Farm Boy Employee Reviews

As bad as it gets....
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 April 2017
Just a total nightmare of a company to work for. Expanding too quickly with no real plan for staffing. Company does not allow employees to have any kind of personal life. Department managers are basically slaves working about 70 hours a week, never two days off in a row. Company couldn't care less about its employees. Completely awful place to work. Losing great people all the time. Staff turnover is incredible and it's not going to get any better.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Too many to list
Good
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Stittsville, ON18 April 2017
I enjoyed my time here. Everyone is treated with respect. It's a nice place for a student to work part time with flexible hours and understanding management.
adequate
Customer service representative/cook (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 April 2017
Good Management structure, excellent work ethic administered by branch managers, very efficient human resource personnel maybe the strongest assets of the firm. Balanced gender equality in leadership. Would be an excellent place to work if associates are allowed to unionise.
Pros
co workers
Cons
management
Great Learning and New Qualities to Find
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON4 April 2017
Farm Boy is good store with great staff and polite customers. The salary and wages there are extraordinaire (depending on the hours you work) and also once you've found a department to work in, you start to feel the vibes and connection between each co-worker within the store working. Farm Boy is an all around cool place with good food, and fine qualities within each manager, co-worker, and customer.
Pros
Good food and great pay.
Cons
Bad/Rude Management, Over-time/staying overnight, Expensive prices, etc.
Boring, high expectations with poor pay
Produce Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 March 2017
Early mornings, terrible scheduling, awful management, and the company cares much more about the bottom line than the morale of their crew making it a depressing and uninspiring workplace.
enjoyed meeting new people
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON27 March 2017
I really enjoyed meeting new people. The company is a little strict on what you are and aren't allowed to wear (including rings, earrings, and socks.) Didnt mind working there
No values
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 March 2017
Farmboy is a great company however their management team could use some improvement. I was there for 3 years and I got treated like nothing more than just an employee. When you had a problem or a concern their response was always "Figure it out".
Cares more about revenue than about the employees
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON15 February 2017
worked here for over a year, management leaves much to be desired, lots of drama, managers that are not experienced in the departments they work in, people quitting and walking out was a regular occurrence, there was no respect for the employees or their well-being (being told to come in on sick days because there was no one to cover, etc). The overall work environment was very toxic and hostile, extremely low morale. Long hours and being expected to pull the weight for people who weren't doing their job, instead of dealing with them. Very reluctant to give out raises regardless of your performance.
Pros
10% off discount
Cons
everything listed above
Great Workplace, Amazing Managers, Lots of Hours
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 February 2017
I worked for Farm Boy for a year and a half and I loved my experience working for the company. I spent most of my time working there as a cashier and really enjoyed it. They provide great training for new employees. Lots of hours available and very flexible. Managers are very nice.
Pros
Store Discount
Productive and fast paced environment with focus on customer service
Chef/Deli/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON28 January 2017
Fast paced with many opportunities to learn new tasks and customer service techniques. Friendly management throughout the company willing to help out wherever needed. Typical work day consisted of pre preparing pizzas, stir fry, and sandwich stations and making whichever food that I'm stationed on for that day. Greeting customers with smiles and keeping up conversation whether about their lives, mine, or about the company while their food is being prepped to their liking.
Fun job
Cheese Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 January 2017
Fun place to work, staff is very nice, managers care about you and your wellbeing. Cheese department is an easy place to work. the store closes at 9 the latest so you're never out to late.
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
long shifts
Valuable
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 January 2017
Farmboy was a focused work environment. I found that there was not much room to grow in the company and that it cared about its customers far more than its employees.
Great first job for students!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 January 2017
This is definitely a great place for students who may struggle with balancing education and work. The flexible hours make it simple to choose your availability around school. The workers are always having a great time, and you build a strong relationships with a variety of different people with different backgrounds. This is a very customer oriented job so you must always remain approachable and ready to help.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Short hours
Awful management
customer service rep- Kitchen/Chef department (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON21 December 2016
The managment at Farm Boy was just terrible. People were quitting all the time and it was just not a good place to work. Do not work here.
Fun co-workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON5 December 2016
Depending on the department either relaxed or stressful. Customer service skills. Management needs improvement. Good co-workers.
Coping with poor management. Co-workers were relatable and fun.
Pros
10% discount
Stressful mundane
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 November 2016
A typical day at work consisted in cutting all the possible corners to the end of earning maximum revenue for the company.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Poor work culture
Nice place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 September 2016
learned a lot of things, l enjoy my job the hardest part is remembering codes and products.place is clean and well managed
Pros
Cons
Rude people
Some amazing co-workers
Customer Service Rep./Prep/Cook (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 September 2016
Unfortunately.....not one of the best companies I have worked for. Aside from the wonderful co-workers.....and enjoying my actual work, the company itself leaves much to be desired. As long as one can be very organized and work quickly and efficiently all is good. I had to learn about the ups and downs of a commercial grocer, and it's just not for me.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
a VERY inconsistent work schedule, low pay for workdemands
What if Farm Boy had a union?
Grocery Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 August 2016
I don't work here anymore but if Farm Boy was unionized they would have to treat their workers equally and pay them every week instead of every 2 weeks. I left because of how this business functioned inside and out.

If workers want to form a union they are putting themselves at risk for doing so. Being unionized will be beneficial for the workers and protection against harassment and actual benefits.

One of the worst things about Farm Boy was the department manager calling me into work 2-3 hours early on the busier days so he can do less work when I got there. Most of the time I didn't bother to come in early and just came in for my regular shifts and he gave me a hard time about it saying "when we call you in early you're expected to come in early". My response "Dude, I have a life outside of work and I'll come in for the shifts you scheduled me for". This company needs to get their stuff together with the scheduling and respect workers by not changing their schedule without telling them.

Too much favoritism and all the right reasons to unionize. Good luck with the process.
Pros
hot attractive cashiers, food selection
Cons
demanding hours, schedule changes without telling you, emotionally charged workplace
It's OK, but customers aren't always right
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 August 2016
It's an OK place to work, but taking the customer's side every time regardless of the situation becomes concerning. They are making so much money and you have to be extra nice to customers.

Some customers are really picky and snobby, and some are polite and understanding.

The scary thing is people can get fired over anything, like making negative posts about Farm Boy over social media. I know, because I signed forms when was hired in January '16.
Pros
Flexible hours, Discounts
Cons
Difficult customers, Unreasonable standards

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Farm Boy. Our community is ready to answer.