Extra Foods Employee Reviews

Cashier
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB29 January 2018
Being a cashier was an easy summer job for me. I was attending school and needed a summer job. It was quite easy, I ran groceries through the till for customers and after each shift I counted the money and gave it to the head cashier.
Odd and hard to work there
was cashier (Former Employee) –  Cardston, AB21 January 2018
I was no happy with the atmosphere of the other workers, do to there overall lack of ambition in all there in employees and the way all managers treat there employees like there personal tug matts there for use only when they need it when it comes to there days off. The dictation of other people whatever there ethnicity in the treatment and the bringing of there personal feelings towards someone and spreading it like truth to others and lack of respect.PS-Only in the extrafoods in the town of cardston.
Not a bad place to begin for entry-level jobs
Grocery supervisor/Key holder (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 January 2018
Extra Foods is a corporate retail food store. The union (UFCW Local 832) that has been in place for many years has relished some of the greatest benefits and salaries imaginable to a grocery outlet. Long-term employment has its upsides.
Pros
Union (Benefits and Pay)
Loved my job.
Front End Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB20 December 2017
Started as a cashier and quickly rose to cash office then was transferred to train as Front-end Manager. Was very long hours but I loved working in the public sector. Customer service has been and will always be my greatest enjoyment of any employment.
Pros
.......great customers, awesome staff.
Cons
Long working hours
disorganized and lack of communication
Asst. Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB13 December 2017
Coming into work and completing tasks the previous shift did not complete.

I learned that good communication was important in the work place due to the lack of it, and i also learned a lot about agriculture that i did not previously know and about proper nutrition for cattle.

The upper management was easy to work with one on one but my direct management was pour at communication.

the work place was a competitive and discouraged proper team work but also had its pros with the constant learning.

the hardest part was always looking what needed to be done because it might have or needed to be done to lack of communication.

The most enjoyable was the constant learning.
Pros
constant learning and working on nutrition.
Cons
lack of communication
Good work
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Tisdale, SK9 December 2017
Busy always something to do heavy lifting lots of stocking and organizing fast pace great staff room for growth
That’s all I have to say about working for extra foods
It was a good job.
Time-management (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, BC5 December 2017
A typical day was refilling produce and cleaning. I enjoyed the busy-ness and people I worked for. I learned a lot about time-management and working under pressure. I learned how to prioritize my daily tasks.
great and enjoyable
Cashier (Current Employee) –  The Pas, MB22 November 2017
steady workplace and customers enjoy shopping in our store
It is hard to work with teen age kids as they have a mind of their own
flexible hours and supervisor is great
it is very difficult to keep track of shop lifters and there is need of a door security
love to work because the customers are happy with my service!!
Great job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 November 2017
A fast-paced environment that required attention to detail. Building rapport with all customers was my delight of the day.

The management staff was supporting and very understanding.

The hardest part of the job was having to go home.
Pros
four hour shifts
Cons
unfortunately wasn't full time
Fast Paced, always on the go!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dauphin, MB16 November 2017
Working as a cahier you meet a lot of people. some test you and some are very understanding. Management on the most part was great to approach with any concerns you may have. Most cashiers are eager to help.
Pros
Hours are flexible if give enough notice
Cons
minimum wage
good place to work
G.M (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK13 November 2017
I enjoyed working there, great staff and team members. I got full ti,e hrs but the pay could have been better. It just became to much to work full time when I had 2 babies at home.
Stressful environment but a good team
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB2 November 2017
Customers were about average. The hours were far too long. Training was very good. My team under me worked well. Not so much from co-workers or higher management though.
Pros
Good team under myself
Cons
Terrible higher management
not the job for me
grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC2 November 2017
i dont want to put this job down. there where many of my coworkers that seemed to enjoy this job, but it just wasn't the job for me. i worked there for 2 and a half years and i found it a little tedious.
Suitable for short term employment.
Food prep, cleaning, and customer service (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 October 2017
-cutting, cleaning, serving customers.
-learned basic food preparation skills.
-management had trouble on ordering supplies.
-nice coworkers.
-lack of supplies made even the easiest of tasks troublesome.
Customer service is what it is.
Cash Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BC19 October 2017
Must be able to shrug off customer complaints. Though typically people will be decent, there are times/customers that will cause difficulties. May be required to stay late if unable to finish your duties on time as a cash office clerk.
Very respectable
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK23 September 2017
Extra food was my first job and the enviroment was always clean respectable, friendly people. Really was a great work enviroment for a first time job :)
great place to work, staff friendly, and got cake on birthdays.
Deli Attendant (Former Employee) –  Nipawin, SK21 September 2017
I started every work day/morning like any other, same routine, but not the same if you get what i am getting at. Always something to do, Most of the time I get to the end of my shift and think "wow i just started and its already done"
Before i was employed at Extra Foods i had no experience in the production area. So therefore everything i had learned in the deli department was hands-on.
Working under management i can honestly say that they did not make me feel pressured.
Everyone was treated equal as employees.
The only hardest part i can think of was cleaning the rotisserie.
What i enjoyed most was getting the job done and knowing i done it.
Benefits
Cons
Rotisserie
Good workplace with good people to work with and good management.
cashier, and inside the cash office (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 September 2017
I really liked worked there,i just would like more hours and a change of work place. Management was very nice and friendly. Overall i really liked it.
Pros
free food upstairs
Cons
not enough hours
hard working
Bagger (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, AB8 September 2017
a typical day was either busy or normal. i don't really learn much besides how to bag groceries to make customers happy. the management was pour because when i asked to do more day shifts then just doing nights she refused because all the other bag people at the time didn't want do any nights at all and the pay was not good. The hardest part is when a coworkers was able to work at two job places but i wasn't allow to and we both were working at the same two places. The most enjoyable part was when i got a grocery discount for food for my babysitting job.
Pros
discount on groceries
Cons
pour management
Just OK
General Merchandise Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 August 2017
Minimum-wage, bad hours (nights and weekends for most), no full-time. Basically an OK job for teenagers/those still in high school. Definitely not a place to set roots.