Fabricland

Fabricland Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
it was a generallly easy going place you did what you had to really
inventory (Former Employee), multipleJune 14, 2015
Pros: they gave us free food
Cons: it was a bit long
only reasons its rated low is simply because my sister once worked here and she worked here for like 7 years and she should have been like assistant manager or something but they got someone else from some other fabricland to do it so they pretty much shafted her
Management, staff & kind customers makes this job the very decent place that it is.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 27, 2015
Pros: Lots to learn, free monthly projects, fun & new products to work with.
Cons: Low pay, old systems, not enough communication with head office.
The best part of this job has been my manager, fellow staff & regular/new friendly customers.

The head manager is extremely patient, understanding & flexible- even in high pressure situations, complicated scheduling situations & any personal issues with staff. The manager always makes a point of letting us know when we've done something right or well.

I have been fortunate to happen to have such friendly & enjoyable staff members at my side. As well as our regular customers who are always enthusiastic & excited to see us & start a new project. It is always enjoyable when new customers come in looking to start a new craft. Taking the steps with them & seeing their excitement is very uplifting & a great way for us to learn more as employees.

My supervisors have allowed & encouraged me to apply myself with previously learned skills- like counting tills & merchandising. They have always welcomed me to attempt new & challenging tasks as well.

I have learned so many new skills, methods & crafts at this particular job & there is always new things to anticipate learning every day. It is an exciting challenge to know that you can never know anywhere near "everything" in this employment.

While the business still has its flaws (like any place), it is still very manageable. The systems we use (cash register, sales pricing, billing system, etc) are something of archaic. However, it is good practice to keeping an active mind & when technology fails, we remain a perfectly functioning retailer- & that is pretty impressive.
Not a long term prospect
sales, fabric cutter (Former Employee), SaskatoonMay 11, 2015
Pros: Lots of fabric
Cons: Relies too much on memory, poor store layout
I took this job on just to see if retail was for me. I learned a lot; unfortunately a good deal of what I learned was "how not to run a retail establishment in the 21st century."
From the extremely confusing sales to the lack of proper tools given to the employees to do their jobs, I found this company very frustrating. The store that I worked in expected us to do the cleaning at the end of the day, but the cleaning supplies were very inadequate, so the dust bunnies just kept building up under the shelves. The best we could do was push them out of the way and hope the customers didn't see them.
Management was not open to suggestions of any kind. The layout required customers to squeeze down narrow crowded aisles to get to things, even though the overall square footage could easily have accommodated a better arrangement of shelving units.
Most of my co-workers were easy to get along with, but there were a few queen bee types who didn't hesitate to berate and ridicule co-worker's mistakes right in front of the customers. I suspect these people wouldn't last long in any other work environment.
The pay is miserable considering how much product and sewing knowledge you have to have to do the job well. This is an okay job for a stay-at-home mother, student, or retired person who just wants to get out of the house a few days a week, but it isn't for someone who needs to earn a living.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Fisher Road Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Good breaks, wonderful coworkers, lots of things to do
Cons: wage, not computerized
Depending on the day work can either be fast-paced or slow. All my coworkers were wonderful, they were like a second family to me. There are always things to do to keep you busy. The hardest part of the job is dealing with unhappy customers, but that comes with every retail job. The people here make you feel at home and it's a wonderful work environment, if they paid better this would be the place I would love to work at for a long time.
Fun, and Family friendly
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCMarch 22, 2015
everyone was fun, willing to teach if you where willing to learn, management was amazing, it was a very family like environment
Productive work place
Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 18, 2015
Great customers, rings up their purchases, ensure that they have found what they are looking for, and promote sale items and other relevant products.
productive but fun enviroment to work in
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 19, 2014
cut textiles, assist customers with fabrics.
management is very helpful, and friendly
hardest part of the job is lifting the heavy drapery fabrics
Positive and fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCNovember 9, 2014
A great place to work where you get to share in customers creations from the ground up. It's always nice to hear what someone is making and suggest something that will work for them and maybe even find something that might suit them better or that is even on sale.
Satisfactory
Labourer (Former Employee), Victoria, BCSeptember 19, 2014
I was there for the day to do inventory, nothing more so I cannot do a full review.
Upbeat and stimulating workplace with friendly customers
Cashier/Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 1, 2014
Pros: busy, day went by fast
Cons: not enough hours
A typical shift at Fabricland for me included opening the store, counting the deposit and making floats for both of our tills. I would manage cash and receive orders, as well as supervising breaks for my coworkers. I would later close the store and do the nightly deposit at the bank.
Management was always happy to answer any questions I had and my co-workers were very easy-going. At Fabricland we would sometimes have to deal with belligerent customers and that was difficult but as long as I managed to keep calm and listen to their concerns it always worked out for both parties in the end.
I enjoyed making displays and answering customers questions, I always liked the feeling of when I helped them find exactly what they wanted or needed.
Amazing people to work with and for
Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Belleville, ONJuly 19, 2014
At this job I was able to make a lot of connections, with my fellow co-workers and with customers that came through the door. I was only there for a short time, but in that time I learned how to measure out cloth, ribbon, blanket material, and many other items that are kept in store. Also, I learned how to use an old style register, and as a result it helped me learn how to do math in my head, and not to rely on either a calculator or the register to tell me the change that was required for the customer.
This job was terrible.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), st albert, albertsJune 27, 2014
Cons: long hours, terrible pay, poor working conditions, lack of professionalism
I was offered this job, and quickly promoted to Assistant Manager. The store manager was wonderful to work with, however our district manager (whose office was in our store) conducted herself in a VERY unprofessional manner, often ignoring blatant crimes committed against staff and trying to 'sweep things under the rug'.
The pay and benefits package were a joke. in a management role, only making 10.10 per hour AFTER a year, with no bonuses or commission was ridiculous. many employees are forced to work a second fulltime job in order to make ends meet, and staff were regularily abused by the district manager
Very productive and fun workplace
Inventory taker (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 28, 2014
Pros: free lunch
One day only. It was a good workplace, and it helped that I had friends there to chat with during the day and make the task go by a lot quicker.
nice work place
Merchandiser/Reciever (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 21, 2014
Pros: comfortable workplace
Cons: no benefits
its was a quite nice job, receiving and stocking,labeling and putting merchandise on the right place are the things i learned in working in the company
Not the best place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), London, ONApril 18, 2014
In a predominantly female environment there is very little encouragement or support. There is a lot of information regarding sewing that can be gleaned from staff and shoppers. The work is not easy with a lot of lifting. Most of the management lacks training and basic interpersonal skills. Some of the co-workers can be very kind and supportive but unfortunately there are those that lean toward back biting, untrustworthy, generally miserable behaviour.
It is a thankless, underpaid, physically demanding job as a sales associate.
There are occasionally people that do make the job rewarding, unfortunately they are counterbalanced by those that make it awful.
A great job for fashion designers and people starting out in the work force
Customer Service (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 24, 2013
As a fabric store Fabricland provides a wide range of fabrics and sewing accessories as well as drapery hardware and bedding supplies. I was a customer service representative but also someone who looked after the store. The job helped pay for my first year of university however when business got slow they had to cut us back. I stayed with this job as long as I could but I had to quit going into my final year of university. If you want to work for Fabricland I would recommend getting a degree in fashion but you have great staff who can teach you the odds and ends of what customers require. I learned alot with this job including how to cut fabric. I became an expert at it. All and all a good job to start out in the work force but an even better job with a fashion degree.
Always shelves to be stocked and something to be doing at all times.
Sales Representative, Cashier (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONNovember 4, 2013
The hardest part of this job would have to be all the heavy lifting, most coworkers were always happy to see each other, always clean workspaces. Good pay.
awesome people and great to place to learn about fbric and notions
Sales Representative (Former Employee), hamilton onOctober 8, 2013
Assisted customers with understanding patterns, selecting fabrics and processing transactions
Trained in interior design, drapery, upholstery and other home décor
Taught weekly sewing technique classes to costumers and staff
Designed and created samples of patterns to display in store
lots of work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 26, 2013
There was way too much work and not enough pay. The people were fairly nice.
A learning experience
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Belleville, ONAugust 15, 2012
Pros: a lot of kind customers
Cons: not enough hours
I have learned a lot about interacting with many different kinds of people

About Fabricland

Jo-Ann Stores has sewn up the leadership of the fabric store market. It's the #1 US fabric retailer (ahead of Hancock Fabrics), – Read more