Farm Boy Employee Reviews

No values
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 March 2017
Farmboy is a great company however their management team could use some improvement. I was there for 3 years and I got treated like nothing more than just an employee. When you had a problem or a concern their response was always "Figure it out".
Cares more about revenue than about the employees
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON15 February 2017
worked here for over a year, management leaves much to be desired, lots of drama, managers that are not experienced in the departments they work in, people quitting and walking out was a regular occurrence, there was no respect for the employees or their well-being (being told to come in on sick days because there was no one to cover, etc). The overall work environment was very toxic and hostile, extremely low morale. Long hours and being expected to pull the weight for people who weren't doing their job, instead of dealing with them. Very reluctant to give out raises regardless of your performance.
Pros
10% off discount
Cons
everything listed above
Great Workplace, Amazing Managers, Lots of Hours
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 February 2017
I worked for Farm Boy for a year and a half and I loved my experience working for the company. I spent most of my time working there as a cashier and really enjoyed it. They provide great training for new employees. Lots of hours available and very flexible. Managers are very nice.
Pros
Store Discount
Productive and fast paced environment with focus on customer service
Chef/Deli/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON28 January 2017
Fast paced with many opportunities to learn new tasks and customer service techniques. Friendly management throughout the company willing to help out wherever needed. Typical work day consisted of pre preparing pizzas, stir fry, and sandwich stations and making whichever food that I'm stationed on for that day. Greeting customers with smiles and keeping up conversation whether about their lives, mine, or about the company while their food is being prepped to their liking.
Fun job
Cheese Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 January 2017
Fun place to work, staff is very nice, managers care about you and your wellbeing. Cheese department is an easy place to work. the store closes at 9 the latest so you're never out to late.
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
long shifts
Valuable
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 January 2017
Farmboy was a focused work environment. I found that there was not much room to grow in the company and that it cared about its customers far more than its employees.
Great first job for students!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 January 2017
This is definitely a great place for students who may struggle with balancing education and work. The flexible hours make it simple to choose your availability around school. The workers are always having a great time, and you build a strong relationships with a variety of different people with different backgrounds. This is a very customer oriented job so you must always remain approachable and ready to help.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Short hours
Awful management
customer service rep- Kitchen/Chef department (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON21 December 2016
The managment at Farm Boy was just terrible. People were quitting all the time and it was just not a good place to work. Do not work here.
Fun co-workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON5 December 2016
Depending on the department either relaxed or stressful. Customer service skills. Management needs improvement. Good co-workers.
Coping with poor management. Co-workers were relatable and fun.
Pros
10% discount
Stressful mundane
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 November 2016
A typical day at work consisted in cutting all the possible corners to the end of earning maximum revenue for the company.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Poor work culture
Nice place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 September 2016
learned a lot of things, l enjoy my job the hardest part is remembering codes and products.place is clean and well managed
Pros
Cons
Rude people
Some amazing co-workers
Customer Service Rep./Prep/Cook (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 September 2016
Unfortunately.....not one of the best companies I have worked for. Aside from the wonderful co-workers.....and enjoying my actual work, the company itself leaves much to be desired. As long as one can be very organized and work quickly and efficiently all is good. I had to learn about the ups and downs of a commercial grocer, and it's just not for me.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
a VERY inconsistent work schedule, low pay for workdemands
What if Farm Boy had a union?
Grocery Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 August 2016
I don't work here anymore but if Farm Boy was unionized they would have to treat their workers equally and pay them every week instead of every 2 weeks. I left because of how this business functioned inside and out.

If workers want to form a union they are putting themselves at risk for doing so. Being unionized will be beneficial for the workers and protection against harassment and actual benefits.

One of the worst things about Farm Boy was the department manager calling me into work 2-3 hours early on the busier days so he can do less work when I got there. Most of the time I didn't bother to come in early and just came in for my regular shifts and he gave me a hard time about it saying "when we call you in early you're expected to come in early". My response "Dude, I have a life outside of work and I'll come in for the shifts you scheduled me for". This company needs to get their stuff together with the scheduling and respect workers by not changing their schedule without telling them.

Too much favoritism and all the right reasons to unionize. Good luck with the process.
Pros
hot attractive cashiers, food selection
Cons
demanding hours, schedule changes without telling you, emotionally charged workplace
It's OK, but customers aren't always right
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 August 2016
It's an OK place to work, but taking the customer's side every time regardless of the situation becomes concerning. They are making so much money and you have to be extra nice to customers.

Some customers are really picky and snobby, and some are polite and understanding.

The scary thing is people can get fired over anything, like making negative posts about Farm Boy over social media. I know, because I signed forms when was hired in January '16.
Pros
Flexible hours, Discounts
Cons
Difficult customers, Unreasonable standards
Working conditions:
Meat Department Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON3 July 2016
Overall it is a good place to work, but some of the employees are slightly rude. At times even ignorant.

Some managers there prefer quantity over quality, which I am not really a fan of. If you are going to serve, serve with integrity.
Pros
Comfortable breaks
Cons
Rude co-workers
good workplace to stay and had a job security
Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 May 2016
During more than ten years work experience, i have learned the good communication and teamwork skills. my manage and collegues are very nice, we were support each other. hard work and good service brought more customers to the store
Pros
good fellback from the customers
Cons
short staff on the shift
Busy environment, strong customer service
Supervisor in Kitchen and Chef Dept (Current Employee) –  Stittsville, ON19 May 2016
A busy, fun place to work. A company that follows full customer service standards. Hardest part of the job is getting everything out on the shelves in a timely fashion. Its all about the food.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
some maintenance isssues
On the Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ontario1 May 2016
Enjoy working with other staff also learning more about the company and meeting new friends. Hope to move up in the Company.
Pros
Meeting new freinds and new cusomers
Cons
People not working.
Review
Customer Service Representative- Salad Bar (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON25 April 2016
While I worked at farmboy, it was a great environment to be around, the managers would always make sure we had a clean workplace and fresh food all the time, Its all about our customers.
Typical Day at Farmboy
Customer Service in Cheese Department (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON31 March 2016
Opening the department at 7am, Closing the department at 9pm (cleaning). Responsible for keeping the counter filled with cheese products and filling the olive bar.
Pros
Lots of hours, flexible around school
Cons
Down periods, outside management (other department managers)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Farm Boy. Our community is ready to answer.