Fastenal Employee Review

Many, many hats!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA25 August 2013
As General Manager of a Fastenal location I am responsible for not only the Key Accounts within my territory but all the day to day management of a busy store front. This includes P&L, inventory management, AR, employee training and motivating, goal setting and oversight.

The hardest part of the job is being effective while running a very lean business. I have prided myself in grooming future managers. This results in relatively high turnover as my staff moves on to new opportunities within the organization. I would say the hardest part of my job is to not let the customer base feel the impact of those turnovers in staffing.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with some of the largest companies in the world and seeing that their needs are met. Nothing brings me greater satisfaction then when they send more business my way and thank me for taking care of their needs at such a high level.
Pros
Flexibility, home most nights and weekends.
Cons
Not a lot of opportunities for advancement above General Manager.

Other Fastenal Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work enviroment
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC14 November 2017
Fastenal was a great and fun place to work and the staff was always happy and had a positive attitude towards everyone, its a good place to work for a warehouse enviroment.
Allows motivated individuals to make decent living and learn about running your own business
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB7 November 2017
Fastenal provides opportunities to those who are willing to work hard. They provide good technical training to assist new employees in adapting to the MRO market. Sales training is on going and there are many resources at your finger tips to help people succeed. The operating system is pretty straight forward.
Inventory and delivery times can be an issue as many items need to be ordered from warehouses in the US.