Extendicare Health Services, Inc.

Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun place to work at
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 18, 2012
Enjoyed every bit of it. A typical day was busy kept me going through the day. I learned a lot of the long term care industry. Management was supportive and co-workers were fun.
Pros
gym in the office premises
Worthwhile when working with seniors helping them with daily care needs.
PSW (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 10, 2012
It is a good place to work at. They assist the staff and make you feel a member of family. Staff get along for the residents benefit and some become life friends.
poor management etchics
psw (Current Employee) –  hamilton ontarioOctober 21, 2012
management does not support frontline workers against abuse or attacks by resident's family. the ratio is 1 psw for 14 residents. its a very stressfull place to work in.
Pros
excellent staff
Cons
bad management
A Fun and productive workplace
Recreation Student (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 27, 2014
The staff at Extendicare have been welcoming since I started my CO-OP and have always bee friendly and fun loving while still getting all their work done.
was like your basic Extendicare
Nurses AID (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJanuary 12, 2015
a typical day at work was finding out what and who you would be working with for the day , and would always start of going to report, before anything else, this is where they let you know what was going on for the day, and what client needed certain or special care , this is also where you were assigned certain clients for the day , so you new who your clients were and who you would be working with , you always worked with different people some had good work ethics ,and some not so good, but no matter what you . did your job and never complained often , i learned to stay focused and be a team player ,and always cooperate when needed , i would say the hardest part of the job was when i was bath aid as we only had so much time to get our clients in the tub and out and cleaned up and weighed , as i had many, i always felt rushed for time but would do my best to make sure i got done in the required time that we had, and that my clients care was met, the most enjoyable i would say was just seeing my clients on a daily basis, and when they would be happy to see me , or when a client took ill would recover ,i also enjoyed working with some of the staff as we worked well together and had a few laugh es together as well .
Team motivator
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONNovember 4, 2014
Great RPN to motivate team

Right to autonomy

Holistic care

Emotional support
Pros
happy employees = better care
Cons
no cons
typical union setting
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Sudbury OntarioMay 20, 2013
Residents are wonderful. Staff is more worried about what their collegues are getting away with than the work being done.
Pros
it was close to home.
Cons
nobody can stand being there.
wasnt the greatest place
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Vulcan, ABSeptember 25, 2012
It was a nice place but the staff there are aweful. Its a small town and they are not they greatest staff in my eyes
Pros
carnival for the seniors
Cons
aweful staff
it's not an easy job
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ONJuly 19, 2013
being a support worker is a very hard job it's not for everyone, most of the staff are very friendly, the management is not to great,
You really don't want to work here!
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMarch 25, 2013
Terrible place for staff and residents!
Overworked PSW's who are responsible for the care of upwards of 13 clients. Management refused to allow staff to wear lighter summer clothing until two PSW's had fainted from the humidity.
Pay is only good due to Union presence, and this company tried to force its staff into a pay freeze despite a great profit margin. This company allowed several situations in which clients relatives bullied the staff, threatening to have them fired, allowing them to gossip amongst staff and other residents about staff and residents, every single day.
Management turnover on the high side. In two years they had to replace both the DOC and the ADOC, and the staff educator, all of whom were replaced by RN's with little to no experience on the units themselves, so therefore no practical knowledge.
Pay cheques were often wrong, scheduling was poor due to lack of communication and they refused to pay a staff member her back pay when she realized she had been under-paid for approximately a year.
Union is not interested in fighting for anyone, too friendly with management.
Pros
location.
Cons
see above.
very respectful and healthy environment
RN (Current Employee) –  Mccall centre for continuing careJuly 13, 2014
very good overall,respectful.The coworkers are good,administration is respectful and supportive.
very stressful environment
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 8, 2014
stressful
How to use Excel
Micro management (not good)
Good
The Administrator
The residents
none given
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ONFebruary 6, 2013
nothing to say good about this place. Except there one i do like is the residents and some staff
Pros
residents
Cons
staffing
Good place to work.....Staff member are very helpful
1) PHYSIOTHERAPIST ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 18, 2013
Very helpful and Interesting.
management is very supporting
My Extendicare Dietary Aide Review
Food service Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 21, 2014
At Extendicare a typical day at work is helping my partner set up the dining table, setting up the nourishment cart, serving food to the residents, cleaning and sanitizing the dining table and then cleaning and washing the dishes. Sometimes I carry boxes of food to storage rooms and freezers and prepare the food.
At Extendicare I've learned many skills like using different equipment (big blenders, ovens, etc.,) managing my time and how to work well with co-workers.
My manager was very friendly and understanding and handled any situation in a calm manner.
I've made many good friends at Extendicare and even though some of weren't good team players we've all learned to get along.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with some difficult co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job was making friends with my co-workers and all of the residents.
At the end of the day I am always satisfied with how I helped the residents in a friendly manner and I would definitely recommend this nursing home for somebody looking for a safe and friendly home.
Pros
i can walk to extendicare in under a 5 minutes and extendicare has a very friendly environment.
Cons
some co-workers and residents are hard to deal with.
Warm and inviting
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 3, 2013
My time at Extendicare was a great experience. The staff was friendly and so were the people.
I like People
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, ONJanuary 25, 2014
I like helping people. I went back to school so I could work with the elderly because of this job.
worked for 18 years
Health Care Aid (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONDecember 5, 2012
very busy place to work at, always treated their employees and residents very well.
great workplace
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 1, 2012
great first psw job pay was good hours were great bosses were fabulous
good nursing experience
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 27, 2012
I learned alot from my preceptorship. Clients are well-taken care of.

2.8