Fastenal

Fastenal Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good Advancement opportunities but you better be prepared to take on a ton of work.
General Manager (Former Employee), Montgomery, ALJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: advancement opportunities
Cons: they run their locations on minimal amount of employees
Fastenal is an overall good company to work for. They pay you for your performance. If you get more sales, then you get more money. They provide the tools needed to get the job done, but they push you as far as they can. Enough is never enough. They run on as few amount of employees as possible. Often times this leads to you being overworked or sales decreasing.
Great place to get feet wet in the industrial sales world
Sales Support (Current Employee), Absecon, NJJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: pay could always be better just like everywhere
Bosses are very easy to work with and are truly there to help you in anyway. Branch was somewhat short staffed so you get thrown right into the mix and is a great way to learn from the bottom up of a company. I enjoy working in the Industrial Supply field and see an opportunity to make good money as a salesman in the industrial supply field so Fastenal is a good place for me to get my feet wet.
Great for a full time student to get experience and money
Sales Associate (Current Employee), 2370 NW St Helens Rd Portland, OR 97210January 5, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, forklift training, friendly coworkers
Cons: not much pay compared to alternatives
Everyone I worked with was really cool. The hours were decently flexible and the manager was very understanding of the school/work balance. Got hired with little to no experience in the industry. Would definitely recommend to other students looking for cash/experience.
A company that moved me around for 8 years
School of Business Field Instructor (Former Employee), Modesto, CAJanuary 5, 2015
I learned and grew a lot as an individual during my tenure at Fastenal. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I worked, there was no opportunity for upward growth. I was promoted several times and moved from position to position, which allowed me to develop new skills in a variety of business areas and departments. Sadly, the work that was put into the business was not supplemented with balanced compensation.

A typical day at work varied in each position I held throughout my tenure. I enjoyed working at the local stores, providing customers with exceptional customer service and having the flexibility to merchandise inventory to attract the market. I also enjoyed the opportunity to train sales professionals and managers with skills that helped them grow their sales.

The most challenging aspect of working for Fastenal is the feeling of being under-appreciated and under paid. With the company being based in Minnesota, the cost of living is significantly less than it is in the west coast. There seemed to be no balance with the average market value for employees on the west coast. There was no satisfaction felt from day-to-day accomplishments due to a lack of recognition and deserved compensation.
A Great Place for a Career not a J.O.B.
Sales Manager/General Manager (Current Employee), City in Texas, TexasJanuary 4, 2015
Fastenal is a place where you can come to work every day and compile your successes year over year and see the financial payoff for the hard work your put into it.

You will put in the Hard Work before you see the payoff but those who choose to make it a career choice will see the payoff and it is well worth the wait.
Sales Support/Accounts Rep (Current Employee), Lancaster, OHJanuary 2, 2015
Love everything about the company except the inability to hire full time employees when needed.
on your own
General Manager (Current Employee), Oralndo, FLJanuary 2, 2015
This job is about sales. You have to be motivated everyday to go out and sell. I have learned hoe to communicate with business owners is a professional manner in any setting and have related our products to their business.
Out-of-touch Corporate Company
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee), New Iberia, LADecember 23, 2014
Fastenal attempts to use an overall strategy and apply it to all locations/industries it conducts business in. They provide training that attempts to convince their workers of their values rather than create values that employees would be proud to own.
Decent work environment and provided many courses to further expirience
Outside Sales (Former Employee), Clackamas, ORDecember 19, 2014
Pros: lots of training, and work vehicle provided.
Cons: 65 hour workweeks (which is fine unless its every week) and way to much middle management.
Fastenal is a large company with many positives. I always said Fastenal promoted to ineptness. Sales and Management do not always go together and very often a store manager would get fired or quit and a far to young and brand new sales rep would step in. My 6years at Fastenal taught me a lot but as an outside sales rep, my last 2 years there kept me in a branch haggling over miniscule problems and I went weeks sometimes without making sales calls. Though I maintain a relationship with a number of people who were coworkers and past managers after 6 years it was time to move on to somebody who wanted a sales rep and not a counter worker.
Fun fast paced work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Morris,ILDecember 17, 2014
I like working for Fastenal because of the fast paced work and getting to meet and develop relationships customers
Sales
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee), Wabash, INDecember 17, 2014
Pros: good benifits
Cons: hard to advance
Going out and trying to get new business and taking care of the business that you already have.
Delivery to work sites and put together bolt packets.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Coldwater, MIDecember 17, 2014
I would put bolt packs together for a company. I would get orders ready for delivery and take them to the delivery site. Help with customers when they came in to the store.
Good stepping stone to career
General Manager (Former Employee), Holly Hill, SCDecember 15, 2014
Good starting job, some cultural issues and long work days, however, pay was commiserate with performance.
Great environment if your goal oriented
General Manager, sales lead (Former Employee), Sparta, ILDecember 13, 2014
Pros: decentralized decision making
Cons: pushed too many incentives at once
I started my sales career at Fastenal and was able to identify my strengths and weakness' and they were willing to help me in any way I could. I left Fastenal with a sharpened skill set that set me up to take on any sales role I wanted.
Do Not have Fastenal on your resume
Employee (Former Employee), Little Chute, WIDecember 11, 2014
Pros: the day you leave
Cons: pay, hours, management, resources, inventory, you name it
They are looking for slave labor, cut pay every year since went public while upper management pays themselves excessively. Every thing is micro-managed, no way to run own business as claimed. Goals are unrealistic, efforts are never good enough, will never let you succeed, always will have the whip at your back. Inventory does not fit your market, massive buying mistakes by corporate has left product that does not sell on shelves for decades. Stores are understaffed so everyone is doing the work part-timers should be doing, while they want part-timers doing full time work. This all means that you, your scanty commissions and your customers suffer while management accepts no responsibility.
Positive work atmosphere
FAST SOLUTIONS INSTALLER (Current Employee), Jessup, PADecember 9, 2014
Pros: helpful management, fast paced
Cons: inadequate compensation, lack of advancement
With a year of experience as a Fast Solutions installer it can be said that the management is always willing to help and cares about the staff under him/her. The work atmosphere is fast paced and positive. The only downside is the lack of upward movement and inadequate compensation for work performed.
Good place to start a career
General Manager (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKDecember 8, 2014
Pros: personal satisfaction
Cons: change in focus every couple months
Fastenal has taught me more than any other job could have. I have the ability to run my own business with the back bone of a huge billion dollar company. I will forever thank Fastenal for giving me the opportunity to learn and grow my sales career. I would highly suggest Fastenal to anyone who wants to learn to sell and develop a business. Fastenal has the training, tools, and resources available to be successful for anyone who has the determination to achieve personal and financial goals. Working for Fastenal I realized quickly you get what you put into this job and it is not a good career for lazy individuals who have no drive. Fastenal is a place where your work is never done, and you always have a reason to wake up and come to work the next day. I love this job, its not the best, or the highest paying, but most rewarding. Knowing I did it for myself, and no one gave it to me is one of the best feelings I get from this career.
Great part time job.
Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 8, 2014
Good place to work if you're looking for part time employment. Advancement opportunities are plenty, constant turnover due to 90 percent part time staff.
Great bonuses, fun job
Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee), Mills, WYDecember 7, 2014
Pros: great money
Cons: long hours, very unflexible
This job was a great experience. The hours were very long and rare days off. It was very hard to juggle work and being a single mom with this job. Work was expected to always come before everything else, which made it hard to stay working there with children.
i dont recommend it
Shipper (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 7, 2014
its hot, turn over rate is really high, and management is weak. I seen people advance then a month later get fired or demoted back. its not a place to look for a career thats for sure. if they do offer you a full time spot expect to work 12 hr days

About Fastenal

Some might say it has a screw loose, but things are¬†really pretty snug at Fastenal. The company operates¬†about 2,600 stores in – Read more