Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews

Good place to start with in hospitality industry
In Room Dining Server (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 December 2016
Working in an unionized workplace, rates and benefits are not complained. Co-workers are very friendly, but some people are very lazy because they have been their for 25 years and they know job security is high so they don't bother do much. I learn that if you got a job here, it's worth to apply for Marriott or Hilton because growth is limited (e.g: cross training and schedule depends on your seniority)
Pros
benefits and wages
Cons
seniority
Everything Great but Management
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB30 November 2016
Corporate puts a lot of emphasis on how to treat the guest but it instead needs to teach how to treat the team. Management speaks frequently on how to respect each other, however, set the worst example. There are several great managers, however, there are even more managers who focus on the negative of their employees, put their employees down without trying to develop them as a worker, and blame others for their horrible organization. They try to down put to train which is pretty old school and the managers who are complained about to corporate simply get a slap on the wrist and continue on. Just a very negative, bully-ish environment in a good chunk of the departments where team work and caring about each other would be essential. I would suggest when working here to interview your manager to ensure you know them well enough prior to starting. They're not all bad!
Full support
Prep Cook/Garde Manger/Cafeteria Attentdant (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB28 January 2017
Thankful for my Sou Chefs, co-worker, close friends and friends and other people who works for other department. I've learned a lot from this hotel especially cooking skills that I gained from them.The management who treated us fairly and the most all the company who always helped the Foreign Contract Workers, most of them got their PR now and even got their citizenship thru the AINP Program. Thank you for all your support and excellent company.
Pros
Fabulous, name it and you got it.
Cons
nothing I can say about disadvantages for this company, but tons of snow .
Chateau Lake Louise
Banquet Leader (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB23 January 2017
It was a life changing experience and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Would go back in a heart beat. The hours were long but the work environment was positive and upbeat
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Seasonally long hours
Fun work place
Hotel Room Attendant - Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 December 2016
Good Company and Benefits. Have a chance to enhance your ability and career path. People i worked in this company is very helpful and always have team work.
Ample opportunity to learn and grow
Cook (Current Employee) –  Fairmont hotels1 December 2016
Very large company, your choices are limitless once you get your foot in the door.
There are employees of all different abilities and levels of experience to learn from.
You have the opportunity to travel to different countries/continents to work for other properties.
Hardest part of my job is the sheer volume of guests we serve day in and day out.
Most enjoyable part of my job, I get to cook good food for guests and make them happy.
Pros
Benefits, oportunities for growth, culinary experiences
Cons
demanding, stressful
Impressive place to work for
Housekeeping Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Fairmont Hot Springs, BC7 January 2017
I am pleased to say Fairmont Hot Springs was the best place I had ever worked for.

A typical day at work would be to sign in, get your assignment sheet and key for the day, grab stock for linen closet, go to your floor, stock up your closet and cart, and work accordingly depending upon assignment sheet. I have learned that working here is not as crazy as it would be in a any other city hotel. I also have learned to master my job with having deep cleaning introduced to my schedule. Management was the best to work for, always looked out for their workers, bore empathy, and was very fair to each person within every department. Co-workers were also great, easy to get along with,. The hardest part of the job where slow days where there wasn't much to do, and you had to find things to do if management didn't have anything for you to do. My most enjoyable part of the job was that our employers interacted with us all of the time; they encouraged us within and outside of our roles. They treated us like family!
Pros
free soup lunches, great discounts throughout resort on food and merchandise
Cons
You're only allowed to live in Staff accomodation for a year, its hard to find permanent residency here.
Best place I've ever worked
House Person (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, BC18 March 2016
Such a great group of staff!! You work hard and feel accomplished by the end of the day. The company motivates you and encourages advancement from within. Manager are always available to talk if any issues come up and things are quickly resolved. I will stay working with this company as long as I can!
Pros
Staff meals, benefits, hourly wage, coworkers, beautiful location, hotel history
Cons
Expensive parkade parking
was a contractor for a couple of months
Accounting Clerk (Contract - Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2016
cheap meals
free dry cleaning
great location
good work perks

everyone is friendly

near the ttc and is downtown

management was visible to employees
Pros
free lunch, dry cleaning
Amazing Property
HOUSEKEEPING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB6 January 2017
Being in the Canadian rockies it has a breath taking view from the property. Property have different national colleagues which gives us to learn about different cultures and lifestyles.
Hotel with a rich history with the city. Great staff to work with.
CDP (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 November 2016
Hotel rich in history. Recently completed 100yrs. Small kitchen but a great team. Chefs always pushing for betterment of the staff and the guest. Good benefits. Free use of gym and pool on weekends.
Memorable...just ignore the negative aspects
Houseman (Former Employee) –  Fairmont Hot Springs, BC13 June 2016
My experience working there was awesome for the most part. The manager in my department and HR Manger need a lot more refined in their people skills as well as effective communication. Sometimes, "some" managers can get pretty nasty towards how they treat staff, and allowed to get away with it.
Very friendly atmosphere among employees.
Free lunch on shift, but you get what you pay for (leftovers and soup, mostly)
Needed to get creative for entertainment beyond alcohol when not on shift.

Ignoring the bad elements, my experience at Fairmont was a memorable one

The GM is not afraid to head into one of the departments like the Housekeeping department and work a shift
Pros
Discounts, gorgeous location, shuttle to work, free lunch
Cons
No shuttle from work for day workers, lunch is usually leftovers, management can get pretty nasty towards employees at times
Utility 3, maintenance (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BC28 January 2017
Yes I worked their, it has been great but I'm ready to move on. The benefits are great and the wadge is fair. They offer a staff cafeteria that serves lunch and dinner, and has a salad bar!
Excellent Work Environment
Spa Attendant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 January 2017
-Provided accurate, appropriate and immediate responses to all requests by guests, ensuring complete guest satisfaction
-Good Management
- Fun place to work
Do not work here
Nunya (Former Employee) –  Biznass17 June 2016
Management:

-HR is a joke so don't expect any human rights for employees. (HR manager is share bought sell out married into Fairmont ie: inbred scam artist) DOUCHE BAG!!

-The rest of upper management is gone home by 3 or probably on the golf course so management is among the worst (speaks for the quality of the company, cellar dwellers), so if you are someone who likes to work for a good company, FHSR rates at the very bottom.

Pay:

-with a $15/hr poverty line FHSR keeps employees at or below while trying to gain the rest back through slum staff accom./lunch etc. If you want to be dirt poor and work with coke heads, work at FHSR.

Staff Accommodation:

Absolute worst expensive disgusting slum you would ever see if you decide to work at this s#!+ hole which I don't recommend.

*could go on and on, anyone with any patience or customer service experience will want to hold out for a better company, I cannot stress enough that FHSR is among the worst companies to work for, or perhaps a polite way of wording it is that there are good companies to work for and Fairmont DOES DOT compare.
Pros
Cons
To many to list.
Vibrant, exciting and ever changing - for the adventurer!
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB1 June 2016
Wonderful company, and amazing co-workers. Also, I can't forget to mention living in Lake Louise, Alberta definitely added to the awesome experience!
I would recommend to anyone wanting to explore new places, meet new people and try new things all while working for a great company to apply at the Fairmont Hotels and Resorts somewhere around the World!
Pros
Great food, great company, lovely accommodations, beautiful mountain setting, many perks/discounts at other Fairmont hotels and resorts, many opportunities for advancement and getting involved in company events/functions/volunteering/etc, lots of opportunity for overtime
Great company to work for!
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Scotland, ON15 September 2016
I would highly recommend anybody to work for Fairmont Hotels and Resorts. Its a super company and the work/life balance was great.
Great Luxury experience
Executive Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 December 2016
Always working towards creating a a great work environment and exceeding guest expectations. A company with a great vision for the future. Great opportunities to transfer within the company.
Friendly, fun workplace, flexible
Mini bar attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2017
It's a nice place to work and have fun with the team. Team work and people are friendly. Flexible, have an opportunity to across work a different department or transfer to another hotel.
Pros
Free lunch on birthday
Beautiful, hotel in the Canadian Rockies
Banquets Server (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB15 January 2017
Supporting company with transfer opportunities globally.

Fast paced. Good pay and supervision.

Varied work load and opportunities. Wonderful staff accommodation and facilities.

4.3