Farm Boy Employee Reviews

It's OK, but customers aren't always right
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 August 2016
It's an OK place to work, but taking the customer's side every time regardless of the situation becomes concerning. They are making so much money and you have to be extra nice to customers.

Some customers are really picky and snobby, and some are polite and understanding.

The scary thing is people can get fired over anything, like making negative posts about Farm Boy over social media. I know, because I signed forms when was hired in January '16.
Pros
Flexible hours, Discounts
Cons
Difficult customers, Unreasonable standards
What if Farm Boy had a union?
Grocery Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 August 2016
I don't work here anymore but if Farm Boy was unionized they would have to treat their workers equally and pay them every week instead of every 2 weeks. I left because of how this business functioned inside and out.

If workers want to form a union they are putting themselves at risk for doing so. Being unionized will be beneficial for the workers and protection against harassment and actual benefits.

One of the worst things about Farm Boy was the department manager calling me into work 2-3 hours early on the busier days so he can do less work when I got there. Most of the time I didn't bother to come in early and just came in for my regular shifts and he gave me a hard time about it saying "when we call you in early you're expected to come in early". My response "Dude, I have a life outside of work and I'll come in for the shifts you scheduled me for". This company needs to get their stuff together with the scheduling and respect workers by not changing their schedule without telling them.

Too much favoritism and all the right reasons to unionize. Good luck with the process.
Pros
hot attractive cashiers, food selection
Cons
demanding hours, schedule changes without telling you, emotionally charged workplace
Fun co-workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON5 December 2016
Depending on the department either relaxed or stressful. Customer service skills. Management needs improvement. Good co-workers.
Coping with poor management. Co-workers were relatable and fun.
Pros
10% discount
Stressful mundane
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 November 2016
A typical day at work consisted in cutting all the possible corners to the end of earning maximum revenue for the company.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Poor work culture
Some amazing co-workers
Customer Service Rep./Prep/Cook (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 September 2016
Unfortunately.....not one of the best companies I have worked for. Aside from the wonderful co-workers.....and enjoying my actual work, the company itself leaves much to be desired. As long as one can be very organized and work quickly and efficiently all is good. I had to learn about the ups and downs of a commercial grocer, and it's just not for me.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
a VERY inconsistent work schedule, low pay for workdemands
Typical Day at Farmboy
Customer Service in Cheese Department (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON31 March 2016
Opening the department at 7am, Closing the department at 9pm (cleaning). Responsible for keeping the counter filled with cheese products and filling the olive bar.
Pros
Lots of hours, flexible around school
Cons
Down periods, outside management (other department managers)
Nice place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 September 2016
learned a lot of things, l enjoy my job the hardest part is remembering codes and products.place is clean and well managed
Pros
Cons
Rude people
Family Oriented Advancement oppournity
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 January 2016
I had great employees and employers. Great way to start your management career. Just looking for something different now.
Pros
Great Advancement Oppourtunity
Cons
Lots of Hours
Working conditions:
Meat Department Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON3 July 2016
Overall it is a good place to work, but some of the employees are slightly rude. At times even ignorant.

Some managers there prefer quantity over quality, which I am not really a fan of. If you are going to serve, serve with integrity.
Pros
Comfortable breaks
Cons
Rude co-workers
Amazing workplace,filled with wonderful and unforgettable people!
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENATIVE (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 January 2016
A typical day at work was pretty busy. I really enjoyed talking with customers, especially regulars. I learned that no matter what happens to keep a smile on your face and make sure the customer is always happy. My co-workers were wonderful, pretty much like family! The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult people, and the most enjoyable was being able to make people happy.
Pros
Peaceful and happy environment.
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Excellent work environment
Produce Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 July 2015
I loved working at Farm Boy. The people were great and the culture in our store was second to none. There was a fair pay scale, always an opportunity to find more work hours and the ability to move up in the company. The attention to detail and the customer experience was exceptional as well. The two biggest downsides was that the upper management were unreasonable and unfriendly. I always felt that it was very political there. Health and safety was and absolute disaster there. For food handling and cleanliness, Farm Boy needs to improve. As a worker, I always enjoyed coming into work and truly believe my skills were honed there. I grew a lot as a person there.
Pros
Amazing staff and attention to detail, fair pay.
Cons
Upper management were irritating and had unrealistic expectations. Didn't listen to advice or ideas.
productive, energetic, fast paced,
Produce Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 February 2016
Bringing fruits and vegetables out to stock,crisping product, customer service.Learned time management in that field and product knowledge.Management was stressed.Co-workers were fun and energetic. hardest part were the managers. enjoyable part was the rest of the store.
Pros
close proximity
Cons
managers
good workplace to stay and had a job security
Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 May 2016
During more than ten years work experience, i have learned the good communication and teamwork skills. my manage and collegues are very nice, we were support each other. hard work and good service brought more customers to the store
Pros
good fellback from the customers
Cons
short staff on the shift
Very fun and customer orientated place to work.
Grocery Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 February 2016
I really loved my time at Farm Boy. It taught me great ways to satisfy the customer and keep them coming back! I would do inventories, scheduling, invoicing, overseeing operations a lot of stuff that gave me great experience in taking charge.
Pros
Appreciation of staff
Cons
Long hours (10+)
Busy environment, strong customer service
Supervisor in Kitchen and Chef Dept (Current Employee) –  Stittsville, ON19 May 2016
A busy, fun place to work. A company that follows full customer service standards. Hardest part of the job is getting everything out on the shelves in a timely fashion. Its all about the food.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
some maintenance isssues
Awful Company to Work For
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London ON23 February 2015
The London branch of this company has really become an awful place to work. As the company fails, so does their ability to treat their employees like human beings. Management has no idea what they're doing, and as they fail the blame falls to the hourly employees. There is little to no training (because they don't have the "budget" for it) yet no room for human error. It doesn't matter which department you're in, because all the department managers are so over worked and under appreciated they all treat their employees horribly. As previous posters recommend, stay where you are, unless you want to be looking for a new job in less than 6 months.
Benefits
Cons
Incompetent management, no training, inconsistent hours, no support
On the Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ontario1 May 2016
Enjoy working with other staff also learning more about the company and meeting new friends. Hope to move up in the Company.
Pros
Meeting new freinds and new cusomers
Cons
People not working.
amazing place to work
Chef Counter (Current Employee) –  Cornwall, ON23 March 2016
Working at Farm boy was my first job and I loved it. I only left because I had to go to college and get a job in my field of study, but if I could stay I would. They are very patient and they are always willing to help if you need it. The were a very well organized company and even though some days were tough because the store was so busy, everything usually ran smoothly,
Review
Customer Service Representative- Salad Bar (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON25 April 2016
While I worked at farmboy, it was a great environment to be around, the managers would always make sure we had a clean workplace and fresh food all the time, Its all about our customers.
Reivew
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London,Ontaroi28 July 2015
I started working there with a positive attitude but when the new manger of my department got mad when I have an exam from college that interferes with one of my shifts. He did not like that he did not get weeks in advance notice, but I only found out that night.
He then took away that shift and slowly pushed me out and then fired me 2 weeks later after saying I can work 7 days a week 24/7 because school is done. But he didn't care and that time was enough for him.

So in the end I wish no one will ever end up under Adam Blue control cause he will ruin working for an awesome company.
Pros
Interacting with customers
Cons
Not organized.