Fanshawe College Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Hospitality Porter (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 March 2017
A typical day would be putting orders away, making sure all the employees have their stock, all garbage is collected up at each unit, picking up catering and delivering, cleaning deep fryers and back of the kitchen.
The management here are hard workers they are always there when you need them. They have a lot of respect for their employees .
The workplace culture is great get to work with friendly loving people who help out and make each day a fun day at work.
There's nothing hard about the job just one of those jobs that you always have something to do non stop all day but I enjoy that kind of thing.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my team and meeting new people everyday.
Pros
Working with great team
Cons
Bad benefits
Difficult to feel stable
Part-time Professor (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 March 2017
While I LOVE teaching, being a part-time, non-permanent member of the Fanshawe faculty is challenging at the best of times.

The expectation for sacrifice from their staff is high, with very little reward, acknowledgement, or opportunity for advancement.

Contracts are never given opportunity for negotiation, so often times "promotion" simply means more work with no additional increase to wages, benefits, sick days, or vacation pay.
Pros
LOVE teaching
Cons
Treated like cheap labour.
contract teaching?-be careful!
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 January 2017
Fanshawe is not interested in quality teaching, at least in Health Sciences. Budget is their no.1 concern. They are quick to hire and fire, not based on performance, but whether you can fit their financial schemes. They have a very funny wage scale that goes up when you work between 5-12 hours/week. So they do everything to make sure you are below or above that, with no thought as to what effect that might have on their students.
Pros
students are great
Cons
management doesn't care about quality education
Lots of openings
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  London, UK8 February 2017
Job allows peer tutors to see changes in the curriculum and refresh hour knowledge while also helping fellow students.

Low paying job, but depending on the student the job can be rewarding.
Pros
Was straight forward to get a position
Cons
Slow management, ever changing rules and policies, min wage
Focus Group Coordinator: new territory!
Focus Group Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fanshawe College27 July 2016
I am currently working at Fanshawe College as a Focus Group Coordinator. I am on a part-time contract, therefore, I only work 24 hours per week. My typical day consists of me coming in and meeting with different departments about certain focus groups they want, for example, program reviews. After checking with the departments I start the process of organizing the groups by sending out reminder emails and mass invites. After conducting the groups I have to report back to my manager and give them updates about the group as well as the meeting notes. This type of research has proven to be very valuable for research purposes so there is definitely a need for it. I also help with research projects on the side. The hardest part of the job is that nobody has ever organized these focus groups successfully before so I don’t have anyone to give me advice as well as proper resources. The management is great and always helpful, however, because this is foreign territory it is hard for them to give me suggestions on how to improve---it is a lot of trial and error which can be frustrating. My coworkers are wonderful and always helpful, however, even though I am part of team I sometimes feel alone in my projects. I need to add to my experience and widen my career horizons.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
lack of personal resources
One of the most rewarding jobs...
Sales and Marketing Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  London, ON27 November 2016
Teaching brought so much joy to me each and every day... I thoroughly enjoyed going to work every day. NO day was typical.. each day was unique. The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye.
Cons
It was a temporary position
Peer Support
Peer Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 January 2017
Nice compliment to studies. Allows you the opportunity to teach what you have recently learned.

Allows you to take on as many students to support as your schedule allows
It was nice experience for me. Management over there was good and cooperative. I was satisfy with salary and other facilities at initial level.
Event Staff-Athletic Department (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 May 2016
According to my opinion, it was very good experience for me to start my journey of work. I learned a lot from that place like arrangements, set up, take off of different things according to events. How to manage and how to organize them. The most enjoyable part of the job was being a part or member of event staff itself and working at athletic department because during work time,it was totally energetic and enthusiastic environment over there and specially all sports events were enjoyable. Co-workers were good and helpful.
Pros
can learn management of events, total sport environment, easy to reach because in college
Cons
too many employees
only part time but greea
Casual/Part time worker (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON17 November 2016
Worked at the school part time while i was completing my program. the campus chair is fantastic and knows everybody by name. It was nice of them to offer me work while i was studying
Productive and fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 August 2016
* Helping and solving customers needs
*Learned how to manage conflicts and listening skills
*Very nice and lively co-workers
* Not able to solve all their problems (hardest part)
*Putting smiles on their faces (Enjoyable)
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
a little challenging
Wonderful institution
Refree (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 May 2016
My experince working for fanshawe has been wonderful ; and their managment has been adaqute and fair , and always well strucured .
my typical day consist of being a referee for inturmuarl basketball games and soccer , the games start in the afternoon right away .

the hardest part of job was dealing with students who may object to certain call they receive in the game but beacuse of my patience and understanding i never lose my composure. In addition may co-workes are always on time giving me no reason to worry, which is the enjoyble part of work people knowing what to do and being able to converse with them .
Pros
be around the game you love
Cons
students not happy with calls they reveive playing
Fun Workplace, Nice Management Support
Helpdesk Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 May 2016
Great Work Culture with very helpful co-workers
Hardest part of job is explaining technical terms to non-technical management
Pros
Small city and Economical living
Progressive college
Professor (Current Employee) –  London, ON14 July 2016
Fanshawe is a dynamic and progressive college and caters for students' needs. It connects the academic world to the community and fosters competitiveness and scientific inquiry.
An easy going, wonderful work environment
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 April 2016
I worked as a Peer Tutor for over a year and I found it to be an easy going, wonderful work environment. I was more than happy to help my students to understand how to use Apple products, as well as editing photos in Lightroom & Photoshop. These skills are essential for the Photography Program, especially Intro to Mac & Production Techniques courses.

Not only did my students find my information very helpful, they also had fun doing the work, during our sessions! Overall, I highly recommend this position to anybody!
Pros
Pick your own hours, helping students
Great learning experience
Food Handler/Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON5 February 2016
I work in Olive Oyle's Deli from 8am-3pm every Thursday along with other students in my program. My program, Hospitality Management, is trying to provide us with as much work experience as they can. Setting us up in Olive Oyle's is a fantastic way to introduce us to a part of our future industry. The Deli is a fantastic place to learn professionalism, how to handle customers, how to work under pressure, and responsibility. The staff is very helpful and over all working there has been a great experience for me.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Seeing as it is part of our program we do not get paid for the hours we work.
Great workplace
Facilities Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 July 2016
A really terrific place to work. As a graduate of Fanshawe it was very comfortable to be able to come back and work here.
Great way to meet and connect with people
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  London Ontario2 May 2016
The most enjoyable part of this job was watching people succeed after I saw them struggle. They earned a sense of accomplishment because I helped them. It was very rewarding.

Hardest part of the job was arranging meeting times that worked with both of the schedules between the student and I.
Cons
little amount of hours
A great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, ON10 May 2016
Working at Fanshawe has been fulfilling and I have met some really great people! My employment also helped me to go back to school to obtain my accreditation.
Pros
Co-workers, environment
Cons
Not being able to find full-time work
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Athletics Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 April 2016
A typical day at work would include signing in, and from there setting up for the tournament or game day. This would include making posters that reviewed the matches that were played.
Once the games were being played my job was to run the scoreboard as well as help in any other areas that needed assistance.
Pros
Meals
Excellent working environment, management was above average
Print Technician (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 December 2015
A typical day at work would include: organizing and repairing studio equipment, completing printing requests from students and teachers in a timely manner, putting finished prints into correct folders, kept a clean and organized work environment and helped teachers out with small tasks.

In my experience, I learned how to manage time more efficiently, how to better interact with students, faculty & client and how to organize the workplace better.

Management and my co-workers were great. Both of my supervisors were patient and willing to help when I was learning new things, gave encouragement where it was needed and I would have to say that out of all of my working experiences, this job was by far, the best I have ever had. Both of my co-workers were a pleasure to work with and were both friendly and very professional.

The hardest part of the job, but also my favourite part of the job was organizing the studios and repairing the equipment. It made me very pleased to help my fellow classmates by having a clean, safe and friendly environment to do their projects and bring clients in for photography.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Hard work but it was worth it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fanshawe College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2