FAMILY VIDEO

FAMILY VIDEO Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Family Video is a store that is enjoyable that gives each employ an equal opportunity for advancement.
Sales associate (Current Employee), Latrobe, PAJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: free movies and half off game rentals.
Cons: hour may not be that long until you learn to open and close
A typical day at Family Video consists of working the drop box, which consists of checking in the returned movies and putting them back on the shelf. This requires organizational skill with all the different movie sections. I also work with customers, both in person and over the phone helping them check out movies and with any other problem they may – more... have. This job has taught me how to be organizational and work with people better over the phone. Management is not really felt at family video in my opinion, and this is because of all the jobs I have held I can do just as much concerning working with customers as any other person their. What I mean by this is the company lets me decide best how to help the customer, and not needing approval from a superior with my resulting decision. My co-workers are all around my age, and we all get along working together. The hardest part of the job I think is just knowing all the current deals that come through the store. The most enjoyable part of the job is just the amount of responsibility that is given to everyone, it does make the time spent their more enjoyable knowing that everyone has the same amount of power and responsibility. – less
Love/Hate relationship with FV
Customer Service Representative & Shift Leader (Former Employee), Roseville, MIDecember 9, 2013
Pros: awesome co-workers
Cons: no breaks, high turnover rate, inconsistent hours
The people I worked with were awesome. Unfortunately, upper management was atrocious and greedy and I did not enjoy working for them. If we ever went over payroll, then they didn't get their bonuses and they would blame others for their lost. Most of the time, we never needed more than one person after 10 PM, so I was often stuck closing the store by – more... myself. Being that I am only a 21 year old female, it was very uncomfortable being there alone at night. Also, you have to take deposits to the bank every day. It was very nerve wracking having over $500 on me at 12:30 AM after closing. There was nothing I could do though because it is a job requirement. I have heard multiple complaints from females feeling the same anxiety about closing the store and taking large deposits. You would think that our safety is the number one concern, but money comes first.
You don't get any breaks and upper management only gives you a raise if they know you will be working there for a long time. I was a part-time employee and was considered one of the most valuable employees according to my manager. Even so, I only got a 40 cent raise from minimum wage and I practically had to beg for it.
Overall, I loved my co-workers but hated how the company was ran. – less
Fun and empowering
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Davenport, IANovember 25, 2013
With a passion for movies and entertainment, it's no wonder I stayed with Family Video for so many years. There was a variety of people, fun work environment and always something to do.
Fun Place to work, always something to do, Strong company
Store Manager (Former Employee), Midland, MINovember 10, 2013
Pros: free movies, sales perks, fun atmosphere
Cons: long hours, no family time, alot of weekends
For Managers typical day was 10 hours always on your feet, you need to have a strong ability to multitask and strong Customers Service skills since they expect you to always go above and beyond for the customer. They pay well depending on the store you work in and expect you to work hard in the community to help grow the name
Fast pass environment. Geared mostly to part-time employees.
Part-time employee (Current Employee), Waterloo, ILNovember 6, 2013
Fast pass environment. Geared mostly to part-time employees.
Very fast paced and energy filled environment.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Clinton, IL, Urbana, ILNovember 4, 2013
Pros: rental benefits, fun co-workers
Cons: very demanding for managers, not a lot of home-life time
Great part time job for college students. Management positions are good for a single person or possibly a married person without children.
Great Place to Meet People
Customer Service (Former Employee), Medford, WIOctober 29, 2013
I enjoyed working at Family Video. It gave me great opportunity to meet and talk to all kinds of people. The manager was great. He was very personable and was very flexible with my school schedule at the time. The most difficult part of the job was getting the hours. When first hired you were only allowed to work weekends when 2 people were needed. – more... Some weeks you would only get 4 hours. I had to beg to learn how to open the store and even then I got only a 2 hour training period. I was there almost a year and never learned how to do more then work the counter and count inventory. As much as I asked, no one would teach me. I even offered to drive to a different store to learn and wasn't allowed to do that either – less
A fun enviroment but overall a morally bad company to work for.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Anderson, INOctober 20, 2013
Pros: fun enviornment, friendly co-workers
Cons: no breaks, unreliable management
A typical day at work was fun but productive. I enjoyed all of my co-workers and got along well with them. Management was not supportive of employees and often put us in difficult situations, which made for the worst part of the job.
the video
Customer Service (Former Employee), Genèva, NYOctober 17, 2013
Pros: repeat customers gotten to know
Cons: no advancement, new hires brought in chosen over old employees
worked their faithfully for over almost 6 yrs never late, only sick 1 time always covered for others, but had my hours cut over hires. was made promises of advancement, never got it. only got a mere .70 cent raise the time I was there was promised more new people started out at same or more than me.
Management is not supportive and if they do something – more... wrong they do the blame game and point the finger at someone else. the highlights were seeing the repeat customers I had grown to know and like. – less
Unique
Shift Lead (Former Employee), Stevens Point, WIOctober 14, 2013
Pros: friendly work environment
Cons: no advancement
The people who work there are a reflection of the manager. I've worked at 2 Family Videos and the one in Stevens Point was the best. The employees were all close friends. Once you're in you are family.
Productive and friendly environment
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), Decatur, ILOctober 4, 2013
Pros: pre-streets
Cons: no break rooms
Family Video is a great workplace. There are opportunities to grow and the tasks are easy to learn. The customers as well as the employees are friendly.
A typical day at work involves interacting with customers and trying to make sales other than the videos themselves. There is also non-stop movie returns that need to be returned to the shelved after – more... being processed;
The hardest part of this job in my opinion is making sales. Part of your pay is compensation so you have to try to get those sales in. The easiest part of the job is drop and customer interaction. If you're friendly and great with the public then this part comes easily.
All in all this job is wonderful and a job you would learn quickly in. – less
Productive fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Zanesville, OHSeptember 25, 2013
This is an extremely fun and energetic place to work, notice is more enjoyable then being able to assist people in many different ways. This is an extremely fast pace environment you must be on your best performance everyday in order to keep up with everyday tasks.
Great place to work.
Part time employee (Former Employee), Appleton, WISeptember 19, 2013
Pros: free movies
Cons: only part time mostly
Putting away movies, organizing shelves, getting to help customers with finding movies or even suggesting them.
Co-workers and managers all very friendly.
Hardest part was balancing a stack of movies while bending to reach the bottom shelf.
Very fun and lively environment.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Litchfield, ILSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: gave me lots of management experience, as often i was left to deal with every thing alone.
Cons: no breaks and often short staffed.
Really enjoyed teaching new employees the ropes, and being a part of a nationwide chain.
Great place to work with people who become your family.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Sharon, PASeptember 15, 2013
Pros: free movies!
Family Video is such a fun place to work. Everyday you get to greet the same lovely faces that you begin to know by name and in turn learn so many things about your customers that you know exactly what you can do to help them so that they can leave your store happy and satisfied. The management team is unbelievably amazing and that follows into the – more... corporate office. Everyone is so friendly and willing to help you do what it takes for you to succeed and make your way to the top! – less
Get to talk about movies all day!
Video clerk, sales representative and key holder (Current Employee), Frisco, TXSeptember 12, 2013
Cons: no breaks, constant customer confrontation about late fees.
Family video is a great place to work, especially as a student. I don't feel it is a great place to work financially if you don't live with your parents. As a student I have to juggle classes and work, and Family Video has done great to accommodate me here, however even making competitive commission it would not be enough to pay household bills without – more... my boyfriend who works at walmart. I work 34 hours a week and he works 40. We have a regular apartment with minimum bills and it's barely enough. My coworkers live at home and this job suits them very well. – less
Great vibes with some great people
Shift Leader (Former Employee), Paducah, KYSeptember 4, 2013
The best part about working at Family Video is the fun atmosphere they tried to create each and every day. This in turn, made for an awesome day with customers. I loved the people who came in regularly. You get to know them, what they like, who they are, and it was amazing to see some of the kids grow up while working there. The hardest part of the – more... job was being lied to by management on several different occasions. This made the job hard to handle, especially when raises and advancements that were promised never came. My co-workers were awesome people, each bringing something a little different to the table. I learned the true value of customer service here. Each and every day was all about the customers and that's what sets Family Video apart from other companies. – less
Fast Paced
Customer Service (Former Employee), Roseville, MIAugust 14, 2013
Pros: fun
Cons: no break
I learned at Family Video to be very patient. It was a place where I had 100% of the time direct contact with the customer.
Fun and Flexible
Assistant Manager/Sales Representative (Current Employee), Bradford, PAAugust 13, 2013
The customers are my most favorite part of working at Family Video. I've advanced fairly and at the pace I hoped, and the staff is a tight knit group who are always looking out for each other.
Productive and fun workplace.
Cashier & Store Clerk (Former Employee), Dayton, OHAugust 12, 2013
The job was fun. I really enjoyed stocking the shelves and organizing products. I got along with most of my co-workers. It was difficult to stand all day and not move around a lot, but overall I enjoyed working there.