Fastenal Employee Reviews

Very little chance for advancement even with lots of experience
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC8 January 2017
I worked at Fastenal for 3-1/2 years. I know I was doing an outstanding job, since customers would regularly give me positive feedback, but opportunity for advancement was not given to me because my DM deemed me "irreplaceable." I eventually quit because promises of a wage increase or promotion never came through, and because of other lies told to me by various members of management.

If you're willing to do menial jobs for an OK'ish wage, this job is a starting point, but don't expect to move on quickly without an education - it seems having one year of college will get you further than 5 years of experience.
Pros
Good experience on a resume
Cons
Dishonest management
Ok Campany
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2017
Great company if you are located in USA, not a great company for competition based in Canada. Don't be fooled by the commision compensation. Unless you live in a remote area where you are the only company, you will never be able to sell products at a 50-60% margin and be competative. If you can't sell at the crazy high margins than you won't earn commision. If you don't make sales you will lose your job, so your base pay is really all you will earn, and you have to make sales at lower margins to make Fastenal money, but you wont earn any commision.
How is this company still making profit?
Inventory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2016
There was always work for me to do, but I was never really held to any standards. Just show up before the bosses did and I was never considered late. This place is the epitome of casual, so if you don't care about benefits, getting raises, or any sort of incentive, but you just want to work with little to no effort, this is the place for you.
Pros
Could be lazy or work hard, didn't matter so long as there was just enough to show you were present.
Cons
Promised raises and bonuses, but never got either
Fast paced environment with great highs and great lows
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON5 February 2017
This job solely depends on who is your branch manager and district manager. Overwhelming amount of product to learn about and a lot of training falls on yourself to learn. My manager was helpful at times but wasn't very supportive overall.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Very individual job. Not much teamwork.
Great place to work, but...
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB4 July 2016
The rep for Atlantic Canada is one that will try to get colleges to fight amongst themselves over useless rivalries. Rather than work as a team, as the company says, he prefers to divide and conquer to get ahead. It will only be a matter of time before his boomerang that he unleashed will turn and cut him to ribbons.
Pros
Awesome colleges.
Cons
No job security
Fastenal
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB8 February 2017
Good place to work with great co-workers. Sell good products and lots of opportunity to grow and advance if you want to move up.
A day at Fastenal
Outside sales (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON26 February 2017
Our days start early and are filled with customer orders and deliveries. The most enjoyable part of the day would be going onto all the different sites and meeting everyone. The hardest part would be lifting some of the deliveries on your own.
fastenal
SALES SUPPORT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 December 2016
good company to work for you learn a lot working here its overall a good experience and great hours and works with your schedule
Great Place to Work
National Accounts Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 March 2016
Great company, good management, flexible hours,a lot of customer focus and great opportunity for advancement within the company
ok, can be fun, stressful half the time, with overbearing management
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kichener, ON7 March 2016
Can be fun if you have a good manager. Typical day involved talking to customers on the phone, responding to RFQs, picking stock for vending machines, restocking vending machines, inventory analysis etc. I learned to use my time more efficiently and to achieve company goals. Management is bad. Co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job is sourcing product. It can eat up a huge chuck of your day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you make target and see your hard work pay-off.
Pros
Freedom to do your job
Cons
Poor management
Always a new challenge
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON14 March 2016
Everyday is different but interesting thats for sure, love the people I work with. Management is always there with a helping hand and options to better yourself
fastenal driver review
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  orillia ontario26 October 2014
I was a Fastenal truck driver running northern Ontario for almost ten years and it was a great job until a fat funny eyed girl and a fat farmer took over as management and then it turned into a nightmare!!!! they don't care about your safety on the road as long as the product is delivered and if u are stuck in a snow storm in a day cab on the highway they laugh at u about it in a accidental text that happens to be for the pearly white hub manager but gets to u.........its a company that cares little about there drivers and lots about getting there bonus on there pay check so stay away!!!!!!! this company only cares about making themselves money and not about the employees so if u accept a job good luck to u! oh and if u contact the male traffic manager on a weekend or night time with issues hes drunk and doesn't care so your on your own!!
Pros
no pros
Cons
long hours, dispatcher claimes to have no reception for phone service at home, or shuts off cell so u cant contact him and if he does answer hes drunk and doesnt care
Good
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 May 2016
Good work Envirnoment. Wonderful staff. Would continue to work for them but am moving. Not much room to grow unless you're willing to relocate to where there is positions available.
Good place to grow...
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB29 January 2015
Good place learn and grow. Under good store management advancement is fairly easy. Very open environment to learn and ask questions if desired. Salary may not be as expected but time and keen eye for opportunities, expected income will grow.
Fun workplace
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 February 2016
This location is currently closed but I would recommend any Fastenal environment to anyone. Management was great and I made $13.00 an hour.
bllaaaaa
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 May 2016
this company is a horrible company to work for and the turn over is ridicules I have never in my life seen a business model like that before.
Great pleace to learn
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Metro Vancouver and Northern B.C.16 May 2016
Great place to learn how to run a business. Their school of business is amazing I learned a lot. work experiences have been a ton of fun.
Great company to work for- LOTS of room for advancement and encourage to promote from within
Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ontario7 March 2014
I have been at fastenal for 3 years, started out as sales support part time while in school, then after a year I was promoted to full time sales and have loved every moment of it.

The base salary is ok, but what you make your money is off of commission. If you do not have the right motivation or are not a peoples person or hate sales, Then I would suggest to NOT apply here. Fastenal is all about challenging your self EVERYDAY and if you dont have what it takes to succeed than you will not go far. Fastenal is not made for everybody but if you have the skills and determination I DO recommend working here, your co-workers are amazing and the relationships you build with customers are great and not to mention they have lots of great perks of working at fastenal. Ill keep those a surprise.

I bleed BLUE !
Great for a student or low level worker
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Kitchener2 October 2014
They are very flexible with school schedules as long as you maintain your weekly hours. This was a huge bonus as a student as I could choose my hours. Down side is there is not a lot of weekend work for some that may be an upside. Some "management" or "leads" are "bad"(indeed wouldn't let me use the word I wanted) and bark orders, you can literally hear them yelling from across the warehouse. In my opinion they should not have a job from the way they treat their employees and I did not even work for them. Other managers are great and friendly. Stay away from sortation!
Pros
Lots of hours available, flexible hours
Cons
bad morale, bad attitudes
Critical thinking/multitasking/management
OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE - GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB3 August 2014
Typical day at work was to make cold calls and bring a value added service to our customers.

It was a brand new company, and I was part of piloting the sales portion of the venture for northern Alberta.

I learned how to ask effective questions that allowed me to learn the specifics of a company so that I was prepared to make presentations if needed.

Management moves quickly due to quick turn around within store fronts and upper management. I had developed some great mentors during my time with the company

For the most part I had great experiences with coworkers both inside and outside of my branch. Finding the right employees is the most difficult part of developing any company.

The stress put on by only one individual made by multiple customers with limited assets like employees and logistics.

Developing relationships with customers that turned into great business partnerships.

2.9