EY Employee Reviews

Despite what they tell you this is not a people friendly environment
Senior Global Immigration Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 July 2015
Management is very poor and not qualified for the position. There is no team spirit at all neither is it being promoted. Decisions are being made without consultation with staff.

The work life balance is probably one of the key advantages. Otherwise not a good place to work at least based on my experience in the specific service line.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
poor management, too much redtape, limited advancement opportunity
internhip
HR Coordinaor - Generalist (Current Employee) –  Longueuil, QC2 January 2016
Great company. Very little work/life balance (8am-7pm), no company culture. The tasks are stimulating and challenging but the environment is far from ideal.
Professional and Energetic place to work.
Manager - Assurance (Former Employee) –  Kuwait24 July 2012
I always looked forward to going to work each morning at EY. It was a place filled with professionals and individuals with enthusiasm and energy to lead. Having spent more than 10 years of my life I have learnt project management and technical skills. Partners have been very supportive throughout my career. My co-workers have been friendly and compatabile. Work life balance has been a challenge however my project management skills had helped me face it. Always on the edge, meeting deadlines, continously having to be abreast of the standards and interpretations, having to interact with senior client personnel (Owners, Board Audit Committee,CEO, CFO etc) was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
ey has been an educational platform.
Cons
long working hours yet satisfying and enriching
Good Balance
Immigration Billing Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 April 2016
Ernst & Young Law LLP has a great work life balance that allows anyone to meet commitments outside of work hours, if need be.
Great place to learn
Senior Staff Accountant, Toronto Audit Group (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2016
Great firm as a new graduate and CPA candidate. Great people and culture. Learn a lot here and everyone was willing to help you.
Opportunity to work with highly skilled teams in a positive environment
Administrative Assistant and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario18 February 2014
Working in a team atmosphere in the management consulting and research areas I had an opportunity to work with highly skilled people who encouraged knowledge sharing and personal advancement. Some work days were long when working on deadlines but there were often rewards to compensate. The only reason I left this position was because I relocated too far away to commute and I have regretted it ever since. A great place to work and a great company culture.
good place to work for external client serving staff
CBS Staff (Former Employee) –  AB8 January 2016
Training and other perks are available to external client serving staff; however, staff in internal service units, base on my personal experience, as they don't generate revenue, are marginalized in many ways.

On the bright side, internal service staff in general enjoy more work-life balance though the difference of amount and significance of their work as opposed to their external service counterparts is well reflected on the paychecks.
Excellent place to work
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Young, Mexico21 August 2015
EY provides professional and personal growth to all the employees combined with a good salary and benefits. The job culture is magnificent all the procedures and policies were created to benefit the employees and the organization as well.
Pros
professional growth
Cons
Over time
Chance to learn from the best
Manager, Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 May 2015
EY is a firm with brilliant and driven people. The culture is that of results, but there is also a good amount of coaching available.

There is no typical day at work, as I belong to the consulting team, working with clients on project-based initiatives.

Throughout my time at EY, I have had the opportunity to drive and lead multiple projects, mostly in the procurement area. The work is rewarding, and allowed me to grow professionally with a great influx in knowledge and project management responsibilities.
Pros
Get to work with smart, driven people
Cons
Travel
great
Tax (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 November 2015
Great place to be: culture and educational opportunities are second to none provided you have support from management
Experience Hire Recruiting
Experience Hire Recruitment(Talent Acquisition) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 April 2016
A result and performance oriented professional with 8+ years of diverse experience in customer/client facing roles. Excellent presentation and communication skills.Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with a go-getter attitude
A lot of work for little pay
Senior Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto19 April 2015
Too much work given to individuals with low salary.
Alot of learning opportunities for people starting their career
People are great, culture is not there because everyone is always working
Monkey say monkey do
Field Services / Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2013
Worked here for 5 years in their IT department. After 2.5 years they globalized IT. My manager changed and suddenly what used to be a nice place to work wasn't all that nice anymore. Would show up for work, do my work and go home. The perfect work/life balance as once you leave work you wipe your hands clean. Management was horrible as my manager failed to manage people properly. Just because you worked for the same company for 25 years doean't mean you have what it takes to be a manager. I will stop there as there's just too much to talk about. One word is micromanagement.

The hardest part of the job is knowing that no one moves around in the IT sector of the company unless someone leaves or someone dies. If you are in any department other than Core Business Services (CBS) you're in good hands. All my manager wanted me to do was sit at my desk and do my work and go home. No encouragement for taking courses other than stupid online web based ones which only benefit the company itself. For the people that fall under CBS, good luck getting a raise when another recession comes along as people outside CBS got a raise and people within got shafted. My fault as my lazyness kept me working here for another 4 years.

The difference between everyone else and CBS.
Jr. Staff Accountants become managers in 4-5 years
IT Analyst in still an IT Analyst in 5-6 years

If you don't work in CBS working here a few years will do you justice. If you work in CBS, god help you.
Pros
the best work/life balance
Cons
no room for advancement within cbs
Learn lots
Senior Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 December 2015
Great people, lots to learn
Great learning environment for those pursuing CPA designation, excellent educational program to prepare for Common Final Evaluation (CFE)
Lacks work life balance
Employer of choice
Assistant Manager - Tax (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2016
EY is a great organisation to work with multiple options to grow and explore and is a great place for women employees to work.
PMM-Ernst & Young Toronto
Audit Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2015
Very bad Management.
No chances to get any kind of training and coaching from management.
Specially PMM-Group Manager and Partners are the worst people in the professional world.
Senior Manager always ready to put the blame on Junior.
Partners and Senior Manager treat staff as a second class citizens.
Cons
Long Hours
Great company with many opportunities!
Lawyer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2016
I really enjoyed working at Ernst & Young and would recommend it to anyone. I worked with their tax group and only left after having been offered another position that I could not turn down (not with one of their competitors).
Long hours, little vacations
Technology (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 March 2014
Work Work Work. Salary is not bad but long hours and little vacation days, so overall, the pay is not any better than other companies for similar roles. If you are not a CA, don't work for EY. No one appreciates your hard work. Though company expects you to work for 24/7.
Pros
Nice to show off that you work for "EY"
Cons
long hours, little vacations, no personal life.
I have enjoyed the work/life balance arrangements!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 April 2012
I have worked with Ernst & Young LLP for the past eight years, and I really enjoy the management teams and their work/life balance arrangements for most parents or employees with special personal life requirements.
Great Firm, culture, people
Learning & Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 October 2015
Incredible work culture, continuous learning, tremendous mentoring 360, people are through and through professional and always willing to engage and support.