Fastenal Employee Reviews

How is this company still making profit?
Inventory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2016
There was always work for me to do, but I was never really held to any standards. Just show up before the bosses did and I was never considered late. This place is the epitome of casual, so if you don't care about benefits, getting raises, or any sort of incentive, but you just want to work with little to no effort, this is the place for you.
Pros
Could be lazy or work hard, didn't matter so long as there was just enough to show you were present.
Cons
Promised raises and bonuses, but never got either
Run Away
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON29 November 2016
My last 1.5 to 2 years of employment with Fastenal were a joke. Horrible leadership, unreasonable to work with. Even when you a top performer you still get a target on your back. They do not award their employees for doing great job, in fact there is so much skim Fastenal promotes stealing within their own company. Most enjoyable was working with my employees and seeing them progress as an employee and human being.
Pros
Work with great customers, employees.
Cons
Have no control over your business, horrible leadership, don't care about their employees.
Great place to work, but...
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB4 July 2016
The rep for Atlantic Canada is one that will try to get colleges to fight amongst themselves over useless rivalries. Rather than work as a team, as the company says, he prefers to divide and conquer to get ahead. It will only be a matter of time before his boomerang that he unleashed will turn and cut him to ribbons.
Pros
Awesome colleges.
Cons
No job security
Great Place to Work
National Accounts Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 March 2016
Great company, good management, flexible hours,a lot of customer focus and great opportunity for advancement within the company
ok, can be fun, stressful half the time, with overbearing management
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kichener, ON7 March 2016
Can be fun if you have a good manager. Typical day involved talking to customers on the phone, responding to RFQs, picking stock for vending machines, restocking vending machines, inventory analysis etc. I learned to use my time more efficiently and to achieve company goals. Management is bad. Co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job is sourcing product. It can eat up a huge chuck of your day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you make target and see your hard work pay-off.
Pros
Freedom to do your job
Cons
Poor management
Always a new challenge
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON14 March 2016
Everyday is different but interesting thats for sure, love the people I work with. Management is always there with a helping hand and options to better yourself
Good
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 May 2016
Good work Envirnoment. Wonderful staff. Would continue to work for them but am moving. Not much room to grow unless you're willing to relocate to where there is positions available.
Fun workplace
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 February 2016
This location is currently closed but I would recommend any Fastenal environment to anyone. Management was great and I made $13.00 an hour.
bllaaaaa
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 May 2016
this company is a horrible company to work for and the turn over is ridicules I have never in my life seen a business model like that before.
Great pleace to learn
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Metro Vancouver and Northern B.C.16 May 2016
Great place to learn how to run a business. Their school of business is amazing I learned a lot. work experiences have been a ton of fun.
fastenal driver review
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  orillia ontario26 October 2014
I was a Fastenal truck driver running northern Ontario for almost ten years and it was a great job until a fat funny eyed girl and a fat farmer took over as management and then it turned into a nightmare!!!! they don't care about your safety on the road as long as the product is delivered and if u are stuck in a snow storm in a day cab on the highway they laugh at u about it in a accidental text that happens to be for the pearly white hub manager but gets to u.........its a company that cares little about there drivers and lots about getting there bonus on there pay check so stay away!!!!!!! this company only cares about making themselves money and not about the employees so if u accept a job good luck to u! oh and if u contact the male traffic manager on a weekend or night time with issues hes drunk and doesn't care so your on your own!!
Pros
no pros
Cons
long hours, dispatcher claimes to have no reception for phone service at home, or shuts off cell so u cant contact him and if he does answer hes drunk and doesnt care
Good place to grow...
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB29 January 2015
Good place learn and grow. Under good store management advancement is fairly easy. Very open environment to learn and ask questions if desired. Salary may not be as expected but time and keen eye for opportunities, expected income will grow.
great part time job
Welder/Fitter (Current Employee) –  Brunner, ON23 February 2016
worked there for 6 years , very good part time job for students or anyone that needs to keep low hours. good forklift experience as well
Pros
good student hours
Cons
Great company, but doesn't give back to employees
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON21 October 2015
Great workplace if you have the right management in place. Lets you run business as you see fit as long as you grow. Company takes out of your paycheck for unsold inventory MONTHLY!!! even if you were not the one to buy it.
Training and Learning
Sales Account Mgr (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 January 2016
Very good place to learn the basics of industrial sales. Training program to be one of the best. Enjoyed getting out and making new contacts with prospective customers.

Hardest part of the job would have to be delivering product in snow and rain. No caps on the trucks, therefore everything is subjected to the elements.
Stay away.
Long haul cross border truck driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2015
Poor management, low moral, low pay and they treat employees with absolute disrespect. They will treat you nice until your start work and then you are nothing more than a slave.
Overall
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON25 September 2015
I enjoy the sourcing and the challenge of finding something that it out of the "standard" product that we supply
The work environment is great, and the people are great!
the hours can be long
Pros
the co-workers
Cons
management
Great for a student or low level worker
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Kitchener2 October 2014
They are very flexible with school schedules as long as you maintain your weekly hours. This was a huge bonus as a student as I could choose my hours. Down side is there is not a lot of weekend work for some that may be an upside. Some "management" or "leads" are "bad"(indeed wouldn't let me use the word I wanted) and bark orders, you can literally hear them yelling from across the warehouse. In my opinion they should not have a job from the way they treat their employees and I did not even work for them. Other managers are great and friendly. Stay away from sortation!
Pros
Lots of hours available, flexible hours
Cons
bad morale, bad attitudes
Great company to work for- LOTS of room for advancement and encourage to promote from within
Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ontario7 March 2014
I have been at fastenal for 3 years, started out as sales support part time while in school, then after a year I was promoted to full time sales and have loved every moment of it.

The base salary is ok, but what you make your money is off of commission. If you do not have the right motivation or are not a peoples person or hate sales, Then I would suggest to NOT apply here. Fastenal is all about challenging your self EVERYDAY and if you dont have what it takes to succeed than you will not go far. Fastenal is not made for everybody but if you have the skills and determination I DO recommend working here, your co-workers are amazing and the relationships you build with customers are great and not to mention they have lots of great perks of working at fastenal. Ill keep those a surprise.

I bleed BLUE !
Great place to grow professionally
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QC10 November 2014
Most days consist of acquiring new business through cold calling potential customers, meeting with existing customers and growing their business, and managing internal store functions (ex. inventory, purchasing, customer relations.)

Each store team consists of usually a manager, sales representatives and internal warehouse associates. Upper levels of management are district managers, regional managers, and finance managers.

Hardest part of the job is continuously keeping up to speed with a quickly changing business environment with customer requirements that vary largely depending on the customer size.

2.9