Financial Debt Recovery is a single source provider for all corporate credit and receivable management needs, focused on collection services. As we continue to grow and to build upon our successes, we are interested in hiring new talented professionals who provide value-added services.
Our Head Office in Richmond Hill has an opportunity for a Controller to lead our finance and accounting group. Working in a busy, demanding, fast-paced environment, you will be ultimately responsible for strategic financial planning, forecasting, cost analysis, budgeting, general accounting duties (including payroll), and trust account reconciliation.
We are looking for an individual who holds a Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration along with a recognized accounting designation, and 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in a supervisory role for a company in the financial services industry. Preference will be given to candidates with the Chartered Accountant, Certified General Accountant, or Certified Management Accountant designation. The ideal candidate possesses patience, tact and initiative; is detail- and customer-service oriented; and is proficient in accounting and payroll software. We offer industry-competitive pay and benefits.
Reports to: President
Supervises: Finance and Accounting Department
The Controller is accountable for the transactional accounting operations of the company, including the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles and/or international financial reporting standards.
1. Develop financial and tax strategies and plans;
2. Assist in formulating the company's future direction and supporting tactical initiatives.
1. Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures;
2. Manage outsourced functions;
3. Oversee the operations of the finance and accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives;
4. Train, supervisor, motivate, and develop staff;
5. Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiary corporations, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
1. Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner;
2. Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly;
3. Process payroll, including commissions, in a timely manner;
4. Monitor all electronic transactions to ensure smooth, timely, and efficient flows of transactions;
5. Ensure that bank reconciliations are completed;
6. Ensure all government remittances are completed in a timely manner;
7. Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis;
8. Prepare rent roll statement and manage tenant leases, rent, and payments;
9. Maintain the chart of accounts;
10. Maintain an orderly accounting filing system;
11. Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions sufficient to satisfy compliance with audit standards.
Analysis and Reporting:
1. Ensure timely and complete financial reporting requirements for the company operations;
2. Coordinate the preparation of the corporate annual report;
3. Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations;
4. Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics;
5. Manage the production of monthly and annual operating and capital budgets and forecasts;
6. Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management;
7. Provide for a system of management cost reports;
8. Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations;
1. Ensure the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit;
2. Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants;
3. Ensure compliance with provincial and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Works primarily in a fast-paced, dynamic, and demanding office environment;
- Will be expected to travel as needed to other company locations and subsidiaries;
- Periodic weekend or evening work is expected as part of base remuneration.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please e-mail your resume to lucaspATfdr.on.ca