Fastenal Employee Reviews

Ok Campany
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2017
Great company if you are located in USA, not a great company for competition based in Canada. Don't be fooled by the commision compensation. Unless you live in a remote area where you are the only company, you will never be able to sell products at a 50-60% margin and be competative. If you can't sell at the crazy high margins than you won't earn commision. If you don't make sales you will lose your job, so your base pay is really all you will earn, and you have to make sales at lower margins to make Fastenal money, but you wont earn any commision.
Very little chance for advancement even with lots of experience
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC8 January 2017
I worked at Fastenal for 3-1/2 years. I know I was doing an outstanding job, since customers would regularly give me positive feedback, but opportunity for advancement was not given to me because my DM deemed me "irreplaceable." I eventually quit because promises of a wage increase or promotion never came through, and because of other lies told to me by various members of management.

If you're willing to do menial jobs for an OK'ish wage, this job is a starting point, but don't expect to move on quickly without an education - it seems having one year of college will get you further than 5 years of experience.
Pros
Good experience on a resume
Cons
Dishonest management
Fast paced environment with great highs and great lows
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON5 February 2017
This job solely depends on who is your branch manager and district manager. Overwhelming amount of product to learn about and a lot of training falls on yourself to learn. My manager was helpful at times but wasn't very supportive overall.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Very individual job. Not much teamwork.
Great place to work, but...
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB4 July 2016
The rep for Atlantic Canada is one that will try to get colleges to fight amongst themselves over useless rivalries. Rather than work as a team, as the company says, he prefers to divide and conquer to get ahead. It will only be a matter of time before his boomerang that he unleashed will turn and cut him to ribbons.
Pros
Awesome colleges.
Cons
No job security
Fastenal
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB8 February 2017
Good place to work with great co-workers. Sell good products and lots of opportunity to grow and advance if you want to move up.
fastenal
SALES SUPPORT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 December 2016
good company to work for you learn a lot working here its overall a good experience and great hours and works with your schedule
How is this company still making profit?
Inventory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2016
There was always work for me to do, but I was never really held to any standards. Just show up before the bosses did and I was never considered late. This place is the epitome of casual, so if you don't care about benefits, getting raises, or any sort of incentive, but you just want to work with little to no effort, this is the place for you.
Pros
Could be lazy or work hard, didn't matter so long as there was just enough to show you were present.
Cons
Promised raises and bonuses, but never got either
ok, can be fun, stressful half the time, with overbearing management
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kichener, ON7 March 2016
Can be fun if you have a good manager. Typical day involved talking to customers on the phone, responding to RFQs, picking stock for vending machines, restocking vending machines, inventory analysis etc. I learned to use my time more efficiently and to achieve company goals. Management is bad. Co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job is sourcing product. It can eat up a huge chuck of your day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you make target and see your hard work pay-off.
Pros
Freedom to do your job
Cons
Poor management
Good
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 May 2016
Good work Envirnoment. Wonderful staff. Would continue to work for them but am moving. Not much room to grow unless you're willing to relocate to where there is positions available.
Great pleace to learn
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Metro Vancouver and Northern B.C.16 May 2016
Great place to learn how to run a business. Their school of business is amazing I learned a lot. work experiences have been a ton of fun.
bllaaaaa
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 May 2016
this company is a horrible company to work for and the turn over is ridicules I have never in my life seen a business model like that before.
Training and Learning
Sales Account Mgr (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 January 2016
Very good place to learn the basics of industrial sales. Training program to be one of the best. Enjoyed getting out and making new contacts with prospective customers.

Hardest part of the job would have to be delivering product in snow and rain. No caps on the trucks, therefore everything is subjected to the elements.
Always a new challenge
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON14 March 2016
Everyday is different but interesting thats for sure, love the people I work with. Management is always there with a helping hand and options to better yourself
Great Place to Work
National Accounts Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 March 2016
Great company, good management, flexible hours,a lot of customer focus and great opportunity for advancement within the company
great part time job
Welder/Fitter (Current Employee) –  Brunner, ON23 February 2016
worked there for 6 years , very good part time job for students or anyone that needs to keep low hours. good forklift experience as well
Pros
good student hours
Growth through Customer Service - job that taught me the most
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 September 2015
Fastenal offered vendor managed inventory programs that are customized to fit the needs of each customer. Enjoyed sourcing and delivery on time, finding solutions when other companies were unable to and saving companies by eliminating warehouse space and consolidating items. Loved working there and the high profit margins.
Excellent Employee Training, Large Organization
Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK9 August 2015
I started working as an assistant manager for Fastenal but moved on to a new position that was created for me in the largest branch. I oversaw everything from sales, inventory, to training and hiring staff. Fastenal is a very fast paced environment which I enjoyed. Every day you met new people when you were out on sales calls or customers were dropping in for product. The hardest part of the job was the work load for the amount of hours in a day and the amount of staff you had to work with.
Fun workplace
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 February 2016
This location is currently closed but I would recommend any Fastenal environment to anyone. Management was great and I made $13.00 an hour.
Great company, but doesn't give back to employees
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON21 October 2015
Great workplace if you have the right management in place. Lets you run business as you see fit as long as you grow. Company takes out of your paycheck for unsold inventory MONTHLY!!! even if you were not the one to buy it.
Great place to grow professionally
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QC10 November 2014
Most days consist of acquiring new business through cold calling potential customers, meeting with existing customers and growing their business, and managing internal store functions (ex. inventory, purchasing, customer relations.)

Each store team consists of usually a manager, sales representatives and internal warehouse associates. Upper levels of management are district managers, regional managers, and finance managers.

Hardest part of the job is continuously keeping up to speed with a quickly changing business environment with customer requirements that vary largely depending on the customer size.

2.9