Fanshawe College Employee Reviews

ESL Instructor
ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  London, ON28 September 2017
Teaching English the new-comers to Canada from countries like china, Korea and Saudi Arabia mostly.

It is a great place for the international students whose number is increasing year after year.

I am here only on two days and yet to learn a lot more things.
A fun place to work
CO-OP STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON21 August 2017
Fanshawe was fun and accepting of everyone working there, I learned great customer service and a lot of organization and was able to show my strengths in many different areas. The managers are more like friends than bosses/superiors.
Pros
Food days, the coworkers/managers
Great place to learn new things
Student (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 July 2017
Fanshawe College was a perfect environment for learning. The teachers there really understood their craft, and the focus of Graphic Design excellence was shared among peers. This was a very productive and creative space.
Pros
Challenging tasks, Detail oriented teaching, Collaboration
Cons
N/a
Environment
Professor (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 July 2017
Excellent place to work. Very nice people to work with and very helpful. Very leisurely environment. Knowledgeable staff.
Comfortable work environment.
Fun atmosphere in the classroom, grim and indifferent outside
Paramedic Student (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 June 2017
The paramedic community needs to change their attitude about what it means to help a human being. That is, if they really want it to be recognized as a serious profession. They should know that most of the world, meaning everywhere outside of London Ontario, still does not think too much about "ambulance drivers."
Pros
It's an experience.
Cons
Too much down time, intermittent moments of dread, does not amount to anything truly significant
Great Faculty
Student (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 June 2017
Overall good faculty and help available when required. Fun classes. Books were a bit expensive and I felt some were a waste of money at times. Classes could've been coordinated better to have less breaks during the day as well.
Great place and fun expererience
Technician (Current Employee) –  London, ON29 May 2017
This job is only one day a week and part time. There is no room for advancement unless you have a degree and each year you are not guaranteed a job again. Pay was perfect for the job type.
My supervisor was amazing and very supportive. It is my most fulfilling job I have.
Pros
Great environment, and rewarding job
Cons
long day
Great time
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 May 2017
It was a good opportunity to improve interpersonal skills and be helpful. Met a lot of interesting people from all over the world and everyone came with his own story.
Great place to learn and grow.
Announcer/Talk Producer (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 May 2017
106.9 The X was a student-run fully operational Radio Station. It was a great place to Learn. The setting was professional to a high standard but still welcoming. My 2 years on-air and producing Talk Content has given me experience beyond what is necessary to excel in any true industry job.
Pros
Great Equipment
Peer Tutor
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 May 2017
Established meeting times with students to help them with the course. make sure that each time I was helping a student to make it appealing to their way of learning, whether that be visual, audio or hands on.
Experience in working with online teacher and opportunity to teach a course
Professor (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 May 2017
Was able to work from home to review and evaluate the learning of the online students.
Learned about alot from the students and how they utilized their time to learn about the course.
Hard to give good feedback.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Could not see the students to increase their knowledge and benefit from direct contact.
Great experience but very poor pay for work required
Professor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  London, ON30 April 2017
In general this has been a great experience and great to have on my resume but is a literal dead end for further advancing my career at the college. This is not meant to be spiteful in anyway as the college did not force me to take this position but simply a means to prevent others from being taken advantage of like I was.
Pros
great experience and great staff to work with
Cons
very poor pay as a part time prof, the college ACTIVELY attempts to prevent staff from advancing past part time
Fair and honest work
Host Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2017
Great place to dive into the work field for the first time. Friendly, helpful, and hard working staff. Would recommend for anyone trying to pursue a career in the arts.
Productive and eye opening experience
Invigilator (Current Employee) –  London, ON26 April 2017
A typical day would consist of arriving about 30 minutes before the exam period started in order to go get the proper exams and arrive at the designated classroom or gym. I would hand out exams and go over the rules to the students about academic misconduct and cheating. Once the exam started, I am responsible for walking around to make sure students do not have aids or anything that could be used to help them cheat while writing the exam. Once the exam is finished, I am responsible for collecting the exams and bringing them back to the head of the department. The hardest part of this job would be that if someone is cheating or looking around a lot, then I would have to keep a close eye on them. If I saw someone cheating off of some other student, then I would have to take their exam away and they would receive a zero. The most enjoyable part of this job would be interacting with other invigilators and learning how they enforce rules.
fun workplace
Promoter (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 April 2017
The managenet was understanding and amazing. I learned to have patience and to treat customers with respect regardless of their attitude towards me. The most enjoyable part of my job was the great workplace enviroment and co-workers.
Difficult to feel stable
Part-time Professor (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 March 2017
While I LOVE teaching, being a part-time, non-permanent member of the Fanshawe faculty is challenging at the best of times.

The expectation for sacrifice from their staff is high, with very little reward, acknowledgement, or opportunity for advancement.

Contracts are never given opportunity for negotiation, so often times "promotion" simply means more work with no additional increase to wages, benefits, sick days, or vacation pay.
Pros
LOVE teaching
Cons
Treated like cheap labour.
Fun workplace
Hospitality Porter (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 March 2017
A typical day would be putting orders away, making sure all the employees have their stock, all garbage is collected up at each unit, picking up catering and delivering, cleaning deep fryers and back of the kitchen.
The management here are hard workers they are always there when you need them. They have a lot of respect for their employees .
The workplace culture is great get to work with friendly loving people who help out and make each day a fun day at work.
There's nothing hard about the job just one of those jobs that you always have something to do non stop all day but I enjoy that kind of thing.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my team and meeting new people everyday.
Pros
Working with great team
Cons
Bad benefits
Nice school
Social Service Worker Program (Current Employee) –  Simcoe, ON13 February 2017
Overall, I learned a lot at Fanshawe College. I wish that there would have been more jobs available when I got out of school.
Pros
Free lunches and breakfast (sometimes)
Cons
Long class hours, heavy workload.
Lots of openings
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  London, UK8 February 2017
Job allows peer tutors to see changes in the curriculum and refresh hour knowledge while also helping fellow students.

Low paying job, but depending on the student the job can be rewarding.
Pros
Was straight forward to get a position
Cons
Slow management, ever changing rules and policies, min wage
contract teaching?-be careful!
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 January 2017
Fanshawe is not interested in quality teaching, at least in Health Sciences. Budget is their no.1 concern. They are quick to hire and fire, not based on performance, but whether you can fit their financial schemes. They have a very funny wage scale that goes up when you work between 5-12 hours/week. So they do everything to make sure you are below or above that, with no thought as to what effect that might have on their students.
Pros
students are great
Cons
management doesn't care about quality education