Extendicare Health Services, Inc.

Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

none given
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ONFebruary 6, 2013
nothing to say good about this place. Except there one i do like is the residents and some staff
Pros
residents
Cons
staffing
Good place to work.....Staff member are very helpful
1) PHYSIOTHERAPIST ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 18, 2013
Very helpful and Interesting.
management is very supporting
Warm and inviting
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 3, 2013
My time at Extendicare was a great experience. The staff was friendly and so were the people.
My Extendicare Dietary Aide Review
Food service Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 21, 2014
At Extendicare a typical day at work is helping my partner set up the dining table, setting up the nourishment cart, serving food to the residents, cleaning and sanitizing the dining table and then cleaning and washing the dishes. Sometimes I carry boxes of food to storage rooms and freezers and prepare the food.
At Extendicare I've learned many skills like using different equipment (big blenders, ovens, etc.,) managing my time and how to work well with co-workers.
My manager was very friendly and understanding and handled any situation in a calm manner.
I've made many good friends at Extendicare and even though some of weren't good team players we've all learned to get along.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with some difficult co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job was making friends with my co-workers and all of the residents.
At the end of the day I am always satisfied with how I helped the residents in a friendly manner and I would definitely recommend this nursing home for somebody looking for a safe and friendly home.
Pros
i can walk to extendicare in under a 5 minutes and extendicare has a very friendly environment.
Cons
some co-workers and residents are hard to deal with.
I like People
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, ONJanuary 25, 2014
I like helping people. I went back to school so I could work with the elderly because of this job.
worked for 18 years
Health Care Aid (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONDecember 5, 2012
very busy place to work at, always treated their employees and residents very well.
great workplace
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 1, 2012
great first psw job pay was good hours were great bosses were fabulous
good nursing experience
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 27, 2012
I learned alot from my preceptorship. Clients are well-taken care of.
Terrible cheap company with no integrity
Dietary Cook/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  TorontoApril 28, 2013
This was the most APALLING company I have ever been employed with. An absolute lack of concern for residents safety and dietary concerns. NEVER enough product on hand for the cooks to properly prepare meals for all residents. You are regularly left to figure out how to make 3lbs of food stretch to feed 200 residents. Residents on texture modified diets fed whatever junk is leftover because once its ground or pureed no one can tell anyway. Leftover food saved and re-packaged and sold as fresh for Meals on Wheels clients. Unsafe storage of food. Equipment not maintained properly.

Employees expected to start early and work through most breaks because the workload is so intense you couldn't possibly complete the expectations while taking normal breaks and lunch. Vietnamese factory kids have better working conditions.

Management just concerned with "covering their own butts" even when you bring up serious safety concerns. They are just a bottom-line driven company that should be absolutely ASHAMED of their operating standards and how they treat their residents. Union is equally useless. Happy to take your dues every cheque but unwilling to take a firm stand on anything else.

Do not risk your trade qualifications, professionalism or conscience on this company. And do not EVER consider admitting anyone you love into an Extendicare owned or managed home.

Extendicare....You know what you are doing...I know what you are doing and the Ministry of Health and Long term care will know what you are doing. I am exercising my "Duty to Report". And to all the mid-managers upwards in the company...I
  more... wish for you in your "golden years" the same kind of care and nourishment that you currently feel is appropriate for your residents.  less
Pros
i'm not there anymore
Cons
everything else