Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

My Extendicare Dietary Aide Review
Food service Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2014
At Extendicare a typical day at work is helping my partner set up the dining table, setting up the nourishment cart, serving food to the residents, cleaning and sanitizing the dining table and then cleaning and washing the dishes. Sometimes I carry boxes of food to storage rooms and freezers and prepare the food.
At Extendicare I've learned many skills like using different equipment (big blenders, ovens, etc.,) managing my time and how to work well with co-workers.
My manager was very friendly and understanding and handled any situation in a calm manner.
I've made many good friends at Extendicare and even though some of weren't good team players we've all learned to get along.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with some difficult co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job was making friends with my co-workers and all of the residents.
At the end of the day I am always satisfied with how I helped the residents in a friendly manner and I would definitely recommend this nursing home for somebody looking for a safe and friendly home.
Pros
I can walk to Extendicare in under a 5 minutes and Extendicare has a very friendly environment.
Cons
Some co-workers and residents are hard to deal with.
fun place to work with helping people wherever needed
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 September 2014
I was responsible for painting nails of the elder women. I learned a lot about different cultures from the people that work there and also the elders. The management was sloppy at times but overall they came out with very successful events. My co-workers were very respectful and extremely nice at all times, which I enjoyed. The hardest part of the job was the beginning because I was extremely shy, but i got into the job quickly and loved it. The most enjoyable part of the job was bringing new ideas to the table and expanding the company.
very respectful and healthy environment
RN (Current Employee) –  Mccall centre for continuing care13 July 2014
very good overall,respectful.The coworkers are good,administration is respectful and supportive.
very stressful environment
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 July 2014
stressful
How to use Excel
Micro management (not good)
Good
The Administrator
The residents
Fast paced environment with judging co-workers
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 June 2014
Doing the work is no problem. It's the people you work with, your co-workers only speak 'their' language even though its not allowed, and management yells at you for trying to enforce the rules. Management thinks they know everything even though they never stay late enough to see who does what and who doesn't. Hardest part is the continuous bashing with co-workers, always talking behind your back, and NOTHING gets done; management doesn't take the time to learn your name. It's like thanks, I've only been working here for 5 years so no big deal, maybe you'll get it next year...
Pros
Money
Cons
Management & Co-Workers- UNDERSTAFFED
A Fun and productive workplace
Recreation Student (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 May 2014
The staff at Extendicare have been welcoming since I started my CO-OP and have always bee friendly and fun loving while still getting all their work done.
Horrible experience
Recreational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON29 April 2014
I have only ever worked at one Extendicare, so this review is not for every single one. I worked at the one situated in Halton Hills, border of Georgetown/Acton. The management there was horrible - they never communicate important information to you but then get angry when you are not informed (ex. residents in isolation, outbreak, residents passing away). There is also a lot of favoritism here - you will never advance if you don't kiss ___.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Long hours, weekends, missed breaks, no communication
Great expierence , wonderful people & residents
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines ON23 April 2014
I really enjoyed my time at Extendicare long term care, most co workers were great to be around and of coarse all the residents.
I learned what it's like to be in a long term care setting & I got to work with many different disabilities & illness's. I learned how to handle different situations, and of coarse the ropes of providing care to residents in the long term care facility.
Example ;
Make beds
AM/PM care
Feeding
love working with elderly
PSW (Former Employee) –  London25 February 2014
t
• Assisted patients with the activities of daily living
• Responded to call bells and accessed appropriate person to meet
patient needs
• Assisted patients with practicing and actualizing newly acquired skills
• Portered, lifted and transferred residents
• Notified clinical staff of changes in residents conditions
• Functioned as a team member to support patients in achieving goals
• Demonstrated effective patient focused communication with
patients/residents, families and team member
• Perform household management duties as assigned
• Report unsafe conditions in the residents home
• Participate in the service plan and report changes as needed to update residents condition
• Adapt and respond to residents requirements and wishes while working
within the established service plan
• Write and submit client reports according to established procedure Work with residents with behavior challenges, with dementia and Alzheimer’s
Working as a team player
DIETARY AIDE (Former Employee) –  Lakefield, ON21 February 2014
Serving residents food and beverages according to diet
Learning what residents like and dislike
Management and co-workers are very kind and helpful
Hardest part of my job is a resident passing away, especially if you have become attached to them
Most enjoyable part of my job is learning about the residents, and being able to get to know them as a person and learn interesting stories of their earlier job occupations, family members, working as a team with co-workers
Pros
Attending courses to learn more eg: Zero tolerance policies for abuse
Cons
Very physically demanding job, it is all about the residents and making sure they are happy and comfortable
Productive work enviroment with lots of opportunity to grow
Part Time Maintenance Man. (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 February 2014
My typical day at work will be checking all the maintenance log books to ensure i review and repair any required maintnenance issues that were previously reported to keep a safe environment. I enjoy working in this industry as it is very multicultrial and diverse. The most difficult part of this job is making sure that all the proirity issues get resolved before the end of the shift, if i can't get this done i would always stay till they have been completed. This company doesn't like to pay overtime so this is a challenge but i never leave safety issues undone.
Pros
good salary
Cons
working with many things to be achieved in a short day
I like People
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, ON25 January 2014
I like helping people. I went back to school so I could work with the elderly because of this job.
My experience at Extendicare
Cook and Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, ON10 December 2013
First off I would just like to say I enjoyed working for Extendicare. The people I worked with were great and got along very well. I didn't however learn many new things but grew stronger in skill as I went along. Example broadening my inventory and stock skills, higher communication skills, and how to execute good quality food on time and organized. I also worked as much as I could. Although I was full time I still took on the responsibility of staying overtime. The most enjoyable part of my experience working for Estendicare was the people I worked for (the residence) that lived there and I did what my passion is which is cooking.
Pros
cooking
Cons
getting attached to some of the residance and them passing away.
Warm and inviting
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 November 2013
My time at Extendicare was a great experience. The staff was friendly and so were the people.
Good place to work.....Staff member are very helpful
1) PHYSIOTHERAPIST ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 October 2013
Very helpful and Interesting.
management is very supporting
Fulfilling environment with residents.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Port Hope, ON12 September 2013
Extendicare has been a great learning tool as a psw, I have learned many things during my employment and had the opportunity to sharpen all of my skills.
Pros
learning closely from registered staff.
Cons
inability to get full time employment.
extendicare
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Port Hope, ON8 August 2013
I loved working with the residents, they had great activities for them. Coworkers were mostly great people but a typical day was very busy and full. I learned many things while employed there, the hardest was their ailments and their life ending. The most enjoyable were their stories.
it's not an easy job
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ON19 July 2013
being a support worker is a very hard job it's not for everyone, most of the staff are very friendly, the management is not to great,
Excellent Job
Activity Aide  (Current Employee) –  Lakefield, ON15 July 2013
Plan and implement new and exciting activities for the residents.
Keep the classic activities running on a regular basis.
chart progress and health of residents
train new staff
Excellent management and co-workers
Productive and educational
Personal Support Worker (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON21 May 2013
Clinical placement as part of program curriculum 261 hours required.
Pros
rewarding experience to care for individuals with needs
Cons
Some senior staff refuses to train students

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extendicare Health Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9