Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

A good transition from public/food industry jobs to health care setting
Cook/Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2016
I have worked in many jobs where employers have questionable work ethics and will be hard to enforce fair employee policies especially with no union. This is a huge step-up as I feel secure in doing my work duties safely and that more opportunities of a concrete professional employer-employee relationship with clear policies and standards. Great work ethics and growth can be recognized with the knowledge and application of the employee handbook and company policies. The workplace can always be improved as most workers who have been there for a very long time can be resisting to changes of work flow and system, technology and policies. The resistance of change can dampen the workplace in an archaic and one-dimensional environment.
My job entails fast-paced and efficient multi-tasking duties. It is time constrained, must be able to work independently and prioritize daily duties. It can be very stressful but the result/end-of-the-day can be very rewarding as cooking quality food for an older generation while practicing and challenging work ethics can feel immensely gratifying.
One big problem being faced now is working full-time hours with no benefits as a casual worker for more than 3 years. Because I work casual I feel overwhelmed when pulling night then morning then double shifts with short notices for months at times. Great money but personal life has suffered. Comes with most jobs these days and this is one them. I have built trust and dependability towards my employers and employees that I feel has not been recognized, as of yet.
One of the greatest job opportunities and
  more... experience but I recently feel the need to look for companies to gain more experience, growth and recognition.  less
Pros
- clear and concise policies that can be effectively applied with knowledge
Cons
- growth, and experience seems limited when starting small (bottom of seniority) especially if co-workers, and management doesn't foster new, innovative change; not adaptable
Horrible people
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON11 March 2016
A building full of gossiping wlder abusers. Management uses and abuses you and then throws you away. No chance of working happily here.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Terrible place
serious but yet still a fun place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Viking, AB17 February 2016
typical day started out with staff meeting in the morning you find out what's going on with the patients, staff, the building, what to do, not to do, and extra things that could get done if you had free time
I learned to manage my time efficiently threw out the workplace
the best time I would have at work would be when I was all done all my duties and I would help out the recreation staff and just have some fun with the patients.
Some people think that whatever its just a job you do what you got to do and get out but I never thought its just a job you sometimes really connect with the patients, cleaning staff, care aid or whatever kind of staff you are it happens and the hardest part about working in this kind of area is when you lose a patient. To come into work and hear this person passed away, definitely put a damper on the day and was definitely the HARDEST part about the job.
Pros
connecting with the people
Cons
some of the messes i had to clean
a very good place to work at.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ON15 January 2016
I've been enjoying my job as a Personal Support Worker since i been hired at Extendicare London. The residents are Fantastic & the staff are great as well.
enjoy the work, not the place
Recreational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB13 January 2016
i enjoy the work and some of the people who work there, but there are time when its questions my own ethics and beliefs, i dont like to put my name and career to that.
Pros
nice lunch hour
Cons
managerment
Family atmosphere
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Vulcan, AB25 November 2015
Days are long, but very rewarding. Staff all work hard to maintain a safe, enjoyable experience daily.

Very Organized, and clean.
Pros
Strengthens you inside and out.
Cons
Dealing with death more often than any other work atmosphere.
My favorite place of employment
Support services (Current Employee) –  Viking, AB11 November 2015
Absolutely loved working with the residents. Everyday was always new and different, despite being in the same building with the same staff. I would really enjoy being able to stay in Health Services, I take a lot of pride in helping people that are in need. Just to sit with a resident and have a cup of tea to make thier whole day. I still casually pick up shifts here.
workplace
Household support worker (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB20 October 2015
since I work in this company I learned a lot from my co worker and all the people around me, this kind of job is not easy because were dealing with seniors who had some kind of sickness like dementia, Alzheimer's and many more, but at the end of the day you will realized that this seniors needs your help. and I know myself that I did a good job. I take pride in my job and its nice to see the smiling faces of the people whom I working with. I have always my Tender Loving Care to all my residents that I'm working with.
Enjoyable place to work
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON1 October 2015
Really takes the time to care and look after the residents and employees. Everyone is very friendly and are there for the common good of the residents.
Same as Previous
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 September 2015
This review is the same as the previous review I just wrote.
Extendicare Health Services was a great experience for me, I enjoyed working in the environment as well as with the clients and staff.
Fun productive work place
PSW Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON21 September 2015
I had the pleasure of completing my LTC placement at Extendicare Oshawa and it was a great experience. The staff were very kind, informative and helpful
productive work place with wonderful hard working team
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2015
I love my job, I get to learn and experience something new every day it makes my job challenging while rewarding in the same time, I have wonderful team mates and a experienced understand manager, knowing every ones need which make the job challenging and meeting new residents by fulfilling there needs makes my job rewarding .
Pros
fun work place with supportive team and managment
Extendicare
Kitchen helper (Current Employee) –  60 Guildwood Pkwy, Scarborough, ON M1E 1N926 July 2015
i like it becz it is a really good help for them and that cook good food and i really like its awesome and i had work there for a while but right now i dont know if i should work there agian
Pros
Cons
7 hours
Same as most continuing care facilities
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 July 2015
AHS does not fund for enough staff so there is significant staff burnout, turnover, etc. This isn't uncommon for most health care facilities though.
Pros
Great building
Cons
Short-staffed
Challenging
Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, AB3 July 2015
Typical day at work : Ensure safety of the elderly
Engage residents to challenging activities that stimulates mental function and promotes socialization
Serve meals and ensure resident’s safety during meal time
Ask residents for their meal of choice the next morning

I have learned to work with hot headed and short tempered elders.

The management is very organize and fair.

The hardest part of the job is to put others first before yourself.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see my residents happy and contented.
Pros
Two 15-minute breaks and one 30-minute lunch break
Fun, structured
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK1 July 2015
This type of job roles around "clicks" your either in or your out, as childish as that is and high school it sounds, its the sad truth of these unions, Choose your battles carefully and words especially to the right people. Great pay, not such great hours depending where you sit with seniority
Don't work for York St.
Nursing (Former Employee) –  York St sudbury12 June 2015
I worked at Extendicare York and had a very poor experience. Management is overworked and takes it out on front line staff at times. Most of the Frontline staff is fantastic except the few bad ones ruin it for everyone. They will bully you and make working there unbearable and management will do nothing. In fact, some will just bully you themselves. Save yourself the stress and don't work there.
Resident oriented and staff building
Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ON11 June 2015
Extendicare London offers a wonderful learning experience to new staff. The Staff makes you feel welcome and they are very receptive to your queries and answer questions as able or they point you in the right direction.

The inside and outside environs are very clean and you can see that the staff take pride in the services they offer to these Residents.

The hardest part of my job is losing one of the Residents when you have developed a professional relationship with.

I take each day as a learning experience and go home to reflect on what I have done and whether I made a difference today
summar
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON12 May 2015
I enjoyed working at extendicare. I would help residents with walking, playing games, relocating them if they needed help and running programs within the home.
cook
Cook (Current Employee) –  London, ON27 April 2015
Preparing food daily as outlined on menu
Serves food using therapeutic chart; knowledge of their diets
Organizing food preparation to ensure all meals and snacks are served on time
Responsible for the care and operation of food service equipment

2.8