Farm Boy

Farm Boy Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Experience!
Cashier (Former Employee), Blue Heron - OttawaApril 27, 2015
Pros: Co-workers and the food
Cons: Sometimes can be exhausting
As a cashier for almost three years at Farm Boy I learned a lot about what makes exceptional customer service, and the help I received from Farm Boy made a huge difference. I learned how to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and maintain professionalism at all times. From my experience at Farm Boy, I have much more confidence in my skills in communicating and working with others.

I was extremely happy with my co-workers and even gained some great friendships from my time at Farm Boy. The management were friendly, accommodating, helpful and very understanding.

There were some difficult moments while working at Farm Boy. Sometimes it was a challenge to determine what was of highest priority when I was faced with many tasks at once. I have also occasionally dealt with customers who were unpleasant. Another difficult part of the job is keeping an eye out for shoplifters, and following the correct protocall.
a typical day at work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Orleans, ONApril 20, 2015
Pros: The benefit of using the Farm Boy employee card on store items
Cons: Unpredictable length of shifts from week to week
Started shifts with instructions from management. Served customers on cash and performed additional tasks asked of me by my superiors.
Awful Company to Work For
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), London ONFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: incompetent management, no training, inconsistent hours, no support
The London branch of this company has really become an awful place to work. As the company fails, so does their ability to treat their employees like human beings. Management has no idea what they're doing, and as they fail the blame falls to the hourly employees. There is little to no training (because they don't have the "budget" for it) yet no room for human error. It doesn't matter which department you're in, because all the department managers are so over worked and under appreciated they all treat their employees horribly. As previous posters recommend, stay where you are, unless you want to be looking for a new job in less than 6 months.
A disgusting place to work.
Sevice Manager (Former Employee), LondonFebruary 3, 2015
Cons: disgusting management. terrible training.
I worked for Farm Boy for 3 months and change. Their training is dismal. For someone who prides themselves on training they really need to look in the mirror. They have two faced Managers that talk smack about other managers to employees and the Store Manager is flipping clueless and needs MapQuest directions to find his dick. It is a disgusting and unprofessional place to work. They give you the whole growing company speech. Don't buy it. Stay where you are if you know what is good for you. They encouraged a lady to call in to complain they don't get both sides to a story.
Decent place to work
Produce Department Manager (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 16, 2014
Great place to learn how to run a business. You must have a strong work ethic to survive here.
Salary means Slavery at Farmboy
Produce Production Assistant Manager (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 22, 2014
Pros: good benefits after 3 months.
Cons: unorganized, understaffed, daily routines change daily!!
Farmboy is a great place to work, if you are in the right department doing the right job. They ask alot from you but the benefit packages and employee discounts (after 3 months) are good. No question they take care of their Full time, hourly, employees. If you work full time hourly you will be fine, but if you take a position that pays salary be prepared to work a bunch of overtime for FREE! The salary I was getting was for 44 hours a week, but you stayed and worked till everything they wanted was done. The Produce Dept. is the worst, they have a certain amount of hours to give out in their budget and after that the Salary employees take up the slack. SO if you like to work lots of hours for free, work at Farmboy on salary. I quit after 5 weeks, I worked 29 hours of free overtime during that 5 weeks. I had enough, also the Department Managers would come in after me and leave before me and tell me that I need to "tough it out, wait till you work an Opening" (new stores opening in London). This is why they are always looking for new Management. They take advantage of they salary employees.
excellent company to work for
kitchen/chef manager (Current Employee), ottawa, onJuly 21, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: long hrs
Farm Boy is a great company to work for if you follow all policies and procedures.
Good Co Workers
Carts and Carry Out (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2014
I enjoyed working at Farm Boy, They pride themselves wit high standards for a grocery store and it taught me the importance of reputation. I enjoyed all my co workers, and made a lot of good friends and memories. I also took a lot of good work ethic from working at Farm Boy.
Great employee discounts
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa OntarioApril 29, 2014
Pros: staff discounts
Cons: small store
Stocking shelves and the use of a PDA to track stock. Co-workers were pleasant to work with and my supervisors were direct and knowledgeable.

Small store sometimes difficult to move around to deliver stock on the shelves.

Great people to work with and very nice customers.
Good people, decent management.
Cashier (Current Employee), ServiceApril 14, 2014
Overall, the environment working at Farm Boy can be described as fluctuating. Some days, things are great - people are friendly, accommodating and generally helpful, and others times the management really gets annoying. They expect a LOT from even their lowest-level employees, while at the same time not giving anything back to them. Often times, higher management tells their stores to hire for higher-level jobs externally instead of internally. It isn't all bad, however. The employees are very nice and friendly, and for the most part the job isn't too difficult or stressful. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with the public, as with any retail-related job. If you aren't a people person, this is the wrong place to look for work, as they treat customers absolutely above everything else (i.e. lots of employee-customer relations). The repetitiveness of the job can get a little annoying, after a long shift, but the best part of the job is the people you work with. Farm Boy is very good about hiring the right people for the job, so if you do get hired, you'll generally like the people around you.
Very welcoming environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 5, 2014
Get ready to work involved putting on your Farm Boy attire, hair net and coat. Packaged meat for customers, cut meat for customers, faced aisle, ground meat, stored meat, arranged bunkers, helped customers in several different ways, cleaned department.
Learned a lot about different kinds of cuts of meats and how to handle them properly and how the machines worked.
Managers and supervisors were frequently present to oversee activities.
Friendly bunch who were always willing to lend a hand when in need.
Sometimes a customer would ask questions I wasn't able to answer and I'd have to redirect them to someone who could, but that wasn't very difficult.
Being able to help customers with their needs.
Cashier
Part-Time Cashier (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 31, 2014
• Performing all Cashier duties:
- Greeting customers
- Handling cash transactions
- Receiving payments by cash or credit card
- Answering phone calls
- Bagging customers groceries
- Maintaining a clean and orderly checkout area
- Counting till at the end of shift to ensure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change
Not the best work environment
Customer Service (Current Employee), ottawa, ontarioFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: worked with a few friends
Cons: not enough hours
Managers were not very respectful. my most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with nice customers. I like putting a smile on peoples face.
Very busy active environment.
Service manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: great customers and staff. policies in place are excellent. team environment.
Very busy, active environment. Customer interaction is wonderful. Co-workers work as a team. Managers are encouraged to hold each other accountable as well as to support each othersl. The best parts of the job were the customers and the staff. Extremely, excellent high standards for the customer service experience, this is crutial to the success of the business. Very high standards for quality control.
awesome group of people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2013
Pros: acceptance
Cons: wage
absolutely felt like a family. Gained acceptance and many friendships.
A welcoming place to earn some cash during the summer
Produce Team - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Ottawa, OntarioApril 20, 2013
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: inconsistent amount of hours per week
The day starts off with punching yourself in and doing a quick run through the section where you are assigned for the day and checking to see which shelves need to be re-stocked. This is pretty much the main part of the job: re-stocking shelves in your area with a higher priority on produce that is on sale.

I learned about how storage rooms are arranged and how to efficiently maintain a well-organized and good looking stock of produce. This was made quite easy with the help of the friendly management at Farm Boy plus the other workers also there.

The hardest part of the job was finding a way to re-stock a shelf that didn't need to be re-stocked but had to be because of the order of the department manager. The best part of the job was the availability of help and assistance with almost anything at most times.
Good company, Bad department
Supervisor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 12, 2013
Pros: advancement potential, interesting work (for retail)
Cons: standing, lifting, time in freezer, irate customers, wage (minimum)
The job was good, engaging and varied but not technically intensive. The management at that time was horrendous, however; incompetent and unproffessional, and as a result the department suffered. Said individual is no longer working there, and so I would recommend it to anybody looking for part time work.
wrapper
wrapper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 16, 2013
Pros: days going by fast
Cons: long hours
a typical day would be come in preaparing the wrapper room turning on the machine which print out the lables set up the no store with totes so when we meat come in it is ready to be wrapper and helping people tray the meat and then issue the meat store with what they orderd and then doing the inovices
Learned a lot, busy job
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 3, 2012
Pros: free lunches on your bday, 10% discount after 6 months of work
Cons: very long hours (management)
Very fast paced, lots to do. Not a typical grocery store.
best part of the job is being successful. Worse part is finding time to balance work and home life.
customer service
Customer representative (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 30, 2012
the best work is to deal with customer on a daily bases and it always a hard working job that it need passion and respect to customers and always helping ur co workers