Fabricland Employee Reviews

Cutting Fabric
Sales Associate/Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 28, 2015
The work is good, you arrive, someone is always at the table waiting for you to cut their fabric so immediately you are put to work but it's a laid-back environment and everybody helps everybody out and you can take a break whenever you need to no one clocks your lunches or yells at you if you have a tea on the floor my only complaint is, rather then give everyone more hours, they hire new workers which means it doesn't pay enough to live on unless you live at home with your parents or you are retired and looking for a hobby. It can never be your career or only job if you are living on your own and trying to actually move ahead in life and although it is promised you'll get benefits, you never actually get any benefits. All full time employees had to work there 6+ years to get where they are and even they get part time hours sometimes.
Pros
Great Admisphere
Cons
not enough hours/wage to live on
Close-knit, family oriented workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABSeptember 1, 2016
the most enjoyable part of my job is helping a customer find the fabric that best suits their project and makes them more eager to start it.
Hardest part of my job at times is dealing with customers who do not understand how our return policy works and get upset because we are unable to return an item they purchased. These situations usually take calm guidance and advising the customer to contact management if they are unsatisfied once we are finished.
Very Good Co-worker relations.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
My co-workers at the two locations I worked at were very knowledgeable and taught me a lot about sewing, calculating yardage and responsibility. Some upper management position were light on training new employees, which did lead to some problems. You need to have initiative to get ahead of the next day and to keep busy on slower days.
Pros
Good community, Lots of knowledge gained, fun clientele.
Cons
Idle hands, more training needed
sales associate
Sales Associate/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCApril 3, 2016
I worked at Fabricland for 2 months, I didn't have full time work, in fact no employees besides management had full time shifts.
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
no job security
Fun to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJuly 8, 2016
Everyone was so nice there. Working there it felt like I was apart of another family. And you learn so much working there from your other coworkers or even customers let you in on some of there tricks not to mention when working there you can display some of your work to show others the different things that they can do with some of the products that they sell.
Pros
discounts on all fabric
Cons
not enough hours
Fabricland is relevant to my lifestyle
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BCSeptember 19, 2016
Working at Fabricland was enjoyable for me due to:

- The relevancy to my main hobby, sewing
- Opportunities to learn new techniques, methods and processes related to sewing
- Creative support from co-workers
This job was terrible.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  st albert, albertsJune 27, 2014
I was offered this job, and quickly promoted to Assistant Manager. The store manager was wonderful to work with, however our district manager (whose office was in our store) conducted herself in a VERY unprofessional manner, often ignoring blatant crimes committed against staff and trying to 'sweep things under the rug'.
The pay and benefits package were a joke. in a management role, only making 10.10 per hour AFTER a year, with no bonuses or commission was ridiculous. many employees are forced to work a second fulltime job in order to make ends meet, and staff were regularily abused by the district manager
Cons
long hours, terrible pay, poor working conditions, lack of professionalism
Fun working place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 8, 2016
It was fun working place,l learn about lot of different fabrics and product. The management and staff fun to working.The hardest part of the job was heavy lifting. the most enjoyable part of the job was talking to customer and serving them what they need.
Pros
.5hrs
Cons
8hrs
Its a fun, interesting place, you learn something new everyday
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 5, 2015
As assistant manager I do a little of everything from cashing, deposits, inventory, cutting fabric, schedules, ordering, dealing with a wide range of customers. Trouble shooting when problems arise. I do love it all. Just not the income, to be honest.
Pros
We do get alot of free lunches, dinners. Great deals of products.
Cons
Red tape from head office.
nice work place
Merchandiser/Reciever (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 21, 2014
its was a quite nice job, receiving and stocking,labeling and putting merchandise on the right place are the things i learned in working in the company
Pros
comfortable workplace
Cons
no benefits
Creativity
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  KamloopsJuly 22, 2015
Arrive for day shift at 8:30 or 9:45am daily bookkeeping, day schedule, banking, met with sales clerks gave direction for day, setting up cash registers, attended customers wants and needs. Arrive for afternoon shift 1:15pm relieved morning manager for lunch dealt with any items that need attention. The hardest part of job was not having computers to do the reordering of stock. The most enjoyable part of job was inspiring the public with their wants and needs
Pros
Inspiring the public with their projects
Great place - would not hesitate to work there again if I could pay the bills on min. wage...
Sales, Customer Service, Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJuly 27, 2015
Great staff, very engaged. Fun place to be, Customers in general very nice, but sometimes challenging to deal with. The money is not great, but the hours are very accommodating for part time positions.
Pros
Free food during special sales and events like inventory
Cons
retail hours, so some evenings, weekends and holidays...
it was a generallly easy going place you did what you had to really
inventory (Former Employee) –  multipleJune 14, 2015
only reasons its rated low is simply because my sister once worked here and she worked here for like 7 years and she should have been like assistant manager or something but they got someone else from some other fabricland to do it so they pretty much shafted her
Pros
they gave us free food
Cons
it was a bit long
Upbeat and stimulating workplace with friendly customers
Cashier/Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 1, 2014
A typical shift at Fabricland for me included opening the store, counting the deposit and making floats for both of our tills. I would manage cash and receive orders, as well as supervising breaks for my coworkers. I would later close the store and do the nightly deposit at the bank.
Management was always happy to answer any questions I had and my co-workers were very easy-going. At Fabricland we would sometimes have to deal with belligerent customers and that was difficult but as long as I managed to keep calm and listen to their concerns it always worked out for both parties in the end.
I enjoyed making displays and answering customers questions, I always liked the feeling of when I helped them find exactly what they wanted or needed.
Pros
busy, day went by fast
Cons
not enough hours
Not the best place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 18, 2014
In a predominantly female environment there is very little encouragement or support. There is a lot of information regarding sewing that can be gleaned from staff and shoppers. The work is not easy with a lot of lifting. Most of the management lacks training and basic interpersonal skills. Some of the co-workers can be very kind and supportive but unfortunately there are those that lean toward back biting, untrustworthy, generally miserable behaviour.
It is a thankless, underpaid, physically demanding job as a sales associate.
There are occasionally people that do make the job rewarding, unfortunately they are counterbalanced by those that make it awful.
unfriendly environment
shipping/receiving (Former Employee) –  toronto, ontAugust 18, 2015
sometimes uncomfortable to work. hard to get along with employees.
hours are good. working space very dusty. didn't take me much to get there on time
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fisher Road Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2015
Depending on the day work can either be fast-paced or slow. All my coworkers were wonderful, they were like a second family to me. There are always things to do to keep you busy. The hardest part of the job is dealing with unhappy customers, but that comes with every retail job. The people here make you feel at home and it's a wonderful work environment, if they paid better this would be the place I would love to work at for a long time.
Pros
Good breaks, wonderful coworkers, lots of things to do
Cons
wage, not computerized
Not a long term prospect
sales, fabric cutter (Former Employee) –  SaskatoonMay 11, 2015
I took this job on just to see if retail was for me. I learned a lot; unfortunately a good deal of what I learned was "how not to run a retail establishment in the 21st century."
From the extremely confusing sales to the lack of proper tools given to the employees to do their jobs, I found this company very frustrating. The store that I worked in expected us to do the cleaning at the end of the day, but the cleaning supplies were very inadequate, so the dust bunnies just kept building up under the shelves. The best we could do was push them out of the way and hope the customers didn't see them.
Management was not open to suggestions of any kind. The layout required customers to squeeze down narrow crowded aisles to get to things, even though the overall square footage could easily have accommodated a better arrangement of shelving units.
Most of my co-workers were easy to get along with, but there were a few queen bee types who didn't hesitate to berate and ridicule co-worker's mistakes right in front of the customers. I suspect these people wouldn't last long in any other work environment.
The pay is miserable considering how much product and sewing knowledge you have to have to do the job well. This is an okay job for a stay-at-home mother, student, or retired person who just wants to get out of the house a few days a week, but it isn't for someone who needs to earn a living.
Pros
Lots of fabric
Cons
Relies too much on memory, poor store layout
Great place to start
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJuly 6, 2015
I enjoyed my time working here and learning the fundamentals of customer service.
The staff there are amazing and they were very helpful with customers and teaching me to provide great customer service.
Pros
great staff
Cons
n/a
A great job for fashion designers and people starting out in the work force
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 24, 2013
As a fabric store Fabricland provides a wide range of fabrics and sewing accessories as well as drapery hardware and bedding supplies. I was a customer service representative but also someone who looked after the store. The job helped pay for my first year of university however when business got slow they had to cut us back. I stayed with this job as long as I could but I had to quit going into my final year of university. If you want to work for Fabricland I would recommend getting a degree in fashion but you have great staff who can teach you the odds and ends of what customers require. I learned alot with this job including how to cut fabric. I became an expert at it. All and all a good job to start out in the work force but an even better job with a fashion degree.