Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews

Best place I've ever worked
House Person (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, BCMarch 18, 2016
Such a great group of staff!! You work hard and feel accomplished by the end of the day. The company motivates you and encourages advancement from within. Manager are always available to talk if any issues come up and things are quickly resolved. I will stay working with this company as long as I can!
Pros
Staff meals, benefits, hourly wage, coworkers, beautiful location, hotel history
Cons
Expensive parkade parking
Not as nice as it sounds
RMT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 6, 2016
Horrible management and unfair working conditions. Schedule changes without any notice and manager making staff cry.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Long hours without overtime
An excellent international Luxury Hotel Brand Focused on Personal Touches
CHEF DE PARTIE JUNE (Former Employee) –  Jasper AB , Southampton BermudaOctober 27, 2015
Fairmont provides all the tools one needs to drive their career forward. The support and training they provide colleagues gives them the ability to drive company goals.

Each day is a challenging balance of pressures and rewards. The culture of the company fosters a feeling of teamwork and family
Pros
Superior Benefits package
Cons
Remote Locations
Great relationships Built
Colleague (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 27, 2016
The company provides the opportunity to make lots of great relationships and build skills that are very transferable.
Benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Memorable...just ignore the negative aspects
Houseman (Former Employee) –  Fairmont Hot Springs, BCJune 13, 2016
My experience working there was awesome for the most part. The manager in my department and HR Manger need a lot more refined in their people skills as well as effective communication. Sometimes, "some" managers can get pretty nasty towards how they treat staff, and allowed to get away with it.
Very friendly atmosphere among employees.
Free lunch on shift, but you get what you pay for (leftovers and soup, mostly)
Needed to get creative for entertainment beyond alcohol when not on shift.

Ignoring the bad elements, my experience at Fairmont was a memorable one

The GM is not afraid to head into one of the departments like the Housekeeping department and work a shift
Pros
Discounts, gorgeous location, shuttle to work, free lunch
Cons
No shuttle from work for day workers, lunch is usually leftovers, management can get pretty nasty towards employees at times
Vibrant, exciting and ever changing - for the adventurer!
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, ABJune 1, 2016
Wonderful company, and amazing co-workers. Also, I can't forget to mention living in Lake Louise, Alberta definitely added to the awesome experience!
I would recommend to anyone wanting to explore new places, meet new people and try new things all while working for a great company to apply at the Fairmont Hotels and Resorts somewhere around the World!
Pros
Great food, great company, lovely accommodations, beautiful mountain setting, many perks/discounts at other Fairmont hotels and resorts, many opportunities for advancement and getting involved in company events/functions/volunteering/etc, lots of opportunity for overtime
Do not work here
Nunya (Former Employee) –  BiznassJune 17, 2016
Management:

-HR is a joke so don't expect any human rights for employees. (HR manager is share bought sell out married into Fairmont ie: inbred scam artist) DOUCHE BAG!!

-The rest of upper management is gone home by 3 or probably on the golf course so management is among the worst (speaks for the quality of the company, cellar dwellers), so if you are someone who likes to work for a good company, FHSR rates at the very bottom.

Pay:

-with a $15/hr poverty line FHSR keeps employees at or below while trying to gain the rest back through slum staff accom./lunch etc. If you want to be dirt poor and work with coke heads, work at FHSR.

Staff Accommodation:

Absolute worst expensive disgusting slum you would ever see if you decide to work at this s#!+ hole which I don't recommend.

*could go on and on, anyone with any patience or customer service experience will want to hold out for a better company, I cannot stress enough that FHSR is among the worst companies to work for, or perhaps a polite way of wording it is that there are good companies to work for and Fairmont DOES DOT compare.
Pros
Cons
To many to list.
Professional and fast paced environment with extreme attention to detail.
Guest Service Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 14, 2016
• Day to day I would drive hotel guests, including celebrities around the city of edmonton or the airport. I also gave city tours from time to time.

• I learned how to advance my professionalism and social skills.

• I dealt with multiple managers and learned a greater respect for all of them.

• I worked with 250 employees in total, and along side the belldesk team hand in hand, so I have always loved other people, and this job gave me the opportunity to get to know many of them.

• Dealing with the Fort Mac guest was very difficult as tears were flowing and I personally made up help and relief flyers with viable information for them. Also we had terminal children stay with us which was heartbreaking. But doing something special for them made their stay a little better.

• Everyday I got to see new people and high end guests. Not only each and every unique interaction was special, but I learned many new things and got to meet hundreds of celebrities.
Pros
Cheap lunches/buffet style
Cons
unorganized managers at times
Interesting
Hostess (Former Employee) –  La Malbaie, QCJanuary 29, 2016
I think it was just because of my experience with them. I did loved my co-workers. Management was great in some parts but they could be very harsh. I learned my strength and my weakness big time and my managers made sure I knew my weakness. The job can be very stressful and taxing. A typical day for me was I welcomed clients that would enter in the restaurant and seat them down at tables. I managed the tables and the coffee bar. In all think the reason why I kinda loved my experience were my friends that I made.
(I'm saying in my opinion based on my experience.)
Pros
Tips, beautiful view
Cons
management, sporadic hours
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Long hours, random schedule, low level management is generally unhelpful in larger issues, HR is excellent, sometimes no breaks
energetic activities
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 9, 2016
when you enter at work site always wear a smile greet each and everyone have a group meetings talking about latest endorements and concernes apply the magic words of the day which is given by the manager and enjoy the work whole day.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Very product and fun place to work
Overnight kitchen cleaner (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, ABSeptember 21, 2016
Working at the Fairmont Chatue lake Louise was one of the best experiences I've ever had in my life! They really cared about me as a whole person, it's very diversed, I could go on and on, but overall it is a great place to work and live.
Pros
Cheap breakfast, lunch and dinner
Cons
Can't work more than 12hrs in a shift :D
it's a good place to learn and advance in the hospitality industry
Head Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  Jasper, ABJanuary 18, 2016
I started out at the age of 18 as a dish washer and within 4 years have advanced to Head Storekeeper. I was given the experience to make executive decisions that was fully supported by upper management. Working their helped to refine important skills that will help me out in the future.
Pros
cheap rent pay deducted
Cons
did not make enough
Many people just work there for the pay
Customer Service Agent, Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  La Malbaie, QCSeptember 10, 2016
Many employees work half heartedly, not doing the work. They are not shy to say "if it wasn't for the pay I wouldn'the be here" but the majority are 18-35 that have this attitude.

The celebration of different occasions are awesome.
Pros
Cheap hotel rates
Cons
Many
Amazing Company
Administrative Assistant to VP of Treasury (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
Fairmont Hotels is a great company to work for. I enjoy working here with the staff that is ever encouraging and professional. Fairmont has great benefits and a fantastic work environment.
Pros
Candy Fridays, Tim Horton Wednesdays, Summer Flex Hours
Cons
Commuting into toronto, can not work from home
Amazing workplace, with very friendly colleagues
Junior Server (Former Employee) –  VancouverOctober 18, 2015
My time working as an employee of the Fairmont was unforgettable. My colleagues were amazing and genuine people, who were all supportive, and hard workers. I really appreciated the management here, as they all were genuine, easy to talk to, and never failed to be there when you needed something. One of my favourite parts of this job was the opportunity they provided all employees to make a guests stay. Wether that meant surprise them with a dessert, or candy, or just something to personalize and engage with them, and to make their stay that much better. I loved working here and would recommend it to anyone.
Pros
lunches provided, support from colleagues
Cons
late hours
What a beautiful hotel in the Rockies, more like paradise
Server (Current Employee) –  Banff, ABSeptember 23, 2016
It's not too bad living here in Banff when it feels a lot like paradise. It's so easy going into your workplace when you know you'll have a great time and make great connections.
Travel benefits are key
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, ABOctober 20, 2015
great people with lots of knowledge that are willing to teach you if your willing to learn. lots of room to move up. one person i worked with went from 1st cook to sous chef in 2 years.
Pros
travel benefits
Cons
long hours/weeks
Decent place to work
HOTEL OPERATIONS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Jasper, ABOctober 17, 2015
Good company with nice perks. Beautiful location and good product. Opportunities for advancement & education. Some red tape and politics, as expected within a larger company.
A good place to work, considering the environment
Banquet Head Houseperson (Current Employee) –  Lake Louise, ABMarch 10, 2015
A beautiful hotel with some wonderful management in place. Difficulties include a highly transient work force, and some colleagues being there for the lifestyle and not the career. A great place to learn very quickly, wonderful benefits and wage. Definitely would recommend for anyone young or starting out in Hospitality. The lifestyle is very hard to sustain for a long period of time for most.
Pros
benefits, wage, geography, learning environment, constant opportunities
Cons
very choice lifestyle, very isolated, highly transient

4.3