Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews

One of the best employers for summer jobs
Housekeeping Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB14 March 2017
Worked in Lake Loiuse in summer as a housekeeper, best summer working experience I ever had, good salary, very supportive team and management culture, great working environment, nice view and very attractive benefit including subsidized food, living (in staff building) and best of all employee's big discount for their family to live in any Fairmont hotels/resorts around world! Highly recommended to students who look for summer job with great money and work experience!
Pros
employee discount, susidized meal and living
Cons
busy, heavy load and demanding work load
Good place to start with in hospitality industry
In Room Dining Server (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 December 2016
Working in an unionized workplace, rates and benefits are not complained. Co-workers are very friendly, but some people are very lazy because they have been their for 25 years and they know job security is high so they don't bother do much. I learn that if you got a job here, it's worth to apply for Marriott or Hilton because growth is limited (e.g: cross training and schedule depends on your seniority)
Pros
benefits and wages
Cons
seniority
Ample opportunity to learn and grow
Cook (Current Employee) –  Fairmont hotels1 December 2016
Very large company, your choices are limitless once you get your foot in the door.
There are employees of all different abilities and levels of experience to learn from.
You have the opportunity to travel to different countries/continents to work for other properties.
Hardest part of my job is the sheer volume of guests we serve day in and day out.
Most enjoyable part of my job, I get to cook good food for guests and make them happy.
Pros
Benefits, oportunities for growth, culinary experiences
Cons
demanding, stressful
Overall experience
Kitchen & Bar - (Server) (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB21 February 2017
- Work environment was outstanding
- Company cares about employees
- Working for the company allows for a variety of benefits
- Best Customer Service training of many hotels
Pros
free food, benefits, great locations
Fun work place
Hotel Room Attendant - Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 December 2016
Good Company and Benefits. Have a chance to enhance your ability and career path. People i worked in this company is very helpful and always have team work.
Utility 3, maintenance (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BC28 January 2017
Yes I worked their, it has been great but I'm ready to move on. The benefits are great and the wadge is fair. They offer a staff cafeteria that serves lunch and dinner, and has a salad bar!
Hotel with a rich history with the city. Great staff to work with.
CDP (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 November 2016
Hotel rich in history. Recently completed 100yrs. Small kitchen but a great team. Chefs always pushing for betterment of the staff and the guest. Good benefits. Free use of gym and pool on weekends.
Positive and friendly work environment.
Steward Helper (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 February 2017
Typical day: Regular routine consists of collecting dirty dishes & culinary equipment to wash and distribute. If time is managed well, everything can go smoothly.

Learned to manage time more effectively and prepare in advance for efficiency.

Management usually interactive and nice.

Workplace culture: Some discrimination between positions/duties.

Hardest part: dealing with other staff member' negative emotions.

Most enjoyable part: Good department (stewarding) encouraging teamwork and positive vibes.
Pros
Free food for staff
Cons
Not enough hours.
Full support
Prep Cook/Garde Manger/Cafeteria Attentdant (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB28 January 2017
Thankful for my Sou Chefs, co-worker, close friends and friends and other people who works for other department. I've learned a lot from this hotel especially cooking skills that I gained from them.The management who treated us fairly and the most all the company who always helped the Foreign Contract Workers, most of them got their PR now and even got their citizenship thru the AINP Program. Thank you for all your support and excellent company.
Pros
Fabulous, name it and you got it.
Cons
nothing I can say about disadvantages for this company, but tons of snow .
Everything Great but Management
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB30 November 2016
Corporate puts a lot of emphasis on how to treat the guest but it instead needs to teach how to treat the team. Management speaks frequently on how to respect each other, however, set the worst example. There are several great managers, however, there are even more managers who focus on the negative of their employees, put their employees down without trying to develop them as a worker, and blame others for their horrible organization. They try to down put to train which is pretty old school and the managers who are complained about to corporate simply get a slap on the wrist and continue on. Just a very negative, bully-ish environment in a good chunk of the departments where team work and caring about each other would be essential. I would suggest when working here to interview your manager to ensure you know them well enough prior to starting. They're not all bad!
Amazing employee culture
Human Resource Intern (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 February 2017
I was extremely pleasantly surprised with the employee culture and how positive it was. I was very lucky to be part of the team behind the promotion of employee morale and development.
I really enjoyed my time as an intern at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier. The team was very small and though I was unable to be hired on due to the lack of positions available, I learned a lot.
Chateau Lake Louise
Banquet Leader (Former Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB23 January 2017
It was a life changing experience and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Would go back in a heart beat. The hours were long but the work environment was positive and upbeat
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Seasonally long hours
Overall working here- it was a let down- but the people made it worth it
First Cook (Current Employee) –  Lake Louise, AB1 March 2017
beautiful location , stunning scenery and views- overall my experience was okay - I mean you meet a lot of great people and that makes it worth while but for me for my career- it was 50 steps back and a punch in the face - it has taught me a lot but it's just not the path I want to take I want to experience all hospitality has to offer.
Pros
Great friends- snow- hikes- scenery - the lake- snowboarding -
Cons
Hourly wage, living accommodation
Amazing Company
Administrative Assistant to VP of Treasury (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 June 2016
Fairmont Hotels is a great company to work for. I enjoy working here with the staff that is ever encouraging and professional. Fairmont has great benefits and a fantastic work environment.
Pros
Candy Fridays, Tim Horton Wednesdays, Summer Flex Hours
Cons
Commuting into toronto, can not work from home
Best place I've ever worked
House Person (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, BC18 March 2016
Such a great group of staff!! You work hard and feel accomplished by the end of the day. The company motivates you and encourages advancement from within. Manager are always available to talk if any issues come up and things are quickly resolved. I will stay working with this company as long as I can!
Pros
Staff meals, benefits, hourly wage, coworkers, beautiful location, hotel history
Cons
Expensive parkade parking
Impressive place to work for
Housekeeping Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Fairmont Hot Springs, BC7 January 2017
I am pleased to say Fairmont Hot Springs was the best place I had ever worked for.

A typical day at work would be to sign in, get your assignment sheet and key for the day, grab stock for linen closet, go to your floor, stock up your closet and cart, and work accordingly depending upon assignment sheet. I have learned that working here is not as crazy as it would be in a any other city hotel. I also have learned to master my job with having deep cleaning introduced to my schedule. Management was the best to work for, always looked out for their workers, bore empathy, and was very fair to each person within every department. Co-workers were also great, easy to get along with,. The hardest part of the job where slow days where there wasn't much to do, and you had to find things to do if management didn't have anything for you to do. My most enjoyable part of the job was that our employers interacted with us all of the time; they encouraged us within and outside of our roles. They treated us like family!
Pros
free soup lunches, great discounts throughout resort on food and merchandise
Cons
You're only allowed to live in Staff accomodation for a year, its hard to find permanent residency here.
productive nice place to work
Cleaner (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Fairmont Hot Springs, BC11 March 2017
it is a good place to work overall the management is great and the work is easygoing. i would definitely recommend working here if you are seeking employment in the fairmont area
Pros
free lunch
Cons
N/A
Great spot to work
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Jasper, AB6 March 2017
I worked at the Jasper park lodge for three years. It is a great spot too go when you are younger. There is definitely a outdoor atmosphere and a place were there is always something going on. It's a place were you can easily try new jobs and get experience in different hospitality areas
Pros
Fun athmosphere
Cons
Being away from family
was a contractor for a couple of months
Accounting Clerk (Contract - Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2016
cheap meals
free dry cleaning
great location
good work perks

everyone is friendly

near the ttc and is downtown

management was visible to employees
Pros
free lunch, dry cleaning
Excellent Work Environment
Spa Attendant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 January 2017
-Provided accurate, appropriate and immediate responses to all requests by guests, ensuring complete guest satisfaction
-Good Management