EY Employee Reviews

Hard work can pay off
DATA ANALYTICS CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2016
I have worked in EY for approximately 1 year and it is a truly fun place to work. Mind you, you will work extensive hours but as a staff/ senior you make overtime so it balances out a little. Due to the extensive hours it is a bit impeding on your personal time but what job isn't?

I've learned a tremendous amount of business politics and management consulting above anything else.

Co-workers are great people. My advice is to observe carefully everyone. Observation is a key principle to take away from this job.
Excellent place to start a career
Senior at Ernst & Young (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 September 2016
Excellent work environment, great people, inclusive culture
Dynamic and fun place to work, great opportunities for advancement and excellent compensation.
Good global presence
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2016
A great place to work. Innovative technology. Great team and camaraderie. Loved the culture there.
Fun place to work. Several events during the year and we were well fed. The hardest part of the job was there was no opportunity to move upward.
Pros
During summer we were given extra long weekends off.
Cons
Management should work on long term people retention
Great place to develop and gain experience
Assistant Director of Finance - Tax Service Line (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2016
You get more experience than you would working in easy 9-5 jobs but it comes at the cost of long work hours, working over weekends and even holidays.

Pay is not competitive in Finance roles when compared to other companies. But working for here is comparable to going to a prestigious school, once you're done with it you'll have a really big name to back you up.

There is a focus on work-life balance but it is all bluff and not real. If you work your 40 hours a week you're seen as lazy and same if you take advantage of working from home. The culture is work extended hours regardless if there isn't any work to get through.

Work politics are a big part of this firm, network yourself well and you'll move up quickly and you'll have a good time working. But do the opposite and you'll hate what you do.
Pros
Good social events and great benefits package
Cons
Long hours, Office politics
Would not work here again
Immigration law clerk (Former Employee) –  Alberta10 February 2016
I worked here as a clerk for a year. It was the most hostile work environment I have ever worked in. The management team consisted of 5 lawyers and 4 managers, all of whom were female. It was difficult to work under 9 female managers, especially when there was clear animosity between said management. Staff were treated like minions, working overtime consistently and being scrutinized when overtime was submitted to management for review. But not working overtime resulted in management considering you to be a poor, lazy worker. The people who thrive in this environment are people who do not care for a work/life balance, have little regard for other human beings, and have robotic like tendencies. Not a fit for you if you are mostly human and care to have a social life.

Most clerks I worked with complained of anxiety, stress, and even depression on a consistent basis.

Toxic horrible place to work.
Pros
health benefits were inexpensive and very good
Cons
management, hours, pay, hostility, environment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2016
Enjoyed working at EY, grew in my career path, excellent team to work with. Enjoyed glorious days at EY. Gained a lot of varied experience and exposure
Pros
Great people culture
Cons
Family oriented
A perfect place for new graduate student to begin career.
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  杭州市6 October 2016
In peak season, we always go to clients' office do field work and we have to finish our work under time pressure.
I have learned good communication skills with clients, managers, other experts and colleagues.
Time management is extreme important to do this job.
After applicate and use my professional knowledge learned at school in working, I had a huge improvement on my technical skills and accounting, business knowledge.
Colleagues are excellent people. we should work together, live together, share interest things together.
great work culture and lot of on the job coaching to enhance learning skills
Senior Consultant Risk Advisory (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2016
Ernst and Young provided me the opportunity to learn a lot and thus enhance my skills. The open work culture helped a lot to make the atmosphere friendly and work better. The most important benefit was to meet clients and work for financial sectors like TD Bank, Home Trust Company, Ontario Pension Board, etc. This helped me to improve my client facing skills and improve my communication skills. Also co workers were very helpful.
Excellent opportunities to grow and learn
Engagement Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 October 2016
- Focused on client delivery
- Driving additional initiatives - FSO Lunch & Learn , FSO Townhall Committee
- Managed resources to deliver client engagements
- Cross functional teams
- Diversity
Pros
Cross cultural learning
Cons
Limited work life balance
Good Learning environment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Philippines18 November 2016
good working relationship with colleagues and direct superiors. I have been exposed with different aspects of accounting cycle which has become a foundation of my professional experience
Pros
Career Advancement
Cons
Long working hours
Its a great place to work with supportive seniors and managers, its like working in a family business
Tax Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 July 2016
Great place, great people, great leader, always ready to help, its like working with friends and family, Good Salary for starter, great benefits,
Pros
Everything can be counted as pros
Cons
SLow time of the year, hard to kill a day with time sheet
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2016
EY is a great place to work and the recognition from management is given to each employee. The Company recognizes how busy things can get and supports all its employees as much as possible.
Extremely positive work culture with variety of assignments under the risk advisory function
RISK CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  THE RUBY, DADAR, MUMBAI13 September 2016
A typical day at work for me as a risk advisory consultant would be taking a review from subordinates for previous day's work and delegating the day's work to them.

Would involve designing of test steps to analyze the level of risk a media company faces in various functions like - marketing, hr, broadcasting, editorial, etc.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be the liberty to interact with clients and the independence given by seniors to take decisions.
challenging and constantly getting feedback from managers and co-workers
Senior Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 September 2016
work starts 8:30 and ends 5:00 during regular seasons,
more overtime during busy season (around 10hours perday)
conduct field work at the client's site
get coached by senior staff and managers
prepare and document the working papers
get the managers to review the working papers
clear the review notes from managers
have to study the CPA knowledge after work
co-workers are very helpful
managerment are very experienced
Stay away
Manager Financial Services Risk Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto18 March 2016
Typical day at work - until very late night
There is a lot to learn - But that comes with the stress of not having weekends or personal life.
Management - Hit and miss, some departments might have reasonable managers others have it really bad
Co-workers - Most co-workers were nice since we spent that much time in office together. Still, some were eager to step on bodies to move up.
Pros
Many things to learn
Cons
You give your life for this
Productive and recognition to the hard work
Supervising Associate Facility Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 May 2016
My day-to-day job involves efficiently managing others, communicating complex data to the technical team and breaking down this information for clients and stakeholders.

Problem-solving and troubleshooting are tasks which I face on a daily basis and am confident at resolving. When there is an issue, as often happens in facility operation, I am sure to investigate the issue fully, scope out the best methods to resolve it, probe implications of each method, and communicate the data clearly with all relevant team members.
EY (co-op to Manager)
Manager, Assurance Services (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 June 2016
Fantastic place to start your career where you work with smart people, in a fast paced environment where a lot is expected.
Awesome culture
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2015
EY is a great place to work and learn. It has great culture and great people to work with. Management is polite and always ready to hear how their teams are doing and what can be done to make them grow in their career.
internhip
HR Coordinaor - Generalist (Current Employee) –  Longueuil, QC2 January 2016
Great company. Very little work/life balance (8am-7pm), no company culture. The tasks are stimulating and challenging but the environment is far from ideal.
Good Balance
Immigration Billing Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 April 2016
Ernst & Young Law LLP has a great work life balance that allows anyone to meet commitments outside of work hours, if need be.