Fabricland Employee Reviews

Very positive workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 January 2018
I loved working there, everyone was very helpful, and I would have loved to work there longer if I could have. Everyone was very nice to everyone, and looked out for each other.
The hardest part would have been finding that perfect fabric for the customer.
the most enjoyable part would be helping the new customers find exactly what they wanted, either finding that perfect pattern to make something extra special or helping a regular find that little extra to make that perfect present for their special someone.
Pros
Free patterns once and a while, discount on everything, very creative workplace, free garments.
Great place to work.
Human Resources Manager (National) (Current Employee) –  Toronto Head Office20 November 2017
Inclusive and diverse workplace environment which allows professionals the opportunity to innovate. Fabricland offers stability and a positive, supportive work environment.
good good times
Stockroom Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 October 2017
I worked here right out of high school. I made life long friends here. It was a fun laid back working experience. If the pay was better I wouldn't mind working there again.
Co-workers make working here enjoyble and tolerable
Night Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 September 2017
The management structure in this company is archaic, sexist and based on a 1950's business structure. The owners lack basic communication skills with their managers, assistant managers and sales associates. There is a huge disconnect between the owners and each individual store. There is little to no support for employment growth.

Management at the store I work at do not have a background or training in management skills. This lack of preparedness is evident in the lack of productivity and future thinking that is clearly evident in the kind of customers we are attracting versus the type we could attract if there was fluid communication with higher management, on going training for store managers and on-going training and product knowledge for floor staff. With all of these disconnects so apparent at this store it sadness me to see its potential and not be able to show management and upper management its capacity for growth and advancement.
Pros
The other employees and customers are wonderful people
Cons
Constant fluctuating time schedules and inconsistent and unreliable hours
educational, tedious
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 September 2017
It's a good job to start out learning about fabric, but from someone's point of view who is coming from a fashion background it's an easy job to start with. An can be a little insulting to your skills, the way some customers question you, even though they ask for your option in the first place.
So I would recommend it to someone just starting in the industry or need each money from another job, their decently flexible.
Pros
paid lunches, bonuses
Cons
poor management, not willing to upgrade their methods
Boring
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manitoba6 September 2017
Nothing ever happened, we got lunch provided, the supervisowas chill but her boss wasnt, alot of disagreements between staff and no room for advancement.
Pros
Lunch provided
Good work environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 August 2017
Management was not very strong. There was conflict between management. For the amount of work required for the job the pay was not enough. There are no competitive wages making it pretty well impossible to go anywhere with the company. A highlight are company benefits and on big sales days lunch is provided. Co-workers were supportive of each other in conflicts and got along well.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Doesn't pay well, not enough constructive work to do
Incompetent management, grubby store
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 July 2017
I worked here many years ago so this review may no longer be relevant. I had a manager that mis-handled how we did inventory and I ended up with a back injury that has haunted me ever since. The same manager then refused to fill out my injury form. She didn't seem to know how.
Fun, friendly workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, Ontario.10 July 2017
I enjoyed coming to work because of the lovely people I worked with. It was very casual and relaxed. I typically worked on the shop floor serving customers, cutting fabric/trims, providing advice and assistance. I restocked supplies frequently and consistently checked my work space to ensure tidiness and safety.

Customer assistance and response was always my priority, and I frequently felt the reward of my efforts when told how helpful I was - either by the customer or by another co-worker.

The hardest (or least favourite) part of the job was working in drapery and upholstery. I primarily worked in the fashion department, so I found the task of working out chair and window measurements the most trying part of the job.

A major perk of the job was the free staff displays. The store budgeted the cost of fabric, supplies and a current pattern design, which staff were free to select and create a garment which would be displayed in store for a month. At the end of the month we were free to take the garment home.
Pros
Free staff displays, paid lunch hour
Cons
Constant standing, lifting heavy items
I enjoyed the position.. .Co-workers and management worked well as a team
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON11 June 2017
Overall Fabricland is a good place to work, positive and fun environment, helpful management and always a learning experience. There was always an opportunity to be creative with crafting and sewing projects to be displayed in the store. While a large part of this position was to assist the customer, often I learned something valuable from the customers.
Pros
Always a chance to be creative and continue to learn
Cons
Slightly unorganized
Productive and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON30 May 2017
This place is overall very good. I enjoyed my time working here and it allowed my experience of work to grow and become stronger. I learned a lot of new things.
Creative and friendly environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2017
The people who work here have a passion for the industry and those who work here full-time tend to stay here for a long time. Management is understanding and fair and has an open door policy and they welcome new ideas and feedback from staff.

Generally speaking, a great place to work. A warm and friendly environment. Results are expected, as anywhere, but there is a lot of support for employees to help them achieve their goals. Good emphasis on health and safety.
Pros
paid lunches, staff discounts, supportive head office management
inspiring, creative and productive environment
Sales Assistant/Fabric and Textiles Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 May 2017
a very customer oriented bussiness, with many innovative opportunities for creative types. alot of one on one and problem solving is required. the atmopsphere is very relaxed and organized. positions applicable to those with skilled backgrounds in sewing and upholstery.
It's a great place!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON20 March 2017
I love working at Fabricland, a typical day would involve organising, and straightening up fabrics, helping customers, cutting fabric, working cash, and cleaning. The most enjoyable part of my job is my job itself, I love working here, and I enjoy being able to work here.
Pros
The people
Cons
Low hours
great work environment
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 March 2017
The people at the store I worked at were great to work with. In fact all the stores I have had the opportunity to work in ( during Inventory) had a great work environment.
Pros
people you work with
Cons
management
medium paced, flexible work environment requiring specialized knowledge
Retail Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 February 2017
Fabricland is a great place to work if you require flexible work or a small, supplemental income. There are not many opportunities for advancement within the company, and staff turnover is low. There are many perks, including a staff discount, sample garment program and staff pattern programs. It is a medium-pace environment with a small number of staff (typically 10-15 staff members per store). It is an ideal place to work if you have previous knowledge about sewing and textiles, and want to implement your skills in a casual environment where customer service is of the utmost importance.
Pros
staff pattern program, discounts, sample garment program
Cons
heavy lifting
Fun place to work, Perks of loving to sew
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 January 2017
Managed a staff of 12.

Liked going into work daily and meeting new customers.

Perk of the job was being able to sew new creations every month to showcase the fabrics we had received.
Its fun
Customer service, cashier, store organization (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON6 December 2016
I like working at fabricland. You get to put away material and organize it and speak to wonderful costumer. You work on cash and that is a little chanlenging to some staff. Management all seemed stress out.
Pros
Its fun
Cons
Not enought money
enjoyed helping costumers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON26 October 2016
clean the floors and wash rooms
help costumers find things figure out needed amounts and cut it for them
enjoyed seeing things they did
fun work place with nice and friendly people who are willing to help
Mover (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON20 September 2016
It was a great place to work because everyone was so nice, you got the perfect amount of breaks. I learned to be very attentive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fabricland. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9