Fastenal

Fastenal Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun place
Traffic Assistant (Former Employee), kitchenerJune 23, 2012
Pros: cool work crew
Cons: no benefits
picking orders

material handling

shipping receiving

traffic dept assistant
fun place to work at. friendly management.
Office and Warehouse Manager (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONMay 30, 2012
Pros: pany car, travel
started as co op for high school. Great staff to work with. Relaxed inviroment.
Good stepping stone to career
General Manager (Former Employee), Holly Hill, SCDecember 15, 2014
Good starting job, some cultural issues and long work days, however, pay was commiserate with performance.
Great environment if your goal oriented
General Manager, sales lead (Former Employee), Sparta, ILDecember 13, 2014
Pros: decentralized decision making
Cons: pushed too many incentives at once
I started my sales career at Fastenal and was able to identify my strengths and weakness' and they were willing to help me in any way I could. I left Fastenal with a sharpened skill set that set me up to take on any sales role I wanted.
Do Not have Fastenal on your resume
Employee (Former Employee), Little Chute, WIDecember 11, 2014
Pros: the day you leave
Cons: pay, hours, management, resources, inventory, you name it
They are looking for slave labor, cut pay every year since went public while upper management pays themselves excessively. Every thing is micro-managed, no way to run own business as claimed. Goals are unrealistic, efforts are never good enough, will never let you succeed, always will have the whip at your back. Inventory does not fit your market, massive – more... buying mistakes by corporate has left product that does not sell on shelves for decades. Stores are understaffed so everyone is doing the work part-timers should be doing, while they want part-timers doing full time work. This all means that you, your scanty commissions and your customers suffer while management accepts no responsibility. – less
Positive work atmosphere
FAST SOLUTIONS INSTALLER (Current Employee), Jessup, PADecember 9, 2014
Pros: helpful management, fast paced
Cons: inadequate compensation, lack of advancement
With a year of experience as a Fast Solutions installer it can be said that the management is always willing to help and cares about the staff under him/her. The work atmosphere is fast paced and positive. The only downside is the lack of upward movement and inadequate compensation for work performed.
Good place to start a career
General Manager (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKDecember 8, 2014
Pros: personal satisfaction
Cons: change in focus every couple months
Fastenal has taught me more than any other job could have. I have the ability to run my own business with the back bone of a huge billion dollar company. I will forever thank Fastenal for giving me the opportunity to learn and grow my sales career. I would highly suggest Fastenal to anyone who wants to learn to sell and develop a business. Fastenal – more... has the training, tools, and resources available to be successful for anyone who has the determination to achieve personal and financial goals. Working for Fastenal I realized quickly you get what you put into this job and it is not a good career for lazy individuals who have no drive. Fastenal is a place where your work is never done, and you always have a reason to wake up and come to work the next day. I love this job, its not the best, or the highest paying, but most rewarding. Knowing I did it for myself, and no one gave it to me is one of the best feelings I get from this career. – less
Great part time job.
Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 8, 2014
Good place to work if you're looking for part time employment. Advancement opportunities are plenty, constant turnover due to 90 percent part time staff.
Great bonuses, fun job
Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee), Mills, WYDecember 7, 2014
Pros: great money
Cons: long hours, very unflexible
This job was a great experience. The hours were very long and rare days off. It was very hard to juggle work and being a single mom with this job. Work was expected to always come before everything else, which made it hard to stay working there with children.
i dont recommend it
Shipper (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 7, 2014
its hot, turn over rate is really high, and management is weak. I seen people advance then a month later get fired or demoted back. its not a place to look for a career thats for sure. if they do offer you a full time spot expect to work 12 hr days
My boss is easy to work for and everyone at the company gets along
Sales Trainee/Inside Sales (Current Employee), Greensburg, PADecember 3, 2014
Pros: great overall business experience
Cons: low wages
Typically, I start work at 7:30am. I have a wide variety of tasks. Around 7:35 I receive in a truck (sometimes a van) of product that needs to be put into our inventory system. The product is then transferred to its proper location in the store. This takes anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour.

After this, I will check my e-mails, and then keep tabs on – more... it for the entirety of my shift. (I usually get off around 4-5 pm)

A day or two out of the week I make small deliveries to our customers (if needed) and I see if they need anything else. Also, I present to them different products, suggestions, etc. of ways they could improve their efficiency by using Fastenal. If i'm not doing this, I help our outside salesman load the trucks and load their trucks. This process requires accuracy and timeliness.

Throughout the entirety of the day, I answer phone calls from all sorts of people, from both known customers as well as 'walk ins'. These phone calls can be a minute to 30 minutes, depending on what the customer needs. This is good customer service experience.

Also, throughout the day, I have the responsibility of greeting and helping walk in customers that come into our store. This is great sales experience for me.

I have also gained valuable experiencing from stocking vending machines, ordering products from Vendors, and I have learned how important customer service really is.

Overall, Fastenal has gifted me with the knowledge of ides, as mentioned above, that I would otherwise not have known. My business IQ has greatly increased while working for Fastenal. – less
Great Place for Hard Workers
Part-Time Sales (Current Employee), North Canton, OHNovember 30, 2014
Pros: flexibility of schedule
From the time you arrive to the time you leave, there is always something to do. It is good work in a great environment but can feel overwhelming or monotonous if you are not passionate about the product.
Good place to work in college
Order Picker (Current Employee), Denton, TXNovember 30, 2014
Pros: nike water bottle
Cons: standing all day
If you need a part time job to get some money, they are an awesome company to work with. They will help fit to your schedule so that you don't have worry about that. You use a computer to fill orders that are sent to you.
Ok place to work
Sales Trainee (Current Employee), Springfield, OHNovember 29, 2014
Pros: job security as part time
Cons: no opportunity for advancement
I have been with the company for 6 months with a bachelors degree in management. I was hired on expecting to move into full time sales. So far I have been on one sales call and have had 0 training in Sales. Everything that part time employees do is inventory management and some account management.

A typical day is approximately 8-10 hours.
I have learned – more... how to improve inventory management and operate the basic functions of their software. I have also completed product training.

The hardest part of the job is working with co-workers who have seniority. The vulgarity of their speech and humor has been more than degrading, and management refuses to acknowledge it.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and helping them solve problems. – less
good time
Sales Associate/Account Manager (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 24, 2014
It was a good time. I have nothing bad to say. Youll learn alot about business but you wont get paid alot to do it.
Long Days
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee), Lees Summit, MONovember 24, 2014
Pros: make your own way
Fine company for young go getters. Hours are long. High turn over.
Outside Sales
Outside Sales (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARNovember 19, 2014
Outside business to business sales.
Millions of products represented.
Customer relationships.
Somewhat flexible
Warehouse Associate (Lead) (Former Employee), High Point, NCNovember 15, 2014
Somewhat flexible hours, work conditions sometimes unbearable as warehouse can get very hot in the summer or cold in the winter. Management is very pushy, and pay is low.
I fun place to work.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Puyallup, WANovember 13, 2014
I really enjoyed working for Fastenal. The people I worked with were a lot of fun and the environment was very productive and enjoyable. It was only a part-time job, but they treated me very well.
Worst place to work in the manufacturing department
Cnc machinist (Current Employee), Loves Park, ILNovember 12, 2014
Pros: you don't need any qualifications to get hired
Cons: pay, environment, management is uneducated, disfunctional.
If you want to advance it will not happen within this company. Always be early, work really really hard and you still won't get a raise.You can mess up 5000 parts(which I've seen)and only if your best friends(butt kisser) with the cnc manager will it be no harm done. The floor supervisor has a major drug problem, he will tell the manager employees are – more... looking for drugs, whenever he feels he is about to get in trouble, we just lost an employee because of this. He left for 2 hours while still clocked in to go pick up drugs, he told management his daughter was really sick and needed him. How could management really believe that? He also has burglary convictions from 2 years ago, so they obviously don't backround check. If you want a steady job with potiential to advance fastenal is not for you. – less