Fastenal

Fastenal Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Long hours, low pay, work truck
General Manager (Former Employee), Covington, TNJuly 7, 2014
Pros: work truck, time off
Cons: low pay, long hours
Long hours, low pay, work truck..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Good place to if you are willing to work hard
General Warehouse Laborer (Current Employee), Winona, MNJuly 4, 2014
Pros: compensates pretty well
Cons: certain jobs are rough on body
Great place for a high school or college student to work part time. For the most part you will be given one or two different jobs that you will do daily that are pretty easy to do. Most of the employees there are very friendly and outgoing.
Productive and friendly competition
Laborer and Picker (Former Employee), Modesto, CAJuly 2, 2014
Management and coworkers were extremely friendly and very competent. Management worked around my military schedule and even accommodated working extra hours in lieu of taking a day off. Greatest part of the job was when management posted how fast you picked; I liked seeing how many items I picked per hour.
Workplace is clean
General Warehouse (Former Employee), Winona, MNJune 30, 2014
Pros: the pay is well
Cons: some boxes can be pretty heavy
Fastenal is a good place to work if you want some experience in warehouse and assembly lines. The management is not bad and they give you plenty of breaks.
decent work environment
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), KSJune 28, 2014
it was a good place to work, but there management try to cheat you on raises and overtime pay. don't have consistent lunch breaks or breaks period for a full time job
Good, solid company
Corporate Marketing Project Manager & Print Buyer (Former Employee), Winona, MNJune 28, 2014
Pros: flexible, creative
Cons: pay, decentralized decision making
Busy work environment, fast paced, individual decision making abilities. Hands-off management, supportive co-workers.
Decent starter company
Order Selector & Sorter (Former Employee), Modesto, CAJune 26, 2014
Pros: decent starting pay, weekends off, set schedule
Cons: little to no room for advancement, management was stationary
Picked & packaged orders based on a predetermined list
Management was decent, solved problems quickly
Rarely interacted with co-workers but they were all friendly
Weekends off
Good place to work as a student or for steady part time work
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 26, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: can be too hot or too cold in warehouse
Good place to work with good people. Management is fair and capable. Coworkers are nice motivated people there to get the job done.
NA
Machinist (Current Employee), Loves Park, ILJune 25, 2014
Nothing to report Typical Manufacturing job, work 4th shift
Inside Sales (Current Employee), Lindale, TxJune 19, 2014
Put up inventory and spend the day from 9-3 by myself. So day in and day out have to deal with walk in customers as well as our usual clients.
Positive Work / Life Balance
Product and Purchasing Support Specialist (Current Employee), Winona, MNJune 17, 2014
I have a flexible schedule that allows me to take care of my family needs.
Upper management is disconnected
Employee (Current Employee), USJune 17, 2014
Pros: freedom, training, hours
Cons: pay pay pay!!!! working conditions, micro management
I have been with the company going on 4 years. Let me start off by saying I really enjoy what I do. You get to meet with great customers and form strong relationships. You also learn a lot about running a business while working here.

The pay is a joke. As a manager I am expected to keep inventory down, call and collect on past due accounts, health – more... and safety training on a monthly basis, manage goals, accounting, and many other tasks.

The problem here is, we get paid less when our position requires more than the industry standard. Take a Grainger rep for example. Their salary is in the $55k a year range while Fastenal is around the $36k range. How often do you hear about a Grainger rep putting away stock? Stocking vending? Running out to a customer just because they need a part right away? They dont do this yet we get paid less than they do.

Also this is supposed to be done in a 20% of your time span, since you work 50 hours a week, you are supposed to only spend 12 hours a week in the store. They tell us that but your understaffed. By making you sign a paper agreeing to this they avoid having to pay overtime as all reps are considered outside sales employees.

The pay structure is even harder to follow. How can one store be much more profitable and get paid less than a less profitable store? Doesnt make a lot of sense. One store can do 45% margin while the other does 50% margin with half the sales and that store makes more commission.

While most companies in this industry run at a 40% margin we run at 50% yet we cant afford to pay our guys whats right. You will lose a lot of sales because the competitors know this. If your near a home depot or Grainger you will lose a lot because the company doesnt pay employees if its below 20% margin. So good luck on tools and you never know your true margin because Fastenal wont let you see it.

A lot more to go into but I will say this. If you are looking for a short term stepping stone to get your feet wet in the industrial indusrty, this is a good start. If your looking at a long term career. Go somewhere else. – less
Great for stock holders. Bad for the backbone of employees.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Evansville, INJune 11, 2014
Pros: decent benefits. decent paid time off.
Cons: very poor entry level pay
Decent benefits. Decent paid time off.

Want you to be a master of every thing. There is no delegation of jobs. Everyone must do every thing.

The management I deal with hires other managers that are great at sales. Many companies do this but it's like saying because someone is a great artist, they'll automatically be great at marketing, also.

Became – more... an expert in the threaded fasteners for industrial and construction supply.

Hardest part of the job was knowing your supervisors made double, triple, even quintuple of your pay and you did 98% of the work.

Unless one is at the District Manager level or higher, one is poorly compensated for one's efforts. The heart, sole, and foundation of this company comes through sales of the entry level sales position. And these entry level sales are poorly paid. The base pay hasn't increased in 10+ years. That would be fine if the commission schedule was reasonable, but 66+% is from base pay. This isn't an absolute rule and there are some exceptions. But because of inflation and the value of a dollar, the person in the same position 10 years ago was making a lot more money than the person, today. – less
Great place to work while in college!
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee), Wickliffe, OHJune 10, 2014
Moved up from part-time to OS quickly. Great company to work for. I wish they helped employees continue their MBA.
Fun place to work
Director of Sales (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 10, 2014
Fast pace job within a rapid growing environment, fun and rewarding.
Great place to learn the industrial sales trade.
Outside Sales Person (Former Employee), Chesterfield, MOJune 9, 2014
Pros: use of company vehicle for deliveries and sales calls.
Cons: out of town trip expenses are on you.
A typical day includes developing relationships with customers, you not only learn about their business, but their lives as well. You have to develop a close relationship with co-workers since there are only a 2-3 people who work at a store.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the customer by far.
Daily grind with poor management
Sales (Former Employee), Idaho Falls, IDJune 8, 2014
When construction is slow, so are the commissions. People work hard, but can be cut throat at times.
Great
In store and outside salesman of product (Current Employee), GreensburgJune 5, 2014
Great Customers and co-workers. Love going out to sell to customers. Love my customer relationship that walk in daily as well to get them the product they need and think they need. Find the products that they are not sure where they can find them or what it is that they are looking for.
Fun Co-workers little advancement
Sales Trainee (Current Employee), Charleston, ILJune 4, 2014
Pros: fun and fulfilling work enviroment
Cons: little advancement opportunity
This company claims to promote frequently inside of the company from what I have seen and heard they do not.
Not a long term job
Sales Support (Current Employee), Fond du Lac, WIJune 2, 2014
The hours are decent, but the pay is below average and there is little potential to move up.

About Fastenal

Some might say it has a screw loose, but things are really pretty snug at Fastenal. The company operates about 2,600 stores in – Read more