FDM Group Employee Reviews

A Catch 22 at its Finest
Hadoop Developer Trainee (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2015
All right I am going to be as candid as possible in this synopsis.
Yes FDM does give you the foundation to jumpstart a career in IT especially for college graduates. But it has severe reprucussions and generally exploits the desperation of individuals trying to find work as well, in particular recent college graduates which is their target market.
FDM's Business model is predicated on maximizing profit above all else. So they're streams are accelerated learning environment which is essentially blazing through a myriad of topics with no reverse gear. Different streams include Hadoop, which was mine as well as application support, data/financial analysis, project management. This profit driven mentality is why they train you in such a rapid fashion and attempt to flush you out to clients ASAP. So they can prepare for the next batch of trainees "slaves". This is done all so the smoothe talking salesman can make they're precious commissions off us. There are really two factions that drive FDM those being the sales side and the IT side. Really a classic salesman and his merchandise dynamic implemented by the company designed to heavily favor the salesman. This dynamic runs from 9am-5:30pm weekdays.

When you take an objective step back and analyze your role with FDM underneath it all. You realize this is smoke and mirrors accentuated by a highly manipulative contract structured solely to benefit the company in every capacity. The most obvious exploitative aspect being the extremely low pay curve. They give you peanuts in comparison to the profits they make
  more... off each placement. That isn't debatable. The irony is they more than have the resources to make your salary semi competitive to a similar entry level software engineer position it's just they choose not to. That facility is a high rise skyscraper Wall Street!!! What you are trained for isn't necessarily a guarantee as to what you will be doing with a client which at some level defeats the purpose.

As I can only speak from the standpoint of the Hadoop stream I can tell you you'll learn SQL, Linux/UNIX, Perl, JavaScript, HTML, CSS as well as Oracle, Java and of course Hadoop. FDM's personal resources are decent but they're not groundbreaking and you'd be just as fine if not better learning these languages from a comprehensive site like Udemy.

Management is relatively hands off unless you do something egregious. Acts like consistent lateness, cursing someone out, severe underperformance. Obvious discrepancies that draw attention to yourself like that. It's just best to go about your business get along relatively decent with the staff in place and productively learn.
Pros
Exceptional facility with the emphasis on exceptional
Cons
Low pay curve, sales oriented, topics glossed over, get in get out rubric
Productive and fun workplace
Software Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  Leeds, ENGOctober 8, 2015
I love working in a challenging environment and FDM Group provides just that. It is a place where you will be stretched and given all you could need to attain your goals. Its equally a fun place to work, equipped with all you may need to enjoy yourself while on break.
Pros
Modern office settings with amazing facilities
Cons
You are tied down to a two years contract after your training.
Great Oppertunities
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, London, Glasgow, LeedsMarch 6, 2015
Busy and a vibe of productivity and learning.
You get out what you put in.
Hard work and determination are required.

Great Summer parties
Pros
free tea, coffee and water
Cons
long hours and if not working in sales there are no perks.
good company to launch career
Junior Test Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  leedsDecember 13, 2014
FDM is a great company to launch your career within the QA sector , however from my experiance the company do not give you the oppotunity to progress your career futher , as a contracter you may be onsite with companys and may perform well and are asked to take on extra responabilitys and you may work your wayy up the chain of command within that company , when the contract ends FDM then need you out as soon as possiable back on another project for a different company and in my experiance you are then placed back down to the bottom of the chain this can be quite disheartening if you have put alot of effort in your previous role.
Pros
the company gives you the oppotunity to work in may high level blue chip companys.
Cons
you have to relocate if they find you a place.
Fast paced
Application Support Analyst ● IT (Former Employee) –  LondonOctober 8, 2014
Award winning training. Highly recommended.
I learnt interview techniques,
SQL
UNIX scripting
OS Admin
ITIL V3 Certified
Overall
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 16, 2014
I think that FDM is a great place to get your career started, but expect to be taken advantage of, as 50% of your salary is taken out for FDM.
Productive and fun workplace. Lovely people.
Travel-Coordinator then Client Liaison Support (Former Employee) –  Brighton, ENGDecember 16, 2013
What was great about the company was they wanted you to progress and move up in the company. In my time there I moved quickly from Receptionist to Travel Coordinator to Client Liaison Support. My typical day was extremely busy and fast paced and I often would stay extra hours but that was the nature of the travel role as people would often put in last minuet requests which had to be complete. I enjoyed going home at the end of the day feeling that I had achieved something as I ran the Travel by myself and it was a lot to take on.
FDM Group
Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2013
The FDM Academy helps place individuals as consultants at their client sites. Each client site is unique in what services they need, so interviews are needed to assess the competencies of the applicants from FDM.

FDM provides services in multiple fields including Project Management, Business Analysis and Quality Assurance.

At FDM I was trained to provide Services in Project Management, Business Analysis and Quality Assurance at any client site that felt i met their requirements.
Fun workplace
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJune 24, 2013
We would learn of a new technology and implement it the same day.
Great company
IT/Finance Trainee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2013
It is a great company to start your career in IT out of college. The training you will receive before getting placed is well worth it. The office is also located in an iconic building on WallStreet.
A very good place to get yourself motivated.
Intern/Java Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2013
I learned a new language and a variety of new things in languages I had prior experience in. Overall, the 17 week training period was very helpful. You could find help when you needed it and trainers were always available to help you with anything that you needed.

The only down side of this place is their success rate with placing trainees into the work field. The account managers have 17 weeks to get to know us and find us suitable jobs but spend only the last few moments to find this out.
Pros
helps motivate you to learn new things.
Cons
unpaid, low placement rate, low pay when placed.
Mad House
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2013
Do not go there. They are not what they preach. I went to interview then later got a job and was told that I would be placed that never happened.
Productive workplace that provides training to their new trainees.
IT Project Manager/Support Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2013
With this organization, I received quality training that has helped progress my knowledge of the vast IT world. I managed to learn UNIX shell scripting, Microsoft Visio, Oracle SQL Plus, and Professional Skills.
Management is friendly and helpful to everyone's needs. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the trainer's helpful attitudes towards helping everyone gain the best comprehension of all new material.
Great training, when it performs its functions FDM suceeds
Business Analyst/Junior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2012
FDM provides great IT and Financial training to many recent undergraduates that have completed their schooling and to many others seeking to break into the world of IT.

Covering topics from Unix shell scripting, training in Oracle SQL databases, Excel VBA, Java, Financial and Business Analysis, as well as preparing you for your ITIL v3 Foundation certification the 12+ week unpaid training period is worth it-- but there is a catch.

Once training is complete, and you have signed of with the Academy trainers, a 90 day placement period begins. When it succeeds FDM will have placed you at one of many reputable financial service companies or investment banks within the NY tristate area, at which time your are 'leased' out to these companies for a 2 year period under FDM. When your 2 year period is up, you are free to stay with the leasing company, if they chose to keep you on.

When FDM fails, there is a 90 day waiting period. After completing the training period there is no guarantee FDM will place you. After the 90 day period if you are not placed, you are free to pursue other options.
Pros
great training and exposure to many of the worlds leading investment banks
Cons
unpaid training period with no guarantee of a job placement afterwards
Nice place to work
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2012
I enjoyed working there. It was a good company and very nice people.