Extendicare Health Services, Inc.

Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Rewarding job
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON11 March 2015
It's the hardest job you will ever love.
Starts with report.
Next, being sure everyone is aware of their assignments.
And then I make rounds.
Care planning and MDS RAI
Providing treatments
Working as a team to provide the best care possible
Pros
Opportunity for continuing education
Cons
stressful
o
experience (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 March 2015
great co workers\taught many lessons
taught to be carful around others and how to care for them
best part was meeting no people bad part was seeing the sick people
Best Job Ever!
Non Certified Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Vulcan, AB28 February 2015
Probably the best job ive ever had! Only left because I had to move out of town! would have never left if it wasnt for that! Great hours, great people, amazing environment!
this was a very productive and fun enviroment to work in
House keeping (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON28 February 2015
enjoyed working with clients, there was nothing challenging in the work place, and enjoyed the fact that I was always moving and doing something.
Great Staff and Residents
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 February 2015
I have only been working here for almost 8 months, but the staff and residents are great people to work with. Everyone is helpful, kind and respectful.
Pros
Flexible Breaktimes
Cons
Heavy Workload
Productive and easy going co-workers
Benefits Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario17 February 2015
Many benefits coordinators acquire their skills and expertise through on-the-job learning, such as having constant discussion with other co-workers, reading union agreements etc.
Pros
Flexable hours
Cons
Long Hours
was like your basic Extendicare
Nurses AID (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 January 2015
a typical day at work was finding out what and who you would be working with for the day , and would always start of going to report, before anything else, this is where they let you know what was going on for the day, and what client needed certain or special care , this is also where you were assigned certain clients for the day , so you new who your clients were and who you would be working with , you always worked with different people some had good work ethics ,and some not so good, but no matter what you . did your job and never complained often , i learned to stay focused and be a team player ,and always cooperate when needed , i would say the hardest part of the job was when i was bath aid as we only had so much time to get our clients in the tub and out and cleaned up and weighed , as i had many, i always felt rushed for time but would do my best to make sure i got done in the required time that we had, and that my clients care was met, the most enjoyable i would say was just seeing my clients on a daily basis, and when they would be happy to see me , or when a client took ill would recover ,i also enjoyed working with some of the staff as we worked well together and had a few laugh es together as well .
PSW Placement
PSW Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 January 2015
I was very very happy with my experience with Extendicare overall. The residents that I worked with and the co-workers as a whole were fantastic when it came to taking their time and knowledge of the position and training us students.
Pros
Fast paced enviroment
Cons
differences as to how a job gets safely done
Productive and a great place to work and a great atmosphere. Clean and inviting and if i needed a question answered it was always answered.
Personal Support Worker Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 January 2015
A super great place to work and awesome people. Clean and inviting and if i needed a question answered it was always answered.
I enjoyed it and miss the staff and clients.
HEALTH CARE AIDE (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB9 December 2014
I really enjoy working for this company, I think fondly of the staff morale that we have. The atmosphere in the office has a really good tone and it spills out into the service realm with the HCA`s and nurses. I provided excellent high quality client care and I know other staff do as well.
Team motivator
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 November 2014
Great RPN to motivate team

Right to autonomy

Holistic care

Emotional support
Pros
Happy employees = better care
Cons
no cons
staffing shortage often
Nurse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Somerset, MB16 October 2014
Management was reasonably ok
Workload 50 plus hrs a week
Co-workers relatively good to work with
Enjoyed working with the elderly clients
Pros
fairly good job security
Cons
no real cons
productive place to work and build skills
Part time, 24 hrs (Current Employee) –  chatsworth ontario14 October 2014
this company is a good place to work, if you fit in. A lot of homes now have a way of not keeping people for very long. i myself have had a good experience here but i cant say the same for a lot of others. the care given by most is excellent and i enjoy going to work.
Pros
makes you feel good to be apart of these residents lives
Cons
gossip, occasional mistreatment verbally to other staff and residents.
wonderful co-workers
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON6 October 2014
a typical day at Extendicare is the love and compassion I receive each and every day from my wonderful residents, I learn the most important thing in life is CARING

My co-workers are AMAZING and WONDERFUL to work with

the Hardest part of my job is a resident passing away

the most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the Smile on my Residents face each and every morning
Pros
Caring people
Cons
Hard on the body
My Extendicare Dietary Aide Review
Food service Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2014
At Extendicare a typical day at work is helping my partner set up the dining table, setting up the nourishment cart, serving food to the residents, cleaning and sanitizing the dining table and then cleaning and washing the dishes. Sometimes I carry boxes of food to storage rooms and freezers and prepare the food.
At Extendicare I've learned many skills like using different equipment (big blenders, ovens, etc.,) managing my time and how to work well with co-workers.
My manager was very friendly and understanding and handled any situation in a calm manner.
I've made many good friends at Extendicare and even though some of weren't good team players we've all learned to get along.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with some difficult co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job was making friends with my co-workers and all of the residents.
At the end of the day I am always satisfied with how I helped the residents in a friendly manner and I would definitely recommend this nursing home for somebody looking for a safe and friendly home.
Pros
I can walk to Extendicare in under a 5 minutes and Extendicare has a very friendly environment.
Cons
Some co-workers and residents are hard to deal with.
fun place to work with helping people wherever needed
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 September 2014
I was responsible for painting nails of the elder women. I learned a lot about different cultures from the people that work there and also the elders. The management was sloppy at times but overall they came out with very successful events. My co-workers were very respectful and extremely nice at all times, which I enjoyed. The hardest part of the job was the beginning because I was extremely shy, but i got into the job quickly and loved it. The most enjoyable part of the job was bringing new ideas to the table and expanding the company.
very respectful and healthy environment
RN (Current Employee) –  Mccall centre for continuing care13 July 2014
very good overall,respectful.The coworkers are good,administration is respectful and supportive.
very stressful environment
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 July 2014
stressful
How to use Excel
Micro management (not good)
Good
The Administrator
The residents
Fast paced environment with judging co-workers
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 June 2014
Doing the work is no problem. It's the people you work with, your co-workers only speak 'their' language even though its not allowed, and management yells at you for trying to enforce the rules. Management thinks they know everything even though they never stay late enough to see who does what and who doesn't. Hardest part is the continuous bashing with co-workers, always talking behind your back, and NOTHING gets done; management doesn't take the time to learn your name. It's like thanks, I've only been working here for 5 years so no big deal, maybe you'll get it next year...
Pros
Money
Cons
Management & Co-Workers- UNDERSTAFFED
A Fun and productive workplace
Recreation Student (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 May 2014
The staff at Extendicare have been welcoming since I started my CO-OP and have always bee friendly and fun loving while still getting all their work done.

2.8