FIRST STUDENT is hiring part-time School Bus Drivers
If you enjoy driving and working with children, this could be the perfect, secure, part-time job for you. As a School Bus Driver, you will have a chance to make a difference in a child’s life, and maybe your own as well. We welcome caring people who want a predictable, steady income supplement without having to work nights, weekends, holidays or school breaks.
Professional experience is not required to become a School Bus Driver – we are most interested in hiring dependable, caring people, who like dealing with the public and helping children, who are truly committed to SAFETY and who understand the importance of following the rules. Many of our drivers are stay-at-home moms or dads, recent retirees, and people with flexible home-based businesses. They enjoy the job because the part-time hours suit their lifestyles, and because they get a kick out of helping children and being an important part of the education process. Best of all, our School Bus Drivers know they’re making a difference in their community and, ultimately, in a child’s life. Generally, openings are for full-size school buses, but some locations also have smaller school buses & vans, as well as wheelchair school purposes vehicles and wheelchair / smaller vehicle opportunities. All vehicles are automatic. While many locations have immediate openings for drivers during the school year, some may have a waiting list.
FIRST STUDENT is now providing very friendly, free training for steady part-time School Bus Drivers and, in some cases, back-up and/or spare drivers. The training is not too difficult, and it’s not too easy, but we do our best to make it as friendly and easy as possible for you.
Hours of Work:
- Approximately 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM, Monday to Friday (September to June) on school days, only (exact times vary depending on school hours and individual routes).
- In many cases, there is potential for optional/additional work such as field & charter trips during the school year and the summer. Our school bus drivers are not required to work on weekends, evenings or school holidays. While additional work may be available, it is not mandatory.
As a part-time School Bus Driver, you will be expected to:
- Safely drive students to and from school, following a prescribed route, on a daily basis during the school year.
- Perform daily vehicle circle check safety inspections, documenting & reporting according to company, school & government regulations.
- Comply with all company & government regulations, laws & policies.
- Communicate clearly and interact with parents, school employees, passengers, co-workers & the general public in a courteous, professional manner.
To be considered for a part-time School Bus Driver position, you MUST:
- Meet the minimum age requirements to hold a school bus driver’s licence in your province (and company standard minimum 21 years of age).
- Be willing & able to successfully complete our training program. While professional experience may be helpful, it is not required, as we provide completely free, friendly, professional training.
- Have at least 3 years of driving experience, with at least 1 of those years in North America.
- Hold a valid (non-probationary) driver's licence for the province in which you are applying.
- Enjoy driving and working with children.
- Possess a very good driving record.
- Communicate clearly in English or French (depending on the area and school district requirements).
- Undergo & pass a Ministry prescribed Medical examination.
- Undergo drug testing, a criminal record search, vulnerable sector clearance and other background checks with satisfactory results.
- Not have a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
- Be safety-minded, courteous, and able to demonstrate an appreciation for the importance of customer service.
- Ideally, have experience working with children & the public.
Rate of Pay: Varies by location, length of route & vehicle type, but is usually favourable when compared to other part-time pay rates.
Do you have a pre-schooler? In some locations (if not prohibited by school district regulations), you may be allowed to bring your pre-schooler with you on the route. (Ask about child ride-along details.)
If you or someone you know would like to enquire further about becoming a part-time School Bus Driver with First Student, or to apply, please call 1-877-914-KIDS.
First Student is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity
Check us out on Facebook at www.facebook.com/firststudentcanadajobs