Extendicare Health Services, Inc.

Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Review
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Athabasca, AB27 February 2017
Not the best work environment,short staffed often stressful. Often work hours are much longer than your shift. Many bosses, no workers. Do not seem to value staff
Pros
residents
Cons
bad enviroment
Set your limits at the start
RN (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 September 2016
They will call you all the time for shifts even after you give them your availability.
Excellent PSW and RPNs to work with and they work very hard and often short staffed.
RN responsibilities are enough to keep you very busy.
Pros
Excellent workers overall
Cons
short staffed and lots of shifts if you want them
nice place, nice people in there
HCA (Current Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB24 August 2016
I learned a lot, like how should I talk and mingle with the people I look after (residents) also with co-workers. I work at night shift so the hardest part of it is you don't sleep while at work especially that I'm committed to my job. I love working with the residents and I enjoy doing my job.
A fast pace environment
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, On10 September 2016
Hardest part of the job is being on your feet, not being able to slow down and managing time between residents and required computer work.
Pros
shift goes quick
Cons
only 30 min breaks
Has a pretty good activities department
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 September 2016
Managment is terrible. Abuse is swept under the rug. Bullying is rampid amongst staff. Accomidations can be made for meals or special diet considerations.
Extendicare Review
PSW/RPN (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON18 May 2016
I didn't personally enjoy working at this home, as a PSW due to the type of treatment you get from other staff. Yet I enjoyed when I got my few RPN shifts and I was told by management that I was good at it.
Nightmare
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON28 April 2016
This place is a nest of toxins, unstable no job security for full time staff. Old building with lots of problems and cut backs
Pros
Wage fair
Cons
People are unkind and like to see people fail.
Beware of Working Here Especially Registered Staff
Past Employee (Former Employee) –  Prescott Ontario17 April 2013
Chaotic and disorganized. Management has changed many times over past 2 years and people with little or no experience have been in charge of facility in the past. Management not supportive of staff and a great deal of staff turnover has occurred within past year. Grossly understaffed especially registered staff. In order to complete work you must stay overtime almost every day. Work most shifts with no break for the shift. Unrealistic expectations of staff regarding resident care and time frames for completion of work. Not enough staff to provide safe and competent care. Calls can go unanswered for 10- 15 minutes at some times. Registered staff are putting their license in jeopardy working here and most do not stay more than a few months.
Staff do the best they can with what they have to work with. Supplies are frequently not available for resident care.
Pros
staff and residents
Cons
ultilize my skills and education in a quality focused organization
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON15 June 2016
worked night shift...11 -7 am...was great and demanding as night shift is not largely staffed. however whenever a curve ball was thrown at me like an employee didn't show up i would stay after work to catch up on the work that still needs to be done.
the best part of the day is helping people who have no one else that can help them out except for the PSW the fact that I am, there is a a great moral there.
I like to stay connected to my teams too...whether that be on the floor PSW or my Supervisor and or the other D.O.C.s and consistently be on time for work and set a schedule for myself so that all tasks are completed and proper.
look at task binder every shift , and sign that the task has been performed and inspection is thorough of all tasks in PSW task binders usually everyday there is a different tastks, while some tasks remain constant through out the time period.
perform delegated tasks ( ie: perform 25 brief changes and re position and record all observations for 25 clients in a palliative setting. Communicate using appropriate form of communication,ie: PSW ;on floor communicate with a walkies talkie. for two person (two PSWs) assistance such as a lift for toileting.
use appropriate language style for each different level of the members that make up the organisation consistence.
A good transition from public/food industry jobs to health care setting
Cook/Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2016
I have worked in many jobs where employers have questionable work ethics and will be hard to enforce fair employee policies especially with no union. This is a huge step-up as I feel secure in doing my work duties safely and that more opportunities of a concrete professional employer-employee relationship with clear policies and standards. Great work ethics and growth can be recognized with the knowledge and application of the employee handbook and company policies. The workplace can always be improved as most workers who have been there for a very long time can be resisting to changes of work flow and system, technology and policies. The resistance of change can dampen the workplace in an archaic and one-dimensional environment.
My job entails fast-paced and efficient multi-tasking duties. It is time constrained, must be able to work independently and prioritize daily duties. It can be very stressful but the result/end-of-the-day can be very rewarding as cooking quality food for an older generation while practicing and challenging work ethics can feel immensely gratifying.
One big problem being faced now is working full-time hours with no benefits as a casual worker for more than 3 years. Because I work casual I feel overwhelmed when pulling night then morning then double shifts with short notices for months at times. Great money but personal life has suffered. Comes with most jobs these days and this is one them. I have built trust and dependability towards my employers and employees that I feel has not been recognized, as of yet.
One of the greatest job opportunities and
  more... experience but I recently feel the need to look for companies to gain more experience, growth and recognition.  less
Pros
- clear and concise policies that can be effectively applied with knowledge
Cons
- growth, and experience seems limited when starting small (bottom of seniority) especially if co-workers, and management doesn't foster new, innovative change; not adaptable

Want to know more about Extendicare Health Services, Inc.?

Ask a question
fun place to work with helping people wherever needed
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 September 2014
I was responsible for painting nails of the elder women. I learned a lot about different cultures from the people that work there and also the elders. The management was sloppy at times but overall they came out with very successful events. My co-workers were very respectful and extremely nice at all times, which I enjoyed. The hardest part of the job was the beginning because I was extremely shy, but i got into the job quickly and loved it. The most enjoyable part of the job was bringing new ideas to the table and expanding the company.
working with people
Nursing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 April 2016
high paced
how to deal with challenging situations
poor management
few team players

families and residents were the best about the job
Pros
good hours
Cons
poor management
Productive and fun working experience with the elderly
Household Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 April 2016
It is day to day basis kinda of work for the seniors home, learning lots of experience each of them. To know their needs for the day and give their satisfactions. Should maintain the consistent manner is very important. Should have team work with the co-workers to make the day run easily. The hardest part of the job is how you handle constantly your patient at all times and should be there all the time. And the most enjoyable part of the job is when you earned the hardship you provide to them.
....
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON20 June 2016
Great place to work for! Nice new building, great staff and awesome residents! Love helping people and making them smile!
You really don't want to work here!
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON25 March 2013
Terrible place for staff and residents!
Overworked PSW's who are responsible for the care of upwards of 13 clients. Management refused to allow staff to wear lighter summer clothing until two PSW's had fainted from the humidity.
Pay is only good due to Union presence, and this company tried to force its staff into a pay freeze despite a great profit margin. This company allowed several situations in which clients relatives bullied the staff, threatening to have them fired, allowing them to gossip amongst staff and other residents about staff and residents, every single day.
Management turnover on the high side. In two years they had to replace both the DOC and the ADOC, and the staff educator, all of whom were replaced by RN's with little to no experience on the units themselves, so therefore no practical knowledge.
Pay cheques were often wrong, scheduling was poor due to lack of communication and they refused to pay a staff member her back pay when she realized she had been under-paid for approximately a year.
Union is not interested in fighting for anyone, too friendly with management.
Pros
location.
Cons
see above.
Horrible experience
Recreational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON29 April 2014
I have only ever worked at one Extendicare, so this review is not for every single one. I worked at the one situated in Halton Hills, border of Georgetown/Acton. The management there was horrible - they never communicate important information to you but then get angry when you are not informed (ex. residents in isolation, outbreak, residents passing away). There is also a lot of favoritism here - you will never advance if you don't kiss ___.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Long hours, weekends, missed breaks, no communication
serious but yet still a fun place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Viking, AB17 February 2016
typical day started out with staff meeting in the morning you find out what's going on with the patients, staff, the building, what to do, not to do, and extra things that could get done if you had free time
I learned to manage my time efficiently threw out the workplace
the best time I would have at work would be when I was all done all my duties and I would help out the recreation staff and just have some fun with the patients.
Some people think that whatever its just a job you do what you got to do and get out but I never thought its just a job you sometimes really connect with the patients, cleaning staff, care aid or whatever kind of staff you are it happens and the hardest part about working in this kind of area is when you lose a patient. To come into work and hear this person passed away, definitely put a damper on the day and was definitely the HARDEST part about the job.
Pros
connecting with the people
Cons
some of the messes i had to clean
Horrible people
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON11 March 2016
A building full of gossiping wlder abusers. Management uses and abuses you and then throws you away. No chance of working happily here.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Terrible place
Very productive, educational and challenging but loving environment. Fast pace!
Staff Nurse - Early Dementia Unit (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2012
The management is absolutely supportive. I learned and developed many skills I thought I never had. My self confidence is 90% better than before. I love working with my co-workers and love the residents. I couldn't complain and can't say any negative comments about this company because I got so much in return.
Pros
freedom to make decisions if needed. free coffee!
Cons
long hours yes.
Stressful environment
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 May 2016
The most selfish organization to work for.. No matter how hard you work to bring stuff up to standard that was not there before, one is not acknowledged or appreciated for it.
The only good thing I have gotten from working for this organization are the work relationships I have built.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Not appriciated, low moral, Over worked

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extendicare Health Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8