FCT Employee Reviews

Great learning experience
Assistant Title Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2016
The job provided a wide range of new skills that can be developed and learned. Management is supportive. Co-workers were very friendly. Lots of overtime in the summer.
Pros
Available training and learning
Cons
Housing market has an effect on job security
Toxic environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 November 2016
Answer calls from irate, verbally abusive lawyers
No performance review feedback from manager. Little to no diversity in workforce. Management poorly organized and often hands down incomplete, poorly thought out, and contrary directives.
Pros
Free lunch sometimes
Cons
Low wage, little to opportunity for advancement, no diversity
fun and professional workplace
Assistant Title Officer (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB27 October 2016
Great company to work for, good staff/employees. fun and safe place to work at, lots of activities like BBQs and fundraising. Secured building and free parking.
Great company to work for
Recovery Officer (Current Employee) –  Oakville6 September 2016
FCT is a great place to work, the only reason I am looking for another job because commuting is nightmare.

I had learned so much from the job and management is awesome.
Soul suckers
Speicalist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 July 2016
Consistently overworked and underpaid, underappreciated and never give any opportunity, unless of course you are a 'favorite' or sleeping with senior management....
Great work life balance and awesome teamwork
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  London, ON18 July 2016
Its a very good place to work with lots of benefits and peaceful atmosphere, always room for growth and helpful seniors as well as management and HR team.
Productive and Professional
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON15 June 2016
Great company to work with. Company with great ethics and rich culture. Knows how to take care of an employee and provides work-life balance.
Productive and Fun place
BUSINESS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON30 May 2016
Good team and excellent work life balance, good team and association. somewhat conservative but better for permanent positions. Would definitely work again. overall experience is good
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Conservative environment
Very good company to work for, and I was treated very fairly for the time I was employed there
Assistant Title Officer (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB19 May 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my employment at FCT and would recommend them as a fair and equitable company to work for. The work atmosphere was relaxed and my supervisors were fair and reasonable in their expectations
Poor
IT Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 April 2016
I enjoyed working for FCT however I found there was no company advancement available for me.
I am hoping to find a company with more lateral and upward mobility.
I liked my coworkers and most of the management.
Pros
Grill
Cons
Long Hours
very good place to work
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  London, ON15 December 2015
work life balance
no pressure
family atmosphere
flexible
team members are very good and helping
no ego
no politics
manager is so good
lot of opportunity to learn
Pros
gun at work
Fast-paced and Customer Service driven; excellent on-site amenities
Commercial Real Estate Law Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON29 August 2015
FCT is a place filled with versatile professionals for all areas of corporate success (Sales, Marketing, HR, etc.) and the customer servicing and claims departments which are the "meat and potatoes" processing title insurance orders for legal professionals are all generally from a real estate and/or legal background.
The environment is friendly and open concept without any offices just cubicles so there is no "us" and "them" feeling between employees and management.
There is a lovely on-site grill and cafeteria and a spacious outdoor patio and indoor dining area.
Employees receive many perks and benefits and are trained to become unique thinkers and to feel empowered in their daily tasks and handling of their jobs.
There is a full gym and change rooms on-site as well as a staff lounge with fooze ball.
Pros
free coffees/teas; onsite gym facilities; good grill & food served
Cons
seated all day on phone queues, many auditor reports, employee work is rated and reports made
Do not work for this sorry excuse of a company!
mortgages (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Ontario1 June 2015
An absolutely terrible place to work, I highly recommend no one works for this poor excuse for a company. First of all this firm has terrible management at the top and it is reflected throughout the entire organization. I was told several times during my training to quote, “Cover my a@#”. There was no camaraderie or team spirit, it was about looking after yourself and shifting blame to other people.

Management was disingenuous and fake, text book fake smiles to your face and talk behind your back. The training was severely lacking, and my supervisor did a great job of bullying me and making me feel so uncomfortable that I wasn’t able to talk to her or ask her questions and advice on how to perform my job. I latter on found out that she only had a high school education and her contract was over in 2 month’s so she purposely did her best to sabotage me by going out of her way to be mean to me and nice to everyone else. When I brought this up to my manager the issue was sweep under the rug and she took her side. Not a surprise since politics is the norm and it’s all about being as selfish as possible and stab your fellow co-workers in the back when you get a chance.

We were asked to do write up’s called “kaizen” on how the company could improve. We were expected to do at least one report. As a new hire I had done 5, and none of my fellow new hires had done one. So basically my contract ended because I was ambitious, hungry, welling to learn and a good team player. I didn’t fit the selfish, pompous employee they are grooming at FCT. By far the worst company I have had the
  more... misfortune of working for and the most unprofessional company. There is a reason why a lot of lawyers refuse to use them for title insurance.  less
Pros
There is free coffee and tea, this is the only positives for this job.
Cons
The list is long, I covered some of them in my review.
Just a regular boring starter job, working 8:30-5 in a grey cubicle.
Junior Title Officer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 June 2015
I've only worked here for 6 months, but I hear all the other employees complaining about how they are treated, how hard they are worked, how they are not given enough help and how they are not paid enough. (who is paid enough though?)

FCT has a lot of jobs to give out, but doesn't have much of a salary to offer those workers. The work is very stressful and includes a lot of overtime. It's hard not to bring it home with you. I have already seen one woman have a nervous breakdown because her workload was so intense.
Pros
stable-- they do offer employee incentives. I get benefits and a job right out of college.
Cons
overworked, underpaid, not at all satisfied with what I do
Tons of pressure, awful work environment, negativity, contract work
JTO (Former Employee) –  Hamiton6 May 2015
Shortly after being hired by FCT, it was easy to see why the turn over rate is so extremely high. They rarely hire full time positions and you always start on a contract. You are expected to work over time without over time pay. if you don't work over time, your fellow employees become disgruntled with you.

The Hamilton office is where I was employed and I worked with the most negative people I had ever met in my entire life
Pros
lunch room, free coffee and tea
Cons
unpaid over time, awful co workers, management that promises but never follows through, over worked, underpaid, negative work environment
Not a Great Place to Work, do not value employees
Title Searcher (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 March 2015
Worked for this company for over 10 years; company has a high-rate of turn-over of employees. Favoritism from management for their family and friends,with no relevant education required--who you know counts! Unqualified management, just because you worked at bank or a law office does not make you management material. Not everyone has the opportunity with this company for growth both personal and professional.

FCT seems have driven many employees to sickness and depression. All the negative comments I have read about FCT,, First Canadian title, or whatever name they are going by, are true! They did the same to me as with many others apparently, they called me for a meeting and let me go, no reason given. They can hire the students that were trained by the qualified people to do the work cheaper!! They treated people horribly! FCT could care less Who's life they ruin. I agree with Finance's review " The environment at FCT is toxic. Due to the overwhelming negativity of leadership and employees and unreasonable work volume requirements, this company can take a person with a naturally positive disposition and turn him/her into an unhappy and over-stressed insomniac. The leadership team is so concerned with revenue that they have completely forgotten about the value positive customer experience. The attitude is - get it done fast and cheap, who cares about the building a solid product. The actions of decision-makers do not even closing align with the words. On countless occasions, promises were made to address issues and concerns, and then after that initial conversation
  more... absolutely nothing was done" Poor management, Negative environment, poor wages.

I also agree with no security's review " DO NOT sign on to work with FCT. Your information is not safe. Employees can have their personal cell phones at their desk, with Bankruptcy creditor's packages open in front of them. No cameras monitor what goes in or leaves. Paper can be taken out of the secured area with no effort to hide it"

it is true that every employee had to produce two Kaizens (an idea to improve the company by saving or making money for FCT) minimum per year. You make them thousands and you get a nice unhealthy treat while you are chained to a desks for hours at time. I would not recommend this place to do business or work for. If you liked to be overworked, underpaid and unappreciated this is the place for you!
Pros
made some good friends there
Cons
to many to mention
Large company, many employees
Title Searcher/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 March 2015
Worked with the banks to search titles on homes for a second mortgage . Entered all the clients information in data base. Searched for liens or debts that customers may have had against them.
I learned several things on mortgages and customer service.
the management was wonderfull at First Canadian Title and enjoyable to work with.
I enjoyed working with my co workers it was a great team together, I still have contact with several of them.
the hardest part of the job was when there were several people with the same name who was applying for the second loan and I had to be sure and search very had to be accurate with who was the correct person.
the most enjoyable part of this job was working with people at the banks . it was very enjoyable when I did not find any liens ect on the person applying for the loan and knew they would have a happy day when the loan was approved. I enjoyed my team as everyone was very friendly and helpful to one another.
Pros
yearly BBQ with the familys of all the co workers
Cons
to far to drive
office setting
Personnel Property Service Act Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 March 2015
I was in charge of a mini department. I re-wrote legal descriptions of properties for financing. I used 2 monitors and linked up with another screen from our Halifax Office.
productive place to work
Documentation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 October 2014
Was very structured and productive. Made you feel comfortable in your enviroment
Pros
excellent customer service
Finance
Finance (Former Employee) –  London9 August 2014
In the beginning, I would have eagerly said that this company was fantastic, healthy, and full of opportunity. Years later, after change of ownership and leadership, I can't even see a glimmer of the great organization it once was. The environment at FCT is toxic. Due to the overwhelming negativity of leadership and employees and unreasonable work volume requirements, this company can take a person with a naturally positive disposition and turn him/her into an unhappy and over-stressed insomniac. The leadership team is so concerned with revenue that they have completely forgotten about the value positive customer experience. The attitude is - get it done fast and cheap, who cares about the building a solid product. The actions of decision-makers do not even closing align with the words. On countless occasions, promises were made to address issues and concerns, and then after that initial conversation absolutely nothing was done.

A typical day starts with you knowing that your day is going to be awful. Throughout the day you can anticipate battling fires, witnessing finger-pointing, seeing people break-down for one of many reasons, among many other colourful things. Employee turnover is higher than normal, which comes as no surprise.

Since I have moved on, I have learned that what is happening at FCT is not normal. The leadership tries to convince you that how they do things is normal, but trust me, it's not. For as appalling as it all was, I was lucky to have met a select few that are truly great people.

I hope that things will change for FCT, but if
  more... the people driving and navigating the figurative school bus are left to their own devices, I sincerely believe that the future is bleak.  less

2.9