Fanshawe College Employee Reviews

Fun atmosphere in the classroom, grim and indifferent outside
Paramedic Student (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 June 2017
The paramedic community needs to change their attitude about what it means to help a human being. That is, if they really want it to be recognized as a serious profession. They should know that most of the world, meaning everywhere outside of London Ontario, still does not think too much about "ambulance drivers."
Pros
It's an experience.
Cons
Too much down time, intermittent moments of dread, does not amount to anything truly significant
Great Faculty
Student (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 June 2017
Overall good faculty and help available when required. Fun classes. Books were a bit expensive and I felt some were a waste of money at times. Classes could've been coordinated better to have less breaks during the day as well.
Great time
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 May 2017
It was a good opportunity to improve interpersonal skills and be helpful. Met a lot of interesting people from all over the world and everyone came with his own story.
Great place to learn and grow.
Announcer/Talk Producer (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 May 2017
106.9 The X was a student-run fully operational Radio Station. It was a great place to Learn. The setting was professional to a high standard but still welcoming. My 2 years on-air and producing Talk Content has given me experience beyond what is necessary to excel in any true industry job.
Pros
Great Equipment
Peer Tutor
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 May 2017
Established meeting times with students to help them with the course. make sure that each time I was helping a student to make it appealing to their way of learning, whether that be visual, audio or hands on.
Experience in working with online teacher and opportunity to teach a course
Professor (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 May 2017
Was able to work from home to review and evaluate the learning of the online students.
Learned about alot from the students and how they utilized their time to learn about the course.
Hard to give good feedback.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Could not see the students to increase their knowledge and benefit from direct contact.
Great experience but very poor pay for work required
Professor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  London, ON30 April 2017
In general this has been a great experience and great to have on my resume but is a literal dead end for further advancing my career at the college. This is not meant to be spiteful in anyway as the college did not force me to take this position but simply a means to prevent others from being taken advantage of like I was.
Pros
great experience and great staff to work with
Cons
very poor pay as a part time prof, the college ACTIVELY attempts to prevent staff from advancing past part time
Fair and honest work
Host Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2017
Great place to dive into the work field for the first time. Friendly, helpful, and hard working staff. Would recommend for anyone trying to pursue a career in the arts.
Productive and eye opening experience
Invigilator (Current Employee) –  London, ON26 April 2017
A typical day would consist of arriving about 30 minutes before the exam period started in order to go get the proper exams and arrive at the designated classroom or gym. I would hand out exams and go over the rules to the students about academic misconduct and cheating. Once the exam started, I am responsible for walking around to make sure students do not have aids or anything that could be used to help them cheat while writing the exam. Once the exam is finished, I am responsible for collecting the exams and bringing them back to the head of the department. The hardest part of this job would be that if someone is cheating or looking around a lot, then I would have to keep a close eye on them. If I saw someone cheating off of some other student, then I would have to take their exam away and they would receive a zero. The most enjoyable part of this job would be interacting with other invigilators and learning how they enforce rules.
fun workplace
Promoter (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 April 2017
The managenet was understanding and amazing. I learned to have patience and to treat customers with respect regardless of their attitude towards me. The most enjoyable part of my job was the great workplace enviroment and co-workers.

Want to know more about Fanshawe College?

Ask a question
Difficult to feel stable
Part-time Professor (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 March 2017
While I LOVE teaching, being a part-time, non-permanent member of the Fanshawe faculty is challenging at the best of times.

The expectation for sacrifice from their staff is high, with very little reward, acknowledgement, or opportunity for advancement.

Contracts are never given opportunity for negotiation, so often times "promotion" simply means more work with no additional increase to wages, benefits, sick days, or vacation pay.
Pros
LOVE teaching
Cons
Treated like cheap labour.
Fun workplace
Hospitality Porter (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 March 2017
A typical day would be putting orders away, making sure all the employees have their stock, all garbage is collected up at each unit, picking up catering and delivering, cleaning deep fryers and back of the kitchen.
The management here are hard workers they are always there when you need them. They have a lot of respect for their employees .
The workplace culture is great get to work with friendly loving people who help out and make each day a fun day at work.
There's nothing hard about the job just one of those jobs that you always have something to do non stop all day but I enjoy that kind of thing.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my team and meeting new people everyday.
Pros
Working with great team
Cons
Bad benefits
Nice school
Social Service Worker Program (Current Employee) –  Simcoe, ON13 February 2017
Overall, I learned a lot at Fanshawe College. I wish that there would have been more jobs available when I got out of school.
Pros
Free lunches and breakfast (sometimes)
Cons
Long class hours, heavy workload.
Lots of openings
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  London, UK8 February 2017
Job allows peer tutors to see changes in the curriculum and refresh hour knowledge while also helping fellow students.

Low paying job, but depending on the student the job can be rewarding.
Pros
Was straight forward to get a position
Cons
Slow management, ever changing rules and policies, min wage
contract teaching?-be careful!
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 January 2017
Fanshawe is not interested in quality teaching, at least in Health Sciences. Budget is their no.1 concern. They are quick to hire and fire, not based on performance, but whether you can fit their financial schemes. They have a very funny wage scale that goes up when you work between 5-12 hours/week. So they do everything to make sure you are below or above that, with no thought as to what effect that might have on their students.
Pros
students are great
Cons
management doesn't care about quality education
Peer Support
Peer Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 January 2017
Nice compliment to studies. Allows you the opportunity to teach what you have recently learned.

Allows you to take on as many students to support as your schedule allows
One of the most rewarding jobs...
Sales and Marketing Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  London, ON27 November 2016
Teaching brought so much joy to me each and every day... I thoroughly enjoyed going to work every day. NO day was typical.. each day was unique. The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye.
Cons
It was a temporary position
only part time but greea
Casual/Part time worker (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON17 November 2016
Worked at the school part time while i was completing my program. the campus chair is fantastic and knows everybody by name. It was nice of them to offer me work while i was studying
Productive and fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 August 2016
* Helping and solving customers needs
*Learned how to manage conflicts and listening skills
*Very nice and lively co-workers
* Not able to solve all their problems (hardest part)
*Putting smiles on their faces (Enjoyable)
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
a little challenging
Focus Group Coordinator: new territory!
Focus Group Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fanshawe College27 July 2016
I am currently working at Fanshawe College as a Focus Group Coordinator. I am on a part-time contract, therefore, I only work 24 hours per week. My typical day consists of me coming in and meeting with different departments about certain focus groups they want, for example, program reviews. After checking with the departments I start the process of organizing the groups by sending out reminder emails and mass invites. After conducting the groups I have to report back to my manager and give them updates about the group as well as the meeting notes. This type of research has proven to be very valuable for research purposes so there is definitely a need for it. I also help with research projects on the side. The hardest part of the job is that nobody has ever organized these focus groups successfully before so I don’t have anyone to give me advice as well as proper resources. The management is great and always helpful, however, because this is foreign territory it is hard for them to give me suggestions on how to improve---it is a lot of trial and error which can be frustrating. My coworkers are wonderful and always helpful, however, even though I am part of team I sometimes feel alone in my projects. I need to add to my experience and widen my career horizons.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
lack of personal resources

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fanshawe College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2