Fastenal Employee Reviews

Laid back environment
Inside Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 July 2013
- Creating POs, assisting walk-in customers, handling customer calls as well as vendor calls.
- I have learned to multi-task and still be efficient
never work here
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2014
not a good company to work for. No Ethics in business. Just make the new employees work with out any benefits.
Pros
reduce your weight
Cons
no life or future
Learn a lot
Business Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Toronto4 July 2014
Your happiness is dependent on the type of manager you get. The manager is who trains you and helps you when you are having difficulties.
Not Just Fasteners
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2013
A company driven to succeed and open to entrepreneurial ideas, it's a place for young employees to start their sales career.
fun place to work at. friendly management.
Office and Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON30 May 2012
started as co op for high school. Great staff to work with. Relaxed inviroment.
Pros
pany car, travel
fun place
Traffic Assistant (Former Employee) –  kitchener23 June 2012
picking orders

material handling

shipping receiving

traffic dept assistant
Pros
cool work crew
Cons
no benefits
worst job yet
Sorter (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON2 July 2014
terrible experience
bad management
co-workers did nothing
Not the best!
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 January 2013
Worked for Fastenal for a little over a year.

At first the work was fine. Fast paced, great people to work with. They did have high expectations but as a new employee you learn to love it and hope that working towards these goals will bring some benefit.

Well, trust me, when it comes to this company that's not the case. I was told going in there that as long as we managed to meet certain criteria we would always get a bonus every month. (Was told it worked out to about another dollar an hour. Take whatever you can get when they only pay you 10.50 an hour.) They never gave us that, never once. Even though I know for a fact we all did the work they asked of us.

After about two months I was trained on the forklifts, told I would get a raise for that to. Nope.

I mean, don't get me wrong here. If you want to meet some decent people, (besides the management who seem to have this "I'm better than you in every way" attitude) it's a pretty decent place. But if you're looking to advance at all in the company this place isn't for you. They have an incredibly high turnover rate for one, the management is disgusting as I said before, the pay is horrible compared to other warehouse jobs in the area, you wont get raises and if you do please tell me because I know people who have worked there for years and didn't get anything.

At least you can put it on your resume?

My advice, go work for McDonalds. It will look better on your Resume in the end anyways. If you are going to work at Fastenal though, ignore the goals because what they tell you and what actually happens are two COMPLETELY
  more... different things.  less
Pros
flexible working hours, some pretty awesome people work with you
Cons
pretty tough work for low pay, no room for advancement, terrible management, empty promises
Small Parts packaging, and moving boxes galore
Sortation, Receiving, Picking (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 May 2015
The workers there are friendly if you're on the morning crew. The managers are some of the best I've ever experienced. You start at $12/hour, and a 25 cent raise hits every 6 months. You will either be placed in Picking, Sortation, Shipping or Receiving. Picking you work at a computer scanning boxes, taking out parts, packaging them, and then readjusting numbers. The parts are sent down a large convey system which eventually gets down to sortation line. Which is extremely buggy, and sometimes eats the boxes, or gets jammed. As a sortation worker; you have to pick up said boxes and place them in large totes, scanning them and then the totes. Occasionally, you will have to unjam boxes, or tape boxes back together if they got eaten. Most of the parts are metal and will not break, but some products are fragile, and have to be placed in special locations. As a shipper you will most likely be operating a forklift. You will be unloading trucks, making sure sortation has all the skids they need, and scanning skids to locations. As a receiving employee you take boxes from skids, scan them into the system(need to learn software), and put them down the convey to go into the system for pickers to use. This part of the job is still not refined, and needs a very careful attention to details. If you generally do not care about your work ethic, please don't apply for a receiver position you will only make their job worse.
Everything "should" be scanned to a location, that's the bonus of this job. But occasionally, if you're lead of receiving you will have to hunt down a box that was either
  more... mislabeled, incorrectly scanned, or generally put in the wrong place by someone not paying attention. In my time with Fastenal there was no greater pain than to watch the lead of receiving hunting down boxes that should have just been scanned correctly and put in their proper place.
The lunch room looks awesome. There are lockers if you need them. 2 fridges. Large bathrooms, and separate one with a shower that locks.
Pros
Great team, great managers, everything scanned = no need for constant inventory
Cons
Unless you have credentials and friends higher up you're not going up
environement stimulant, competitif et respectueux
Représentante aux ventes sur la route (Current Employee) –  Granby, QC20 April 2016
Super compagnie, seulement trop d'heure a faire par semaine et je n'y arrive pas a 45H+ par semaine avec 4 mousses
Pros
asurance collective debile
Cons
trop d'heure
Bonne Expérience de travail
Directeur de succursale (Former Employee) –  Sorel-Tracy, QC29 April 2016
-Développement de compétences en gestion et leadership
-Développement de solutions d'affaire orientées client.
Pros
Apprendre par essai-erreur
Cons
Salaire
Environnement de travail
Warehouse manager (Current Employee) –  Lasalle, QC7 December 2013
Entreprise qui oblige à devenir autonome
Journée de travail ressemble à:
Repondre aux téléphone
Prendre les commandes
Préparer les livraisons
Remplir les machines distributrices

Aspect le plus difficile:
Presque aucune possibilité d'avacement

Aspect le plus agréable:
On gère son temps, on planifie sa journée comme on le veut
Pros
Développe l'autonomie
Cons
Aucune possibilité d'avancement