Fabricland Employee Reviews

Close-knit, family oriented workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB1 September 2016
the most enjoyable part of my job is helping a customer find the fabric that best suits their project and makes them more eager to start it.
Hardest part of my job at times is dealing with customers who do not understand how our return policy works and get upset because we are unable to return an item they purchased. These situations usually take calm guidance and advising the customer to contact management if they are unsatisfied once we are finished.
Its fun
Customer service, cashier, store organization (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON6 December 2016
I like working at fabricland. You get to put away material and organize it and speak to wonderful costumer. You work on cash and that is a little chanlenging to some staff. Management all seemed stress out.
Pros
Its fun
Cons
Not enought money
Cutting Fabric
Sales Associate/Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 September 2015
The work is good, you arrive, someone is always at the table waiting for you to cut their fabric so immediately you are put to work but it's a laid-back environment and everybody helps everybody out and you can take a break whenever you need to no one clocks your lunches or yells at you if you have a tea on the floor my only complaint is, rather then give everyone more hours, they hire new workers which means it doesn't pay enough to live on unless you live at home with your parents or you are retired and looking for a hobby. It can never be your career or only job if you are living on your own and trying to actually move ahead in life and although it is promised you'll get benefits, you never actually get any benefits. All full time employees had to work there 6+ years to get where they are and even they get part time hours sometimes.
Pros
Great Admisphere
Cons
not enough hours/wage to live on
Very Good Co-worker relations.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
My co-workers at the two locations I worked at were very knowledgeable and taught me a lot about sewing, calculating yardage and responsibility. Some upper management position were light on training new employees, which did lead to some problems. You need to have initiative to get ahead of the next day and to keep busy on slower days.
Pros
Good community, Lots of knowledge gained, fun clientele.
Cons
Idle hands, more training needed
Fun place to work, Perks of loving to sew
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 January 2017
Managed a staff of 12.

Liked going into work daily and meeting new customers.

Perk of the job was being able to sew new creations every month to showcase the fabrics we had received.
This job was terrible.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  st albert, alberts27 June 2014
I was offered this job, and quickly promoted to Assistant Manager. The store manager was wonderful to work with, however our district manager (whose office was in our store) conducted herself in a VERY unprofessional manner, often ignoring blatant crimes committed against staff and trying to 'sweep things under the rug'.
The pay and benefits package were a joke. in a management role, only making 10.10 per hour AFTER a year, with no bonuses or commission was ridiculous. many employees are forced to work a second fulltime job in order to make ends meet, and staff were regularily abused by the district manager
Cons
long hours, terrible pay, poor working conditions, lack of professionalism
enjoyed helping costumers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON26 October 2016
clean the floors and wash rooms
help costumers find things figure out needed amounts and cut it for them
enjoyed seeing things they did
Fabricland is relevant to my lifestyle
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC19 September 2016
Working at Fabricland was enjoyable for me due to:

- The relevancy to my main hobby, sewing
- Opportunities to learn new techniques, methods and processes related to sewing
- Creative support from co-workers
fun work place with nice and friendly people who are willing to help
Mover (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON20 September 2016
It was a great place to work because everyone was so nice, you got the perfect amount of breaks. I learned to be very attentive
Fun to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 July 2016
Everyone was so nice there. Working there it felt like I was apart of another family. And you learn so much working there from your other coworkers or even customers let you in on some of there tricks not to mention when working there you can display some of your work to show others the different things that they can do with some of the products that they sell.
Pros
discounts on all fabric
Cons
not enough hours
sales associate
Sales Associate/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC3 April 2016
I worked at Fabricland for 2 months, I didn't have full time work, in fact no employees besides management had full time shifts.
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
no job security
Fun working place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON8 April 2016
It was fun working place,l learn about lot of different fabrics and product. The management and staff fun to working.The hardest part of the job was heavy lifting. the most enjoyable part of the job was talking to customer and serving them what they need.
Pros
.5hrs
Cons
8hrs
nice work place
Merchandiser/Reciever (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2014
its was a quite nice job, receiving and stocking,labeling and putting merchandise on the right place are the things i learned in working in the company
Pros
comfortable workplace
Cons
no benefits
Upbeat and stimulating workplace with friendly customers
Cashier/Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 August 2014
A typical shift at Fabricland for me included opening the store, counting the deposit and making floats for both of our tills. I would manage cash and receive orders, as well as supervising breaks for my coworkers. I would later close the store and do the nightly deposit at the bank.
Management was always happy to answer any questions I had and my co-workers were very easy-going. At Fabricland we would sometimes have to deal with belligerent customers and that was difficult but as long as I managed to keep calm and listen to their concerns it always worked out for both parties in the end.
I enjoyed making displays and answering customers questions, I always liked the feeling of when I helped them find exactly what they wanted or needed.
Pros
Busy, Day went by fast
Cons
Not enough hours
Not the best place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 April 2014
In a predominantly female environment there is very little encouragement or support. There is a lot of information regarding sewing that can be gleaned from staff and shoppers. The work is not easy with a lot of lifting. Most of the management lacks training and basic interpersonal skills. Some of the co-workers can be very kind and supportive but unfortunately there are those that lean toward back biting, untrustworthy, generally miserable behaviour.
It is a thankless, underpaid, physically demanding job as a sales associate.
There are occasionally people that do make the job rewarding, unfortunately they are counterbalanced by those that make it awful.
Its a fun, interesting place, you learn something new everyday
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 November 2015
As assistant manager I do a little of everything from cashing, deposits, inventory, cutting fabric, schedules, ordering, dealing with a wide range of customers. Trouble shooting when problems arise. I do love it all. Just not the income, to be honest.
Pros
We do get alot of free lunches, dinners. Great deals of products.
Cons
Red tape from head office.
Creativity
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kamloops22 July 2015
Arrive for day shift at 8:30 or 9:45am daily bookkeeping, day schedule, banking, met with sales clerks gave direction for day, setting up cash registers, attended customers wants and needs. Arrive for afternoon shift 1:15pm relieved morning manager for lunch dealt with any items that need attention. The hardest part of job was not having computers to do the reordering of stock. The most enjoyable part of job was inspiring the public with their wants and needs
Pros
Inspiring the public with their projects
A great job for fashion designers and people starting out in the work force
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 December 2013
As a fabric store Fabricland provides a wide range of fabrics and sewing accessories as well as drapery hardware and bedding supplies. I was a customer service representative but also someone who looked after the store. The job helped pay for my first year of university however when business got slow they had to cut us back. I stayed with this job as long as I could but I had to quit going into my final year of university. If you want to work for Fabricland I would recommend getting a degree in fashion but you have great staff who can teach you the odds and ends of what customers require. I learned alot with this job including how to cut fabric. I became an expert at it. All and all a good job to start out in the work force but an even better job with a fashion degree.
it was a generallly easy going place you did what you had to really
inventory (Former Employee) –  multiple14 June 2015
only reasons its rated low is simply because my sister once worked here and she worked here for like 7 years and she should have been like assistant manager or something but they got someone else from some other fabricland to do it so they pretty much shafted her
Pros
they gave us free food
Cons
it was a bit long
Great place - would not hesitate to work there again if I could pay the bills on min. wage...
Sales, Customer Service, Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB27 July 2015
Great staff, very engaged. Fun place to be, Customers in general very nice, but sometimes challenging to deal with. The money is not great, but the hours are very accommodating for part time positions.
Pros
Free food during special sales and events like inventory
Cons
retail hours, so some evenings, weekends and holidays...