Extendicare Health Services, Inc.

Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

My experience at Extendicare
Cook and Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, ON10 December 2013
First off I would just like to say I enjoyed working for Extendicare. The people I worked with were great and got along very well. I didn't however learn many new things but grew stronger in skill as I went along. Example broadening my inventory and stock skills, higher communication skills, and how to execute good quality food on time and organized. I also worked as much as I could. Although I was full time I still took on the responsibility of staying overtime. The most enjoyable part of my experience working for Estendicare was the people I worked for (the residence) that lived there and I did what my passion is which is cooking.
Pros
cooking
Cons
getting attached to some of the residance and them passing away.
Fun place to work at
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2012
Enjoyed every bit of it. A typical day was busy kept me going through the day. I learned a lot of the long term care industry. Management was supportive and co-workers were fun.
Pros
gym in the office premises
Excellent Job
Activity Aide  (Current Employee) –  Lakefield, ON15 July 2013
Plan and implement new and exciting activities for the residents.
Keep the classic activities running on a regular basis.
chart progress and health of residents
train new staff
Excellent management and co-workers
it's not an easy job
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ON19 July 2013
being a support worker is a very hard job it's not for everyone, most of the staff are very friendly, the management is not to great,
poor management etchics
psw (Current Employee) –  hamilton ontario21 October 2012
management does not support frontline workers against abuse or attacks by resident's family. the ratio is 1 psw for 14 residents. its a very stressfull place to work in.
Pros
excellent staff
Cons
bad management
Good place to work.....Staff member are very helpful
1) PHYSIOTHERAPIST ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 October 2013
Very helpful and Interesting.
management is very supporting
very stressful environment
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 July 2014
stressful
How to use Excel
Micro management (not good)
Good
The Administrator
The residents
was like your basic Extendicare
Nurses AID (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 January 2015
a typical day at work was finding out what and who you would be working with for the day , and would always start of going to report, before anything else, this is where they let you know what was going on for the day, and what client needed certain or special care , this is also where you were assigned certain clients for the day , so you new who your clients were and who you would be working with , you always worked with different people some had good work ethics ,and some not so good, but no matter what you . did your job and never complained often , i learned to stay focused and be a team player ,and always cooperate when needed , i would say the hardest part of the job was when i was bath aid as we only had so much time to get our clients in the tub and out and cleaned up and weighed , as i had many, i always felt rushed for time but would do my best to make sure i got done in the required time that we had, and that my clients care was met, the most enjoyable i would say was just seeing my clients on a daily basis, and when they would be happy to see me , or when a client took ill would recover ,i also enjoyed working with some of the staff as we worked well together and had a few laugh es together as well .
Same as Previous
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 September 2015
This review is the same as the previous review I just wrote.
Extendicare Health Services was a great experience for me, I enjoyed working in the environment as well as with the clients and staff.
Great expierence , wonderful people & residents
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines ON23 April 2014
I really enjoyed my time at Extendicare long term care, most co workers were great to be around and of coarse all the residents.
I learned what it's like to be in a long term care setting & I got to work with many different disabilities & illness's. I learned how to handle different situations, and of coarse the ropes of providing care to residents in the long term care facility.
Example ;
Make beds
AM/PM care
Feeding
My Extendicare Dietary Aide Review
Food service Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2014
At Extendicare a typical day at work is helping my partner set up the dining table, setting up the nourishment cart, serving food to the residents, cleaning and sanitizing the dining table and then cleaning and washing the dishes. Sometimes I carry boxes of food to storage rooms and freezers and prepare the food.
At Extendicare I've learned many skills like using different equipment (big blenders, ovens, etc.,) managing my time and how to work well with co-workers.
My manager was very friendly and understanding and handled any situation in a calm manner.
I've made many good friends at Extendicare and even though some of weren't good team players we've all learned to get along.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with some difficult co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job was making friends with my co-workers and all of the residents.
At the end of the day I am always satisfied with how I helped the residents in a friendly manner and I would definitely recommend this nursing home for somebody looking for a safe and friendly home.
Pros
I can walk to Extendicare in under a 5 minutes and Extendicare has a very friendly environment.
Cons
Some co-workers and residents are hard to deal with.
Extendicare
Kitchen helper (Current Employee) –  60 Guildwood Pkwy, Scarborough, ON M1E 1N926 July 2015
i like it becz it is a really good help for them and that cook good food and i really like its awesome and i had work there for a while but right now i dont know if i should work there agian
Pros
Cons
7 hours
Fun productive work place
PSW Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON21 September 2015
I had the pleasure of completing my LTC placement at Extendicare Oshawa and it was a great experience. The staff were very kind, informative and helpful
Fun, structured
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK1 July 2015
This type of job roles around "clicks" your either in or your out, as childish as that is and high school it sounds, its the sad truth of these unions, Choose your battles carefully and words especially to the right people. Great pay, not such great hours depending where you sit with seniority
wonderful co-workers
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON6 October 2014
a typical day at Extendicare is the love and compassion I receive each and every day from my wonderful residents, I learn the most important thing in life is CARING

My co-workers are AMAZING and WONDERFUL to work with

the Hardest part of my job is a resident passing away

the most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the Smile on my Residents face each and every morning
Pros
Caring people
Cons
Hard on the body
Enjoyable place to work
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON1 October 2015
Really takes the time to care and look after the residents and employees. Everyone is very friendly and are there for the common good of the residents.
productive place to work and build skills
Part time, 24 hrs (Current Employee) –  chatsworth ontario14 October 2014
this company is a good place to work, if you fit in. A lot of homes now have a way of not keeping people for very long. i myself have had a good experience here but i cant say the same for a lot of others. the care given by most is excellent and i enjoy going to work.
Pros
makes you feel good to be apart of these residents lives
Cons
gossip, occasional mistreatment verbally to other staff and residents.
extendicare
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Port Hope, ON8 August 2013
I loved working with the residents, they had great activities for them. Coworkers were mostly great people but a typical day was very busy and full. I learned many things while employed there, the hardest was their ailments and their life ending. The most enjoyable were their stories.
I enjoyed it and miss the staff and clients.
HEALTH CARE AIDE (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB9 December 2014
I really enjoy working for this company, I think fondly of the staff morale that we have. The atmosphere in the office has a really good tone and it spills out into the service realm with the HCA`s and nurses. I provided excellent high quality client care and I know other staff do as well.
Same as most continuing care facilities
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 July 2015
AHS does not fund for enough staff so there is significant staff burnout, turnover, etc. This isn't uncommon for most health care facilities though.
Pros
Great building
Cons
Short-staffed

2.8