Fabricland Employee Reviews

It's a great place!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON20 March 2017
I love working at Fabricland, a typical day would involve organising, and straightening up fabrics, helping customers, cutting fabric, working cash, and cleaning. The most enjoyable part of my job is my job itself, I love working here, and I enjoy being able to work here.
Pros
The people
Cons
Low hours
medium paced, flexible work environment requiring specialized knowledge
Retail Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 February 2017
Fabricland is a great place to work if you require flexible work or a small, supplemental income. There are not many opportunities for advancement within the company, and staff turnover is low. There are many perks, including a staff discount, sample garment program and staff pattern programs. It is a medium-pace environment with a small number of staff (typically 10-15 staff members per store). It is an ideal place to work if you have previous knowledge about sewing and textiles, and want to implement your skills in a casual environment where customer service is of the utmost importance.
Pros
staff pattern program, discounts, sample garment program
Cons
heavy lifting
Fun place to work, Perks of loving to sew
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 January 2017
Managed a staff of 12.

Liked going into work daily and meeting new customers.

Perk of the job was being able to sew new creations every month to showcase the fabrics we had received.
Its fun
Customer service, cashier, store organization (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON6 December 2016
I like working at fabricland. You get to put away material and organize it and speak to wonderful costumer. You work on cash and that is a little chanlenging to some staff. Management all seemed stress out.
Pros
Its fun
Cons
Not enought money
enjoyed helping costumers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON26 October 2016
clean the floors and wash rooms
help costumers find things figure out needed amounts and cut it for them
enjoyed seeing things they did
fun work place with nice and friendly people who are willing to help
Mover (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON20 September 2016
It was a great place to work because everyone was so nice, you got the perfect amount of breaks. I learned to be very attentive
Fabricland is relevant to my lifestyle
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC19 September 2016
Working at Fabricland was enjoyable for me due to:

- The relevancy to my main hobby, sewing
- Opportunities to learn new techniques, methods and processes related to sewing
- Creative support from co-workers
Close-knit, family oriented workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB1 September 2016
the most enjoyable part of my job is helping a customer find the fabric that best suits their project and makes them more eager to start it.
Hardest part of my job at times is dealing with customers who do not understand how our return policy works and get upset because we are unable to return an item they purchased. These situations usually take calm guidance and advising the customer to contact management if they are unsatisfied once we are finished.
Fun to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 July 2016
Everyone was so nice there. Working there it felt like I was apart of another family. And you learn so much working there from your other coworkers or even customers let you in on some of there tricks not to mention when working there you can display some of your work to show others the different things that they can do with some of the products that they sell.
Pros
discounts on all fabric
Cons
not enough hours
Very Good Co-worker relations.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
My co-workers at the two locations I worked at were very knowledgeable and taught me a lot about sewing, calculating yardage and responsibility. Some upper management position were light on training new employees, which did lead to some problems. You need to have initiative to get ahead of the next day and to keep busy on slower days.
Pros
Good community, Lots of knowledge gained, fun clientele.
Cons
Idle hands, more training needed
Fun working place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON8 April 2016
It was fun working place,l learn about lot of different fabrics and product. The management and staff fun to working.The hardest part of the job was heavy lifting. the most enjoyable part of the job was talking to customer and serving them what they need.
Pros
.5hrs
Cons
8hrs
sales associate
Sales Associate/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC3 April 2016
I worked at Fabricland for 2 months, I didn't have full time work, in fact no employees besides management had full time shifts.
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
no job security
Its a fun, interesting place, you learn something new everyday
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 November 2015
As assistant manager I do a little of everything from cashing, deposits, inventory, cutting fabric, schedules, ordering, dealing with a wide range of customers. Trouble shooting when problems arise. I do love it all. Just not the income, to be honest.
Pros
We do get alot of free lunches, dinners. Great deals of products.
Cons
Red tape from head office.
Cutting Fabric
Sales Associate/Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 September 2015
The work is good, you arrive, someone is always at the table waiting for you to cut their fabric so immediately you are put to work but it's a laid-back environment and everybody helps everybody out and you can take a break whenever you need to no one clocks your lunches or yells at you if you have a tea on the floor my only complaint is, rather then give everyone more hours, they hire new workers which means it doesn't pay enough to live on unless you live at home with your parents or you are retired and looking for a hobby. It can never be your career or only job if you are living on your own and trying to actually move ahead in life and although it is promised you'll get benefits, you never actually get any benefits. All full time employees had to work there 6+ years to get where they are and even they get part time hours sometimes.
Pros
Great Admisphere
Cons
not enough hours/wage to live on
unfriendly environment
shipping/receiving (Former Employee) –  toronto, ont18 August 2015
sometimes uncomfortable to work. hard to get along with employees.
hours are good. working space very dusty. didn't take me much to get there on time
Great place - would not hesitate to work there again if I could pay the bills on min. wage...
Sales, Customer Service, Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB27 July 2015
Great staff, very engaged. Fun place to be, Customers in general very nice, but sometimes challenging to deal with. The money is not great, but the hours are very accommodating for part time positions.
Pros
Free food during special sales and events like inventory
Cons
retail hours, so some evenings, weekends and holidays...
Creativity
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kamloops22 July 2015
Arrive for day shift at 8:30 or 9:45am daily bookkeeping, day schedule, banking, met with sales clerks gave direction for day, setting up cash registers, attended customers wants and needs. Arrive for afternoon shift 1:15pm relieved morning manager for lunch dealt with any items that need attention. The hardest part of job was not having computers to do the reordering of stock. The most enjoyable part of job was inspiring the public with their wants and needs
Pros
Inspiring the public with their projects
Great place to start
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK6 July 2015
I enjoyed my time working here and learning the fundamentals of customer service.
The staff there are amazing and they were very helpful with customers and teaching me to provide great customer service.
Pros
great staff
Cons
n/a
it was a generallly easy going place you did what you had to really
inventory (Former Employee) –  multiple14 June 2015
only reasons its rated low is simply because my sister once worked here and she worked here for like 7 years and she should have been like assistant manager or something but they got someone else from some other fabricland to do it so they pretty much shafted her
Pros
they gave us free food
Cons
it was a bit long
Management, staff & kind customers makes this job the very decent place that it is.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 May 2015
The best part of this job has been my manager, fellow staff & regular/new friendly customers.

The head manager is extremely patient, understanding & flexible- even in high pressure situations, complicated scheduling situations & any personal issues with staff. The manager always makes a point of letting us know when we've done something right or well.

I have been fortunate to happen to have such friendly & enjoyable staff members at my side. As well as our regular customers who are always enthusiastic & excited to see us & start a new project. It is always enjoyable when new customers come in looking to start a new craft. Taking the steps with them & seeing their excitement is very uplifting & a great way for us to learn more as employees.

My supervisors have allowed & encouraged me to apply myself with previously learned skills- like counting tills & merchandising. They have always welcomed me to attempt new & challenging tasks as well.

I have learned so many new skills, methods & crafts at this particular job & there is always new things to anticipate learning every day. It is an exciting challenge to know that you can never know anywhere near "everything" in this employment.

While the business still has its flaws (like any place), it is still very manageable. The systems we use (cash register, sales pricing, billing system, etc) are something of archaic. However, it is good practice to keeping an active mind & when technology fails, we remain a perfectly functioning retailer- & that is pretty impressive.
Pros
Lots to learn, free monthly projects, fun & new products to work with.
Cons
Low pay, old systems, not enough communication with head office.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fabricland. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9