Farm Boy Employee Reviews in Canada

Amazing workplace,filled with wonderful and unforgettable people!
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENATIVE (Former Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 3, 2016
A typical day at work was pretty busy. I really enjoyed talking with customers, especially regulars. I learned that no matter what happens to keep a smile on your face and make sure the customer is always happy. My co-workers were wonderful, pretty much like family! The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult people, and the most enjoyable was being able to make people happy.
Pros
Peaceful and happy environment.
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Typical Day at Farmboy
Customer Service in Cheese Department (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONMarch 31, 2016
Opening the department at 7am, Closing the department at 9pm (cleaning). Responsible for keeping the counter filled with cheese products and filling the olive bar.
Pros
Lots of hours, flexible around school
Cons
Down periods, outside management (other department managers)
Very fun and customer orientated place to work.
Grocery Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 5, 2016
I really loved my time at Farm Boy. It taught me great ways to satisfy the customer and keep them coming back! I would do inventories, scheduling, invoicing, overseeing operations a lot of stuff that gave me great experience in taking charge.
Pros
Appreciation of staff
Cons
Long hours (10+)
Awful Company to Work For
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London ONFebruary 23, 2015
The London branch of this company has really become an awful place to work. As the company fails, so does their ability to treat their employees like human beings. Management has no idea what they're doing, and as they fail the blame falls to the hourly employees. There is little to no training (because they don't have the "budget" for it) yet no room for human error. It doesn't matter which department you're in, because all the department managers are so over worked and under appreciated they all treat their employees horribly. As previous posters recommend, stay where you are, unless you want to be looking for a new job in less than 6 months.
benefits
Cons
incompetent management, no training, inconsistent hours, no support
good workplace to stay and had a job security
Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 24, 2016
During more than ten years work experience, i have learned the good communication and teamwork skills. my manage and collegues are very nice, we were support each other. hard work and good service brought more customers to the store
Pros
good fellback from the customers
Cons
short staff on the shift
Family Oriented Advancement oppournity
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 4, 2016
I had great employees and employers. Great way to start your management career. Just looking for something different now.
Pros
Great Advancement Oppourtunity
Cons
Lots of Hours
productive, energetic, fast paced,
Produce Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 8, 2016
Bringing fruits and vegetables out to stock,crisping product, customer service.Learned time management in that field and product knowledge.Management was stressed.Co-workers were fun and energetic. hardest part were the managers. enjoyable part was the rest of the store.
Pros
close proximity
Cons
managers
Working conditions:
Meat Department Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONJuly 3, 2016
Overall it is a good place to work, but some of the employees are slightly rude. At times even ignorant.

Some managers there prefer quantity over quality, which I am not really a fan of. If you are going to serve, serve with integrity.
Pros
Comfortable breaks
Cons
Rude co-workers
Busy environment, strong customer service
Supervisor in Kitchen and Chef Dept (Current Employee) –  Stittsville, ONMay 19, 2016
A busy, fun place to work. A company that follows full customer service standards. Hardest part of the job is getting everything out on the shelves in a timely fashion. Its all about the food.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
some maintenance isssues
amazing place to work
Chef Counter (Current Employee) –  Cornwall, ONMarch 23, 2016
Working at Farm boy was my first job and I loved it. I only left because I had to go to college and get a job in my field of study, but if I could stay I would. They are very patient and they are always willing to help if you need it. The were a very well organized company and even though some days were tough because the store was so busy, everything usually ran smoothly,
On the Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 1, 2016
Enjoy working with other staff also learning more about the company and meeting new friends. Hope to move up in the Company.
Pros
Meeting new freinds and new cusomers
Cons
People not working.
Review
Customer Service Representative- Salad Bar (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONApril 25, 2016
While I worked at farmboy, it was a great environment to be around, the managers would always make sure we had a clean workplace and fresh food all the time, Its all about our customers.
Poor management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2016
- Not very organized
- Does not order enough supplies
- Scheduling does not follow proper protocol
- Does not notify employees if the schedule has been changed
Excellent work environment
Produce Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 19, 2015
I loved working at Farm Boy. The people were great and the culture in our store was second to none. There was a fair pay scale, always an opportunity to find more work hours and the ability to move up in the company. The attention to detail and the customer experience was exceptional as well. The two biggest downsides was that the upper management were unreasonable and unfriendly. I always felt that it was very political there. Health and safety was and absolute disaster there. For food handling and cleanliness, Farm Boy needs to improve. As a worker, I always enjoyed coming into work and truly believe my skills were honed there. I grew a lot as a person there.
Pros
Amazing staff and attention to detail, fair pay.
Cons
Upper management were irritating and had unrealistic expectations. Didn't listen to advice or ideas.
Productive and supportive location
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 10, 2015
Fun and Supportive place to work, Most of the managers are great. Everyone helps when you need it, keeping items faced and shopping baskets are huge for this company, they never want to inconvenience anyone so it is extremely professional that they stay on top of things. The best part was getting to learn everything and being able to talk about similar tasks performed with other cashiers.
Pros
Free objects from the news flyer
Cons
cart shifts
Salary means Slavery at Farmboy
Produce Production Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 22, 2014
Farmboy is a great place to work, if you are in the right department doing the right job. They ask alot from you but the benefit packages and employee discounts (after 3 months) are good. No question they take care of their Full time, hourly, employees. If you work full time hourly you will be fine, but if you take a position that pays salary be prepared to work a bunch of overtime for FREE! The salary I was getting was for 44 hours a week, but you stayed and worked till everything they wanted was done. The Produce Dept. is the worst, they have a certain amount of hours to give out in their budget and after that the Salary employees take up the slack. SO if you like to work lots of hours for free, work at Farmboy on salary. I quit after 5 weeks, I worked 29 hours of free overtime during that 5 weeks. I had enough, also the Department Managers would come in after me and leave before me and tell me that I need to "tough it out, wait till you work an Opening" (new stores opening in London). This is why they are always looking for new Management. They take advantage of they salary employees.
Pros
good benefits after 3 months.
Cons
unorganized, understaffed, daily routines change daily!!
Fun Workplace atmosphere
Carry Out (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Great co-workers, my current managers are understanding of life outside of work and school commitments

Teaches you great customer service skills, thinking on your feet
Very Racist Company
Account Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 28, 2015
Only white people in management. If you are not white only department they hire is the kitchen or wherehouse. There is little to no training but zero tolerance for error. They don't like giving breaks and if you do take them they will make an excuse to fire you.
Pros
Co-workers and the food
Cons
Incompetent management, no training
Reivew
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London,OntaroiJuly 28, 2015
I started working there with a positive attitude but when the new manger of my department got mad when I have an exam from college that interferes with one of my shifts. He did not like that he did not get weeks in advance notice, but I only found out that night.
He then took away that shift and slowly pushed me out and then fired me 2 weeks later after saying I can work 7 days a week 24/7 because school is done. But he didn't care and that time was enough for him.

So in the end I wish no one will ever end up under Adam Blue control cause he will ruin working for an awesome company.
Pros
Interacting with customers
Cons
Not organized.
Great Experience!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Blue Heron - OttawaApril 27, 2015
As a cashier for almost three years at Farm Boy I learned a lot about what makes exceptional customer service, and the help I received from Farm Boy made a huge difference. I learned how to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and maintain professionalism at all times. From my experience at Farm Boy, I have much more confidence in my skills in communicating and working with others.

I was extremely happy with my co-workers and even gained some great friendships from my time at Farm Boy. The management were friendly, accommodating, helpful and very understanding.

There were some difficult moments while working at Farm Boy. Sometimes it was a challenge to determine what was of highest priority when I was faced with many tasks at once. I have also occasionally dealt with customers who were unpleasant. Another difficult part of the job is keeping an eye out for shoplifters, and following the correct protocall.
Pros
Co-workers and the food
Cons
Sometimes can be exhausting