Farm Boy Employee Reviews

Cares more about revenue than about the employees
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON15 February 2017
worked here for over a year, management leaves much to be desired, lots of drama, managers that are not experienced in the departments they work in, people quitting and walking out was a regular occurrence, there was no respect for the employees or their well-being (being told to come in on sick days because there was no one to cover, etc). The overall work environment was very toxic and hostile, extremely low morale. Long hours and being expected to pull the weight for people who weren't doing their job, instead of dealing with them. Very reluctant to give out raises regardless of your performance.
Pros
10% off discount
Cons
everything listed above
Productive and fast paced environment with focus on customer service
Chef/Deli/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON28 January 2017
Fast paced with many opportunities to learn new tasks and customer service techniques. Friendly management throughout the company willing to help out wherever needed. Typical work day consisted of pre preparing pizzas, stir fry, and sandwich stations and making whichever food that I'm stationed on for that day. Greeting customers with smiles and keeping up conversation whether about their lives, mine, or about the company while their food is being prepped to their liking.
It's OK, but customers aren't always right
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 August 2016
It's an OK place to work, but taking the customer's side every time regardless of the situation becomes concerning. They are making so much money and you have to be extra nice to customers.

Some customers are really picky and snobby, and some are polite and understanding.

The scary thing is people can get fired over anything, like making negative posts about Farm Boy over social media. I know, because I signed forms when was hired in January '16.
Pros
Flexible hours, Discounts
Cons
Difficult customers, Unreasonable standards
Fun co-workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON5 December 2016
Depending on the department either relaxed or stressful. Customer service skills. Management needs improvement. Good co-workers.
Coping with poor management. Co-workers were relatable and fun.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
What if Farm Boy had a union?
Grocery Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 August 2016
I don't work here anymore but if Farm Boy was unionized they would have to treat their workers equally and pay them every week instead of every 2 weeks. I left because of how this business functioned inside and out.

If workers want to form a union they are putting themselves at risk for doing so. Being unionized will be beneficial for the workers and protection against harassment and actual benefits.

One of the worst things about Farm Boy was the department manager calling me into work 2-3 hours early on the busier days so he can do less work when I got there. Most of the time I didn't bother to come in early and just came in for my regular shifts and he gave me a hard time about it saying "when we call you in early you're expected to come in early". My response "Dude, I have a life outside of work and I'll come in for the shifts you scheduled me for". This company needs to get their stuff together with the scheduling and respect workers by not changing their schedule without telling them.

Too much favoritism and all the right reasons to unionize. Good luck with the process.
Pros
hot attractive cashiers, food selection
Cons
demanding hours, schedule changes without telling you, emotionally charged workplace
Stressful mundane
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 November 2016
A typical day at work consisted in cutting all the possible corners to the end of earning maximum revenue for the company.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Poor work culture
Great first job for students!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 January 2017
This is definitely a great place for students who may struggle with balancing education and work. The flexible hours make it simple to choose your availability around school. The workers are always having a great time, and you build a strong relationships with a variety of different people with different backgrounds. This is a very customer oriented job so you must always remain approachable and ready to help.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Short hours
Great Workplace, Amazing Managers, Lots of Hours
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 February 2017
I worked for Farm Boy for a year and a half and I loved my experience working for the company. I spent most of my time working there as a cashier and really enjoyed it. They provide great training for new employees. Lots of hours available and very flexible. Managers are very nice.
Pros
Store Discount
Valuable
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 January 2017
Farmboy was a focused work environment. I found that there was not much room to grow in the company and that it cared about its customers far more than its employees.
Some amazing co-workers
Customer Service Rep./Prep/Cook (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 September 2016
Unfortunately.....not one of the best companies I have worked for. Aside from the wonderful co-workers.....and enjoying my actual work, the company itself leaves much to be desired. As long as one can be very organized and work quickly and efficiently all is good. I had to learn about the ups and downs of a commercial grocer, and it's just not for me.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
a VERY inconsistent work schedule, low pay for workdemands
Fun job
Cheese Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 January 2017
Fun place to work, staff is very nice, managers care about you and your wellbeing. Cheese department is an easy place to work. the store closes at 9 the latest so you're never out to late.
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
long shifts
Awful management
customer service rep- Kitchen/Chef department (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON21 December 2016
The managment at Farm Boy was just terrible. People were quitting all the time and it was just not a good place to work. Do not work here.
Nice place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 September 2016
learned a lot of things, l enjoy my job the hardest part is remembering codes and products.place is clean and well managed
Pros
Cons
Rude people
Excellent work environment
Produce Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 July 2015
I loved working at Farm Boy. The people were great and the culture in our store was second to none. There was a fair pay scale, always an opportunity to find more work hours and the ability to move up in the company. The attention to detail and the customer experience was exceptional as well. The two biggest downsides was that the upper management were unreasonable and unfriendly. I always felt that it was very political there. Health and safety was and absolute disaster there. For food handling and cleanliness, Farm Boy needs to improve. As a worker, I always enjoyed coming into work and truly believe my skills were honed there. I grew a lot as a person there.
Pros
Amazing staff and attention to detail, fair pay.
Cons
Upper management were irritating and had unrealistic expectations. Didn't listen to advice or ideas.
Typical Day at Farmboy
Customer Service in Cheese Department (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON31 March 2016
Opening the department at 7am, Closing the department at 9pm (cleaning). Responsible for keeping the counter filled with cheese products and filling the olive bar.
Pros
Lots of hours, flexible around school
Cons
Down periods, outside management (other department managers)
Working conditions:
Meat Department Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON3 July 2016
Overall it is a good place to work, but some of the employees are slightly rude. At times even ignorant.

Some managers there prefer quantity over quality, which I am not really a fan of. If you are going to serve, serve with integrity.
Pros
Comfortable breaks
Cons
Rude co-workers
Family Oriented Advancement oppournity
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 January 2016
I had great employees and employers. Great way to start your management career. Just looking for something different now.
Pros
Great Advancement Oppourtunity
Cons
Lots of Hours
Amazing workplace,filled with wonderful and unforgettable people!
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENATIVE (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 January 2016
A typical day at work was pretty busy. I really enjoyed talking with customers, especially regulars. I learned that no matter what happens to keep a smile on your face and make sure the customer is always happy. My co-workers were wonderful, pretty much like family! The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult people, and the most enjoyable was being able to make people happy.
Pros
Peaceful and happy environment.
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Awful Company to Work For
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London ON23 February 2015
The London branch of this company has really become an awful place to work. As the company fails, so does their ability to treat their employees like human beings. Management has no idea what they're doing, and as they fail the blame falls to the hourly employees. There is little to no training (because they don't have the "budget" for it) yet no room for human error. It doesn't matter which department you're in, because all the department managers are so over worked and under appreciated they all treat their employees horribly. As previous posters recommend, stay where you are, unless you want to be looking for a new job in less than 6 months.
Benefits
Cons
Incompetent management, no training, inconsistent hours, no support
productive, energetic, fast paced,
Produce Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 February 2016
Bringing fruits and vegetables out to stock,crisping product, customer service.Learned time management in that field and product knowledge.Management was stressed.Co-workers were fun and energetic. hardest part were the managers. enjoyable part was the rest of the store.
Pros
close proximity
Cons
managers