Fastenal

Fastenal Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
This is an interesting and fast pace place to work.
Quoter/ Inside Sales (Former Employee), Winona, MNOctober 30, 2014
Pros: good pay, benefits, no overtime
Cons: management, lacking in communication, very difficult to get straight answers
I learned many new skills. Some skills I learned were: customer service, telecommunications and advanced multitasking. I enjoyed the people I worked with very much.
Dynamic Learning Enviroment
General Manager (Current Employee), Summerville, SCOctober 29, 2014
Pros: descision making abilities
Cons: pay
Good place to work. Everyday is different from the last with new challenges presenting themselves constantly. As a Branch Manager, I am given complete responsibility for the business unit and ability to control it like it is my own small business.

Responsibilities include: Employee Management/Training, Inside/Outside Sales, Purchasing, Inventory Management, Collections

The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable part of the job, complete responsibility for all aspects of the business

I enjoyed training employees and seeing them get promoted from the skilled they gained while working with me
A leading company in Industerial sales
General Manager (GM)- Buyer, Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee), VTOctober 29, 2014
Pros: advancement
Cons: too much turn over
Good company to work for if you are just starting out in Sales
Don't waste your time!!
Outside Sales (Former Employee), Kerrville, TXOctober 29, 2014
Cons: management, you have to pay for your uniforms
This company is a joke. The general manager steals from the company, lies to costumers, and blatantly doesn't care about anybody but himself. The regional manager doesn't have a spine to do anything to him. They tell you that there are advancement opportunities but with the manager there now, don't count on it. The current manager uses the company truck for his own personal use and doesn't let the outside sales person do their job because he is always gone in the truck. This affects the pay of the whole team. As said before, unless they do something about the store manager, this place is a joke!
Starting Point
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee), NCOctober 27, 2014
Resume Builder, always looking for recent college grads. The amount of work that the branch manager and staff have on their plate is ridiculous.
Fastenal Sales Support
Sales Support (Current Employee), Warrensburg, MOOctober 26, 2014
A typical day includes servicing existing clients with custom product and implementation solutions to fulfill their needs.
A typical day at work
Outside Salesman (Current Employee), Amherst, NYOctober 26, 2014
Pros: networking, always out on the road meeting new people and learning what different industry needs are.
Cons: constantly cutting back commision
Day starts out at 7:30 a.m. and we receive the truck into our system. After that we check all back orders and continue to our Invoice process. After we print the invoices we deliver the product to our customers. After all the deliveries have been delivered outside sales will make their sales calls. Sometimes we eat lunch at the store, sometimes it is out on the road. Overall it is a fun day on the road earning business.
nice job
Sales Support (Former Employee), Shelby TwpOctober 24, 2014
easy going. had a horrible regional manager. a lot of calling people and getting shot down.
Laid Back but with no room to move up
Sales Support (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INOctober 23, 2014
Pros: laid back
Cons: low pay, not enough hours, dm wasn't the best
Worked there about 8 months, couldn't even get moved up to full time. They wont let their part-timers work more then 29 hours a week. Didn't get paid enough for everything that I had to manage.
Leaders in Micro-Managing
Outside Sales (Former Employee), UTOctober 21, 2014
Cons: work your "a" off for nothing
Please do not apply at Fastenal, unless you have a screw loose!!This company definitely has a screw loose!

You are expected to work form 7 to 5 M-F and do not get paid overtime. The base salary is ok, but the commission they pay is a joke. They say you can make up to 5%, but with all the things they use to go against you or penalize you for not have 100% rank on the lame scorecard is mind blowing. I never did understand the way they "made up" your grade on the scorecard & never had it explained to me in a way it made sense.

If you want to get into management do not do it unless you are 5 ft. tall & have an ego bigger than Alaska. They do not respect your opinion and think they are always right. If you have a less productive sales month they really come down on you like you are going to be the cause of the company going out of business.
Uptempo work place with rising expectations.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Findlay, OHOctober 21, 2014
Typical day or work requires allocating products for customers. Arrive at 6:30am and unload the product brought by the company semi. Deliver the product once it has been sorted and packaged. Great experience of sales from a part-time standpoint. Hardest part of the job is learning all of the different parts and product that Fastenal offers. Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendly environment that the staff offers.
Enjoyable with something new everyday
General Manager (GM) (Former Employee), Chehalis, WAOctober 18, 2014
Pros: salary and my awesome customers
Cons: unskilled upper management that did'nt accept accountability.
A typical day: Meetings, sales, receiving product, researching product for customers.

Learned: a good sales person listens 80% and talks 20% of the time. I also had to learn how to be a manager first and to keep drama to simmer.

Management: learning to multi-task and delegate. Not easy but I learned how.
Co-workers: We were all like family and with that we made a great team!
Hardest part of job: Being a manager first and a friend last.

most enjoyable part: My customers made everyday a blast! My co-workers made work easy.
Productive workplace with full gym and showers
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Jessup, PAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: free usage of the gym that was threre
Cons: having to work late hours
A typical day at work would include working in spurts and organizing things before it is actually time to load the trucks so there is a little bit of free times in between but if you don't use it wisely to get yourself ready then it will be a long hard night. I learned a lot while I was there I learned how to drive and operate forklifts I learned the differences with cdl and non cdl trucks and how they can and have to be loaded differently as far as the amount of weight is concerned. Management here was very fun to work with as well as understanding of particular situations that may arise when at a workplace. Hardest part of the job was being timed and having a very short window of how much time you had to load a truck sometimes but not all the times was it like that. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you were finished and you printed that ltr and the report was empty meaning that you did not miss anything.
Work like a slave for little to no pay
Key Account Buyer/Planner (Former Employee), Langhorne, PAOctober 14, 2014
Commission structure changed frequently and you could never get accurate figures to allow you to calculate your commission
Bad pay Bad hours
Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee), Gilbert, AZOctober 13, 2014
Pay very little for working extra hours and generating leads.
Managemtn usually takes all good leads as their own
Stressful
General Manager SVTX (Former Employee), Stephenville, TXOctober 9, 2014
Loved the people I worked with, but upper management liked to micro-manage
Great sales education programs.
Construction Sales Manager (Current Employee), Akron, OHOctober 9, 2014
Pros: i travel enough to keep my job interesting.
Cons: some travel expenses come out of my pocket.
My day starts at 6:30 a.m. I spend half of my week covering and maintaining a large group of customers in the Ohio market. The other half of the week is spent putting together the next sales territory for the next sales specialist, currently Pittsburg. One day a week, I spend in my Akron office doing all of the paperwork that needs to be caught up on from the week. My day usually ends about 5p.m.

I have learned that it takes great drive and leadership to be successful in a sales position that gives you a lot of freedom. Sales is a position that will always pay a person on there worth.

The hardest part of my job, is all of the different personality dynamics. I can work with many different groups of people while landing a new potential customer. The list of people are as follows but not limited to the customer and their superiors; Fastenal, the outside sales person, store manager, district manager, and regional manager. Everyone in this group could have a different opinion as to how the account should be ran, and it is sometimes difficult to convey one message to so many different dynamics.

I love the freedom to be my own boss, and have a job that I am relied on to perform, but trusted to do it the way I think is best.
Good company
Picking and Packing (Former Employee), Winona, MNOctober 8, 2014
Same process during picking repeated over and over
Good people to work for
hard to climb in company
Good Experience but hard place to work
General Sales and Operations Manager (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCOctober 4, 2014
Days are longer than most jobs. Learned how to manage people effectively. The management is not great. My co-workers were hit and miss in the quality department. There were too many young kids out of college that didn't commit to a career with Fastenal. It was a revolving door of employees. The hardest part of the job was the pay. Best part was the team aspect.
Good Environment yet Unexperienced
Part Time Sales Support (Former Employee), Lebanon, INOctober 2, 2014
I believe what slowed me down at this job was the fact that I went in with no expectation and no real knowledge of what I was going to be doing from day to day. I believe I did the best I could with what I was given but I most certainly could have worked harder to learn the individual parts that we sold. I would say that was most certainly the hardest part of this job was that I had no real experience with nuts and bolts and things of that nature before I started, giving me nothing to go from. I enjoyed the environment I worked in and my co-workers were patient with me and helped whenever I needed it. Overtime I most certainly got better with knowing the parts and working more thoroughly.

About Fastenal

Some might say it has a screw loose, but things are¬†really pretty snug at Fastenal. The company operates¬†about 2,600 stores in – Read more