Fastenal Employee Reviews in Canada

How is this company still making profit?
Inventory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 3, 2016
There was always work for me to do, but I was never really held to any standards. Just show up before the bosses did and I was never considered late. This place is the epitome of casual, so if you don't care about benefits, getting raises, or any sort of incentive, but you just want to work with little to no effort, this is the place for you.
Pros
Could be lazy or work hard, didn't matter so long as there was just enough to show you were present.
Cons
Promised raises and bonuses, but never got either
Great place to work, but...
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBJuly 4, 2016
The rep for Atlantic Canada is one that will try to get colleges to fight amongst themselves over useless rivalries. Rather than work as a team, as the company says, he prefers to divide and conquer to get ahead. It will only be a matter of time before his boomerang that he unleashed will turn and cut him to ribbons.
Pros
Awesome colleges.
Cons
No job security
ok, can be fun, stressful half the time, with overbearing management
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kichener, ONMarch 7, 2016
Can be fun if you have a good manager. Typical day involved talking to customers on the phone, responding to RFQs, picking stock for vending machines, restocking vending machines, inventory analysis etc. I learned to use my time more efficiently and to achieve company goals. Management is bad. Co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job is sourcing product. It can eat up a huge chuck of your day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you make target and see your hard work pay-off.
Pros
Freedom to do your job
Cons
Poor management
Training and Learning
Sales Account Mgr (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Very good place to learn the basics of industrial sales. Training program to be one of the best. Enjoyed getting out and making new contacts with prospective customers.

Hardest part of the job would have to be delivering product in snow and rain. No caps on the trucks, therefore everything is subjected to the elements.
Good
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 4, 2016
Good work Envirnoment. Wonderful staff. Would continue to work for them but am moving. Not much room to grow unless you're willing to relocate to where there is positions available.
Great pleace to learn
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Metro Vancouver and Northern B.C.May 16, 2016
Great place to learn how to run a business. Their school of business is amazing I learned a lot. work experiences have been a ton of fun.
Always a new challenge
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ONMarch 14, 2016
Everyday is different but interesting thats for sure, love the people I work with. Management is always there with a helping hand and options to better yourself
bllaaaaa
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 20, 2016
this company is a horrible company to work for and the turn over is ridicules I have never in my life seen a business model like that before.
Great Place to Work
National Accounts Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 21, 2016
Great company, good management, flexible hours,a lot of customer focus and great opportunity for advancement within the company
great part time job
Welder/Fitter (Current Employee) –  Brunner, ONFebruary 23, 2016
worked there for 6 years , very good part time job for students or anyone that needs to keep low hours. good forklift experience as well
Pros
good student hours
Fun workplace
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 25, 2016
This location is currently closed but I would recommend any Fastenal environment to anyone. Management was great and I made $13.00 an hour.
Growth through Customer Service - job that taught me the most
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCSeptember 14, 2015
Fastenal offered vendor managed inventory programs that are customized to fit the needs of each customer. Enjoyed sourcing and delivery on time, finding solutions when other companies were unable to and saving companies by eliminating warehouse space and consolidating items. Loved working there and the high profit margins.
Great company, but doesn't give back to employees
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONOctober 21, 2015
Great workplace if you have the right management in place. Lets you run business as you see fit as long as you grow. Company takes out of your paycheck for unsold inventory MONTHLY!!! even if you were not the one to buy it.
Excellent Employee Training, Large Organization
Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKAugust 9, 2015
I started working as an assistant manager for Fastenal but moved on to a new position that was created for me in the largest branch. I oversaw everything from sales, inventory, to training and hiring staff. Fastenal is a very fast paced environment which I enjoyed. Every day you met new people when you were out on sales calls or customers were dropping in for product. The hardest part of the job was the work load for the amount of hours in a day and the amount of staff you had to work with.
Overall
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONSeptember 25, 2015
I enjoy the sourcing and the challenge of finding something that it out of the "standard" product that we supply
The work environment is great, and the people are great!
the hours can be long
Pros
the co-workers
Cons
management
Stay away.
Long haul cross border truck driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 4, 2015
Poor management, low moral, low pay and they treat employees with absolute disrespect. They will treat you nice until your start work and then you are nothing more than a slave.
Challenging Target Oriented
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCOctober 6, 2015
It is a fast pace, target oriented working environment.
There is freedom to draw your plans and daily routine in order to meet sales goals.
fun and busy
In-Store Manager June (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABOctober 2, 2015
shipping/receiving, quotes, customer communication, ordering parts,
filing, answering phones
very busy managing store
calling vendors
Great place to grow professionally
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QCNovember 10, 2014
Most days consist of acquiring new business through cold calling potential customers, meeting with existing customers and growing their business, and managing internal store functions (ex. inventory, purchasing, customer relations.)

Each store team consists of usually a manager, sales representatives and internal warehouse associates. Upper levels of management are district managers, regional managers, and finance managers.

Hardest part of the job is continuously keeping up to speed with a quickly changing business environment with customer requirements that vary largely depending on the customer size.
Great for a student or low level worker
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  KitchenerOctober 2, 2014
They are very flexible with school schedules as long as you maintain your weekly hours. This was a huge bonus as a student as I could choose my hours. Down side is there is not a lot of weekend work for some that may be an upside. Some "management" or "leads" are "bad"(indeed wouldn't let me use the word I wanted) and bark orders, you can literally hear them yelling from across the warehouse. In my opinion they should not have a job from the way they treat their employees and I did not even work for them. Other managers are great and friendly. Stay away from sortation!
Pros
lots of hours available, flexible hours
Cons
bad morale, bad attitudes

2.9