Fastenal Employee Reviews in Canada

Challenging Target Oriented
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCOctober 6, 2015
It is a fast pace, target oriented working environment.
There is freedom to draw your plans and daily routine in order to meet sales goals.
never work here
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2014
not a good company to work for. No Ethics in business. Just make the new employees work with out any benefits.
Pros
reduce your weight
Cons
no life or future
fun and busy
In-Store Manager June (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABOctober 2, 2015
shipping/receiving, quotes, customer communication, ordering parts,
filing, answering phones
very busy managing store
calling vendors
Not the best!
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 21, 2013
Worked for Fastenal for a little over a year.

At first the work was fine. Fast paced, great people to work with. They did have high expectations but as a new employee you learn to love it and hope that working towards these goals will bring some benefit.

Well, trust me, when it comes to this company that's not the case. I was told going in there that as long as we managed to meet certain criteria we would always get a bonus every month. (Was told it worked out to about another dollar an hour. Take whatever you can get when they only pay you 10.50 an hour.) They never gave us that, never once. Even though I know for a fact we all did the work they asked of us.

After about two months I was trained on the forklifts, told I would get a raise for that to. Nope.

I mean, don't get me wrong here. If you want to meet some decent people, (besides the management who seem to have this "I'm better than you in every way" attitude) it's a pretty decent place. But if you're looking to advance at all in the company this place isn't for you. They have an incredibly high turnover rate for one, the management is disgusting as I said before, the pay is horrible compared to other warehouse jobs in the area, you wont get raises and if you do please tell me because I know people who have worked there for years and didn't get anything.

At least you can put it on your resume?

My advice, go work for McDonalds. It will look better on your Resume in the end anyways. If you are going to work at Fastenal though, ignore the goals because what they tell you and what actually happens are two COMPLETELY
  more... different things.  less
Pros
flexible working hours, some pretty awesome people work with you
Cons
pretty tough work for low pay, no room for advancement, terrible management, empty promises
fun place
Traffic Assistant (Former Employee) –  kitchenerJune 23, 2012
picking orders

material handling

shipping receiving

traffic dept assistant
Pros
cool work crew
Cons
no benefits
Great for a student or low level worker
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  KitchenerOctober 2, 2014
They are very flexible with school schedules as long as you maintain your weekly hours. This was a huge bonus as a student as I could choose my hours. Down side is there is not a lot of weekend work for some that may be an upside. Some "management" or "leads" are "bad"(indeed wouldn't let me use the word I wanted) and bark orders, you can literally hear them yelling from across the warehouse. In my opinion they should not have a job from the way they treat their employees and I did not even work for them. Other managers are great and friendly. Stay away from sortation!
Pros
lots of hours available, flexible hours
Cons
bad morale, bad attitudes
Great place to grow professionally
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QCNovember 10, 2014
Most days consist of acquiring new business through cold calling potential customers, meeting with existing customers and growing their business, and managing internal store functions (ex. inventory, purchasing, customer relations.)

Each store team consists of usually a manager, sales representatives and internal warehouse associates. Upper levels of management are district managers, regional managers, and finance managers.

Hardest part of the job is continuously keeping up to speed with a quickly changing business environment with customer requirements that vary largely depending on the customer size.
Critical thinking/multitasking/management
OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE - GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABAugust 3, 2014
Typical day at work was to make cold calls and bring a value added service to our customers.

It was a brand new company, and I was part of piloting the sales portion of the venture for northern Alberta.

I learned how to ask effective questions that allowed me to learn the specifics of a company so that I was prepared to make presentations if needed.

Management moves quickly due to quick turn around within store fronts and upper management. I had developed some great mentors during my time with the company

For the most part I had great experiences with coworkers both inside and outside of my branch. Finding the right employees is the most difficult part of developing any company.

The stress put on by only one individual made by multiple customers with limited assets like employees and logistics.

Developing relationships with customers that turned into great business partnerships.
Great workplace amazing team work
Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONAugust 2, 2012
A typical day, is constant phone calls, e-mails, faxes ECT. Visiting onsite with customers promoting your products and your services that are available. I've learned all different sourcing, how to properly communicate with customers and pin point their needs for their specific jobs in order. My co-workers are amazing, we have a great small team inside. Overall through out the whole company everyone is great and we all work together to help each other stride to do great and advance in the company.
Pros
having all the resources of gaining more knowledge of the product.
Cons
Term of employment to short to comment
Industrial Supplies Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABMay 14, 2014
Each day new challenges were given related to sales to enable the office to reach their weekly/monthly/annual targets. Focus was sales but remembering to keep the place tidy and pleasing to the eye of the customer. Learned to use their inventory computer system, Point of Sale equipment and completed all of the company required training. Management and co-workers were approachable and helpful while I was learning. I enjoyed learning new ways to do things and gaining knowledge on the job.
Pros
easy access to work from home
Cons
short term employment - moved out of province
Untrained Management = Poor Experiences
Former Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJanuary 31, 2013
Just starting out in B2B Sales? Then use this company for your personal benefit short term. The initial training that you will receive is great from trained educators. I would recommend the training for anyone as the instructors live their values. Now for the dark side of the equation. They training is inconsistent with the feet on the ground, meaning management. I am not referring to branch management, as they are only glorified sales people with extra duties to perform. I am referring to management above that level. Looked upon to be proficient communicator the fail hard and lead by this poor example. Much more of a high-school environment than a professional organization. Once you have cut your teeth and trained a bit then pursue another company. Smoke and mirror promises are going to come your way but pay them no mind as upper management are on strict budget and cant afford the promises they offer. Its the Walmart of Industrial Supply my friends.
Pros
good trainers in hq
It's just a job
PT Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONOctober 3, 2013
I worked there for about 6 weeks. Quite a joke. The other people in the store I was at were sending customers to the competitor. They really didn't know what they were doing to try to grow a business. Shotty training. No real support. Poor management. They are just looking for people who can talk to a brick wall in the hopes that your kindness will make them a repeat customer. Oh and customer wasn't always right.

Although if you are extremely outgoing and want a PT job at $15 an hour, then it would be alright.
Pros
very laid back, although that made the day go by slowly
Cons
everything
Cost Saving Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, ONMarch 17, 2015
I worked her for 4 years learned a lot and met a lot of great people. I have a lot of experience and training from this company but am looking for a career
A company focused on Growth thru Customer Service
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 15, 2015
Very Good Company for learning Industrial Products and Customer Service Values with Focus on Sales and Revenue Growth
Pros
very independent working environment
Cons
employee retention
Productive and Enjoyable
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONMay 27, 2014
Friendly co-workers. I always looked forward to going to work here. It was enjoyable to make daily deliveries to the many different customers around North Bay and surrounding areas.
Pros
friendly environment
Not Just Fasteners
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 6, 2013
A company driven to succeed and open to entrepreneurial ideas, it's a place for young employees to start their sales career.
Good Work Environment
Sales (Current Employee) –  Mississauga,OntarioDecember 22, 2014
It's a great place to work with excellent individuals. Team work is built on getting results and finding solutions effectively and the plans to progress the company have been good.
Bad Company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  US and CanadaJanuary 8, 2013
First they promise you the world then take it away. when they expect you to hit sales goals when you are the only one working in the branch its hard to get out to your customers. And their hiring process is dumb taking a test the even a two year could barely do , as the GM I had to pre interview potential people which is not allowed by the company then take the test for them
Good company to work for with great work ethic
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Devils Lake, NDJuly 8, 2014
I have worked in multiple roles in my short time with the company, 4 years. I have had success in every step I've taken due to hard work and helpful people around me who wanted me to succeed as well.
worst job yet