Fabricland Employee Reviews

Incompetent management, grubby store
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 July 2017
I worked here many years ago so this review may no longer be relevant. I had a manager that mis-handled how we did inventory and I ended up with a back injury that has haunted me ever since. The same manager then refused to fill out my injury form. She didn't seem to know how.
I enjoyed the position.. .Co-workers and management worked well as a team
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON11 June 2017
Overall Fabricland is a good place to work, positive and fun environment, helpful management and always a learning experience. There was always an opportunity to be creative with crafting and sewing projects to be displayed in the store. While a large part of this position was to assist the customer, often I learned something valuable from the customers.
Pros
Always a chance to be creative and continue to learn
Cons
Slightly unorganized
Productive and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON30 May 2017
This place is overall very good. I enjoyed my time working here and it allowed my experience of work to grow and become stronger. I learned a lot of new things.
Creative and friendly environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2017
The people who work here have a passion for the industry and those who work here full-time tend to stay here for a long time. Management is understanding and fair and has an open door policy and they welcome new ideas and feedback from staff.

Generally speaking, a great place to work. A warm and friendly environment. Results are expected, as anywhere, but there is a lot of support for employees to help them achieve their goals. Good emphasis on health and safety.
Pros
paid lunches, staff discounts, supportive head office management
inspiring, creative and productive environment
Sales Assistant/Fabric and Textiles Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 May 2017
a very customer oriented bussiness, with many innovative opportunities for creative types. alot of one on one and problem solving is required. the atmopsphere is very relaxed and organized. positions applicable to those with skilled backgrounds in sewing and upholstery.
It's a great place!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON20 March 2017
I love working at Fabricland, a typical day would involve organising, and straightening up fabrics, helping customers, cutting fabric, working cash, and cleaning. The most enjoyable part of my job is my job itself, I love working here, and I enjoy being able to work here.
Pros
The people
Cons
Low hours
great work environment
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 March 2017
The people at the store I worked at were great to work with. In fact all the stores I have had the opportunity to work in ( during Inventory) had a great work environment.
Pros
people you work with
Cons
management
medium paced, flexible work environment requiring specialized knowledge
Retail Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 February 2017
Fabricland is a great place to work if you require flexible work or a small, supplemental income. There are not many opportunities for advancement within the company, and staff turnover is low. There are many perks, including a staff discount, sample garment program and staff pattern programs. It is a medium-pace environment with a small number of staff (typically 10-15 staff members per store). It is an ideal place to work if you have previous knowledge about sewing and textiles, and want to implement your skills in a casual environment where customer service is of the utmost importance.
Pros
staff pattern program, discounts, sample garment program
Cons
heavy lifting
Fun place to work, Perks of loving to sew
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 January 2017
Managed a staff of 12.

Liked going into work daily and meeting new customers.

Perk of the job was being able to sew new creations every month to showcase the fabrics we had received.
Its fun
Customer service, cashier, store organization (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON6 December 2016
I like working at fabricland. You get to put away material and organize it and speak to wonderful costumer. You work on cash and that is a little chanlenging to some staff. Management all seemed stress out.
Pros
Its fun
Cons
Not enought money
enjoyed helping costumers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON26 October 2016
clean the floors and wash rooms
help costumers find things figure out needed amounts and cut it for them
enjoyed seeing things they did
fun work place with nice and friendly people who are willing to help
Mover (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON20 September 2016
It was a great place to work because everyone was so nice, you got the perfect amount of breaks. I learned to be very attentive
Fabricland is relevant to my lifestyle
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC19 September 2016
Working at Fabricland was enjoyable for me due to:

- The relevancy to my main hobby, sewing
- Opportunities to learn new techniques, methods and processes related to sewing
- Creative support from co-workers
Close-knit, family oriented workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB1 September 2016
the most enjoyable part of my job is helping a customer find the fabric that best suits their project and makes them more eager to start it.
Hardest part of my job at times is dealing with customers who do not understand how our return policy works and get upset because we are unable to return an item they purchased. These situations usually take calm guidance and advising the customer to contact management if they are unsatisfied once we are finished.
Fun to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 July 2016
Everyone was so nice there. Working there it felt like I was apart of another family. And you learn so much working there from your other coworkers or even customers let you in on some of there tricks not to mention when working there you can display some of your work to show others the different things that they can do with some of the products that they sell.
Pros
discounts on all fabric
Cons
not enough hours
Very Good Co-worker relations.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
My co-workers at the two locations I worked at were very knowledgeable and taught me a lot about sewing, calculating yardage and responsibility. Some upper management position were light on training new employees, which did lead to some problems. You need to have initiative to get ahead of the next day and to keep busy on slower days.
Pros
Good community, Lots of knowledge gained, fun clientele.
Cons
Idle hands, more training needed
Fun working place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON8 April 2016
It was fun working place,l learn about lot of different fabrics and product. The management and staff fun to working.The hardest part of the job was heavy lifting. the most enjoyable part of the job was talking to customer and serving them what they need.
Pros
.5hrs
Cons
8hrs
sales associate
Sales Associate/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC3 April 2016
I worked at Fabricland for 2 months, I didn't have full time work, in fact no employees besides management had full time shifts.
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
no job security
Its a fun, interesting place, you learn something new everyday
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 November 2015
As assistant manager I do a little of everything from cashing, deposits, inventory, cutting fabric, schedules, ordering, dealing with a wide range of customers. Trouble shooting when problems arise. I do love it all. Just not the income, to be honest.
Pros
We do get alot of free lunches, dinners. Great deals of products.
Cons
Red tape from head office.
Cutting Fabric
Sales Associate/Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 September 2015
The work is good, you arrive, someone is always at the table waiting for you to cut their fabric so immediately you are put to work but it's a laid-back environment and everybody helps everybody out and you can take a break whenever you need to no one clocks your lunches or yells at you if you have a tea on the floor my only complaint is, rather then give everyone more hours, they hire new workers which means it doesn't pay enough to live on unless you live at home with your parents or you are retired and looking for a hobby. It can never be your career or only job if you are living on your own and trying to actually move ahead in life and although it is promised you'll get benefits, you never actually get any benefits. All full time employees had to work there 6+ years to get where they are and even they get part time hours sometimes.
Pros
Great Admisphere
Cons
not enough hours/wage to live on

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fabricland. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval