Extendicare Health Services, Inc.

Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Horrible experience
Recreational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ONApril 29, 2014
I have only ever worked at one Extendicare, so this review is not for every single one. I worked at the one situated in Halton Hills, border of Georgetown/Acton. The management there was horrible - they never communicate important information to you but then get angry when you are not informed (ex. residents in isolation, outbreak, residents passing away). There is also a lot of favoritism here - you will never advance if you don't kiss ___.
Pros
the residents
Cons
long hours, weekends, missed breaks, no communication
Great expierence , wonderful people & residents
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines ONApril 23, 2014
I really enjoyed my time at Extendicare long term care, most co workers were great to be around and of coarse all the residents.
I learned what it's like to be in a long term care setting & I got to work with many different disabilities & illness's. I learned how to handle different situations, and of coarse the ropes of providing care to residents in the long term care facility.
Example ;
Make beds
AM/PM care
Feeding
cook
Cook (Current Employee) –  London, ONApril 27, 2015
Preparing food daily as outlined on menu
Serves food using therapeutic chart; knowledge of their diets
Organizing food preparation to ensure all meals and snacks are served on time
Responsible for the care and operation of food service equipment
Working as a team player
DIETARY AIDE (Former Employee) –  Lakefield, ONFebruary 21, 2014
Serving residents food and beverages according to diet
Learning what residents like and dislike
Management and co-workers are very kind and helpful
Hardest part of my job is a resident passing away, especially if you have become attached to them
Most enjoyable part of my job is learning about the residents, and being able to get to know them as a person and learn interesting stories of their earlier job occupations, family members, working as a team with co-workers
Pros
attending courses to learn more eg: zero tolerance policies for abuse
Cons
very physically demanding job, it is all about the residents and making sure they are happy and comfortable
Productive work enviroment with lots of opportunity to grow
Part Time Maintenance Man. (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 2, 2014
My typical day at work will be checking all the maintenance log books to ensure i review and repair any required maintnenance issues that were previously reported to keep a safe environment. I enjoy working in this industry as it is very multicultrial and diverse. The most difficult part of this job is making sure that all the proirity issues get resolved before the end of the shift, if i can't get this done i would always stay till they have been completed. This company doesn't like to pay overtime so this is a challenge but i never leave safety issues undone.
Pros
good salary
Cons
working with many things to be achieved in a short day
Benefits
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg ,ManitobaOctober 19, 2012
I enjoyed going to work because I had a friendly environment maybe because I can get along well with my co workers.Being a past faced environment I learned the value of time management and work load organization.The hardest part of the job is that when your working under pressure and theres no teamwork among the workers but the most enjoyable part of the job is getting along with the people thats around you.I love working in the customer service.
Pros
enough time break
Cons
no team work
Very productive, educational and challenging but loving environment. Fast pace!
Staff Nurse - Early Dementia Unit (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 19, 2012
The management is absolutely supportive. I learned and developed many skills I thought I never had. My self confidence is 90% better than before. I love working with my co-workers and love the residents. I couldn't complain and can't say any negative comments about this company because I got so much in return.
Pros
freedom to make decisions if needed. free coffee!
Cons
long hours yes.
My experience at Extendicare
Cook and Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, ONDecember 10, 2013
First off I would just like to say I enjoyed working for Extendicare. The people I worked with were great and got along very well. I didn't however learn many new things but grew stronger in skill as I went along. Example broadening my inventory and stock skills, higher communication skills, and how to execute good quality food on time and organized. I also worked as much as I could. Although I was full time I still took on the responsibility of staying overtime. The most enjoyable part of my experience working for Estendicare was the people I worked for (the residence) that lived there and I did what my passion is which is cooking.
Pros
cooking
Cons
getting attached to some of the residance and them passing away.
PSW Placement
PSW Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 11, 2015
I was very very happy with my experience with Extendicare overall. The residents that I worked with and the co-workers as a whole were fantastic when it came to taking their time and knowledge of the position and training us students.
Pros
fast paced enviroment
Cons
differences as to how a job gets safely done
I enjoyed it and miss the staff and clients.
HEALTH CARE AIDE (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, ABDecember 9, 2014
I really enjoy working for this company, I think fondly of the staff morale that we have. The atmosphere in the office has a really good tone and it spills out into the service realm with the HCA`s and nurses. I provided excellent high quality client care and I know other staff do as well.
It's a very happy place to work for we are a very good multidisciplinal team.
LPN (Current Employee) –  calgarySeptember 28, 2012
working with HCA, dietitian, PT/OT and activity aid to supply excellent care for our clients;
very good time management and critical thinking skills in work place;
There is always challenge part in every job which can be consdiered to be the hardest part of the job but will also be the most enjoyable part later on.
Pros
ice cream, free coffee
Rewarding
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ONAugust 9, 2012
I would start a 7 am listen to report from the night shift R.N. Then with my partner we would work together to get the resident washed and dressed for breakfast, bring them to the dinning room, serve the meal , assist with feeding , clear the dishes , bath residents according to the bath schedule for that day, serve lunch, clean up, encourage residents to get involved in activities that were offered.
-I learned time management skills, working as team member.
-I had amazing co-workers, caring hard working and fun to work with.
-Not having as much time to spend with each resident as I would like, working short staffed a lot of the time
-Rewarding to see the changes we make in the residents lives, seeing them accomplish tasks they thought they could not do.
Pros
welcoming in environment, friendly staff
Cons
seeing residents health decline
One of my favorite jobs.
Head Cook, Early Aid, etc (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABOctober 6, 2012
Working for Extendicare was a great experience. A typical day at work consisted of cooking, cleaning & talking to the residents. All of my Co-Workers were delightful people & for the most part we're always helpful whenever anyone needed it. The hardest part of the job was getting close to certain residents & then having them pass, but I always did my best to brighten their days while they were still with us. To me, that was the most enjoyable part of the job, & feeling of fulfillment I got every time I was there; which is why it was so hard for me to leave.
Pros
it was right accross the street from my apartment. hourly wage & benifits were great. free breakfast, lunch & dinner. being surrounded by people that always knew how to make me smile.
Cons
being the youngest person working there, and sometimes the days would be extremely long & stressful.
Productive and easy going co-workers
Benefits Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioFebruary 17, 2015
Many benefits coordinators acquire their skills and expertise through on-the-job learning, such as having constant discussion with other co-workers, reading union agreements etc.
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
Productive and a great place to work and a great atmosphere. Clean and inviting and if i needed a question answered it was always answered.
Personal Support Worker Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 1, 2015
A super great place to work and awesome people. Clean and inviting and if i needed a question answered it was always answered.
Great Staff and Residents
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 22, 2015
I have only been working here for almost 8 months, but the staff and residents are great people to work with. Everyone is helpful, kind and respectful.
Pros
flexible breaktimes
Cons
heavy workload
extendicare
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Port Hope, ONAugust 8, 2013
I loved working with the residents, they had great activities for them. Coworkers were mostly great people but a typical day was very busy and full. I learned many things while employed there, the hardest was their ailments and their life ending. The most enjoyable were their stories.
summar
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMay 12, 2015
I enjoyed working at extendicare. I would help residents with walking, playing games, relocating them if they needed help and running programs within the home.
Beware of Working Here Especially Registered Staff
Past Employee (Former Employee) –  Prescott OntarioApril 17, 2013
Chaotic and disorganized. Management has changed many times over past 2 years and people with little or no experience have been in charge of facility in the past. Management not supportive of staff and a great deal of staff turnover has occurred within past year. Grossly understaffed especially registered staff. In order to complete work you must stay overtime almost every day. Work most shifts with no break for the shift. Unrealistic expectations of staff regarding resident care and time frames for completion of work. Not enough staff to provide safe and competent care. Calls can go unanswered for 10- 15 minutes at some times. Registered staff are putting their license in jeopardy working here and most do not stay more than a few months.
Staff do the best they can with what they have to work with. Supplies are frequently not available for resident care.
Pros
staff and residents
love working with elderly
PSW (Former Employee) –  LondonFebruary 25, 2014
t
• Assisted patients with the activities of daily living
• Responded to call bells and accessed appropriate person to meet
patient needs
• Assisted patients with practicing and actualizing newly acquired skills
• Portered, lifted and transferred residents
• Notified clinical staff of changes in residents conditions
• Functioned as a team member to support patients in achieving goals
• Demonstrated effective patient focused communication with
patients/residents, families and team member
• Perform household management duties as assigned
• Report unsafe conditions in the residents home
• Participate in the service plan and report changes as needed to update residents condition
• Adapt and respond to residents requirements and wishes while working
within the established service plan
• Write and submit client reports according to established procedure Work with residents with behavior challenges, with dementia and Alzheimer’s

2.8