Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

fun place to work with helping people wherever needed
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 September 2014
I was responsible for painting nails of the elder women. I learned a lot about different cultures from the people that work there and also the elders. The management was sloppy at times but overall they came out with very successful events. My co-workers were very respectful and extremely nice at all times, which I enjoyed. The hardest part of the job was the beginning because I was extremely shy, but i got into the job quickly and loved it. The most enjoyable part of the job was bringing new ideas to the table and expanding the company.
Fast paced environment with judging co-workers
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 June 2014
Doing the work is no problem. It's the people you work with, your co-workers only speak 'their' language even though its not allowed, and management yells at you for trying to enforce the rules. Management thinks they know everything even though they never stay late enough to see who does what and who doesn't. Hardest part is the continuous bashing with co-workers, always talking behind your back, and NOTHING gets done; management doesn't take the time to learn your name. It's like thanks, I've only been working here for 5 years so no big deal, maybe you'll get it next year...
Pros
Money
Cons
Management & Co-Workers- UNDERSTAFFED
Horrible experience
Recreational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON29 April 2014
I have only ever worked at one Extendicare, so this review is not for every single one. I worked at the one situated in Halton Hills, border of Georgetown/Acton. The management there was horrible - they never communicate important information to you but then get angry when you are not informed (ex. residents in isolation, outbreak, residents passing away). There is also a lot of favoritism here - you will never advance if you don't kiss ___.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Long hours, weekends, missed breaks, no communication
Great expierence , wonderful people & residents
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines ON23 April 2014
I really enjoyed my time at Extendicare long term care, most co workers were great to be around and of coarse all the residents.
I learned what it's like to be in a long term care setting & I got to work with many different disabilities & illness's. I learned how to handle different situations, and of coarse the ropes of providing care to residents in the long term care facility.
Example ;
Make beds
AM/PM care
Feeding
Productive work enviroment with lots of opportunity to grow
Part Time Maintenance Man. (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 February 2014
My typical day at work will be checking all the maintenance log books to ensure i review and repair any required maintnenance issues that were previously reported to keep a safe environment. I enjoy working in this industry as it is very multicultrial and diverse. The most difficult part of this job is making sure that all the proirity issues get resolved before the end of the shift, if i can't get this done i would always stay till they have been completed. This company doesn't like to pay overtime so this is a challenge but i never leave safety issues undone.
Pros
good salary
Cons
working with many things to be achieved in a short day
Working as a team player
DIETARY AIDE (Former Employee) –  Lakefield, ON21 February 2014
Serving residents food and beverages according to diet
Learning what residents like and dislike
Management and co-workers are very kind and helpful
Hardest part of my job is a resident passing away, especially if you have become attached to them
Most enjoyable part of my job is learning about the residents, and being able to get to know them as a person and learn interesting stories of their earlier job occupations, family members, working as a team with co-workers
Pros
Attending courses to learn more eg: Zero tolerance policies for abuse
Cons
Very physically demanding job, it is all about the residents and making sure they are happy and comfortable
Benefits
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg ,Manitoba19 October 2012
I enjoyed going to work because I had a friendly environment maybe because I can get along well with my co workers.Being a past faced environment I learned the value of time management and work load organization.The hardest part of the job is that when your working under pressure and theres no teamwork among the workers but the most enjoyable part of the job is getting along with the people thats around you.I love working in the customer service.
Pros
enough time break
Cons
no team work
Very productive, educational and challenging but loving environment. Fast pace!
Staff Nurse - Early Dementia Unit (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2012
The management is absolutely supportive. I learned and developed many skills I thought I never had. My self confidence is 90% better than before. I love working with my co-workers and love the residents. I couldn't complain and can't say any negative comments about this company because I got so much in return.
Pros
freedom to make decisions if needed. free coffee!
Cons
long hours yes.
My experience at Extendicare
Cook and Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, ON10 December 2013
First off I would just like to say I enjoyed working for Extendicare. The people I worked with were great and got along very well. I didn't however learn many new things but grew stronger in skill as I went along. Example broadening my inventory and stock skills, higher communication skills, and how to execute good quality food on time and organized. I also worked as much as I could. Although I was full time I still took on the responsibility of staying overtime. The most enjoyable part of my experience working for Estendicare was the people I worked for (the residence) that lived there and I did what my passion is which is cooking.
Pros
cooking
Cons
getting attached to some of the residance and them passing away.
wonderful co-workers
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON6 October 2014
a typical day at Extendicare is the love and compassion I receive each and every day from my wonderful residents, I learn the most important thing in life is CARING

My co-workers are AMAZING and WONDERFUL to work with

the Hardest part of my job is a resident passing away

the most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the Smile on my Residents face each and every morning
Pros
Caring people
Cons
Hard on the body
productive place to work and build skills
Part time, 24 hrs (Current Employee) –  chatsworth ontario14 October 2014
this company is a good place to work, if you fit in. A lot of homes now have a way of not keeping people for very long. i myself have had a good experience here but i cant say the same for a lot of others. the care given by most is excellent and i enjoy going to work.
Pros
makes you feel good to be apart of these residents lives
Cons
gossip, occasional mistreatment verbally to other staff and residents.
Fun, structured
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK1 July 2015
This type of job roles around "clicks" your either in or your out, as childish as that is and high school it sounds, its the sad truth of these unions, Choose your battles carefully and words especially to the right people. Great pay, not such great hours depending where you sit with seniority
It's a very happy place to work for we are a very good multidisciplinal team.
LPN (Current Employee) –  calgary28 September 2012
working with HCA, dietitian, PT/OT and activity aid to supply excellent care for our clients;
very good time management and critical thinking skills in work place;
There is always challenge part in every job which can be consdiered to be the hardest part of the job but will also be the most enjoyable part later on.
Pros
ice cream, free coffee
Rewarding
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON9 August 2012
I would start a 7 am listen to report from the night shift R.N. Then with my partner we would work together to get the resident washed and dressed for breakfast, bring them to the dinning room, serve the meal , assist with feeding , clear the dishes , bath residents according to the bath schedule for that day, serve lunch, clean up, encourage residents to get involved in activities that were offered.
-I learned time management skills, working as team member.
-I had amazing co-workers, caring hard working and fun to work with.
-Not having as much time to spend with each resident as I would like, working short staffed a lot of the time
-Rewarding to see the changes we make in the residents lives, seeing them accomplish tasks they thought they could not do.
Pros
welcoming in environment, friendly staff
Cons
seeing residents health decline
Same as Previous
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 September 2015
This review is the same as the previous review I just wrote.
Extendicare Health Services was a great experience for me, I enjoyed working in the environment as well as with the clients and staff.
One of my favorite jobs.
Head Cook, Early Aid, etc (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB6 October 2012
Working for Extendicare was a great experience. A typical day at work consisted of cooking, cleaning & talking to the residents. All of my Co-Workers were delightful people & for the most part we're always helpful whenever anyone needed it. The hardest part of the job was getting close to certain residents & then having them pass, but I always did my best to brighten their days while they were still with us. To me, that was the most enjoyable part of the job, & feeling of fulfillment I got every time I was there; which is why it was so hard for me to leave.
Pros
it was right accross the street from my apartment. hourly wage & benifits were great. free breakfast, lunch & dinner. being surrounded by people that always knew how to make me smile.
Cons
being the youngest person working there, and sometimes the days would be extremely long & stressful.
I enjoyed it and miss the staff and clients.
HEALTH CARE AIDE (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB9 December 2014
I really enjoy working for this company, I think fondly of the staff morale that we have. The atmosphere in the office has a really good tone and it spills out into the service realm with the HCA`s and nurses. I provided excellent high quality client care and I know other staff do as well.
Rewarding job
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON11 March 2015
It's the hardest job you will ever love.
Starts with report.
Next, being sure everyone is aware of their assignments.
And then I make rounds.
Care planning and MDS RAI
Providing treatments
Working as a team to provide the best care possible
Pros
Opportunity for continuing education
Cons
stressful
PSW Placement
PSW Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 January 2015
I was very very happy with my experience with Extendicare overall. The residents that I worked with and the co-workers as a whole were fantastic when it came to taking their time and knowledge of the position and training us students.
Pros
Fast paced enviroment
Cons
differences as to how a job gets safely done
Enjoyable place to work
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON1 October 2015
Really takes the time to care and look after the residents and employees. Everyone is very friendly and are there for the common good of the residents.

2.8