Fastenal Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Small Parts packaging, and moving boxes galore
Sortation, Receiving, Picking (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONMay 1, 2015
Pros: Great team, great managers, everything scanned = no need for constant inventory
Cons: Unless you have credentials and friends higher up you're not going up
The workers there are friendly if you're on the morning crew. The managers are some of the best I've ever experienced. You start at $12/hour, and a 25 cent raise hits every 6 months. You will either be placed in Picking, Sortation, Shipping or Receiving. Picking you work at a computer scanning boxes, taking out parts, packaging them, and then readjusting numbers. The parts are sent down a large convey system which eventually gets down to sortation line. Which is extremely buggy, and sometimes eats the boxes, or gets jammed. As a sortation worker; you have to pick up said boxes and place them in large totes, scanning them and then the totes. Occasionally, you will have to unjam boxes, or tape boxes back together if they got eaten. Most of the parts are metal and will not break, but some products are fragile, and have to be placed in special locations. As a shipper you will most likely be operating a forklift. You will be unloading trucks, making sure sortation has all the skids they need, and scanning skids to locations. As a receiving employee you take boxes from skids, scan them into the system(need to learn software), and put them down the convey to go into the system for pickers to use. This part of the job is still not refined, and needs a very careful attention to details. If you generally do not care about your work ethic, please don't apply for a receiver position you will only make their job worse.
Everything "should" be scanned to a location, that's the bonus of this job. But occasionally, if you're lead of receiving you will have to hunt down a box that was either – more... mislabeled, incorrectly scanned, or generally put in the wrong place by someone not paying attention. In my time with Fastenal there was no greater pain than to watch the lead of receiving hunting down boxes that should have just been scanned correctly and put in their proper place.
The lunch room looks awesome. There are lockers if you need them. 2 fridges. Large bathrooms, and separate one with a shower that locks. – less
Not the best!
Warehouse worker (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: flexible working hours, some pretty awesome people work with you
Cons: pretty tough work for low pay, no room for advancement, terrible management, empty promises
Worked for Fastenal for a little over a year.

At first the work was fine. Fast paced, great people to work with. They did have high expectations but as a new employee you learn to love it and hope that working towards these goals will bring some benefit.

Well, trust me, when it comes to this company that's not the case. I was told going in there that as long as we managed to meet certain criteria we would always get a bonus every month. (Was told it worked out to about another dollar an hour. Take whatever you can get when they only pay you 10.50 an hour.) They never gave us that, never once. Even though I know for a fact we all did the work they asked of us.

After about two months I was trained on the forklifts, told I would get a raise for that to. Nope.

I mean, don't get me wrong here. If you want to meet some decent people, (besides the management who seem to have this "I'm better than you in every way" attitude) it's a pretty decent place. But if you're looking to advance at all in the company this place isn't for you. They have an incredibly high turnover rate for one, the management is disgusting as I said before, the pay is horrible compared to other warehouse jobs in the area, you wont get raises and if you do please tell me because I know people who have worked there for years and didn't get anything.

At least you can put it on your resume?

My advice, go work for McDonalds. It will look better on your Resume in the end anyways. If you are going to work at Fastenal though, ignore the goals because what they tell you and what actually happens are two COMPLETELY – more... different things. – less
fastenal driver review
Truck Driver (Former Employee), orillia ontarioOctober 26, 2014
Pros: no pros
Cons: long hours, dispatcher claimes to have no reception for phone service at home, or shuts off cell so u cant contact him and if he does answer hes drunk and doesnt care
I was a Fastenal truck driver running northern Ontario for almost ten years and it was a great job until a fat funny eyed girl and a fat farmer took over as management and then it turned into a nightmare!!!! they don't care about your safety on the road as long as the product is delivered and if u are stuck in a snow storm in a day cab on the highway they laugh at u about it in a accidental text that happens to be for the pearly white hub manager but gets to u.........its a company that cares little about there drivers and lots about getting there bonus on there pay check so stay away!!!!!!! this company only cares about making themselves money and not about the employees so if u accept a job good luck to u! oh and if u contact the male traffic manager on a weekend or night time with issues hes drunk and doesn't care so your on your own!!
Untrained Management = Poor Experiences
Former Branch Manager (Former Employee), AlbertaJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: good trainers in hq
Just starting out in B2B Sales? Then use this company for your personal benefit short term. The initial training that you will receive is great from trained educators. I would recommend the training for anyone as the instructors live their values. Now for the dark side of the equation. They training is inconsistent with the feet on the ground, meaning management. I am not referring to branch management, as they are only glorified sales people with extra duties to perform. I am referring to management above that level. Looked upon to be proficient communicator the fail hard and lead by this poor example. Much more of a high-school environment than a professional organization. Once you have cut your teeth and trained a bit then pursue another company. Smoke and mirror promises are going to come your way but pay them no mind as upper management are on strict budget and cant afford the promises they offer. Its the Walmart of Industrial Supply my friends.
Critical thinking/multitasking/management
OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE - GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee), Fort Saskatchewan, ABAugust 3, 2014
Typical day at work was to make cold calls and bring a value added service to our customers.

It was a brand new company, and I was part of piloting the sales portion of the venture for northern Alberta.

I learned how to ask effective questions that allowed me to learn the specifics of a company so that I was prepared to make presentations if needed.

Management moves quickly due to quick turn around within store fronts and upper management. I had developed some great mentors during my time with the company

For the most part I had great experiences with coworkers both inside and outside of my branch. Finding the right employees is the most difficult part of developing any company.

The stress put on by only one individual made by multiple customers with limited assets like employees and logistics.

Developing relationships with customers that turned into great business partnerships.
Great company to work for- LOTS of room for advancement and encourage to promote from within
Outside Sales (Current Employee), Windsor, ontarioMarch 7, 2014
I have been at fastenal for 3 years, started out as sales support part time while in school, then after a year I was promoted to full time sales and have loved every moment of it.

The base salary is ok, but what you make your money is off of commission. If you do not have the right motivation or are not a peoples person or hate sales, Then I would suggest to NOT apply here. Fastenal is all about challenging your self EVERYDAY and if you dont have what it takes to succeed than you will not go far. Fastenal is not made for everybody but if you have the skills and determination I DO recommend working here, your co-workers are amazing and the relationships you build with customers are great and not to mention they have lots of great perks of working at fastenal. Ill keep those a surprise.

I bleed BLUE !
Great for a student or low level worker
Material Handler (Former Employee), KitchenerOctober 2, 2014
Pros: lots of hours available, flexible hours
Cons: bad morale, bad attitudes
They are very flexible with school schedules as long as you maintain your weekly hours. This was a huge bonus as a student as I could choose my hours. Down side is there is not a lot of weekend work for some that may be an upside. Some "management" or "leads" are "bad"(indeed wouldn't let me use the word I wanted) and bark orders, you can literally hear them yelling from across the warehouse. In my opinion they should not have a job from the way they treat their employees and I did not even work for them. Other managers are great and friendly. Stay away from sortation!
It's just a job
PT Sales Support (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONOctober 3, 2013
Pros: very laid back, although that made the day go by slowly
Cons: everything
I worked there for about 6 weeks. Quite a joke. The other people in the store I was at were sending customers to the competitor. They really didn't know what they were doing to try to grow a business. Shotty training. No real support. Poor management. They are just looking for people who can talk to a brick wall in the hopes that your kindness will make them a repeat customer. Oh and customer wasn't always right.

Although if you are extremely outgoing and want a PT job at $15 an hour, then it would be alright.
Great workplace amazing team work
Outside Sales (Current Employee), Windsor, ONAugust 2, 2012
Pros: having all the resources of gaining more knowledge of the product.
Cons: long hours
A typical day, is constant phone calls, e-mails, faxes ECT. Visiting onsite with customers promoting your products and your services that are available. I've learned all different sourcing, how to properly communicate with customers and pin point their needs for their specific jobs in order. My co-workers are amazing, we have a great small team inside. Overall through out the whole company everyone is great and we all work together to help each other stride to do great and advance in the company.
Term of employment to short to comment
Industrial Supplies Sales Representative (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABMay 14, 2014
Pros: easy access to work from home
Cons: short term employment - moved out of province
Each day new challenges were given related to sales to enable the office to reach their weekly/monthly/annual targets. Focus was sales but remembering to keep the place tidy and pleasing to the eye of the customer. Learned to use their inventory computer system, Point of Sale equipment and completed all of the company required training. Management and co-workers were approachable and helpful while I was learning. I enjoyed learning new ways to do things and gaining knowledge on the job.
Great place to grow professionally
Account Specialist (Current Employee), Montreal, QCNovember 10, 2014
Most days consist of acquiring new business through cold calling potential customers, meeting with existing customers and growing their business, and managing internal store functions (ex. inventory, purchasing, customer relations.)

Each store team consists of usually a manager, sales representatives and internal warehouse associates. Upper levels of management are district managers, regional managers, and finance managers.

Hardest part of the job is continuously keeping up to speed with a quickly changing business environment with customer requirements that vary largely depending on the customer size.
Excellent Employee Training, Large Organization
Operations Leader (Former Employee), Leader, SKAugust 9, 2015
I started working as an assistant manager for Fastenal but moved on to a new position that was created for me in the largest branch. I oversaw everything from sales, inventory, to training and hiring staff. Fastenal is a very fast paced environment which I enjoyed. Every day you met new people when you were out on sales calls or customers were dropping in for product. The hardest part of the job was the work load for the amount of hours in a day and the amount of staff you had to work with.
Bad Company
General Manager (Former Employee), US and CanadaJanuary 8, 2013
First they promise you the world then take it away. when they expect you to hit sales goals when you are the only one working in the branch its hard to get out to your customers. And their hiring process is dumb taking a test the even a two year could barely do , as the GM I had to pre interview potential people which is not allowed by the company then take the test for them
Growth through Customer Service - job that taught me the most
General Manager (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCSeptember 14, 2015
Fastenal offered vendor managed inventory programs that are customized to fit the needs of each customer. Enjoyed sourcing and delivery on time, finding solutions when other companies were unable to and saving companies by eliminating warehouse space and consolidating items. Loved working there and the high profit margins.
Training and Learning
Sales Account Mgr (Current Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Very good place to learn the basics of industrial sales. Training program to be one of the best. Enjoyed getting out and making new contacts with prospective customers.

Hardest part of the job would have to be delivering product in snow and rain. No caps on the trucks, therefore everything is subjected to the elements.
Great company, but doesn't give back to employees
Account Specialist (Former Employee), Woodbridge, ONOctober 21, 2015
Great workplace if you have the right management in place. Lets you run business as you see fit as long as you grow. Company takes out of your paycheck for unsold inventory MONTHLY!!! even if you were not the one to buy it.
Typical Day
Industrial Sales Representative (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONJuly 17, 2012
Pros: good work place environment
Cons: pay could be better
Come in to the offic at 9.

Start picking orders for delivery, load deliveries, deliver them to clients.

Have lunch, sit at desk and take orders, and perform administrative and customer service duties
Good company to work for with great work ethic
General Manager (Current Employee), Devils Lake, NDJuly 8, 2014
I have worked in multiple roles in my short time with the company, 4 years. I have had success in every step I've taken due to hard work and helpful people around me who wanted me to succeed as well.
not right now
Customer Service (Former Employee), torontoMarch 26, 2015
not right now regular part time job
they keep you at parttime 30 hours a week to 33 hours so they don't have to hire you full time and pay you benefits but overall i learnt alot and enjoy doing my work there
Good place to grow...
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Drayton Valley, ABJanuary 29, 2015
Good place learn and grow. Under good store management advancement is fairly easy. Very open environment to learn and ask questions if desired. Salary may not be as expected but time and keen eye for opportunities, expected income will grow.