Fastenal

Fastenal Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Somewhat flexible
Warehouse Associate (Lead) (Former Employee), High Point, NCNovember 15, 2014
Somewhat flexible hours, work conditions sometimes unbearable as warehouse can get very hot in the summer or cold in the winter. Management is very pushy, and pay is low.
I fun place to work.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Puyallup, WANovember 13, 2014
I really enjoyed working for Fastenal. The people I worked with were a lot of fun and the environment was very productive and enjoyable. It was only a part-time job, but they treated me very well.
Worst place to work in the manufacturing department
Cnc machinist (Current Employee), Loves Park, ILNovember 12, 2014
Pros: you don't need any qualifications to get hired
Cons: pay, environment, management is uneducated, disfunctional.
If you want to advance it will not happen within this company. Always be early, work really really hard and you still won't get a raise.You can mess up 5000 parts(which I've seen)and only if your best friends(butt kisser) with the cnc manager will it be no harm done. The floor supervisor has a major drug problem, he will tell the manager employees are – more... looking for drugs, whenever he feels he is about to get in trouble, we just lost an employee because of this. He left for 2 hours while still clocked in to go pick up drugs, he told management his daughter was really sick and needed him. How could management really believe that? He also has burglary convictions from 2 years ago, so they obviously don't backround check. If you want a steady job with potiential to advance fastenal is not for you. – less
Review
Account Specialist (Current Employee), Ludington, MINovember 10, 2014
Fastenal was a very good job that was fun, had a fast paced environment, and my coworkers were very motivated to succeed.
outside sales position
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Bloomsburg, PANovember 9, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: long days
started off out of college with a great salary, however, I was burnt out very quickly because of the long work days. In general, sales is a very self-driven field. This company makes you work 7-5 every day. I was pushing hard for 50 hours a week, rarely taking a lunch. Couldn't do it forever. Great place to start though.
Good pay and easy growth
Key Account Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 8, 2014
Pros: big commission checks, office experience
Cons: 50 hour weeks
Fastenal is a good company to work for if you're young and looking to start a career. You don't need a college degree, and it helps your future tremendously. I left because I was transferred to a location with an unbearable manager. Overall, though, I loved working at Fastenal.
Fun work out and lunch
Sortation (Former Employee), Edwardsville, KSNovember 8, 2014
Pros: hour lunch break
Cons: pay rate
A typical day at fastenal would entitle scanning and carrying packages to the correct composite as they would come through the assembly line in a timely fashion . I also learned how to use RF scanners, pallet jacks, manual forklifts and propane forklifts. the staff and management were really nice and friendly so were co-workers. the hardest part was – more... when there wasnt enough work to do slow times. – less
Great place to work the weekend hours works great with my daily schedule.
Maintenance Person (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 6, 2014
Pros: great week end hours
Cons: would like more hours
Great place to work the weekend hours works great with my daily schedule.

Day to day maintenance on all type of power equipment.

Management provides the tools to get the job done and then lets you do the job.
Fastenal
General Manager (Former Employee), Yuma, azNovember 5, 2014
Pros: training
Cons: short breaks
It's a good fast pace and mutli-tasking , since you are in charge of the people and sales. Fastenal gives you good knowledge all the way around from account payables to customer services.
Sales-current employment
Inside/Outside Sales Associate (Former Employee), Burnham, PANovember 4, 2014
Dealing with customers coming through the door and also on the phone. Helping them find merchandise they need and also ordering merchandise that they need. Scheduling meetings and going on sales calls with new and current customers. Making sure merchandise is prepared to go to customer. Delivering merchandise to the customer and taking what order they – more... may need. Creating invoices and PO's for customer's when dealing with their account and billing. All in all, just trying to grow and make our company more successful every month by keeping our customers happy, obtaining the customers we have, and by growing with new customers. – less
Good place to gain experience, not to start a career.
Regional Sales Manager - FAST Solutions (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCNovember 4, 2014
Fastenal is a good company if you are looking for a "resume building" job out of college. They have such a high turnover rate that it makes it hard to build long term customer relationships. I gave Fastenal 6 years of my life starting as an internship and growing to Regional Sales Manager of their FAST Solutions program within 4 years.

After a few – more... organizational changes and a new boss, they decided they could no longer afford my position and let me go. I guess building the #2 region in the company as well as developing the #1 and #3 sales rep in the company isn't good enough for Fastenal.

DO NOT work for this company. They do not care about the well being of their employees or their customers.

I am happily taking my skills and knowledge to an organization who values their employees. – less
Independent Work Environment
Account Specialist (Current Employee), Farmingdale, NYNovember 4, 2014
Each branch is run as if it is its own company, giving employees freedom to handle individual accounts as they see fit. Each employee has the buying power and distribution resources of a major corporation while providing customers with personal, strong customer service.
Fast paced environment
Inside Sales Associate (Current Employee), Cambridge, MDNovember 3, 2014
Pros: good management, and training.
Cons: hard to move up in the company.
I start the day by receiving a daily shipment in. Then I put stock away. After that I take care of any orders that need to be placed. Throughout the rest of the day I will take care of customers, phone calls, and take deliveries to customers.
This is an interesting and fast pace place to work.
Quoter/ Inside Sales (Former Employee), Winona, MNOctober 30, 2014
Pros: good pay, benefits, no overtime
Cons: management, lacking in communication, very difficult to get straight answers
I learned many new skills. Some skills I learned were: customer service, telecommunications and advanced multitasking. I enjoyed the people I worked with very much.
Dynamic Learning Enviroment
General Manager (Current Employee), Summerville, SCOctober 29, 2014
Pros: descision making abilities
Cons: pay
Good place to work. Everyday is different from the last with new challenges presenting themselves constantly. As a Branch Manager, I am given complete responsibility for the business unit and ability to control it like it is my own small business.

Responsibilities include: Employee Management/Training, Inside/Outside Sales, Purchasing, Inventory Management, – more... Collections

The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable part of the job, complete responsibility for all aspects of the business

I enjoyed training employees and seeing them get promoted from the skilled they gained while working with me – less
A leading company in Industerial sales
General Manager (GM)- Buyer, Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee), VTOctober 29, 2014
Pros: advancement
Cons: too much turn over
Good company to work for if you are just starting out in Sales
Don't waste your time!!
Outside Sales (Former Employee), Kerrville, TXOctober 29, 2014
Cons: management, you have to pay for your uniforms
This company is a joke. The general manager steals from the company, lies to costumers, and blatantly doesn't care about anybody but himself. The regional manager doesn't have a spine to do anything to him. They tell you that there are advancement opportunities but with the manager there now, don't count on it. The current manager uses the company truck – more... for his own personal use and doesn't let the outside sales person do their job because he is always gone in the truck. This affects the pay of the whole team. As said before, unless they do something about the store manager, this place is a joke! – less
Starting Point
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee), NCOctober 27, 2014
Resume Builder, always looking for recent college grads. The amount of work that the branch manager and staff have on their plate is ridiculous.
Fastenal Sales Support
Sales Support (Current Employee), Warrensburg, MOOctober 26, 2014
A typical day includes servicing existing clients with custom product and implementation solutions to fulfill their needs.
A typical day at work
Outside Salesman (Current Employee), Amherst, NYOctober 26, 2014
Pros: networking, always out on the road meeting new people and learning what different industry needs are.
Cons: constantly cutting back commision
Day starts out at 7:30 a.m. and we receive the truck into our system. After that we check all back orders and continue to our Invoice process. After we print the invoices we deliver the product to our customers. After all the deliveries have been delivered outside sales will make their sales calls. Sometimes we eat lunch at the store, sometimes it is – more... out on the road. Overall it is a fun day on the road earning business. – less

About Fastenal

Some might say it has a screw loose, but things are¬†really pretty snug at Fastenal. The company operates¬†about 2,600 stores in – Read more