Extendicare Health Services, Inc.

Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

Warm and inviting
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 3, 2013
My time at Extendicare was a great experience. The staff was friendly and so were the people.
Good place to work.....Staff member are very helpful
1) PHYSIOTHERAPIST ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 18, 2013
Very helpful and Interesting.
management is very supporting
Fulfilling environment with residents.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Port Hope, ONSeptember 12, 2013
Extendicare has been a great learning tool as a psw, I have learned many things during my employment and had the opportunity to sharpen all of my skills.
Pros
learning closely from registered staff.
Cons
inability to get full time employment.
extendicare
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Port Hope, ONAugust 8, 2013
I loved working with the residents, they had great activities for them. Coworkers were mostly great people but a typical day was very busy and full. I learned many things while employed there, the hardest was their ailments and their life ending. The most enjoyable were their stories.
it's not an easy job
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ONJuly 19, 2013
being a support worker is a very hard job it's not for everyone, most of the staff are very friendly, the management is not to great,
Excellent Job
Activity Aide (Current Employee) –  Lakefield, ONJuly 15, 2013
Plan and implement new and exciting activities for the residents.
Keep the classic activities running on a regular basis.
chart progress and health of residents
train new staff
Excellent management and co-workers
Productive and educational
Personal Support Worker (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 21, 2013
Clinical placement as part of program curriculum 261 hours required.
Pros
rewarding experience to care for individuals with needs
Cons
Some senior staff refuses to train students
typical union setting
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Sudbury OntarioMay 20, 2013
Residents are wonderful. Staff is more worried about what their collegues are getting away with than the work being done.
Pros
it was close to home.
Cons
nobody can stand being there.
Terrible cheap company with no integrity
Dietary Cook/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  TorontoApril 28, 2013
This was the most APALLING company I have ever been employed with. An absolute lack of concern for residents safety and dietary concerns. NEVER enough product on hand for the cooks to properly prepare meals for all residents. You are regularly left to figure out how to make 3lbs of food stretch to feed 200 residents. Residents on texture modified diets fed whatever junk is leftover because once its ground or pureed no one can tell anyway. Leftover food saved and re-packaged and sold as fresh for Meals on Wheels clients. Unsafe storage of food. Equipment not maintained properly.

Employees expected to start early and work through most breaks because the workload is so intense you couldn't possibly complete the expectations while taking normal breaks and lunch. Vietnamese factory kids have better working conditions.

Management just concerned with "covering their own butts" even when you bring up serious safety concerns. They are just a bottom-line driven company that should be absolutely ASHAMED of their operating standards and how they treat their residents. Union is equally useless. Happy to take your dues every cheque but unwilling to take a firm stand on anything else.

Do not risk your trade qualifications, professionalism or conscience on this company. And do not EVER consider admitting anyone you love into an Extendicare owned or managed home.

Extendicare....You know what you are doing...I know what you are doing and the Ministry of Health and Long term care will know what you are doing. I am exercising my "Duty to Report". And to all the mid-managers upwards in the company...I
  more... wish for you in your "golden years" the same kind of care and nourishment that you currently feel is appropriate for your residents.  less
Pros
i'm not there anymore
Cons
everything else
Beware of Working Here Especially Registered Staff
Past Employee (Former Employee) –  Prescott OntarioApril 17, 2013
Chaotic and disorganized. Management has changed many times over past 2 years and people with little or no experience have been in charge of facility in the past. Management not supportive of staff and a great deal of staff turnover has occurred within past year. Grossly understaffed especially registered staff. In order to complete work you must stay overtime almost every day. Work most shifts with no break for the shift. Unrealistic expectations of staff regarding resident care and time frames for completion of work. Not enough staff to provide safe and competent care. Calls can go unanswered for 10- 15 minutes at some times. Registered staff are putting their license in jeopardy working here and most do not stay more than a few months.
Staff do the best they can with what they have to work with. Supplies are frequently not available for resident care.
Pros
staff and residents
Cons
You really don't want to work here!
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMarch 25, 2013
Terrible place for staff and residents!
Overworked PSW's who are responsible for the care of upwards of 13 clients. Management refused to allow staff to wear lighter summer clothing until two PSW's had fainted from the humidity.
Pay is only good due to Union presence, and this company tried to force its staff into a pay freeze despite a great profit margin. This company allowed several situations in which clients relatives bullied the staff, threatening to have them fired, allowing them to gossip amongst staff and other residents about staff and residents, every single day.
Management turnover on the high side. In two years they had to replace both the DOC and the ADOC, and the staff educator, all of whom were replaced by RN's with little to no experience on the units themselves, so therefore no practical knowledge.
Pay cheques were often wrong, scheduling was poor due to lack of communication and they refused to pay a staff member her back pay when she realized she had been under-paid for approximately a year.
Union is not interested in fighting for anyone, too friendly with management.
Pros
location.
Cons
see above.
none given
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ONFebruary 6, 2013
nothing to say good about this place. Except there one i do like is the residents and some staff
Pros
residents
Cons
staffing
Very productive, educational and challenging but loving environment. Fast pace!
Staff Nurse - Early Dementia Unit (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 19, 2012
The management is absolutely supportive. I learned and developed many skills I thought I never had. My self confidence is 90% better than before. I love working with my co-workers and love the residents. I couldn't complain and can't say any negative comments about this company because I got so much in return.
Pros
freedom to make decisions if needed. free coffee!
Cons
long hours yes.
worked for 18 years
Health Care Aid (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONDecember 5, 2012
very busy place to work at, always treated their employees and residents very well.
poor management etchics
psw (Current Employee) –  hamilton ontarioOctober 21, 2012
management does not support frontline workers against abuse or attacks by resident's family. the ratio is 1 psw for 14 residents. its a very stressfull place to work in.
Pros
excellent staff
Cons
bad management
Benefits
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg ,ManitobaOctober 19, 2012
I enjoyed going to work because I had a friendly environment maybe because I can get along well with my co workers.Being a past faced environment I learned the value of time management and work load organization.The hardest part of the job is that when your working under pressure and theres no teamwork among the workers but the most enjoyable part of the job is getting along with the people thats around you.I love working in the customer service.
Pros
enough time break
Cons
no team work
Fun place to work at
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 18, 2012
Enjoyed every bit of it. A typical day was busy kept me going through the day. I learned a lot of the long term care industry. Management was supportive and co-workers were fun.
Pros
gym in the office premises
One of my favorite jobs.
Head Cook, Early Aid, etc (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABOctober 6, 2012
Working for Extendicare was a great experience. A typical day at work consisted of cooking, cleaning & talking to the residents. All of my Co-Workers were delightful people & for the most part we're always helpful whenever anyone needed it. The hardest part of the job was getting close to certain residents & then having them pass, but I always did my best to brighten their days while they were still with us. To me, that was the most enjoyable part of the job, & feeling of fulfillment I got every time I was there; which is why it was so hard for me to leave.
Pros
it was right accross the street from my apartment. hourly wage & benifits were great. free breakfast, lunch & dinner. being surrounded by people that always knew how to make me smile.
Cons
being the youngest person working there, and sometimes the days would be extremely long & stressful.
It's a very happy place to work for we are a very good multidisciplinal team.
LPN (Current Employee) –  calgarySeptember 28, 2012
working with HCA, dietitian, PT/OT and activity aid to supply excellent care for our clients;
very good time management and critical thinking skills in work place;
There is always challenge part in every job which can be consdiered to be the hardest part of the job but will also be the most enjoyable part later on.
Pros
ice cream, free coffee
wasnt the greatest place
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Vulcan, ABSeptember 25, 2012
It was a nice place but the staff there are aweful. Its a small town and they are not they greatest staff in my eyes
Pros
carnival for the seniors
Cons
aweful staff

2.8