Fastenal

Fastenal Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very challenging yet rewarding
SALES MANAGER (Former Employee), Watford City, NDMarch 22, 2014
On any given day I would be placing sales orders for oil rig companies, delivering product to the companies waiting for them, taking new orders, and opening new accounts. My job was to sell product to oil rigs and I was in charge of up to 50 different accounts most of which I opened personally. The biggest challenge was staying organized. With so many – more... things to keep track of at once it proved challenging to keep it prioritized. – less
Fast-paced, deadline driven envirionment
National Accounts Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 19, 2014
Pros: listen to music while you work, fun co-workers, complexity of the business/department
Cons: confined to cubicle, short breaks, so-so compensation
A typical day at work involved heavy use of a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and other company software applications. Much of my time was spent in a cubicle with most of my human interaction being done via email or telephone. Unless I was involved with a colleague on a project or a customer/vendor was in the office, I could pretty much just keep to myself. – more... I learned several complexities of business during my time there. In distribution, there are several components that go into turning a profit for the company. Some of these components include the P.O.S. (point of sale) cost, effective and ethical markups, lead times for manufacturing and delivery, the Industrial supplies industry itself, and the human element that inevitably ties all areas of business together. The culture of the company was nice. My co-workers were easy to get along with and I never had any professional or personal problems with any of them. The management of the company was mediocre at best. Of course, as in most organizations, you have good managers and not so good managers. My direct supervisor was excellent in the way he went about managing my department, but the company was less than impressive when it came to effective communication and getting the necessary information to the right people in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job was being confined to a cubicle for up to 10 hours a day. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was learning the vast and complex industry and all the products involved, as well as the process of getting those products to the customer. I also enjoyed being able to listen to my music via headphones while I worked. – less
Great place for a career
General Manager (Former Employee), Summersville, WVMarch 18, 2014
My time with Fastenal was short but I loved working there. You get the opportunity to go out and talk to customers face to face and there is never a dull moment.
?
Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee), Wichita, KSMarch 17, 2014
they really need to look at their compensation structure. the main reason why I left there
Fun place to work
Inside Sales Associate (Former Employee), Seaford, DEMarch 16, 2014
Fun place to work. I often miss this job. We had fun everyday while keeping our customers happy.
awesome place
data entry (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 13, 2014
customer service
there is no hard part
the most enjoyable is team work
A great Learning experience for me.
General Manager (Former Employee), Bend ORMarch 13, 2014
Pros: great prices on power tools and fasteners.
Cons: lots of travel.
I worked my way from warehouse manager to general manager in just 3 years. I learned how to manage A warehouse and inventory control to maximize profits. I had great coworkers and sales people during my tenure. The most enjoyable part of this job was the customers weather inside or outside sales. The hardest part of the job was the travel.
Great flexibility
Account Specialist (Current Employee), Stillwater, OKMarch 12, 2014
Make own schedule
Create relationships
Can determine your commission by how motivated you are at selling
Nice if you like to be out and about each day.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Hayward, CAMarch 11, 2014
Pros: drive company truck, meeting with lots of great customers.
Cons: products doesn't always show up in a timely fashion to satisfy our customers.
This is a great job for being out in front of your customers on a daily basis. It's great to get to know the in's and out's of some large companies that everyone if familiar with.
Keeping customers happy through service is their motto.
Heavy lifting is involved as you delivery products to customers.
Fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Framingham, MAMarch 11, 2014
Pros: tons of product to sell.
Cons: 2 man locations are tough at times.
You really get to learn all the positions in running a small business. 5 days a week is a good. There are only two people at a location so that can be tough on logistical planning on days but if there is a will there is away.
Low-pay, take advantage of employees
Inside Sales manager (Former Employee), Toledo, OHMarch 5, 2014
Pros: nice work schedule-growing company
Cons: poor pay
I worked here for 3 years and by the end I was performing more task than my manager while getting paid a fourth of the salary
Started as Internship and am now Part Time while Full Time in School
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Farmingdale, NYMarch 4, 2014
8:30am-5:00pm on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday entail the following

- Inventory Redistribution
-Cycle Counts
-Answering the telephone and email
-Discussing business plans with co-workers
-quoting customers
-cold calling
-attending appointments and sales calls
A great place to learn and grow
Account Specialist (Current Employee), Portland, ORMarch 3, 2014
Fastenal offers employees opportunity to pave their own way and grow within the company.
DO NOT APPLY!!!
Picker (Current Employee), High Point, NCMarch 2, 2014
Pros: decent, flexible hours
Cons: no room for advancement
Worked in the warehouse for 2yrs. Tried to advance to an office position, but I had to wait I was "replace" in warehouse. So for the next 3 months, I would train for ONE HOUR in the office & then continue my regular in the warehouse. After 3 months......NO REPLACEMENT!!!
Interesting office/warehouse store.
Sales Support (Former Employee), Fontana, CAFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: good pay, decent hours.
Cons: shifts could start at 5 am some days.
This job included receiving inventory and assisting walk in customers in the warehouse portion, and contacting and emailing customers in the office part of the store. Good introduction into customer service work.
Alot of on the job training but little room for advancement.
Sales Support (Current Employee), Canton,OhioFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: hours
Cons: little to no room for advancement
A typical day at work involves a lot of customer service skills. The location I work at is a national account so a lot of resourcing of product and purchasing skills are required. I am in charge of our corporate credit card and must maintain all records in an organized fashion. I have learned a lot about business and the inner workings of the company – more... over the last three and a half years. Management is on premises and does help with any issues or conflicts that arise. Most of the coworkers are hard working but sometimes younger people are hired that have no ambition to go anywhere in the company and their job performance reflects such. The hardest part of the job is maintaining a balance in the myriad of duties that are required on a daily basis. Prioritizing is a huge must. The most enjoyable part of the job is the hours and having weekends off. – less
Overall good workplace
General Manager (Current Employee), Natchez, MsFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: steady employment, benefits
Cons: some personal philisophical differences in opinion.
This was my first step into an "office" invironment. I leaned a lot of valuable skills here.
Good start up job out of college
General Manager (Former Employee), Owensboro, KYFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: no experience needed, promotes from within only
Cons: low pay, pressure to sell with higher prices then most
Good first job, commission structure is bad, Management was poor, promotions are easy to come by, a lot of inexperienced help
good job just took advantage of employees
ups clerk/picker (Former Employee), Modesto, CAFebruary 24, 2014
this job would hire you as a part time employee but you would work full time hours
Not Impressed
Outside Sales Person (Former Employee), Pella, IowaFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: decent benefits
Cons: commission structure, poor management
Not impressed with this company. They pound their core values into their employees, yet the management does not play by the same rules and values. The store I worked in has a manager and employee that smoke inside the store, even though the company has a "NO TOBACCO" policy. The manager and warehouse manager gamble throughout the day by playing quarters, – more... rather than doing their jobs. I was wrongfully terminated from this company due to my disability. Benefits are decent, but not great. As an Outside Sales Person, you can expect to work 10 hours per day, on salary, M-F. The commission pay is less than standard to say the least. I would recommend working for a different company where the Core Values are followed and appreciated by all employees, from the bottom to the top executive. Your hard work is not appreciated here. – less

About Fastenal

Fastenal Co (NASDAQ: FAST) is an American company based in Winona, Minnesota. Selling industrial and construction supplies and – Read more