Finning Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Good Starting Point, Room for advancement
VisionLink Coordinator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: People, benefits, room for advancement
Cons: Lot of pressure, long hours, Confusing processes
I enjoyed working with Finning for its people and the opportunity to grow within the company. The benefits are good and the salary is fair (depending on which position you apply for) I learned quite a bit and left as a more mature professional. The company is making big efforts to become more in touch with its work force however the bottom line is the bottom line and corners are cut to maximize on profits or high expectations are to be met with little support. It can be challenging at times to find a work-life balance as there is so much to do and because the company is so big it can be frustrating to coordinate with other departments to ensure that customer requests and purchases are handled effectively. Salesforce is highly valued..sometimes to the detriment of personnel and company protocols.
Overall I am proud to say I worked at Finning. Apply if you are a hardworking person who doesn't mind putting in a little extra.
Good Consulting
Business Analyst (Contracting) (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 10, 2015
Good Consulting Environment and good work life balance, good benefits for consultants and contractors, the management still needs to be improved, very poor management overall.
Journeyman Heavy Equipment Tech (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 17, 2016
Pros: Overtime, wages, safety program
Cons: None
I enjoyed my time at Finning. The environment was always positive and enjoyable, The management team was easy to deal with and well trained to oversee myself and my coworkers. I spent alot of time working on hydraulic problems, replacing and rebuilding components, fixing electrical problems, completing recalls and safety updates. Worked on all cat skid steers, telehandlers, loaders, excavators, packers and other caterpillar equipment. The hardest part of the day was sweeping the floor or cleaning while waiting for parts to show up, it makes the day longer, i would rather be working constantly. The most enjoyable part of the day was fixing a problem that others werent able to, it gave a sense of pride.
just another number, pretend to care about your safety
MECHANIC (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 28, 2016
Pros: benefits
Cons: poor management
Extremely disorganized, Poor communication, excellent benefits.
Company pretends to care for its employees but only cares about their liability
Great benefits and work...but some bad apples seem to poison the atmosphere
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee), calgary, abSeptember 3, 2015
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: poor management/co-worker attitudes
I liked working at finning. The facilities are good, pay is excellent, I liked the work, great benefits and they supplied most of the tooling. However; the general moral of the shop is quite bad. ?Which I don't understand? The company has no freedom to release poor workers due to the union and seniority. I fear that they may not shake this new negative image.
High School games at their best
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2016
Office gossip, slackers getting away with anything they want.
Managment wants to be your best friend instead of in charge to deal with the issues.

No job security, constent worry over job loss.
Too much dorperate red tape, unable to introduce new ideas to make the work place more ffiecent due to old school thinking.
Great workers, horrifying management and office staff
Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee), Fort McKayJune 25, 2015
Pros: Decent benefits, great pay, good atmosphere.
Cons: Incompetent office staff.
I worked for Finning Oil Sands for almost 3 years.

I have worked with some of the best and brightest workers in my life.

Minus the supervisors, management and office staff, however, have absolutely ZERO clue what is going on in the shop.

ZERO communication.That's what leads to disasters. If the office staff walked out of their offices for even 5 minutes and communicated with workers in the shop, everything would be smooth sailing.

As an apprentice, I've seen some of these jokers of people screw up my blue book, OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. I have to send it back to them, and they'd ask "What for?"

The recent lay offs are ridiculous as well. Sure, lay off 600+ workers and buy a neighbouring Cat dealership, why don't you?
A chaotic mess from the top to the bottom
Admin (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 14, 2015
Cons: Many see review
Finning is sinking - 650 people let go, they closed the main office building and the truck shop but does this change the spending - no!
Management is chaotic and always jumping to the next "thing"
Management is based in another city leaving the employees to behave badly - the way people treat one another at that company is appalling and it goes unchecked. Stay away from the zoo

Senior management makes everyone stop and listen to them talk about saving money even though sr management got their large year end bonuses. No raises this year and 1 week off without pay for everyone with talk of cutting benefits but still paying $85,000/month to house people in hotels so they can work at finning.

Save yourself the frustration and annoyance and look elsewhere.
Overall good place to work
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABNovember 9, 2015
Pros: Good paycheque and safety culture
Cons: working out of town in cold
Worlds largest Cat heavy equipment dealer, service and repairing what they sell.
a lot of good talented people there and excellent corporate and safety culture.
Definitely corporate run, not a mom and pop establishment anymore with a large union workforce.
Working out in the cold up north away from family is the hardest thing, but the good paycheck and getting to work on some of the biggest heavy equipment in the world is definitely cool.
not a bad place to work, some excellent co-workers
Journeyman Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABApril 6, 2016
safety is # 1, morning safety talks, always learning new stuff as you never know what might come in, some great co-workers, parts at times could be a problem, management promises things they maybe should not, all in all a good place to work.
Good Wages, Good Benefits
Mechanic (Former Employee), Red DeerOctober 2, 2015
Pros: Good Wage, Good Benefits
Cons: Mis-Management
Good place to work in the beginning, but only thing that kept employees was the wage, and the benefits package. When you worked with a team, it was great. Union environment, so you get some lazy co-workers
Very exciting and rewarding job
Safety Advisor (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 6, 2016
Pros: close to home
Cons: Stressful at times
Very fun company to work for. Great management, crew members and dispatchers. Stressful at times but with good coworkers you get through it.
Great place to work!
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Regina, SKFebruary 4, 2016
Pros: Set shifts
Cons: later shifts every other week
Finning is a great place to worked, I loved helping my customers. The work is not hard, can be physical demanding at times but you have a team to help you out.
They have good benefits.
works as a Heavy Equipment Technician
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 2, 2015
I like to start the work day thinking in how to do the work better. Following the work instructions & using the right tools. The communication in the work environment is the key of learning the easiest & better way to work as a team. I like to be responsible. The most enjoyable part of this job is when everybody works as a Team finishing our duties on time. Great place to work, believe highly in training and support for Front Line Supervisors. Management is also very supportive and helpful, Huge Focus on Safety.
good people, good atmosphere
Material Supply Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 27, 2015
Finning was a great place to work with good training courses, employee support and a terrific benefits package. Also many opportunities for advancement,
Good for the union employees
Technician (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 10, 2015
Pros: Well respected company
As a tech they were a good employer. Ended up having to leave due to lack of progression.
Finning Can be ruthless with the non-union staff when it comes to layoffs etc, very little job security.
Operations Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABNovember 26, 2015
Fast paced, results driven, customer focused, operations excellence and continous improvement; Excellent health and safety culture; overall great team work environment.
Great People. Poor Managment
Tool Room Attendant (Former Employee), Fort McKay/Fort McMurray/Mildred LakeMay 7, 2015
Pros: Great Co-workers, Supervisors and low level Managers, Room for Advancement.
Cons: Upper Management seemed very disconnected from the staff.
-The work is fine and co-workers are top notch.
-The pay rates are excellent.
-The shift I had was awesome. 14 days on and 14 days off, 12 hour days.
-Learned a lot working there. Great experiences for sure.
-I got laid off twice in 4 years so there is no real job security unless you are upper management.
-Work was always changing so it stayed interesting and challenging.
-Most enjoyable part of the job to me was always running the equipment.
Safety orientated, fast paced, and great learning opportunities.
Student / Heavy Duty Technician Apprentice (Current Employee), Fairview, ABMarch 13, 2016
Pros: Working with a variety of different techs, and staff
Cons: Abundance of safety rules.
Great company to work for. Lots of different aspects of the trade you get to experience. Travel within the program is a plus. Unfortunately, our program will not em employed after we graduate, as a factor of low economy and budget cuts.
What was once Great company has been slipping away in recent years
Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 2, 2015
Finning was once a good company to work for, in recent years they have lost sight of what made them good and have been focusing on purchasing new territory and creating more management positions while reducing their effective work force.

The culture has changed, once it was a family, you were proud to be a part of, now you are ashamed of how your colleagues are treated.
Headquarters