Extendicare Health Services, Inc.

Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

very stressful environment
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 July 2014
stressful
How to use Excel
Micro management (not good)
Good
The Administrator
The residents
My Extendicare Dietary Aide Review
Food service Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2014
At Extendicare a typical day at work is helping my partner set up the dining table, setting up the nourishment cart, serving food to the residents, cleaning and sanitizing the dining table and then cleaning and washing the dishes. Sometimes I carry boxes of food to storage rooms and freezers and prepare the food.
At Extendicare I've learned many skills like using different equipment (big blenders, ovens, etc.,) managing my time and how to work well with co-workers.
My manager was very friendly and understanding and handled any situation in a calm manner.
I've made many good friends at Extendicare and even though some of weren't good team players we've all learned to get along.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with some difficult co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job was making friends with my co-workers and all of the residents.
At the end of the day I am always satisfied with how I helped the residents in a friendly manner and I would definitely recommend this nursing home for somebody looking for a safe and friendly home.
Pros
I can walk to Extendicare in under a 5 minutes and Extendicare has a very friendly environment.
Cons
Some co-workers and residents are hard to deal with.
Great expierence , wonderful people & residents
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines ON23 April 2014
I really enjoyed my time at Extendicare long term care, most co workers were great to be around and of coarse all the residents.
I learned what it's like to be in a long term care setting & I got to work with many different disabilities & illness's. I learned how to handle different situations, and of coarse the ropes of providing care to residents in the long term care facility.
Example ;
Make beds
AM/PM care
Feeding
wonderful co-workers
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON6 October 2014
a typical day at Extendicare is the love and compassion I receive each and every day from my wonderful residents, I learn the most important thing in life is CARING

My co-workers are AMAZING and WONDERFUL to work with

the Hardest part of my job is a resident passing away

the most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the Smile on my Residents face each and every morning
Pros
Caring people
Cons
Hard on the body
productive place to work and build skills
Part time, 24 hrs (Current Employee) –  chatsworth ontario14 October 2014
this company is a good place to work, if you fit in. A lot of homes now have a way of not keeping people for very long. i myself have had a good experience here but i cant say the same for a lot of others. the care given by most is excellent and i enjoy going to work.
Pros
makes you feel good to be apart of these residents lives
Cons
gossip, occasional mistreatment verbally to other staff and residents.
cook
Cook (Current Employee) –  London, ON27 April 2015
Preparing food daily as outlined on menu
Serves food using therapeutic chart; knowledge of their diets
Organizing food preparation to ensure all meals and snacks are served on time
Responsible for the care and operation of food service equipment
Rewarding job
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON11 March 2015
It's the hardest job you will ever love.
Starts with report.
Next, being sure everyone is aware of their assignments.
And then I make rounds.
Care planning and MDS RAI
Providing treatments
Working as a team to provide the best care possible
Pros
Opportunity for continuing education
Cons
stressful
I enjoyed it and miss the staff and clients.
HEALTH CARE AIDE (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB9 December 2014
I really enjoy working for this company, I think fondly of the staff morale that we have. The atmosphere in the office has a really good tone and it spills out into the service realm with the HCA`s and nurses. I provided excellent high quality client care and I know other staff do as well.
extendicare
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Port Hope, ON8 August 2013
I loved working with the residents, they had great activities for them. Coworkers were mostly great people but a typical day was very busy and full. I learned many things while employed there, the hardest was their ailments and their life ending. The most enjoyable were their stories.
PSW Placement
PSW Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 January 2015
I was very very happy with my experience with Extendicare overall. The residents that I worked with and the co-workers as a whole were fantastic when it came to taking their time and knowledge of the position and training us students.
Pros
Fast paced enviroment
Cons
differences as to how a job gets safely done
Fulfilling environment with residents.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Port Hope, ON12 September 2013
Extendicare has been a great learning tool as a psw, I have learned many things during my employment and had the opportunity to sharpen all of my skills.
Pros
learning closely from registered staff.
Cons
inability to get full time employment.
Productive and a great place to work and a great atmosphere. Clean and inviting and if i needed a question answered it was always answered.
Personal Support Worker Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 January 2015
A super great place to work and awesome people. Clean and inviting and if i needed a question answered it was always answered.
summar
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON12 May 2015
I enjoyed working at extendicare. I would help residents with walking, playing games, relocating them if they needed help and running programs within the home.
Terrible cheap company with no integrity
Dietary Cook/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto28 April 2013
This was the most APALLING company I have ever been employed with. An absolute lack of concern for residents safety and dietary concerns. NEVER enough product on hand for the cooks to properly prepare meals for all residents. You are regularly left to figure out how to make 3lbs of food stretch to feed 200 residents. Residents on texture modified diets fed whatever junk is leftover because once its ground or pureed no one can tell anyway. Leftover food saved and re-packaged and sold as fresh for Meals on Wheels clients. Unsafe storage of food. Equipment not maintained properly.

Employees expected to start early and work through most breaks because the workload is so intense you couldn't possibly complete the expectations while taking normal breaks and lunch. Vietnamese factory kids have better working conditions.

Management just concerned with "covering their own butts" even when you bring up serious safety concerns. They are just a bottom-line driven company that should be absolutely ASHAMED of their operating standards and how they treat their residents. Union is equally useless. Happy to take your dues every cheque but unwilling to take a firm stand on anything else.

Do not risk your trade qualifications, professionalism or conscience on this company. And do not EVER consider admitting anyone you love into an Extendicare owned or managed home.

Extendicare....You know what you are doing...I know what you are doing and the Ministry of Health and Long term care will know what you are doing. I am exercising my "Duty to Report". And to all the mid-managers upwards
  more... in the company...I wish for you in your "golden years" the same kind of care and nourishment that you currently feel is appropriate for your residents.  less
Pros
I'm not there anymore
Cons
Everything else
Great Staff and Residents
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 February 2015
I have only been working here for almost 8 months, but the staff and residents are great people to work with. Everyone is helpful, kind and respectful.
Pros
Flexible Breaktimes
Cons
Heavy Workload
this was a very productive and fun enviroment to work in
House keeping (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON28 February 2015
enjoyed working with clients, there was nothing challenging in the work place, and enjoyed the fact that I was always moving and doing something.
Best Job Ever!
Non Certified Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Vulcan, AB28 February 2015
Probably the best job ive ever had! Only left because I had to move out of town! would have never left if it wasnt for that! Great hours, great people, amazing environment!
o
experience (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 March 2015
great co workers\taught many lessons
taught to be carful around others and how to care for them
best part was meeting no people bad part was seeing the sick people
Worthwhile when working with seniors helping them with daily care needs.
PSW (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 September 2012
It is a good place to work at. They assist the staff and make you feel a member of family. Staff get along for the residents benefit and some become life friends.
Productive and educational
Personal Support Worker (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON21 May 2013
Clinical placement as part of program curriculum 261 hours required.
Pros
rewarding experience to care for individuals with needs
Cons
Some senior staff refuses to train students

2.8