22-year-old guy with multiple disabilities seeks a full-time assistant for adventures, making a difference, and lounging around coffee shops. Current assistant is returning to school full time.
- accompanying me to work, volunteer, hang out, and do fun stuff
- working with me to connect with people and build relationships
- looking for new opportunities to explore
- translating/liaising between me and everyone else- often people need a little help to figure out how I communicate
- work with me as a teammate at work, volunteering, etc
The ideal sidekick will:
- have an interest in social justice/human rights
- like or at least be okay with swimming pools (I stay where I can touch the bottom- nothing super intense)
- be okay with being around animals
- have an open mind and be willing to challenge your and others' assumptions
- have a valid driver's license and be a relatively competent driver
- be relatively physically healthy and willing/able to lift things (within reason! I'm looking for a sidekick, not a superhero)
- be comfortable with providing personal care
- be creative
- have a sense of humour
A background in disability studies or experience in inclusive community support work is an asset, but not required- it’s more important to find the right match. Having your own car is preferred.
Benefits include a competitive wage (starting at $18/hour), paid training, ongoing support and mentorship, flexible hours, opportunities for ongoing professional development, possibility of health benefits, and doing cool things.
Tentative start dates: part time starting July 22, full time starting August 6 (subject to change). Hours are flexible and can vary, but will be approximately 30-35 hours a week, generally between the hours of 9:00 to 4:00 weekdays.