Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews

Ample opportunity to learn and grow
Cook (Current Employee) –  Fairmont hotels1 December 2016
Very large company, your choices are limitless once you get your foot in the door.
There are employees of all different abilities and levels of experience to learn from.
You have the opportunity to travel to different countries/continents to work for other properties.
Hardest part of my job is the sheer volume of guests we serve day in and day out.
Most enjoyable part of my job, I get to cook good food for guests and make them happy.
Pros
Benefits, oportunities for growth, culinary experiences
Cons
demanding, stressful
Everything Great but Management
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB30 November 2016
Corporate puts a lot of emphasis on how to treat the guest but it instead needs to teach how to treat the team. Management speaks frequently on how to respect each other, however, set the worst example. There are several great managers, however, there are even more managers who focus on the negative of their employees, put their employees down without trying to develop them as a worker, and blame others for their horrible organization. They try to down put to train which is pretty old school and the managers who are complained about to corporate simply get a slap on the wrist and continue on. Just a very negative, bully-ish environment in a good chunk of the departments where team work and caring about each other would be essential. I would suggest when working here to interview your manager to ensure you know them well enough prior to starting. They're not all bad!
Hotel with a rich history with the city. Great staff to work with.
CDP (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 November 2016
Hotel rich in history. Recently completed 100yrs. Small kitchen but a great team. Chefs always pushing for betterment of the staff and the guest. Good benefits. Free use of gym and pool on weekends.
Busy
Banquet Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 November 2016
I only worked there during the Vancouver 2010 Olympics, and it was a lot of fun. Great experience with great people. The banquet rooms were insanely fun.
What a beautiful hotel in the Rockies, more like paradise
Server (Current Employee) –  Banff, AB23 September 2016
It's not too bad living here in Banff when it feels a lot like paradise. It's so easy going into your workplace when you know you'll have a great time and make great connections.
Very product and fun place to work
Overnight kitchen cleaner (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB21 September 2016
Working at the Fairmont Chatue lake Louise was one of the best experiences I've ever had in my life! They really cared about me as a whole person, it's very diversed, I could go on and on, but overall it is a great place to work and live.
Pros
Cheap breakfast, lunch and dinner
Cons
Can't work more than 12hrs in a shift :D
Great company to work for!
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Scotland, ON15 September 2016
I would highly recommend anybody to work for Fairmont Hotels and Resorts. Its a super company and the work/life balance was great.
Many people just work there for the pay
Customer Service Agent, Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  La Malbaie, QC10 September 2016
Many employees work half heartedly, not doing the work. They are not shy to say "if it wasn't for the pay I wouldn'the be here" but the majority are 18-35 that have this attitude.

The celebration of different occasions are awesome.
Pros
Cheap hotel rates
Cons
Many
A great company with a wonderful vision
Server (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB20 June 2016
I very much enjoyed my experience working for Fairmont Hotels & Resorts. The company goes out of their way to insure guest satisfaction and stands by their vision and goal to "turn moments into memories".
Do not work here
Nunya (Former Employee) –  Biznass17 June 2016
Management:

-HR is a joke so don't expect any human rights for employees. (HR manager is share bought sell out married into Fairmont ie: inbred scam artist) DOUCHE BAG!!

-The rest of upper management is gone home by 3 or probably on the golf course so management is among the worst (speaks for the quality of the company, cellar dwellers), so if you are someone who likes to work for a good company, FHSR rates at the very bottom.

Pay:

-with a $15/hr poverty line FHSR keeps employees at or below while trying to gain the rest back through slum staff accom./lunch etc. If you want to be dirt poor and work with coke heads, work at FHSR.

Staff Accommodation:

Absolute worst expensive disgusting slum you would ever see if you decide to work at this s#!+ hole which I don't recommend.

*could go on and on, anyone with any patience or customer service experience will want to hold out for a better company, I cannot stress enough that FHSR is among the worst companies to work for, or perhaps a polite way of wording it is that there are good companies to work for and Fairmont DOES DOT compare.
Pros
Cons
To many to list.
Professional and fast paced environment with extreme attention to detail.
Guest Service Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 June 2016
• Day to day I would drive hotel guests, including celebrities around the city of edmonton or the airport. I also gave city tours from time to time.

• I learned how to advance my professionalism and social skills.

• I dealt with multiple managers and learned a greater respect for all of them.

• I worked with 250 employees in total, and along side the belldesk team hand in hand, so I have always loved other people, and this job gave me the opportunity to get to know many of them.

• Dealing with the Fort Mac guest was very difficult as tears were flowing and I personally made up help and relief flyers with viable information for them. Also we had terminal children stay with us which was heartbreaking. But doing something special for them made their stay a little better.

• Everyday I got to see new people and high end guests. Not only each and every unique interaction was special, but I learned many new things and got to meet hundreds of celebrities.
Pros
Cheap lunches/buffet style
Cons
unorganized managers at times
Memorable...just ignore the negative aspects
Houseman (Former Employee) –  Fairmont Hot Springs, BC13 June 2016
My experience working there was awesome for the most part. The manager in my department and HR Manger need a lot more refined in their people skills as well as effective communication. Sometimes, "some" managers can get pretty nasty towards how they treat staff, and allowed to get away with it.
Very friendly atmosphere among employees.
Free lunch on shift, but you get what you pay for (leftovers and soup, mostly)
Needed to get creative for entertainment beyond alcohol when not on shift.

Ignoring the bad elements, my experience at Fairmont was a memorable one

The GM is not afraid to head into one of the departments like the Housekeeping department and work a shift
Pros
Discounts, gorgeous location, shuttle to work, free lunch
Cons
No shuttle from work for day workers, lunch is usually leftovers, management can get pretty nasty towards employees at times
Amazing Company
Administrative Assistant to VP of Treasury (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 June 2016
Fairmont Hotels is a great company to work for. I enjoy working here with the staff that is ever encouraging and professional. Fairmont has great benefits and a fantastic work environment.
Pros
Candy Fridays, Tim Horton Wednesdays, Summer Flex Hours
Cons
Commuting into toronto, can not work from home
Vibrant, exciting and ever changing - for the adventurer!
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB1 June 2016
Wonderful company, and amazing co-workers. Also, I can't forget to mention living in Lake Louise, Alberta definitely added to the awesome experience!
I would recommend to anyone wanting to explore new places, meet new people and try new things all while working for a great company to apply at the Fairmont Hotels and Resorts somewhere around the World!
Pros
Great food, great company, lovely accommodations, beautiful mountain setting, many perks/discounts at other Fairmont hotels and resorts, many opportunities for advancement and getting involved in company events/functions/volunteering/etc, lots of opportunity for overtime
Productive and happy place
Casual Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 May 2016
There is definitely a room to grow working with Fairmont staff. You will never matter how hard or tired you are because you are as well enjoying work with your colleagues. It`s definitely a happy and productive place.
Great opportunities
HOSTESS (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB29 May 2016
At one point there was great opportunities to move up. As well it had a great work environment and home environment. I learned alot from the job i had but to potential for advancement quickly ended.
Pros
free lunch
Fairmont Family
Maintenance Person Level 1 (Current Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB5 May 2016
Within the hotel we are all family. We see each other every day and understand the importance of working together towards a common goal: to create the Fairmont experience for all of our guests.
Good opportunity
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB30 April 2016
Good place to learn and grow. With shift work it is hard to find work life balance. Some great and some horrible leadership. A place to learn and move on. Winters are hard unless you ski.
Pros
low cost living provided
Cons
sometimes stuck with poor leadership
Not as nice as it sounds
RMT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 April 2016
Horrible management and unfair working conditions. Schedule changes without any notice and manager making staff cry.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Long hours without overtime
Best place I've ever worked
House Person (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, BC18 March 2016
Such a great group of staff!! You work hard and feel accomplished by the end of the day. The company motivates you and encourages advancement from within. Manager are always available to talk if any issues come up and things are quickly resolved. I will stay working with this company as long as I can!
Pros
Staff meals, benefits, hourly wage, coworkers, beautiful location, hotel history
Cons
Expensive parkade parking

4.3