Finning Canada Employee Reviews

President should be fired/terrible business planning
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB20 May 2017
They are closing down Red Deer branch ( and have already closed other towns) for no reason other than greed. Destroying families and bankruptcies is no biggie.
Customers are being lied to as well. Every person who uses Finning should boycott.
Inhuman treatment of long term employees just to bump up share prices a bit.
Never ever work for Finning. Never. It is all lies and the second you are not needed or the stock prices drop ten cents you will be liquidated so JC can look good.
Pros
Decent wages
Cons
Easily canned
Good experience, decent training, good pay
FIELD MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  BC17 May 2017
Good experience, decent training, good pay. Lots of support, good supplies and equipment, they give you everything you need for success generally.

Its not the old Finning that made their reputation. But still better than any other dealer around.
depressing
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 May 2017
While working under management who continually harass their employees and degrade them. It is very hard to maintain a positive attitude with the continuing favourtism and constant bickering and stabbing in the back from fellow employees
Great business with poor executive management
Planner, Supply Chain - New Product Introduction (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB1 May 2017
I really enjoyed working here as the people were great to work with, but the high number of CEO's over the last ten years has left the company without direction.
Pros
Above average pay
Cons
disjointed long term vision
Ok place to work, management is disconnected
Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2017
It's basically an OK place to work. It's just that management is very disconnected from service, and in doing so the policies and procedures translate well into an office environment, but not on the shop floor.

I enjoy the work, the crew, the location, the hours, but the environment is toxic otherwise. Management is in need of an overhaul.
Pros
good wage, good benefits
Cons
red tape, inability to respond, inefficient
union atmostphere
Service Welding Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB13 April 2017
I is very difficult to work in a union setting. every one is not equal, seinority is more than ability. HR is almost never around to deal with problems.
Pros
benifits
Cons
union
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB15 March 2017
i enjoyed my time at finning and if i lived in red deer i would try to work there again. I worked on and near heavy equipment. I was trained to use overhead cranes, Cat equipment, and shop machinery.
great work environment and managemnt
Office Clerk/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 March 2017
I enjoyed my job with Finning International, management and staff were always professional and respectful to all employees continuous learning and encouragement to be successful. This company appreciated their employees and encourage them to persevere.
Pros
great employee benefits and training
Cons
no cons
Learn a lot and multi-talented people
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2017
My experience is that minorities are not treated well. However, you are able to develop your career through either training Finning provides or pays for.
Pros
Training
Cons
Long hours, discrimination
I enjoyed working at Finning.
Training and Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 February 2017
I was primarily involved with HR/LR developed employee discipline system, dealt with grievances and arbitrations. Was also responsible for all Technical training and spent time as Customer Service Manager at Hay River in the NWT.
Pros
Large International Company
Cons
Internal office politics
Many individuals to pull individuals from should you need helpto complete a project.
Learning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2017
Was given the ability to use interpersonal skills with the sales force and train on various commission plans. Able to communicate with all levels of personnel in and outside of the organization.
Pros
Finning Shares
This was a temporary position
Temp Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2017
My position here was printing and compiling binders for the various courses Finning provided. I also printed class certificates, updated attendees files and copied all their existing tickets for their files.
Pros
Fun girls to work with
Cons
Temporary position
Great Product and Great Staff.
Parts Technician (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB26 January 2017
A company with a great growth potential provided that the cart is Not placed be fore the horse. The local people have a deep concern for their customer and there needs is be a balance management team in place to support these wonderful people.
Pros
Treated fair, great experience.
Cons
too many missing links in management(organizational) chain
Depends on the management
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  edmonton,AB20 January 2017
it depends if the management is good, it will be the best place to work, but if management is bad it will be nightmare. Working with my old manager was heaven, my new manager was bad
good work life balance
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Clairmont, AB17 January 2017
-very fast paced most days but management sets unrealistic goals for month end
-learned to multi task and organize a lot better
-co workers are a good team to work with
-hardest part is to get everything all done in one day
-making the customer happy and finishing the goal that you set for your self to get done for the day
Sneaky tactics by management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Alberta16 January 2017
Zero support for the role I was in. Self admitting management said they "failed at providing support", yet its your problem you aren't trained properly to excel at your job. High stress environment and unreal expectations. Try to make suggestions to better the work environment and they are shrugged off because its not part of "Service Excellence". No job security. Management uses bully tactics and intimidation on a daily basis and have no trust. No room for advancement unless you know someone. Overall a poor experience for myself and my peers. Stay away.
Pros
Pension, stock plan
Cons
High stress environment, no support, horrible office dynamic, low job moral, no recognition
Great place to work with great people
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 January 2017
Worked with an amazing group of people during my 10 years at Finning. The experience I have gained will be with me for a lifetime. The hardest part of the job was watching co-workers leave due to layoffs. With the state of the oil industry in flux, job security is a concern.
Pros
Good atmosphere, great people
Cons
job security, workload increase due to layoffs
No longer the best...
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Alberta6 January 2017
As an apprentice was told about "the good old days" at Finning.
Seems those days have come and gone.
Witnessed several changes in management, not always for the best.
Company is very top heavy and can't seem to make effective or sound business decisions in this economy and now with their move into Sask. The little guy (tradesman) always loses.
Job security was always questionable. Safety number one although sometimes to the point of excess. Otherwise good pay, top notch benefits. Enjoyed the variety of work within the company.
Pros
Competitive pay and benefits, good hours.
Cons
Upper management similar to our federal government. Union.
Terrible Wages
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 January 2017
No raises in many years, layoff's constantly so you're always wondering if today's the day they walk you out the door.
Wouldn't recommend working here.
Huge Layoffs
Buyer II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 January 2017
Decent place to work, work-life-balance was great at this company. Unfortunately from the time i was there they downsized 3 times in a matter of a year. Most people and the environment seemed down because of the initial rounds of layoffs, it only made it worse once the other two happened.

Culture is rather stagnant, everyone acts busy when in reality the workplace is a regular work environment.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
job security.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Finning Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval