Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

ultilize my skills and education in a quality focused organization
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ONJune 15, 2016
worked night shift...11 -7 am...was great and demanding as night shift is not largely staffed. however whenever a curve ball was thrown at me like an employee didn't show up i would stay after work to catch up on the work that still needs to be done.
the best part of the day is helping people who have no one else that can help them out except for the PSW the fact that I am, there is a a great moral there.
I like to stay connected to my teams too...whether that be on the floor PSW or my Supervisor and or the other D.O.C.s and consistently be on time for work and set a schedule for myself so that all tasks are completed and proper.
look at task binder every shift , and sign that the task has been performed and inspection is thorough of all tasks in PSW task binders usually everyday there is a different tastks, while some tasks remain constant through out the time period.
perform delegated tasks ( ie: perform 25 brief changes and re position and record all observations for 25 clients in a palliative setting. Communicate using appropriate form of communication,ie: PSW ;on floor communicate with a walkies talkie. for two person (two PSWs) assistance such as a lift for toileting.
use appropriate language style for each different level of the members that make up the organisation consistence.
Challenging
Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, ABJuly 3, 2015
Typical day at work : Ensure safety of the elderly
Engage residents to challenging activities that stimulates mental function and promotes socialization
Serve meals and ensure resident’s safety during meal time
Ask residents for their meal of choice the next morning

I have learned to work with hot headed and short tempered elders.

The management is very organize and fair.

The hardest part of the job is to put others first before yourself.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see my residents happy and contented.
Pros
Two 15-minute breaks and one 30-minute lunch break
Same as Previous
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONSeptember 27, 2015
This review is the same as the previous review I just wrote.
Extendicare Health Services was a great experience for me, I enjoyed working in the environment as well as with the clients and staff.
Resident oriented and staff building
Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ONJune 11, 2015
Extendicare London offers a wonderful learning experience to new staff. The Staff makes you feel welcome and they are very receptive to your queries and answer questions as able or they point you in the right direction.

The inside and outside environs are very clean and you can see that the staff take pride in the services they offer to these Residents.

The hardest part of my job is losing one of the Residents when you have developed a professional relationship with.

I take each day as a learning experience and go home to reflect on what I have done and whether I made a difference today
Don't work for York St.
Nursing (Former Employee) –  York St sudburyJune 12, 2015
I worked at Extendicare York and had a very poor experience. Management is overworked and takes it out on front line staff at times. Most of the Frontline staff is fantastic except the few bad ones ruin it for everyone. They will bully you and make working there unbearable and management will do nothing. In fact, some will just bully you themselves. Save yourself the stress and don't work there.
Enjoyable place to work
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ONOctober 1, 2015
Really takes the time to care and look after the residents and employees. Everyone is very friendly and are there for the common good of the residents.
Fun, structured
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJuly 1, 2015
This type of job roles around "clicks" your either in or your out, as childish as that is and high school it sounds, its the sad truth of these unions, Choose your battles carefully and words especially to the right people. Great pay, not such great hours depending where you sit with seniority
Fun productive work place
PSW Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 21, 2015
I had the pleasure of completing my LTC placement at Extendicare Oshawa and it was a great experience. The staff were very kind, informative and helpful
Same as most continuing care facilities
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJuly 7, 2015
AHS does not fund for enough staff so there is significant staff burnout, turnover, etc. This isn't uncommon for most health care facilities though.
Pros
Great building
Cons
Short-staffed
Extendicare
Kitchen helper (Current Employee) –  60 Guildwood Pkwy, Scarborough, ON M1E 1N9July 26, 2015
i like it becz it is a really good help for them and that cook good food and i really like its awesome and i had work there for a while but right now i dont know if i should work there agian
Pros
Cons
7 hours
Rewarding job
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 11, 2015
It's the hardest job you will ever love.
Starts with report.
Next, being sure everyone is aware of their assignments.
And then I make rounds.
Care planning and MDS RAI
Providing treatments
Working as a team to provide the best care possible
Pros
opportunity for continuing education
Cons
stressful
cook
Cook (Current Employee) –  London, ONApril 27, 2015
Preparing food daily as outlined on menu
Serves food using therapeutic chart; knowledge of their diets
Organizing food preparation to ensure all meals and snacks are served on time
Responsible for the care and operation of food service equipment
productive place to work and build skills
Part time, 24 hrs (Current Employee) –  chatsworth ontarioOctober 14, 2014
this company is a good place to work, if you fit in. A lot of homes now have a way of not keeping people for very long. i myself have had a good experience here but i cant say the same for a lot of others. the care given by most is excellent and i enjoy going to work.
Pros
makes you feel good to be apart of these residents lives
Cons
gossip, occasional mistreatment verbally to other staff and residents.
wonderful co-workers
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ONOctober 6, 2014
a typical day at Extendicare is the love and compassion I receive each and every day from my wonderful residents, I learn the most important thing in life is CARING

My co-workers are AMAZING and WONDERFUL to work with

the Hardest part of my job is a resident passing away

the most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the Smile on my Residents face each and every morning
Pros
caring people
Cons
hard on the body
fun place to work with helping people wherever needed
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 4, 2014
I was responsible for painting nails of the elder women. I learned a lot about different cultures from the people that work there and also the elders. The management was sloppy at times but overall they came out with very successful events. My co-workers were very respectful and extremely nice at all times, which I enjoyed. The hardest part of the job was the beginning because I was extremely shy, but i got into the job quickly and loved it. The most enjoyable part of the job was bringing new ideas to the table and expanding the company.
Fast paced environment with judging co-workers
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 10, 2014
Doing the work is no problem. It's the people you work with, your co-workers only speak 'their' language even though its not allowed, and management yells at you for trying to enforce the rules. Management thinks they know everything even though they never stay late enough to see who does what and who doesn't. Hardest part is the continuous bashing with co-workers, always talking behind your back, and NOTHING gets done; management doesn't take the time to learn your name. It's like thanks, I've only been working here for 5 years so no big deal, maybe you'll get it next year...
Pros
money
Cons
management & co-workers- understaffed
PSW Placement
PSW Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 11, 2015
I was very very happy with my experience with Extendicare overall. The residents that I worked with and the co-workers as a whole were fantastic when it came to taking their time and knowledge of the position and training us students.
Pros
fast paced enviroment
Cons
differences as to how a job gets safely done
Horrible experience
Recreational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ONApril 29, 2014
I have only ever worked at one Extendicare, so this review is not for every single one. I worked at the one situated in Halton Hills, border of Georgetown/Acton. The management there was horrible - they never communicate important information to you but then get angry when you are not informed (ex. residents in isolation, outbreak, residents passing away). There is also a lot of favoritism here - you will never advance if you don't kiss ___.
Pros
the residents
Cons
long hours, weekends, missed breaks, no communication
Great expierence , wonderful people & residents
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines ONApril 23, 2014
I really enjoyed my time at Extendicare long term care, most co workers were great to be around and of coarse all the residents.
I learned what it's like to be in a long term care setting & I got to work with many different disabilities & illness's. I learned how to handle different situations, and of coarse the ropes of providing care to residents in the long term care facility.
Example ;
Make beds
AM/PM care
Feeding
Working as a team player
DIETARY AIDE (Former Employee) –  Lakefield, ONFebruary 21, 2014
Serving residents food and beverages according to diet
Learning what residents like and dislike
Management and co-workers are very kind and helpful
Hardest part of my job is a resident passing away, especially if you have become attached to them
Most enjoyable part of my job is learning about the residents, and being able to get to know them as a person and learn interesting stories of their earlier job occupations, family members, working as a team with co-workers
Pros
attending courses to learn more eg: zero tolerance policies for abuse
Cons
very physically demanding job, it is all about the residents and making sure they are happy and comfortable

2.8