Finning Canada

Finning Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Advancements are great
Administrative Assistant / Literature Coordinator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 27, 2015
started out in accounts payables. Moved my family to B.C. and then back to Alberta. Moved from accounting to administrative assistanc. Where I looked after 25 new sales persons.
good people, good atmosphere
Material Supply Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 27, 2015
Finning was a great place to work with good training courses, employee support and a terrific benefits package. Also many opportunities for advancement,
Challenging and interesting.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee), Ekati, NWTAugust 22, 2015
Lots of variety. You never knew what you were going to do from day to day. You can be out in the snow bank putting tracks on a bulldozer and in the shop during services.
looking to move forward with a company that will allow me to grow.
warehouse person (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 23, 2015
Finning has been a great company to work for. It will be hard to give up my current position but My time in Fort Mcmurray has come to an end.
Great workers, horrifying management and office staff
Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee), Fort McKayJune 25, 2015
Pros: Decent benefits, great pay, good atmosphere.
Cons: Incompetent office staff.
I worked for Finning Oil Sands for almost 3 years.

I have worked with some of the best and brightest workers in my life.

Minus the supervisors, management and office staff, however, have absolutely ZERO clue what is going on in the shop.

ZERO communication.That's what leads to disasters. If the office staff walked out of their offices for even 5 minutes and communicated with workers in the shop, everything would be smooth sailing.

As an apprentice, I've seen some of these jokers of people screw up my blue book, OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. I have to send it back to them, and they'd ask "What for?"

The recent lay offs are ridiculous as well. Sure, lay off 600+ workers and buy a neighbouring Cat dealership, why don't you?
Comes in highly recommended with an excellent safety culture.
Apprentice 4th year (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 25, 2015
Pros: Appreciation from employee input
Cons: Priorities do not line up with budgets sometimes
Reasonable timelines and training opportunities
Very experienced team mates.
Each day has its unique challenges.
Most work accomplished as targeted.
Incomplete information can take a hefty turn
For consolation, we are often able to finish a product better than expected.
Good place to get into the industry
Material Supply Assistant (Former Employee), CalgaryJune 3, 2015
Overall a good place to get your start in the rock and dirt industry. Shift work for most positions, unless salary. Overtime pay, benefits, vacation pay.
What was once Great company has been slipping away in recent years
Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 2, 2015
Finning was once a good company to work for, in recent years they have lost sight of what made them good and have been focusing on purchasing new territory and creating more management positions while reducing their effective work force.

The culture has changed, once it was a family, you were proud to be a part of, now you are ashamed of how your colleagues are treated.
Finning is one of the best company i've worked with,full of fun and productive.
(HET) (Former Employee), Fort McMurray,AB.May 15, 2015
working at finning is full of excitement, on a typical day working on a 797F truck (new),assembling monster components. I have learn so much at finning I cannot say it all, but in a few words I have learn how to calibrate all components, up date software, enter injector trim codes, know how to use (SIS)/(ET) and others. Management isn't perfect but co-workers. The hardest part of my job is when there is not much to do. The most enjoyable part of my job is get the job done in record time.
Great People. Poor Managment
Tool Room Attendant (Former Employee), Fort McKay/Fort McMurray/Mildred LakeMay 7, 2015
Pros: Great Co-workers, Supervisors and low level Managers, Room for Advancement.
Cons: Upper Management seemed very disconnected from the staff.
-The work is fine and co-workers are top notch.
-The pay rates are excellent.
-The shift I had was awesome. 14 days on and 14 days off, 12 hour days.
-Learned a lot working there. Great experiences for sure.
-I got laid off twice in 4 years so there is no real job security unless you are upper management.
-Work was always changing so it stayed interesting and challenging.
-Most enjoyable part of the job to me was always running the equipment.
Great Products and some good people
Mining Account Manager (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCMay 7, 2015
Pros: Salary Compensation is good, Access to Caterpillar's great training.
Cons: Corporately driven with little care for employees, unstable employment with numerous layoffs
Finning was a wonderful place to work, but as the company has grown people are numbers and the company really only values the bottom line profit. Reviewing the companies history you will find numerous cycles of panic hiring and mass layoffs. Out side of that training is good and the people are professional. The employees are typically a cut above.
Good people to work with
Apprentice Mechanic (Former Employee), Sparwood, BCApril 26, 2015
Pros: The Union
Cons: Management makes questionable decisions, but they see the whole picture, we dont
Good company, good benefits, good pay , great work atmosphere, they stress safety a lot, happy place to be,
almost everyone there would never voluntarily leave , which is a good place to work , in my eyes
Fun place to work
Third Year Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 14, 2015
Pros: Good working environment
Job-related paper work
Caterpillar equipment experience - mining, forestry, construction & truck engines
Troubleshooting equipment
Safe use of job-related tooling and equipment
Following direction from journey persons & supervisors
A chaotic mess from the top to the bottom
Admin (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 14, 2015
Cons: Many see review
Finning is sinking - 650 people let go, they closed the main office building and the truck shop but does this change the spending - no!
Management is chaotic and always jumping to the next "thing"
Management is based in another city leaving the employees to behave badly - the way people treat one another at that company is appalling and it goes unchecked. Stay away from the zoo

Senior management makes everyone stop and listen to them talk about saving money even though sr management got their large year end bonuses. No raises this year and 1 week off without pay for everyone with talk of cutting benefits but still paying $85,000/month to house people in hotels so they can work at finning.

Save yourself the frustration and annoyance and look elsewhere.
fun place to work
Think Big Service Tech (Former Employee), Victoria, Bc Red deer, AbApril 8, 2015
Pros: lots od different work
Cons: None
Great company to work for. got me through school. unfortunately economic times means there is no position for me at the company
Overall great company
Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 1, 2015
Pros: Great rotation
Cons: none
I enjoyed working at Finning Canada,
Great company, Family team feel, structured platform and great work relationships.
top heavy company that doesn't care about its people
Heavy duty Mechanic (Current Employee), Lethbridge, ABMarch 28, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: terrible executive management
pay is good but that's the only thing that keeps people around company is run very poorly. would not recommend anyone working there
Upper management leads by harassment and Bullying
Service Supervisor (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 26, 2015
Pros: great benifits
Cons: No job security/union tells management how to run the company
Middle management up thru General Management manage by intimidation and harassment. Very toxic work environment. Union tells management how to run the company. Too bad because this could be a great place to work.
A good place to work.
Customer Service Advisor, Field Service (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 4, 2015
Pros: great benifits, low stress
Cons: finning tends to hire when it is busy and terminate when it is slow, the recent oil price decrease resulted in 500 jobs cut from their budget.
-Typical day was 40% customer interaction, 60% computer work.

-I learned to how to effectively negotiate with customers both internal and external.

-Excellent people to work with.

-Hardest part of the job was negotiating with internal branches and third party vendors on costs that do not belong to Finning or their customers.

-Best part of the job was the low stress of the position itself. Finning has many people which can provide many levels of support where required.
A fun and friendly place to work
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton AlbertaFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: friendly enviroment
Cons: shift work
It was a good place to work, not very challenging though. Taking and relating messages to other departments.

Staff were all friendly and onsite cafeteria had good prices.

1 2 3 4

About Finning Canada

Finning International is Caterpillar's largest dealer and global business partner. They provide customized equipment solutions – Read more