FDM Group Employee Reviews

Great provided you have no preference regarding where you work.
Software Development Trainee (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire12 April 2017
- Great if you have no preference regarding where you work.
- Not so great if you have any preferences whatsoever.
- The training you receive is usually of very high standard.
- Only travel costs paid during entire time at FDM until you start your first placement, so wages are nil.
- Hours required to be in the office during training at 8:45 to 5:30.
- Finding a placement is not very well organised, which on multiple occasions led to me finding out I had an interview in a different city late at night outside work hours for the following day.
- The company only placed 25% of our intake before the 90 days were up.
Demanding workplace
Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire13 March 2017
This is a demanding workplace which can easily take up more time than is paid for. Giving extra is not always recognised or taken into account and free time is a premium.
Pros
Rewarding working with people
Cons
very long hours
A Commitment With Many Potential Benefits
IT Consultant/Contractor (Former Employee) –  New York, NY15 February 2017
FDM is an IT Consultant firm that specializes in giving career pursuers a headstart in the IT-related field. You are asked to commit to a roughly 3-month training period before you placed at one of their clientele. During my time there, I learned Financial and Professional Skills. I was trained to use Microsoft Excel, UNIX, System Administration, PL/SQL and Project Management.

The culture there seems very understanding, and it uses UK formatting for Month, Day, Year. Management seems willing to work with their employees.
Pros
Receive good training in valuable skills for the IT world.
Cons
Very easy to get your contract cut; forced to a 3-month training period without compensation
Good learning curve
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London19 January 2017
Perfect place for a graduate to gain industry experience with the top employers within the City and beyond. Training also provided and minimum 2 years must be complete with the company.
Lots of Learning
Risk, Regulation and Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 January 2017
The work life at FDM is great as everyone is a graduate around you. During my time there I managed to establish many connections with people and learn a lot of new skills. I learnt SQL, excel with VBA and finally risk, regulation and compliance analysis.
Read the fine print
Trainee PSO / BA (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow11 January 2017
Be very careful as after being recruited and trained, you may have to wait up to 90 days to get placed (if you get placed) throughout which you will not be paid. Make sure that you understand all risks beforehand.
Fantastic Training
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Glasgow9 January 2017
Fantastic training and coaching helping me to gain qualifications to progress my career. The office has some great characters and has a good feel and morale. My only real fault is the follow on and actually getting a placement of work. I was part of a course that has had a large percentage not being able to be placed and those who were placed were done through other offices.
Pros
Excellent teaching
Cons
Placements
Best and worst place I have worked all wrapped in to one
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London7 December 2016
Great culture of work hard play hard. This business is somewhat like a cult and I dont say that as a negative. I've never had so much fun as when I worked at FDM. Sadly the management rule by fear and each day when entering work is one of wondering whether you will have a job at the end of it. There is clear favouritsm towards a certain team of employees.
Pros
culture, fun, work hard play hard, great commission
Cons
management
Drill Camp and a lot of favouritism
Graduate Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station9 October 2016
It was an interesting experience to say the least! Consequently left due to staff bullying.

A large majority of the successful account managers are related to the CEO.

I didnt not get the impression that they valued staff and this was very evident from the huge turnover.
Pros
Cons
Not very supportive with staff and gradautes alike
Great career opportunities
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  New York, NY13 June 2016
I enjoy working at FDM because it has a work hard play hard culture, where individuals are encouraged to make a difference. FDM hosts some pretty cool summer parties for employees all over the world to reward everyone for their hard work and the CEO always makes an effort to attend. Generally my colleagues are great at all levels (obviously there are always one or two who may not be but this is inevitable) and the multi-cultural dynamic we have in the office makes it a nice place to work.
Pros
Inclusive company culture, fun and dynamic working environment and awesome colleagues
Cons
No 401k yet although they are introducing it this year
A Catch 22 at its Finest
Hadoop Developer Trainee (Current Employee) –  New York, NY27 December 2015
All right I am going to be as candid as possible in this synopsis.
Yes FDM does give you the foundation to jumpstart a career in IT especially for college graduates. But it has severe reprucussions and generally exploits the desperation of individuals trying to find work as well, in particular recent college graduates which is their target market.
FDM's Business model is predicated on maximizing profit above all else. So they're streams are accelerated learning environment which is essentially blazing through a myriad of topics with no reverse gear. Different streams include Hadoop, which was mine as well as application support, data/financial analysis, project management. This profit driven mentality is why they train you in such a rapid fashion and attempt to flush you out to clients ASAP. So they can prepare for the next batch of trainees "slaves". This is done all so the smoothe talking salesman can make they're precious commissions off us. There are really two factions that drive FDM those being the sales side and the IT side. Really a classic salesman and his merchandise dynamic implemented by the company designed to heavily favor the salesman. This dynamic runs from 9am-5:30pm weekdays.

When you take an objective step back and analyze your role with FDM underneath it all. You realize this is smoke and mirrors accentuated by a highly manipulative contract structured solely to benefit the company in every capacity. The most obvious exploitative aspect being the extremely low pay curve. They give you peanuts in comparison to the profits they make
  more... off each placement. That isn't debatable. The irony is they more than have the resources to make your salary semi competitive to a similar entry level software engineer position it's just they choose not to. That facility is a high rise skyscraper Wall Street!!! What you are trained for isn't necessarily a guarantee as to what you will be doing with a client which at some level defeats the purpose.

As I can only speak from the standpoint of the Hadoop stream I can tell you you'll learn SQL, Linux/UNIX, Perl, JavaScript, HTML, CSS as well as Oracle, Java and of course Hadoop. FDM's personal resources are decent but they're not groundbreaking and you'd be just as fine if not better learning these languages from a comprehensive site like Udemy.

Management is relatively hands off unless you do something egregious. Acts like consistent lateness, cursing someone out, severe underperformance. Obvious discrepancies that draw attention to yourself like that. It's just best to go about your business get along relatively decent with the staff in place and productively learn.
Pros
Exceptional facility with the emphasis on exceptional
Cons
Low pay curve, sales oriented, topics glossed over, get in get out rubric
Productive and fun workplace
Software Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  Leeds, ENG8 October 2015
I love working in a challenging environment and FDM Group provides just that. It is a place where you will be stretched and given all you could need to attain your goals. Its equally a fun place to work, equipped with all you may need to enjoy yourself while on break.
Pros
Modern office settings with amazing facilities
Cons
You are tied down to a two years contract after your training.
Java Developer Training (Former Employee) –  New York, NY11 September 2015
Not so great pay but a good place to start your career to exposure to the industry and the workings.The work life balance is okay and not the best place to stay and work.
Great Oppertunities
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, London, Glasgow, Leeds6 March 2015
Busy and a vibe of productivity and learning.
You get out what you put in.
Hard work and determination are required.

Great Summer parties
Pros
Free Tea, Coffee and water
Cons
Long Hours and if not working in sales there are no perks.
good company to launch career
Junior Test Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  leeds13 December 2014
FDM is a great company to launch your career within the QA sector , however from my experiance the company do not give you the oppotunity to progress your career futher , as a contracter you may be onsite with companys and may perform well and are asked to take on extra responabilitys and you may work your wayy up the chain of command within that company , when the contract ends FDM then need you out as soon as possiable back on another project for a different company and in my experiance you are then placed back down to the bottom of the chain this can be quite disheartening if you have put alot of effort in your previous role.
Pros
the company gives you the oppotunity to work in may high level blue chip companys.
Cons
you have to relocate if they find you a place.
Fast paced
Application Support Analyst ● IT (Former Employee) –  London8 October 2014
Award winning training. Highly recommended.
I learnt interview techniques,
SQL
UNIX scripting
OS Admin
ITIL V3 Certified
Overall
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NY16 May 2014
I think that FDM is a great place to get your career started, but expect to be taken advantage of, as 50% of your salary is taken out for FDM.
Productive and fun workplace. Lovely people.
Travel-Coordinator then Client Liaison Support (Former Employee) –  Brighton, ENG16 December 2013
What was great about the company was they wanted you to progress and move up in the company. In my time there I moved quickly from Receptionist to Travel Coordinator to Client Liaison Support. My typical day was extremely busy and fast paced and I often would stay extra hours but that was the nature of the travel role as people would often put in last minuet requests which had to be complete. I enjoyed going home at the end of the day feeling that I had achieved something as I ran the Travel by myself and it was a lot to take on.
FDM Group
Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NY11 July 2013
The FDM Academy helps place individuals as consultants at their client sites. Each client site is unique in what services they need, so interviews are needed to assess the competencies of the applicants from FDM.

FDM provides services in multiple fields including Project Management, Business Analysis and Quality Assurance.

At FDM I was trained to provide Services in Project Management, Business Analysis and Quality Assurance at any client site that felt i met their requirements.
Fun workplace
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NY24 June 2013
We would learn of a new technology and implement it the same day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FDM Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6