Fastenal Employee Reviews

Untrained Management = Poor Experiences
Former Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta31 January 2013
Just starting out in B2B Sales? Then use this company for your personal benefit short term. The initial training that you will receive is great from trained educators. I would recommend the training for anyone as the instructors live their values. Now for the dark side of the equation. They training is inconsistent with the feet on the ground, meaning management. I am not referring to branch management, as they are only glorified sales people with extra duties to perform. I am referring to management above that level. Looked upon to be proficient communicator the fail hard and lead by this poor example. Much more of a high-school environment than a professional organization. Once you have cut your teeth and trained a bit then pursue another company. Smoke and mirror promises are going to come your way but pay them no mind as upper management are on strict budget and cant afford the promises they offer. Its the Walmart of Industrial Supply my friends.
Pros
good trainers in hq
Not the best!
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 January 2013
Worked for Fastenal for a little over a year.

At first the work was fine. Fast paced, great people to work with. They did have high expectations but as a new employee you learn to love it and hope that working towards these goals will bring some benefit.

Well, trust me, when it comes to this company that's not the case. I was told going in there that as long as we managed to meet certain criteria we would always get a bonus every month. (Was told it worked out to about another dollar an hour. Take whatever you can get when they only pay you 10.50 an hour.) They never gave us that, never once. Even though I know for a fact we all did the work they asked of us.

After about two months I was trained on the forklifts, told I would get a raise for that to. Nope.

I mean, don't get me wrong here. If you want to meet some decent people, (besides the management who seem to have this "I'm better than you in every way" attitude) it's a pretty decent place. But if you're looking to advance at all in the company this place isn't for you. They have an incredibly high turnover rate for one, the management is disgusting as I said before, the pay is horrible compared to other warehouse jobs in the area, you wont get raises and if you do please tell me because I know people who have worked there for years and didn't get anything.

At least you can put it on your resume?

My advice, go work for McDonalds. It will look better on your Resume in the end anyways. If you are going to work at Fastenal though, ignore the goals because what they tell you and what actually happens are two COMPLETELY
  more... different things.  less
Pros
flexible working hours, some pretty awesome people work with you
Cons
pretty tough work for low pay, no room for advancement, terrible management, empty promises
Bad Company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  US and Canada8 January 2013
First they promise you the world then take it away. when they expect you to hit sales goals when you are the only one working in the branch its hard to get out to your customers. And their hiring process is dumb taking a test the even a two year could barely do , as the GM I had to pre interview potential people which is not allowed by the company then take the test for them
Great workplace amazing team work
Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON2 August 2012
A typical day, is constant phone calls, e-mails, faxes ECT. Visiting onsite with customers promoting your products and your services that are available. I've learned all different sourcing, how to properly communicate with customers and pin point their needs for their specific jobs in order. My co-workers are amazing, we have a great small team inside. Overall through out the whole company everyone is great and we all work together to help each other stride to do great and advance in the company.
Pros
having all the resources of gaining more knowledge of the product.
Typical Day
Industrial Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON17 July 2012
Come in to the offic at 9.

Start picking orders for delivery, load deliveries, deliver them to clients.

Have lunch, sit at desk and take orders, and perform administrative and customer service duties
Pros
good work place environment
Cons
pay could be better
fun place
Traffic Assistant (Former Employee) –  kitchener23 June 2012
picking orders

material handling

shipping receiving

traffic dept assistant
Pros
cool work crew
Cons
no benefits
fun place to work at. friendly management.
Office and Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON30 May 2012
started as co op for high school. Great staff to work with. Relaxed inviroment.
Pros
pany car, travel
Bonne Expérience de travail
Directeur de succursale (Former Employee) –  Sorel-Tracy, QC29 April 2016
-Développement de compétences en gestion et leadership
-Développement de solutions d'affaire orientées client.
Pros
Apprendre par essai-erreur
Cons
Salaire
environement stimulant, competitif et respectueux
Représentante aux ventes sur la route (Current Employee) –  Granby, QC20 April 2016
Super compagnie, seulement trop d'heure a faire par semaine et je n'y arrive pas a 45H+ par semaine avec 4 mousses
Pros
asurance collective debile
Cons
trop d'heure
Environnement de travail
Warehouse manager (Current Employee) –  Lasalle, QC7 December 2013
Entreprise qui oblige à devenir autonome
Journée de travail ressemble à:
Repondre aux téléphone
Prendre les commandes
Préparer les livraisons
Remplir les machines distributrices

Aspect le plus difficile:
Presque aucune possibilité d'avacement

Aspect le plus agréable:
On gère son temps, on planifie sa journée comme on le veut
Pros
Développe l'autonomie
Cons
Aucune possibilité d'avancement