The Co-operative Retailing System (CRS) is a unique, multi-billion dollar organization based on the fundamental principles of co-operation. It is comprised of a network of approximately 235 autonomous retail co-operatives across Western Canada along with their branch operations, and Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL). FCL is the wholesaling/manufacturing arm of the CRS, which provides the retail co-ops with a range of products and services. FCL invites applications for the position of Director Government Relations in our Home Office located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. There is flexibility where the role could be located at the Co-op Refinery Complex in Regina, Saskatchewan.
Reporting to the Vice-President of Corporate Affairs, responsibilities for this position include the following:
1. Develop and oversee the execution of a comprehensive government relations strategy for FCL and all wholly owned subsidiaries that; mitigate the organization’s risks and ensure regulatory compliance, monitor government actions and the impact to the organization, create a strategic framework to ensure government policies and programs reflect the interests of the organization, and raise the profile of FCL and the co-operative business model to officials and elected representatives at all levels of government.
2. Develop strategic relationships and leverage partnerships with government officials and elected representatives to gain support for FCL/CRS policy and regulatory positions.
3. Identify, guide, and deploy appropriate meetings, discussions, and talks to represent FCL at meetings with government offices and/or elected representatives.
4. Coordinate FCL’s relationships with a range of trade associations to ensure the strategic and clearly defined roles and responsibilities for the most effective deployment of FCL human and financial capital in support of those associations.
5. Provide appropriate communication to retail members of the CRS to enhance their understanding of government relations issues and FCL’s positions on those issues.
6. Develop and lead a long-term strategy to support retail members of the CRS to execute government relations functions (e.g. municipal relations, First Nations relations) as appropriate.
Applicants must have a University degree in Communications, Business, Journalism, and Government Relations or other related field along with a minimum of 10 years of experience in legislative, regulatory, political or public affairs industry. The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of the co-operative business model and have strong strategic, political, communication, negotiating and interpersonal skills.
FCL offers a competitive salary, ongoing personal and professional development, and the opportunity to work with one of western Canada's most successful organizations. Relocation assistance will be provided.
Please submit a detailed resume in confidence to:
Talent Acquisition Co-ordinator
Federated Co-operatives Limited
401 - 22nd Street East
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7K 3M9