Fastenal

Fastenal Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good, solid company
Corporate Marketing Project Manager & Print Buyer (Former Employee), Winona, MNJune 28, 2014
Pros: flexible, creative
Cons: pay, decentralized decision making
Busy work environment, fast paced, individual decision making abilities. Hands-off management, supportive co-workers.
Decent starter company
Order Selector & Sorter (Former Employee), Modesto, CAJune 26, 2014
Pros: decent starting pay, weekends off, set schedule
Cons: little to no room for advancement, management was stationary
Picked & packaged orders based on a predetermined list
Management was decent, solved problems quickly
Rarely interacted with co-workers but they were all friendly
Weekends off
Good place to work as a student or for steady part time work
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 26, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: can be too hot or too cold in warehouse
Good place to work with good people. Management is fair and capable. Coworkers are nice motivated people there to get the job done.
NA
Machinist (Current Employee), Loves Park, ILJune 25, 2014
Nothing to report Typical Manufacturing job, work 4th shift
Inside Sales (Current Employee), Lindale, TxJune 19, 2014
Put up inventory and spend the day from 9-3 by myself. So day in and day out have to deal with walk in customers as well as our usual clients.
Positive Work / Life Balance
Product and Purchasing Support Specialist (Current Employee), Winona, MNJune 17, 2014
I have a flexible schedule that allows me to take care of my family needs.
Upper management is disconnected
Employee (Current Employee), USJune 17, 2014
Pros: freedom, training, hours
Cons: pay pay pay!!!! working conditions, micro management
I have been with the company going on 4 years. Let me start off by saying I really enjoy what I do. You get to meet with great customers and form strong relationships. You also learn a lot about running a business while working here.

The pay is a joke. As a manager I am expected to keep inventory down, call and collect on past due accounts, health – more... and safety training on a monthly basis, manage goals, accounting, and many other tasks.

The problem here is, we get paid less when our position requires more than the industry standard. Take a Grainger rep for example. Their salary is in the $55k a year range while Fastenal is around the $36k range. How often do you hear about a Grainger rep putting away stock? Stocking vending? Running out to a customer just because they need a part right away? They dont do this yet we get paid less than they do.

Also this is supposed to be done in a 20% of your time span, since you work 50 hours a week, you are supposed to only spend 12 hours a week in the store. They tell us that but your understaffed. By making you sign a paper agreeing to this they avoid having to pay overtime as all reps are considered outside sales employees.

The pay structure is even harder to follow. How can one store be much more profitable and get paid less than a less profitable store? Doesnt make a lot of sense. One store can do 45% margin while the other does 50% margin with half the sales and that store makes more commission.

While most companies in this industry run at a 40% margin we run at 50% yet we cant afford to pay our guys whats right. You will lose a lot of sales because the competitors know this. If your near a home depot or Grainger you will lose a lot because the company doesnt pay employees if its below 20% margin. So good luck on tools and you never know your true margin because Fastenal wont let you see it.

A lot more to go into but I will say this. If you are looking for a short term stepping stone to get your feet wet in the industrial indusrty, this is a good start. If your looking at a long term career. Go somewhere else. – less
Great for stock holders. Bad for the backbone of employees.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Evansville, INJune 11, 2014
Pros: decent benefits. decent paid time off.
Cons: very poor entry level pay
Decent benefits. Decent paid time off.

Want you to be a master of every thing. There is no delegation of jobs. Everyone must do every thing.

The management I deal with hires other managers that are great at sales. Many companies do this but it's like saying because someone is a great artist, they'll automatically be great at marketing, also.

Became – more... an expert in the threaded fasteners for industrial and construction supply.

Hardest part of the job was knowing your supervisors made double, triple, even quintuple of your pay and you did 98% of the work.

Unless one is at the District Manager level or higher, one is poorly compensated for one's efforts. The heart, sole, and foundation of this company comes through sales of the entry level sales position. And these entry level sales are poorly paid. The base pay hasn't increased in 10+ years. That would be fine if the commission schedule was reasonable, but 66+% is from base pay. This isn't an absolute rule and there are some exceptions. But because of inflation and the value of a dollar, the person in the same position 10 years ago was making a lot more money than the person, today. – less
Great place to work while in college!
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee), Wickliffe, OHJune 10, 2014
Moved up from part-time to OS quickly. Great company to work for. I wish they helped employees continue their MBA.
Fun place to work
Director of Sales (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 10, 2014
Fast pace job within a rapid growing environment, fun and rewarding.
Great place to learn the industrial sales trade.
Outside Sales Person (Former Employee), Chesterfield, MOJune 9, 2014
Pros: use of company vehicle for deliveries and sales calls.
Cons: out of town trip expenses are on you.
A typical day includes developing relationships with customers, you not only learn about their business, but their lives as well. You have to develop a close relationship with co-workers since there are only a 2-3 people who work at a store.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the customer by far.
Daily grind with poor management
Sales (Former Employee), Idaho Falls, IDJune 8, 2014
When construction is slow, so are the commissions. People work hard, but can be cut throat at times.
Great
In store and outside salesman of product (Current Employee), GreensburgJune 5, 2014
Great Customers and co-workers. Love going out to sell to customers. Love my customer relationship that walk in daily as well to get them the product they need and think they need. Find the products that they are not sure where they can find them or what it is that they are looking for.
Fun Co-workers little advancement
Sales Trainee (Current Employee), Charleston, ILJune 4, 2014
Pros: fun and fulfilling work enviroment
Cons: little advancement opportunity
This company claims to promote frequently inside of the company from what I have seen and heard they do not.
Not a long term job
Sales Support (Current Employee), Fond du Lac, WIJune 2, 2014
The hours are decent, but the pay is below average and there is little potential to move up.
Sales Support (Current Employee), Janesville, WIMay 29, 2014
Pros: great people and discounts
Cons: no benefits for part timers
Assist customers with needs, answer phones and direct to correct person, daily invoices, and stock shelves
Great company to get work experiance from
Branch and Sales Manager (Former Employee), Tualatin OREGONMay 29, 2014
Pros: relaxed atmosphere
Cons: constant corporate changing
Run and operated in a decentralized manor when I was working allowed a lot of flexibility and creativity to be successful. It was trying when hiring, training, selling, bookkeeping etc... was an everyday task. It was like running your own business in a lot of ways and over the time I was there the corporate culture started to change and become more – more... aggressive in sales growth, the turnover became substantial in both management and sales force. ''Hire and Promote'' became a theme losing sight of customer needs at times. The push to open more branches became priority and every business conversation started revolving around the investors. I enjoyed the challenges and fast paced world in this market, I would do it again considering the rewards of the business with customers. – less
Great Stepping stone
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee), Kenosha, WIMay 28, 2014
Pros: good entry level experience
Cons: inconsistent direction, high turnover, poor pay
A typical workday consists of receiving in the daily truck, pulling/packaging product, deliveries, stocking product, cycle counts, inventory redistributions.
You get what you put into it.
DOT Truck driver (Former Employee), Lakewood, WAMay 28, 2014
Pros: lots of money
Cons: negative people.
I was a truck driver for about 5 years. The pay was ok. Although it sucks if your new to the company. But you get tons of vacation 2 weeks after your first year. And three after 5. 10 you get a month. The Manager Pushed us To The limit. 70/8day week. I had to tell her not to call me to cover shifts after a while. She's gone now. The manager now is awesome – more... to work with. Super nice guy. You will drive out of state and pick up backhauls. You won't be home very much if you have some certain routes. But there are some that can be sweet runs. If you manage your time right. They have good benifits. If you work on the part time side...it's not so great. But it is what it is. A JOB. So if you work hard and don't complain all the time, check the website. You can advance quickly if your smart about it... IMO it's a great place to start a career. So get your CDL and you will make more than your boss. Trust me! – less
Wouldnt send Vladmir Putin to work here
General Manager (Former Employee), Denver, COMay 20, 2014
Pros: going home
Cons: going in
This company is a joke. The culture consists of a "do it or die" attitude with very little support. Most people are promoted because they landed one big contract and the previous guy quit to make more money somewhere else. They refuse to make it easy to sell.

About Fastenal

Some might say it has a screw loose, but things are¬†really pretty snug at Fastenal. The company operates¬†about 2,600 stores in – Read more