Fastenal Employee Reviews

Cost Saving Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, ON17 March 2015
I worked her for 4 years learned a lot and met a lot of great people. I have a lot of experience and training from this company but am looking for a career
A company focused on Growth thru Customer Service
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 March 2015
Very Good Company for learning Industrial Products and Customer Service Values with Focus on Sales and Revenue Growth
Pros
Very Independent working Environment
Cons
Employee Retention
Good place to grow...
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB29 January 2015
Good place learn and grow. Under good store management advancement is fairly easy. Very open environment to learn and ask questions if desired. Salary may not be as expected but time and keen eye for opportunities, expected income will grow.
Great company
GOVERNMENT SALES MANAGER NATIONAL ACCOUNTS (Former Employee) –  Borden, ON20 January 2015
I loved working for Fastenal I would highly recommend it. Great managers and company values.
Great entry level position
Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 January 2015
For those looking to gain experience with industrial sales. Great entry level sales company. Amazing team to work with.
Good Work Environment
Sales (Current Employee) –  Mississauga,Ontario22 December 2014
It's a great place to work with excellent individuals. Team work is built on getting results and finding solutions effectively and the plans to progress the company have been good.
Great place to grow professionally
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QC10 November 2014
Most days consist of acquiring new business through cold calling potential customers, meeting with existing customers and growing their business, and managing internal store functions (ex. inventory, purchasing, customer relations.)

Each store team consists of usually a manager, sales representatives and internal warehouse associates. Upper levels of management are district managers, regional managers, and finance managers.

Hardest part of the job is continuously keeping up to speed with a quickly changing business environment with customer requirements that vary largely depending on the customer size.
fastenal driver review
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  orillia ontario26 October 2014
I was a Fastenal truck driver running northern Ontario for almost ten years and it was a great job until a fat funny eyed girl and a fat farmer took over as management and then it turned into a nightmare!!!! they don't care about your safety on the road as long as the product is delivered and if u are stuck in a snow storm in a day cab on the highway they laugh at u about it in a accidental text that happens to be for the pearly white hub manager but gets to u.........its a company that cares little about there drivers and lots about getting there bonus on there pay check so stay away!!!!!!! this company only cares about making themselves money and not about the employees so if u accept a job good luck to u! oh and if u contact the male traffic manager on a weekend or night time with issues hes drunk and doesn't care so your on your own!!
Pros
no pros
Cons
long hours, dispatcher claimes to have no reception for phone service at home, or shuts off cell so u cant contact him and if he does answer hes drunk and doesnt care
Great for a student or low level worker
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Kitchener2 October 2014
They are very flexible with school schedules as long as you maintain your weekly hours. This was a huge bonus as a student as I could choose my hours. Down side is there is not a lot of weekend work for some that may be an upside. Some "management" or "leads" are "bad"(indeed wouldn't let me use the word I wanted) and bark orders, you can literally hear them yelling from across the warehouse. In my opinion they should not have a job from the way they treat their employees and I did not even work for them. Other managers are great and friendly. Stay away from sortation!
Pros
Lots of hours available, flexible hours
Cons
bad morale, bad attitudes
Critical thinking/multitasking/management
OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE - GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB3 August 2014
Typical day at work was to make cold calls and bring a value added service to our customers.

It was a brand new company, and I was part of piloting the sales portion of the venture for northern Alberta.

I learned how to ask effective questions that allowed me to learn the specifics of a company so that I was prepared to make presentations if needed.

Management moves quickly due to quick turn around within store fronts and upper management. I had developed some great mentors during my time with the company

For the most part I had great experiences with coworkers both inside and outside of my branch. Finding the right employees is the most difficult part of developing any company.

The stress put on by only one individual made by multiple customers with limited assets like employees and logistics.

Developing relationships with customers that turned into great business partnerships.
Good company to work for with great work ethic
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Devils Lake, ND8 July 2014
I have worked in multiple roles in my short time with the company, 4 years. I have had success in every step I've taken due to hard work and helpful people around me who wanted me to succeed as well.
Learn a lot
Business Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Toronto4 July 2014
Your happiness is dependent on the type of manager you get. The manager is who trains you and helps you when you are having difficulties.
worst job yet
Sorter (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON2 July 2014
terrible experience
bad management
co-workers did nothing
Loved working here
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC15 June 2014
I enjoyed and valued my job. I learned a lot of new things and found it a great asset to my knowledge for future employment.
Pros
working with the public
Cons
not enough hours
Productive and Enjoyable
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON27 May 2014
Friendly co-workers. I always looked forward to going to work here. It was enjoyable to make daily deliveries to the many different customers around North Bay and surrounding areas.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Term of employment to short to comment
Industrial Supplies Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB14 May 2014
Each day new challenges were given related to sales to enable the office to reach their weekly/monthly/annual targets. Focus was sales but remembering to keep the place tidy and pleasing to the eye of the customer. Learned to use their inventory computer system, Point of Sale equipment and completed all of the company required training. Management and co-workers were approachable and helpful while I was learning. I enjoyed learning new ways to do things and gaining knowledge on the job.
Pros
Easy access to work from home
Cons
Short term employment - moved out of province
Great place to work and quality staff
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford BC14 March 2014
Amazing structure, excellent training protocol, established USA brand but great potential for growth in Canada. Helped establish new monthly sales record for local Fastenal branch. Always able to work on the store, displays and quotations. I learned how the planogram, re shelf, re procurement system worked, and was amazed at how much information was available for customer sourcing and service. Procurement for on time delivery a bit difficult without a Canadian distribution center to pull from. Liked the manager and outside sales department. Hardest part of the job was trying to do things the Fastenal Way, as opposed to previous procedures from other industrial companies I'd worked for. Recognition from corporate was excellent and District Management involvement helped us know what was coming up and what was going on.
Pros
Good pay structure and bonus platform
Cons
Local management more interested in advancement than growth as a team
Great company to work for- LOTS of room for advancement and encourage to promote from within
Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ontario7 March 2014
I have been at fastenal for 3 years, started out as sales support part time while in school, then after a year I was promoted to full time sales and have loved every moment of it.

The base salary is ok, but what you make your money is off of commission. If you do not have the right motivation or are not a peoples person or hate sales, Then I would suggest to NOT apply here. Fastenal is all about challenging your self EVERYDAY and if you dont have what it takes to succeed than you will not go far. Fastenal is not made for everybody but if you have the skills and determination I DO recommend working here, your co-workers are amazing and the relationships you build with customers are great and not to mention they have lots of great perks of working at fastenal. Ill keep those a surprise.

I bleed BLUE !
never work here
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2014
not a good company to work for. No Ethics in business. Just make the new employees work with out any benefits.
Pros
reduce your weight
Cons
no life or future
Not Just Fasteners
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2013
A company driven to succeed and open to entrepreneurial ideas, it's a place for young employees to start their sales career.