FAMILY VIDEO

FAMILY VIDEO Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Surrounded by movies, but managed by incompetence
Video Rental Clerk (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONApril 23, 2014
Pros: free movies
Cons: everything else
days at work were long and filled with a lot of work that i usually did on my own. management was lazy and passed on most of their work to the people under them. my co-workers were unmotivated and unwilling to work as a team to ensure proper customer service.
horrible place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee), Grimsby, ONOctober 16, 2013
Pros: free movies
Cons: horrible hours and no breaks
there are no breaks... i mean they work you for hours. The district managers and regional managers ask way to much
They fired me because of my hair colour
Cashier and Stock (Former Employee), SarniaApril 21, 2013
I was working for them for almost 3 months and then they called me in to go meet the DM and instead of me meeting the DM they fired me because my hair was too offensive. ALL of the customers had complimented me on my hair colour and I have had multiple conversations about what kind it was because it was so pretty. The dye is a loreal box dye called "brown red" it's in no way bright or offensive. I had the most sales from that store, I was early and did work before, I cleaned up after my shift and everyone said I was super nice and friendly. They were being ridiculous and I'm pretty sure it's illegal to fire someone based on their appearance.
Terrible Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), CanadaOctober 14, 2012
They are the most disorganized and rude people I have ever had the pleasure to work with.
Fast paced environment with fun people
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee), Belleville, ILJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: free rentals, fun place
Cons: difficult to move up in company
A typical day at work consisted of helping customers locate movies within the store, replenishing the stock of movies that had been returned and ringing out customers. While being employed here, I learned much about how successful management is done. To this day, I still utilize the skills I have learned here. With all of my managers being very friendly and open, and even more so with my co-workers, it was a very pleasant environment to work in. The most difficult task was dealing with irate customers, most of which was just minor understandings on general policies. But overall, the most enjoyable thing about working at a movie store is being able to watch all your favorite movies at work!
Fun and friendly atmosphere.
District Manager (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: free movies, full benefits, 401k, and paid vacation.
Cons: wages could be higher.
Overall Family Video is a great company to work for. They provide a fun and friendly atmosphere with a lot of room for growth. Opportunity to move up in this company is vast.
Fun place to work
Shift Leader (Former Employee), KalamazooJanuary 18, 2015
Family Video was an action packed placed to work. It was busy and hectic, but employees still had fun. The company is very conservative, so no piercings or tattoos allowed that are visible. Management in store was great, however district managers fail to give employee reviews and potential raises on time, if at all.
Great job with good benefits for managers, great store managers, great high level mangement but poor district and regional management.
Manager (Former Employee), Bonham, TXJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: employee rentals, good customer interractions, and excellent scheduling.
Cons: no breaks even during 8+ hour shifts, very hard to progress past store manager.
Had an excellent time working at family video, loved the culture and small town customer appreciation. However mid-level management seemed to be club sort of atmosphere with barely any movement above store management.
UNSAFE
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Dallas, NCJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: half off rentals, pre-streets
Cons: everything else
I am a young small female. I worked ALONE late hours was required to take decent sized bank deposits ALONE at a bank that was on a back road. We rarely had a manager and when we did they would tell s to do opposite of our DM. Poor communication. Unsafe. Unprofessional.
Fun Environment, Severely Understaffed
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Butler, PAJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: free rentals, commission, movies!
Cons: no breaks, open 365 days, long days, uncertainty
This is a unique job where you get to watch movies while you work, and it's always easy to make small-talk with your customers. My coworkers were fantastic, we all really pulled our weight. We had a change in management, and were understaffed for a few months, this proved to be incredibly stressful. I ended up working very long shifts most days(10+ hours), and very short shifts others(3- hours). The hiring process is a bit much, and really left us shorthanded. I did many back-to-back shifts, and closed most nights, leaving after midnight, upwards of 1am. You also close alone here, which is bad news for stores in unsettling locations. You also work most holidays, I felt I lost touch with my personal life altogether here.
Fun job but stressful
Store Manager (Current Employee), New Albany, INJanuary 12, 2015
A fun a fast paced work environment, but expect to put in long hours.
Very fun atmosphere working with the public.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Scottsville, KYJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: teaching and learning at the same time
Cons: being able to deal with customers in a hostile enviornment
Opening the store, ordering, banking, HR responsibilities. I really enjoyed working with the public, in a social atmosphere. A typical day of management duties. Meeting new people, learning more about the community. Taking measures in Disciplinary Actions, and positive work balance for the employees. Setting up reward projects to give my team more incentives on working 100%.
Productive fun work place while meeting the needs of our customers
Store Manager (Current Employee), Dunkirk, NYJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: fun, fast paced enviornment
Cons: no breaks
Everyday I most count all money in the store to make sure is correct and accurate for my reports. Then I run to the bank to picked up all deposit slips. Then I must make sure that all inventory logs and coupon logs were completed and signed by all employees. Then I have to check payroll to make sure that all employees clocked in and clocked out at the right times. And make sure that if they took a deposit it shows in the reports. Some things I've learned is how to lead by example. Managing a team is about telling your employees what to do. Its about showing them and motivating them to do as you do. And most of all have fun doing it. The hardest part of my job is keeping everyone motivated when Im not working. The most enjoyable part of my job is my customers. Being able to connect with my customers with something as simple as a dvd and a bluray amazes me.
Very fun work culture. Learn on the job model
Store Manager (Former Employee), Springfield, ILJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: free rentals
Cons: many unpaid overtime hours
As store manager I would run the show. I was on the front line with customers all day helping them find what they wanted, making suggestions, upselling other products to add to their orders. I led by example. I interviewed, hired, and trained an entirely new staff in a very short ammount of time to reboot a struggeling store in a small town. we were recognised veru quickly and I was asked to speak to my peers several times about my hiring and training habbits and why we were so succesful.
Very fun atmosphere and fast paced
Store Manager (Former Employee), Belleville, ILJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: free movie rentals and great atmosphere
Cons: not enough compensation for the amount of hours you had to put in
I would get to the store in the morning and check labor to see how the night shift did. Then I would check our revenue to make sure we were still progressing and if we weren't I would like at our sales reports to see where we were lacking and take note of it. I would then inform my employees of what we need to improve on. I took a lot of pride that my revenue was always up and I made a point of it for it to stay that way. I would then open the store and put movies away and make numerous phone calls inviting customers into the stores and reminding them of all our specials. Once I had my first employee come in I would update them on the days to do list and then sit down and interview anywhere from 3-6 people (depending on the day). I would then work on any managerial duties I had for the day again depending on what day it was because everyday I had a different list of goals and priorities. I had great co workers but I might be a little biased because I got to hire them. The hardest part of the job was that I always felt behind no matter how long I was there. But that was part of the job. I loved the fact that I got to talk about movies with everyone and that was the foundation of my job. It is a lot of fun being so knowledgeable of everything that is coming out or has come out.
Fun and great atomsphere
Customer Service (Former Employee), Streator, IlJanuary 5, 2015
The management worked well with schedules.
There were great perks.
Very nice environment.
The whole family video team was fun to work with.
depends
Store Manager (Former Employee), Elmira, NYDecember 24, 2014
Pros: solid pay, free movie rentals
Cons: no breaks
Really depends on who you work for every dm and rm has power to do things their own way.
A great college job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXDecember 22, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule and coworkers
Cons: rate of pay
I enjoyed my time at Family Video. For the most part there was great management and very flexible hours. It worked well with my school schedule to have this part-time job. There was a lot of independence that came with the job in opening and closing the store. There would be hours spent managing the store on your own. It taught me responsibility and how to manage my time effectively. I gathered deposits, cleaned the store, did sales, assisted customers and balanced the drawer.

My coworkers were hard workers that were also going through school and it was a rewarding experience. I enjoyed setting the store up to be opened and in maintaining it's cleanliness.
Day in the Life at Family Video
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Anderson, INDecember 13, 2014
Typical day at work includes checking movies out onto customer's account, trying to upsell each customer to one of our many deals, scanning in rental returns, restocking the store, and keeping up on the daily cleaning duties. The most enjoyable part about the job is the customers and the co-workers. I can honestly say that I like all the people tha I work with.
Horrible Job with even worse management
Sales Rep (Former Employee), Mexico, MODecember 11, 2014
During my time of employment working here there would be times I would be called in from home to change the letters on the sign then sent right back home when I was done. Allowing me to work for 30 min a day before sending me home and not scheduling me anymore time.

1 2 3 4 5