Finning Canada

Finning Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Kearl Life
Field Safety Officer Finning Canada (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 17, 2013
Pros: flights from edmonton to camp
Cons: the rooms were executive but they were taken away as the truck drivers were promised the delux room, so that has added pressure to the job.
The Kearl moto is Nobody gets hurt and protect today for tomorrow, you can see straight from the get go once the oreintation starts to kick off this is not like the rest of the sites, safety is not just a bargaining chip for admission to work, it is taken seriuos at every level and if you think that you cant work safe this is not the place for you. The teams I work with are from all over Canada and have the exeprince and knowledge that you could only dream of having in your work environment. Everyone brings something different and everyone brings something weather knowlege or just good humour. The attitudes are far superiour to anywhere I have worked and really hone in the great attitudes that everyone brings to the table.There is lots of opertunity on thois site and I believe I will probably be here for a while, but there is always opertunities with other great companies to, which make my job and scope so dynamic. Safety is not for everyone but if you are a team player and you enjoy interaction, as well as good interventions the list are endless.
Good Starting Point, Room for advancement
VisionLink Coordinator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: People, benefits, room for advancement
Cons: Lot of pressure, long hours, Confusing processes
I enjoyed working with Finning for its people and the opportunity to grow within the company. The benefits are good and the salary is fair (depending on which position you apply for) I learned quite a bit and left as a more mature professional. The company is making big efforts to become more in touch with its work force however the bottom line is the bottom line and corners are cut to maximize on profits or high expectations are to be met with little support. It can be challenging at times to find a work-life balance as there is so much to do and because the company is so big it can be frustrating to coordinate with other departments to ensure that customer requests and purchases are handled effectively. Salesforce is highly valued..sometimes to the detriment of personnel and company protocols.
Overall I am proud to say I worked at Finning. Apply if you are a hardworking person who doesn't mind putting in a little extra.
Great people for the most part- some mid level mgmnt not qualified for thier work and are causing high cost of operations, will not take advice
Branch manager (Former Employee), Fort St John, BCFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: great pay and fantastic benefits
Cons: non skilled regional managers in the markets they are assigned
Finning is a phenomenal organization but tend to get caught up in thier own size and can sometimes miss what the competition is doing. They are quickly becoming the high priced low service organization and changes are slow to come. Regional Managers are not identified for thier lack of industry understanding and are taken at thier word. Unless you are an individual that enjoys having no voice and only towing the line even when it is wrong. In other words if you are looking for a job that you only want a decent paycheck and to just be a robot then at the branch level this will be a rewarding organization for you. If you are a creative thinker that is looking for challenges in growing and creating a solid business platform with job security then this is likely not the organization for you.
A chaotic mess from the top to the bottom
Admin (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 14, 2015
Cons: Many see review
Finning is sinking - 650 people let go, they closed the main office building and the truck shop but does this change the spending - no!
Management is chaotic and always jumping to the next "thing"
Management is based in another city leaving the employees to behave badly - the way people treat one another at that company is appalling and it goes unchecked. Stay away from the zoo

Senior management makes everyone stop and listen to them talk about saving money even though sr management got their large year end bonuses. No raises this year and 1 week off without pay for everyone with talk of cutting benefits but still paying $85,000/month to house people in hotels so they can work at finning.

Save yourself the frustration and annoyance and look elsewhere.
Great workers, horrifying management and office staff
Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee), Fort McKayJune 25, 2015
Pros: Decent benefits, great pay, good atmosphere.
Cons: Incompetent office staff.
I worked for Finning Oil Sands for almost 3 years.

I have worked with some of the best and brightest workers in my life.

Minus the supervisors, management and office staff, however, have absolutely ZERO clue what is going on in the shop.

ZERO communication.That's what leads to disasters. If the office staff walked out of their offices for even 5 minutes and communicated with workers in the shop, everything would be smooth sailing.

As an apprentice, I've seen some of these jokers of people screw up my blue book, OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. I have to send it back to them, and they'd ask "What for?"

The recent lay offs are ridiculous as well. Sure, lay off 600+ workers and buy a neighbouring Cat dealership, why don't you?
Exciting, fast pace industry with great focus on personnel development
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISOR - EMS GROUP HEAD OFFICE (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 16, 2013
Pros: personnel development, consist team building with co workers, good safety practises, profit sharing, hsa, great benefits, 6 weeks vacation
Cons: slow response on issues from management due to lengthly processes
A typical day at work would start with a Safety Meeting with my co workers, check emails, start daily work, review any issues with customers, co workers and or supervisor, lunch with the girls in the lunch room, complete daily routine, review weekly progress, prioritize next day work. Assist co workers if necessary.

Hardest part of the job was getting a quick response from management on current issues without holding up the daily routine.

Consist recognition for work well done, plenty of incentive to perform well daily, enjoyed working with my co workers, we had alot of fun.
Journeyman Heavy Equipment Tech (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 17, 2016
Pros: Overtime, wages, safety program
Cons: None
I enjoyed my time at Finning. The environment was always positive and enjoyable, The management team was easy to deal with and well trained to oversee myself and my coworkers. I spent alot of time working on hydraulic problems, replacing and rebuilding components, fixing electrical problems, completing recalls and safety updates. Worked on all cat skid steers, telehandlers, loaders, excavators, packers and other caterpillar equipment. The hardest part of the day was sweeping the floor or cleaning while waiting for parts to show up, it makes the day longer, i would rather be working constantly. The most enjoyable part of the day was fixing a problem that others werent able to, it gave a sense of pride.
A good place to work.
Customer Service Advisor, Field Service (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 4, 2015
Pros: great benifits, low stress
Cons: finning tends to hire when it is busy and terminate when it is slow, the recent oil price decrease resulted in 500 jobs cut from their budget.
-Typical day was 40% customer interaction, 60% computer work.

-I learned to how to effectively negotiate with customers both internal and external.

-Excellent people to work with.

-Hardest part of the job was negotiating with internal branches and third party vendors on costs that do not belong to Finning or their customers.

-Best part of the job was the low stress of the position itself. Finning has many people which can provide many levels of support where required.
Great People. Poor Managment
Tool Room Attendant (Former Employee), Fort McKay/Fort McMurray/Mildred LakeMay 7, 2015
Pros: Great Co-workers, Supervisors and low level Managers, Room for Advancement.
Cons: Upper Management seemed very disconnected from the staff.
-The work is fine and co-workers are top notch.
-The pay rates are excellent.
-The shift I had was awesome. 14 days on and 14 days off, 12 hour days.
-Learned a lot working there. Great experiences for sure.
-I got laid off twice in 4 years so there is no real job security unless you are upper management.
-Work was always changing so it stayed interesting and challenging.
-Most enjoyable part of the job to me was always running the equipment.
Great work experience and benefits. Options for advancement poor.
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee), Campbell River, BCOctober 5, 2013
My overall satisfaction with this company was poor. I do not feel that Finning's management and supervision had any real grasp on managing people or understanding the needs of the business beyond bottom line dollars and cents. Work experience great, training minimal (for a dealership), monetary remuneration exceptional and benefits were wonderful attributes to have.

Conclusion: Finning pays well but cannot organize work or streamline communication. All in all I personally would not recommend this company and have no personal desire to return to work for it either.
Overall Finning is not what I expected for a world class dealer.
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 17, 2013
Pros: wages and benefits are excellent, most team members cared.
Cons: i was all ways looking over my shoulder . management never backed up their supervisors
Upper Management at the dealership level are not qualified to run the dealerships (oil sands in particular) .Middle management along with the employee's care about happens with in , but had no input in decisions made by upper management .Had a great team and enjoyed working with them all.I learned not to trust management above you , they simple don't care , looking after themselves .
Finning is one of the best company i've worked with,full of fun and productive.
(HET) (Former Employee), Fort McMurray,AB.May 15, 2015
working at finning is full of excitement, on a typical day working on a 797F truck (new),assembling monster components. I have learn so much at finning I cannot say it all, but in a few words I have learn how to calibrate all components, up date software, enter injector trim codes, know how to use (SIS)/(ET) and others. Management isn't perfect but co-workers. The hardest part of my job is when there is not much to do. The most enjoyable part of my job is get the job done in record time.
works as a Heavy Equipment Technician
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 2, 2015
I like to start the work day thinking in how to do the work better. Following the work instructions & using the right tools. The communication in the work environment is the key of learning the easiest & better way to work as a team. I like to be responsible. The most enjoyable part of this job is when everybody works as a Team finishing our duties on time. Great place to work, believe highly in training and support for Front Line Supervisors. Management is also very supportive and helpful, Huge Focus on Safety.
Great Products and some good people
Mining Account Manager (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCMay 7, 2015
Pros: Salary Compensation is good, Access to Caterpillar's great training.
Cons: Corporately driven with little care for employees, unstable employment with numerous layoffs
Finning was a wonderful place to work, but as the company has grown people are numbers and the company really only values the bottom line profit. Reviewing the companies history you will find numerous cycles of panic hiring and mass layoffs. Out side of that training is good and the people are professional. The employees are typically a cut above.
Overall good place to work
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABNovember 9, 2015
Pros: Good paycheque and safety culture
Cons: working out of town in cold
Worlds largest Cat heavy equipment dealer, service and repairing what they sell.
a lot of good talented people there and excellent corporate and safety culture.
Definitely corporate run, not a mom and pop establishment anymore with a large union workforce.
Working out in the cold up north away from family is the hardest thing, but the good paycheck and getting to work on some of the biggest heavy equipment in the world is definitely cool.
Great benefits and work...but some bad apples seem to poison the atmosphere
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee), calgary, abSeptember 3, 2015
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: poor management/co-worker attitudes
I liked working at finning. The facilities are good, pay is excellent, I liked the work, great benefits and they supplied most of the tooling. However; the general moral of the shop is quite bad. ?Which I don't understand? The company has no freedom to release poor workers due to the union and seniority. I fear that they may not shake this new negative image.
Comes in highly recommended with an excellent safety culture.
Apprentice 4th year (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 25, 2015
Pros: Appreciation from employee input
Cons: Priorities do not line up with budgets sometimes
Reasonable timelines and training opportunities
Very experienced team mates.
Each day has its unique challenges.
Most work accomplished as targeted.
Incomplete information can take a hefty turn
For consolation, we are often able to finish a product better than expected.
What was once Great company has been slipping away in recent years
Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 2, 2015
Finning was once a good company to work for, in recent years they have lost sight of what made them good and have been focusing on purchasing new territory and creating more management positions while reducing their effective work force.

The culture has changed, once it was a family, you were proud to be a part of, now you are ashamed of how your colleagues are treated.
interesting people, learned a lot
Labourer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: long way away from my family
The day would start off with a safety meeting, then we would be assigned tasks for the day.
-Complete the tasks, help the mechanics and tool crib, and keep the shop clean and tidy.
-managers were ok, but often contradicted each-other
-it was frustrating when safety would make certain tasks more difficult by being ridiculous
-really enjoyed the camaraderie with the mechanics
Accounts Receivable Representative (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 23, 2014
Pros: work life balance is great
Cons: not paid enough
The hardest part of my job is finding to time to handle the volume of customers calling in regularly. The most enjoyable part of my day is getting to work and having our team meetings with my coworkers. Just gives us a a moment to touch base with one another and see if there is anyway we can help each other get through the week.
Headquarters