Fabricland Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJuly 8, 2016
Everyone was so nice there. Working there it felt like I was apart of another family. And you learn so much working there from your other coworkers or even customers let you in on some of there tricks not to mention when working there you can display some of your work to show others the different things that they can do with some of the products that they sell.
Pros
discounts on all fabric
Cons
not enough hours
Fun working place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 8, 2016
It was fun working place,l learn about lot of different fabrics and product. The management and staff fun to working.The hardest part of the job was heavy lifting. the most enjoyable part of the job was talking to customer and serving them what they need.
Pros
.5hrs
Cons
8hrs
sales associate
Sales Associate/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCApril 3, 2016
I worked at Fabricland for 2 months, I didn't have full time work, in fact no employees besides management had full time shifts.
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
no job security
Its a fun, interesting place, you learn something new everyday
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 5, 2015
As assistant manager I do a little of everything from cashing, deposits, inventory, cutting fabric, schedules, ordering, dealing with a wide range of customers. Trouble shooting when problems arise. I do love it all. Just not the income, to be honest.
Pros
We do get alot of free lunches, dinners. Great deals of products.
Cons
Red tape from head office.
Cutting Fabric
Sales Associate/Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 28, 2015
The work is good, you arrive, someone is always at the table waiting for you to cut their fabric so immediately you are put to work but it's a laid-back environment and everybody helps everybody out and you can take a break whenever you need to no one clocks your lunches or yells at you if you have a tea on the floor my only complaint is, rather then give everyone more hours, they hire new workers which means it doesn't pay enough to live on unless you live at home with your parents or you are retired and looking for a hobby. It can never be your career or only job if you are living on your own and trying to actually move ahead in life and although it is promised you'll get benefits, you never actually get any benefits. All full time employees had to work there 6+ years to get where they are and even they get part time hours sometimes.
Pros
Great Admisphere
Cons
not enough hours/wage to live on
Great place - would not hesitate to work there again if I could pay the bills on min. wage...
Sales, Customer Service, Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJuly 27, 2015
Great staff, very engaged. Fun place to be, Customers in general very nice, but sometimes challenging to deal with. The money is not great, but the hours are very accommodating for part time positions.
Pros
Free food during special sales and events like inventory
Cons
retail hours, so some evenings, weekends and holidays...
Creativity
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  KamloopsJuly 22, 2015
Arrive for day shift at 8:30 or 9:45am daily bookkeeping, day schedule, banking, met with sales clerks gave direction for day, setting up cash registers, attended customers wants and needs. Arrive for afternoon shift 1:15pm relieved morning manager for lunch dealt with any items that need attention. The hardest part of job was not having computers to do the reordering of stock. The most enjoyable part of job was inspiring the public with their wants and needs
Pros
Inspiring the public with their projects
it was a generallly easy going place you did what you had to really
inventory (Former Employee) –  multipleJune 14, 2015
only reasons its rated low is simply because my sister once worked here and she worked here for like 7 years and she should have been like assistant manager or something but they got someone else from some other fabricland to do it so they pretty much shafted her
Pros
they gave us free food
Cons
it was a bit long
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fisher Road Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2015
Depending on the day work can either be fast-paced or slow. All my coworkers were wonderful, they were like a second family to me. There are always things to do to keep you busy. The hardest part of the job is dealing with unhappy customers, but that comes with every retail job. The people here make you feel at home and it's a wonderful work environment, if they paid better this would be the place I would love to work at for a long time.
Pros
Good breaks, wonderful coworkers, lots of things to do
Cons
wage, not computerized
Great place to start
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJuly 6, 2015
I enjoyed my time working here and learning the fundamentals of customer service.
The staff there are amazing and they were very helpful with customers and teaching me to provide great customer service.
Pros
great staff
Cons
n/a
unfriendly environment
shipping/receiving (Former Employee) –  toronto, ontAugust 18, 2015
sometimes uncomfortable to work. hard to get along with employees.
hours are good. working space very dusty. didn't take me much to get there on time
Amazing people to work with and for
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJuly 19, 2014
At this job I was able to make a lot of connections, with my fellow co-workers and with customers that came through the door. I was only there for a short time, but in that time I learned how to measure out cloth, ribbon, blanket material, and many other items that are kept in store. Also, I learned how to use an old style register, and as a result it helped me learn how to do math in my head, and not to rely on either a calculator or the register to tell me the change that was required for the customer.
This job was terrible.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  st albert, albertsJune 27, 2014
I was offered this job, and quickly promoted to Assistant Manager. The store manager was wonderful to work with, however our district manager (whose office was in our store) conducted herself in a VERY unprofessional manner, often ignoring blatant crimes committed against staff and trying to 'sweep things under the rug'.
The pay and benefits package were a joke. in a management role, only making 10.10 per hour AFTER a year, with no bonuses or commission was ridiculous. many employees are forced to work a second fulltime job in order to make ends meet, and staff were regularily abused by the district manager
Cons
long hours, terrible pay, poor working conditions, lack of professionalism
Not the best place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 18, 2014
In a predominantly female environment there is very little encouragement or support. There is a lot of information regarding sewing that can be gleaned from staff and shoppers. The work is not easy with a lot of lifting. Most of the management lacks training and basic interpersonal skills. Some of the co-workers can be very kind and supportive but unfortunately there are those that lean toward back biting, untrustworthy, generally miserable behaviour.
It is a thankless, underpaid, physically demanding job as a sales associate.
There are occasionally people that do make the job rewarding, unfortunately they are counterbalanced by those that make it awful.
Upbeat and stimulating workplace with friendly customers
Cashier/Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 1, 2014
A typical shift at Fabricland for me included opening the store, counting the deposit and making floats for both of our tills. I would manage cash and receive orders, as well as supervising breaks for my coworkers. I would later close the store and do the nightly deposit at the bank.
Management was always happy to answer any questions I had and my co-workers were very easy-going. At Fabricland we would sometimes have to deal with belligerent customers and that was difficult but as long as I managed to keep calm and listen to their concerns it always worked out for both parties in the end.
I enjoyed making displays and answering customers questions, I always liked the feeling of when I helped them find exactly what they wanted or needed.
Pros
busy, day went by fast
Cons
not enough hours
A great job for fashion designers and people starting out in the work force
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 24, 2013
As a fabric store Fabricland provides a wide range of fabrics and sewing accessories as well as drapery hardware and bedding supplies. I was a customer service representative but also someone who looked after the store. The job helped pay for my first year of university however when business got slow they had to cut us back. I stayed with this job as long as I could but I had to quit going into my final year of university. If you want to work for Fabricland I would recommend getting a degree in fashion but you have great staff who can teach you the odds and ends of what customers require. I learned alot with this job including how to cut fabric. I became an expert at it. All and all a good job to start out in the work force but an even better job with a fashion degree.
awesome people and great to place to learn about fbric and notions
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  hamilton onOctober 8, 2013
Assisted customers with understanding patterns, selecting fabrics and processing transactions
Trained in interior design, drapery, upholstery and other home d├ęcor
Taught weekly sewing technique classes to costumers and staff
Designed and created samples of patterns to display in store
Positive and fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCNovember 9, 2014
A great place to work where you get to share in customers creations from the ground up. It's always nice to hear what someone is making and suggest something that will work for them and maybe even find something that might suit them better or that is even on sale.
Productive work place
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 18, 2015
Great customers, rings up their purchases, ensure that they have found what they are looking for, and promote sale items and other relevant products.
Fun, and Family friendly
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCMarch 22, 2015
everyone was fun, willing to teach if you where willing to learn, management was amazing, it was a very family like environment

2.9