Fastenal

Fastenal Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Small Parts packaging, and moving boxes galore
Sortation, Receiving, Picking (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONMay 1, 2015
Pros: Great team, great managers, everything scanned = no need for constant inventory
Cons: Unless you have credentials and friends higher up you're not going up
The workers there are friendly if you're on the morning crew. The managers are some of the best I've ever experienced. You start at $12/hour, and a 25 cent raise hits every 6 months. You will either be placed in Picking, Sortation, Shipping or Receiving. Picking you work at a computer scanning boxes, taking out parts, packaging them, and then readjusting numbers. The parts are sent down a large convey system which eventually gets down to sortation line. Which is extremely buggy, and sometimes eats the boxes, or gets jammed. As a sortation worker; you have to pick up said boxes and place them in large totes, scanning them and then the totes. Occasionally, you will have to unjam boxes, or tape boxes back together if they got eaten. Most of the parts are metal and will not break, but some products are fragile, and have to be placed in special locations. As a shipper you will most likely be operating a forklift. You will be unloading trucks, making sure sortation has all the skids they need, and scanning skids to locations. As a receiving employee you take boxes from skids, scan them into the system(need to learn software), and put them down the convey to go into the system for pickers to use. This part of the job is still not refined, and needs a very careful attention to details. If you generally do not care about your work ethic, please don't apply for a receiver position you will only make their job worse.
Everything "should" be scanned to a location, that's the bonus of this job. But occasionally, if you're lead of receiving you will have to hunt down a box that was either – more... mislabeled, incorrectly scanned, or generally put in the wrong place by someone not paying attention. In my time with Fastenal there was no greater pain than to watch the lead of receiving hunting down boxes that should have just been scanned correctly and put in their proper place.
The lunch room looks awesome. There are lockers if you need them. 2 fridges. Large bathrooms, and separate one with a shower that locks. – less
not right now
Customer Service (Former Employee), torontoMarch 26, 2015
not right now regular part time job
they keep you at parttime 30 hours a week to 33 hours so they don't have to hire you full time and pay you benefits but overall i learnt alot and enjoy doing my work there
Cost Saving Consultant (Former Employee), Tecumseh, ONMarch 17, 2015
I worked her for 4 years learned a lot and met a lot of great people. I have a lot of experience and training from this company but am looking for a career
A company focused on Growth thru Customer Service
Branch Manager (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 15, 2015
Pros: very independent working environment
Cons: employee retention
Very Good Company for learning Industrial Products and Customer Service Values with Focus on Sales and Revenue Growth
Good place to grow...
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Drayton Valley, ABJanuary 29, 2015
Good place learn and grow. Under good store management advancement is fairly easy. Very open environment to learn and ask questions if desired. Salary may not be as expected but time and keen eye for opportunities, expected income will grow.
Good Work Environment
Sales (Current Employee), Mississauga,OntarioDecember 22, 2014
It's a great place to work with excellent individuals. Team work is built on getting results and finding solutions effectively and the plans to progress the company have been good.
Great place to grow professionally
Account Specialist (Current Employee), Montreal, QCNovember 10, 2014
Most days consist of acquiring new business through cold calling potential customers, meeting with existing customers and growing their business, and managing internal store functions (ex. inventory, purchasing, customer relations.)

Each store team consists of usually a manager, sales representatives and internal warehouse associates. Upper levels of management are district managers, regional managers, and finance managers.

Hardest part of the job is continuously keeping up to speed with a quickly changing business environment with customer requirements that vary largely depending on the customer size.
fastenal driver review
Truck Driver (Former Employee), orillia ontarioOctober 26, 2014
Pros: no pros
Cons: long hours, dispatcher claimes to have no reception for phone service at home, or shuts off cell so u cant contact him and if he does answer hes drunk and doesnt care
I was a Fastenal truck driver running northern Ontario for almost ten years and it was a great job until a fat funny eyed girl and a fat farmer took over as management and then it turned into a nightmare!!!! they don't care about your safety on the road as long as the product is delivered and if u are stuck in a snow storm in a day cab on the highway they laugh at u about it in a accidental text that happens to be for the pearly white hub manager but gets to u.........its a company that cares little about there drivers and lots about getting there bonus on there pay check so stay away!!!!!!! this company only cares about making themselves money and not about the employees so if u accept a job good luck to u! oh and if u contact the male traffic manager on a weekend or night time with issues hes drunk and doesn't care so your on your own!!
Great for a student or low level worker
Material Handler (Former Employee), KitchenerOctober 2, 2014
Pros: lots of hours available, flexible hours
Cons: bad morale, bad attitudes
They are very flexible with school schedules as long as you maintain your weekly hours. This was a huge bonus as a student as I could choose my hours. Down side is there is not a lot of weekend work for some that may be an upside. Some "management" or "leads" are "bad"(indeed wouldn't let me use the word I wanted) and bark orders, you can literally hear them yelling from across the warehouse. In my opinion they should not have a job from the way they treat their employees and I did not even work for them. Other managers are great and friendly. Stay away from sortation!
Critical thinking/multitasking/management
OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE - GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee), Fort Saskatchewan, ABAugust 3, 2014
Typical day at work was to make cold calls and bring a value added service to our customers.

It was a brand new company, and I was part of piloting the sales portion of the venture for northern Alberta.

I learned how to ask effective questions that allowed me to learn the specifics of a company so that I was prepared to make presentations if needed.

Management moves quickly due to quick turn around within store fronts and upper management. I had developed some great mentors during my time with the company

For the most part I had great experiences with coworkers both inside and outside of my branch. Finding the right employees is the most difficult part of developing any company.

The stress put on by only one individual made by multiple customers with limited assets like employees and logistics.

Developing relationships with customers that turned into great business partnerships.
Good company to work for with great work ethic
General Manager (Current Employee), Devils Lake, NDJuly 8, 2014
I have worked in multiple roles in my short time with the company, 4 years. I have had success in every step I've taken due to hard work and helpful people around me who wanted me to succeed as well.
Learn a lot
Business Sales Support (Current Employee), TorontoJuly 4, 2014
Your happiness is dependent on the type of manager you get. The manager is who trains you and helps you when you are having difficulties.
worst job yet
Sorter (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONJuly 2, 2014
terrible experience
bad management
co-workers did nothing
Loved working here
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee), Duncan, BCJune 15, 2014
Pros: working with the public
Cons: not enough hours
I enjoyed and valued my job. I learned a lot of new things and found it a great asset to my knowledge for future employment.
Productive and Enjoyable
Sales Support (Former Employee), North Bay, ONMay 27, 2014
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: long hours
Friendly co-workers. I always looked forward to going to work here. It was enjoyable to make daily deliveries to the many different customers around North Bay and surrounding areas.
Term of employment to short to comment
Industrial Supplies Sales Representative (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABMay 14, 2014
Pros: easy access to work from home
Cons: short term employment - moved out of province
Each day new challenges were given related to sales to enable the office to reach their weekly/monthly/annual targets. Focus was sales but remembering to keep the place tidy and pleasing to the eye of the customer. Learned to use their inventory computer system, Point of Sale equipment and completed all of the company required training. Management and co-workers were approachable and helpful while I was learning. I enjoyed learning new ways to do things and gaining knowledge on the job.
Great company to work for- LOTS of room for advancement and encourage to promote from within
Outside Sales (Current Employee), Windsor, ontarioMarch 7, 2014
I have been at fastenal for 3 years, started out as sales support part time while in school, then after a year I was promoted to full time sales and have loved every moment of it.

The base salary is ok, but what you make your money is off of commission. If you do not have the right motivation or are not a peoples person or hate sales, Then I would suggest to NOT apply here. Fastenal is all about challenging your self EVERYDAY and if you dont have what it takes to succeed than you will not go far. Fastenal is not made for everybody but if you have the skills and determination I DO recommend working here, your co-workers are amazing and the relationships you build with customers are great and not to mention they have lots of great perks of working at fastenal. Ill keep those a surprise.

I bleed BLUE !
never work here
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: reduce your weight
Cons: no life or future
not a good company to work for. No Ethics in business. Just make the new employees work with out any benefits.
Not Just Fasteners
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 6, 2013
A company driven to succeed and open to entrepreneurial ideas, it's a place for young employees to start their sales career.
Horrible morals and ethics in upper managment
General Manager (Former Employee), OntarioJuly 29, 2013
Pros: flexibility for appointments
Cons: everything else.
If you think of becoming pregnant and going on maternity leave, expect to be demoted.

About Fastenal

Some might say it has a screw loose, but things are really pretty snug at Fastenal. The company operates about 2,600 stores in – Read more