Fastenal Employee Reviews

ACCOUNT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON5 October 2017
Good people, Educational and a very good platform if you are interested in launching yourself into the world of industrial sales.
You learn the job from the bottom up. Delivery guy to General Manager.
Good Starter Position
National Accounts Sales Associate - Global (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 September 2017
Daily sales. Workplace culture was good and staff was good. Poor leadership on the local levels. Good place to work your way up the ladder if you wish to do so.
Flexible work/life balance, but not the best compensation
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON31 August 2017
Great commission opportunities, but not consistent, and generally low salaries. Good people, good customers, slowly seem to have moved towards chasing the almighty buck vs. trusting in new ideas and riding them out.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Politics eventually come into play
Fun workplace understanding with hours .
OPERATIONS MANAGER/VMI SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON23 August 2017
Great work place good stuff to work with . Gave me the opportunity to become a manager to hire new empolyees organize work schedules and plan delivery routes. Hardest part of the job is managing students who are not 100% dedicated to workplace being so young and uncertain with there career. Fastenal very Understanding and flexible with my kids school schedule . Great job security but unfortunately no room to advance to better your future .
Pros
Understanding with having a family
Cons
No room for advancement
good people to work with
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 June 2017
-Some days we're slow and some days we're busy.
-not always organized.
-Job security wasn't promised
-people we're overall nice.
-not too much room for improvement
good start to a sales job
General Manager (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON24 May 2017
Great start to learn about the industrial sales world or just sales in general.
the pay is o.k.
management is meh.
Good benefits and employee share program.
Horrible hours 7:30-5:00 mon-friday
Fast paced job
Outside Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB18 May 2017
The team was amazing, fun people that worked well together. Job was fast paced, worked with many different customers. I learned lots about the different industries in town from working here, and there was also lots of opportunity to learn about our products.
Pros
amazing learning experience, great people
Cons
Low pay, not getting paid for overtime
Management is self centered
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON30 March 2017
Great staff and coworkers. Manager doesn't care about your growth or development. Always to busy to train you or answer questions but spends all day talking to staff.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Manager
good company as a whole
Branch General Manager/ Branch relocated (Former Employee) –  Innisfail, AB27 March 2017
Good company as a whole but the middle management in Canada is trash. They promote young inexperienced kids to middle management and they come in with a change the world attitude disregarding the people below them!
no reviews
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2017
terrible workplace culture, many silly managmnent members is the hardest prt of the job. I have learned noithing in this company. Everyday I have fight for right logical pathways with managment
A day at Fastenal
Outside sales (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON26 February 2017
Our days start early and are filled with customer orders and deliveries. The most enjoyable part of the day would be going onto all the different sites and meeting everyone. The hardest part would be lifting some of the deliveries on your own.
Fastenal
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB8 February 2017
Good place to work with great co-workers. Sell good products and lots of opportunity to grow and advance if you want to move up.
Fast paced environment with great highs and great lows
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON5 February 2017
This job solely depends on who is your branch manager and district manager. Overwhelming amount of product to learn about and a lot of training falls on yourself to learn. My manager was helpful at times but wasn't very supportive overall.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Very individual job. Not much teamwork.
Great Job
Industrial Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON24 January 2017
Amazing salary and bonus structure. could use more freedom for sales reps to tackle the surrounding markets. My individual Branch manager was very narrow minded in this area. Yearly Trip to sales convention in Orlando in December. Lots of freebies from suppliers.
Ok Campany
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2017
Great company if you are located in USA, not a great company for competition based in Canada. Don't be fooled by the commision compensation. Unless you live in a remote area where you are the only company, you will never be able to sell products at a 50-60% margin and be competative. If you can't sell at the crazy high margins than you won't earn commision. If you don't make sales you will lose your job, so your base pay is really all you will earn, and you have to make sales at lower margins to make Fastenal money, but you wont earn any commision.
Very little chance for advancement even with lots of experience
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC8 January 2017
I worked at Fastenal for 3-1/2 years. I know I was doing an outstanding job, since customers would regularly give me positive feedback, but opportunity for advancement was not given to me because my DM deemed me "irreplaceable." I eventually quit because promises of a wage increase or promotion never came through, and because of other lies told to me by various members of management.

If you're willing to do menial jobs for an OK'ish wage, this job is a starting point, but don't expect to move on quickly without an education - it seems having one year of college will get you further than 5 years of experience.
Pros
Good experience on a resume
Cons
Dishonest management
fastenal
SALES SUPPORT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 December 2016
good company to work for you learn a lot working here its overall a good experience and great hours and works with your schedule
Great place to work, but...
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB4 July 2016
The rep for Atlantic Canada is one that will try to get colleges to fight amongst themselves over useless rivalries. Rather than work as a team, as the company says, he prefers to divide and conquer to get ahead. It will only be a matter of time before his boomerang that he unleashed will turn and cut him to ribbons.
Pros
Awesome colleges.
Cons
No job security
bllaaaaa
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 May 2016
this company is a horrible company to work for and the turn over is ridicules I have never in my life seen a business model like that before.
Great pleace to learn
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Metro Vancouver and Northern B.C.16 May 2016
Great place to learn how to run a business. Their school of business is amazing I learned a lot. work experiences have been a ton of fun.