EY

EY Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Monkey say monkey do
Field Services / Desktop Support (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 14, 2013
Pros: the best work/life balance
Cons: no room for advancement within cbs
Worked here for 5 years in their IT department. After 2.5 years they globalized IT. My manager changed and suddenly what used to be a nice place to work wasn't all that nice anymore. Would show up for work, do my work and go home. The perfect work/life balance as once you leave work you wipe your hands clean. Management was horrible as my manager failed to manage people properly. Just because you worked for the same company for 25 years doean't mean you have what it takes to be a manager. I will stop there as there's just too much to talk about. One word is micromanagement.

The hardest part of the job is knowing that no one moves around in the IT sector of the company unless someone leaves or someone dies. If you are in any department other than Core Business Services (CBS) you're in good hands. All my manager wanted me to do was sit at my desk and do my work and go home. No encouragement for taking courses other than stupid online web based ones which only benefit the company itself. For the people that fall under CBS, good luck getting a raise when another recession comes along as people outside CBS got a raise and people within got shafted. My fault as my lazyness kept me working here for another 4 years.

The difference between everyone else and CBS.
Jr. Staff Accountants become managers in 4-5 years
IT Analyst in still an IT Analyst in 5-6 years

If you don't work in CBS working here a few years will do you justice. If you work in CBS, god help you.
Ernst & Young- Executive Assistant
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 14, 2014
Pros: education could be paid from 50-100% depending on what i took, very reputable company, learned a lot of my executive level skills from working here
Cons: some people asked a lot of me and it was not possible when i worked for so many people, i would oftentimes burn myself out because i had trouble saying no or delegating.
A lot of calendaring for my executive and some of the other senior level employees.
External and internal meetings as I worked in Advisory Services. This was a very FAST paced environment.
Here I learned to enjoy the fast pace and really time manage.
We submitted a lot of proposals so I am very familiar with editing/polishing powerpoints etc. for presentations to C-suite externals.
the hardest part of the job was making sure everything was done by deadline and so that put a lot of stress on me. It was my first job out of university so I really value the time I worked at EY for I was taught and learned on my own how to handle high pressure situations.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when we won a bid and I knew that I helped contribute to that success.

Management and procedures were very organized and there was room for growth. This place was not hypocritical in their values and they did provide growth for their employees.

Co-workers were either really great to work with (regarded me as a friend and co-worker) regardless of what level. OR they were hierarchical and I did not like this. It was quite a big organization so I didn't get the tight family feeling I receive most times at CPPIB.
Great place to develop and gain experience
Assistant Director of Finance - Tax Service Line (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: Good social events and great benefits package
Cons: Long hours, Office politics
You get more experience than you would working in easy 9-5 jobs but it comes at the cost of long work hours, working over weekends and even holidays.

Pay is not competitive in Finance roles when compared to other companies. But working for here is comparable to going to a prestigious school, once you're done with it you'll have a really big name to back you up.

There is a focus on work-life balance but it is all bluff and not real. If you work your 40 hours a week you're seen as lazy and same if you take advantage of working from home. The culture is work extended hours regardless if there isn't any work to get through.

Work politics are a big part of this firm, network yourself well and you'll move up quickly and you'll have a good time working. But do the opposite and you'll hate what you do.
EY
SENIOR PROGRAM MANAGER (Current Employee), Toronto ONDecember 9, 2014
Excellent Top 5 consulting firm. Located Globally around the world.

Ernst & Young (known as EY) is a multinational professional services firm headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It was the third largest professional services firm in the world by aggregated revenue in 2012 and is one of the "Big Four" audit firms

The organization operates as a network of member firms which are separate legal entities in individual countries. It has 190,000 employees and more than 700 offices in over 150 countries. It provides assurance (including financial audit), tax, consulting and advisory services to companies

The firm dates back to 1849 with the founding of Harding & Pullein in England. The current firm was formed by a merger of Ernst & Whinney and Arthur Young & Co. in 1989.[9] It was known as Ernst & Young until 2013, when it underwent a rebranding to EY. The acronym "EY" was already an informal name for the firm prior to its official adoption
Professional and Energetic place to work.
Manager - Assurance (Former Employee), KuwaitJuly 24, 2012
Pros: ey has been an educational platform.
Cons: long working hours yet satisfying and enriching
I always looked forward to going to work each morning at EY. It was a place filled with professionals and individuals with enthusiasm and energy to lead. Having spent more than 10 years of my life I have learnt project management and technical skills. Partners have been very supportive throughout my career. My co-workers have been friendly and compatabile. Work life balance has been a challenge however my project management skills had helped me face it. Always on the edge, meeting deadlines, continously having to be abreast of the standards and interpretations, having to interact with senior client personnel (Owners, Board Audit Committee,CEO, CFO etc) was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Chance to learn from the best
Manager, Supply Chain (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 4, 2015
Pros: Get to work with smart, driven people
Cons: Travel
EY is a firm with brilliant and driven people. The culture is that of results, but there is also a good amount of coaching available.

There is no typical day at work, as I belong to the consulting team, working with clients on project-based initiatives.

Throughout my time at EY, I have had the opportunity to drive and lead multiple projects, mostly in the procurement area. The work is rewarding, and allowed me to grow professionally with a great influx in knowledge and project management responsibilities.
Productive and fun place to work - you work with people who work hard and play hard
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONAugust 12, 2013
Pros: lots of parties
Cons: having to do back up jobs on a regular basis
Days can range from CRAZY BUSY to a slow pace when not tax time.
Learned to give your best each day - bring a positive attitude and a can do attitude to work
Good management
Friendly coworkers
Doing back up jobs on a regular basis
Being the hub of the wheel and meeting deadlines.
good place to work for external client serving staff
CBS Staff (Former Employee), ABJanuary 8, 2016
Training and other perks are available to external client serving staff; however, staff in internal service units, base on my personal experience, as they don't generate revenue, are marginalized in many ways.

On the bright side, internal service staff in general enjoy more work-life balance though the difference of amount and significance of their work as opposed to their external service counterparts is well reflected on the paychecks.
not too good
Senior Global Immigration Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: good employee perks
Cons: management
micromanagement and too much work, expectations unreal, I especially didn't like that I had to work with many managers on a daily basis and all of them had different requests for the same processes and they would change their requests all the time for the same subject matter and would blame on the employee, very poor management
Fast paced environment which keeps you on your toes
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2014
The Partners, Principals, Vice-Presidents, and Associates were a great group to work for.

My co-workers were ready and able to assist me with time sensitive projects, as I was ready to assist them.

I really enjoyed the variety of mandates which kept your interest in various projects.
Long hours, little vacations
Technology (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2014
Pros: nice to show off that you work for "ey"
Cons: long hours, little vacations, no personal life.
Work Work Work. Salary is not bad but long hours and little vacation days, so overall, the pay is not any better than other companies for similar roles. If you are not a CA, don't work for EY. No one appreciates your hard work. Though company expects you to work for 24/7.
PMM-Ernst & Young Toronto
Audit Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 21, 2015
Cons: long hours
Very bad Management.
No chances to get any kind of training and coaching from management.
Specially PMM-Group Manager and Partners are the worst people in the professional world.
Senior Manager always ready to put the blame on Junior.
Partners and Senior Manager treat staff as a second class citizens.
Great first finance experience
Billing Technician Internship (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 14, 2015
• Responsible for the entire billing process for the Human Capital Tax Group

• Produced Work-In-Process reports, review data with Client Serving Executives based on a weekly schedule

• Review and analyze data in Excel and produce necessary attachments in client requested format to accompany the invoice
Productive and great team
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 1, 2014
Pros: vacation days, long weekends in the summer
I have had an amazing experience with my current opportunity and have learned and grown very much in my 4 and a half years. I have also built a great rapport with many different people and service lines within the company.
Great company
Senior Information and Research Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 4, 2015
I enjoy working at EY. The work/life balance is valued here. People are always willing to help when you need it. I have been here over 7 years and, so far, have no desire to leave.
Excellent
Senior Advisor, Financial Services Risk Management (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 3, 2014
a typical day at work - Good
what you learned - Consulting
management - Good
your co-workers - Good
the hardest part of the job - Extensive travel - but i liked it.
the most enjoyable part of the job - Meeting new people almost every new project
Consultant (Current Employee), TorontoAugust 5, 2013
Pros: extra holidays over long weekends
Cons: technology could be better
EY is good place to work. Like all places, has its challenges but I would recommend EY to any prospective job seeker. Get in early and work hard - results will follow.
Too much work pressure at month end , specially on year end.
Financial Consultant (Former Employee), Young, SKOctober 9, 2012
Pros: free lunch and some times dinner too.
Cons: generally works on 7 days in a week.
Late sittings are very common. Worl load was also much but benefits were also very lucrative.
Na
Auditor, Senior Staff Accountant (Former Employee), vancouver, bcOctober 23, 2015
EY had a challenging environment which is expected for a public practice firm. However, it allowed me to learn fundamental financial skills that i use even today. It was because of EY that I was able to become a professional accountant today.
Awesome culture
Project Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 17, 2015
EY is a great place to work and learn. It has great culture and great people to work with. Management is polite and always ready to hear how their teams are doing and what can be done to make them grow in their career.
Revenue