off due to economic times