Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

serious but yet still a fun place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Viking, AB17 February 2016
typical day started out with staff meeting in the morning you find out what's going on with the patients, staff, the building, what to do, not to do, and extra things that could get done if you had free time
I learned to manage my time efficiently threw out the workplace
the best time I would have at work would be when I was all done all my duties and I would help out the recreation staff and just have some fun with the patients.
Some people think that whatever its just a job you do what you got to do and get out but I never thought its just a job you sometimes really connect with the patients, cleaning staff, care aid or whatever kind of staff you are it happens and the hardest part about working in this kind of area is when you lose a patient. To come into work and hear this person passed away, definitely put a damper on the day and was definitely the HARDEST part about the job.
Pros
connecting with the people
Cons
some of the messes i had to clean
Horrible people
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON11 March 2016
A building full of gossiping wlder abusers. Management uses and abuses you and then throws you away. No chance of working happily here.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Terrible place
Stressful environment
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 May 2016
The most selfish organization to work for.. No matter how hard you work to bring stuff up to standard that was not there before, one is not acknowledged or appreciated for it.
The only good thing I have gotten from working for this organization are the work relationships I have built.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Not appriciated, low moral, Over worked
Extendicare
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 June 2016
It takes years to get a full time job, people always call in sick and they call you in constantly and everyone talks behind your back
Beware of Working Here Especially Registered Staff
Past Employee (Former Employee) –  Prescott Ontario17 April 2013
Chaotic and disorganized. Management has changed many times over past 2 years and people with little or no experience have been in charge of facility in the past. Management not supportive of staff and a great deal of staff turnover has occurred within past year. Grossly understaffed especially registered staff. In order to complete work you must stay overtime almost every day. Work most shifts with no break for the shift. Unrealistic expectations of staff regarding resident care and time frames for completion of work. Not enough staff to provide safe and competent care. Calls can go unanswered for 10- 15 minutes at some times. Registered staff are putting their license in jeopardy working here and most do not stay more than a few months.
Staff do the best they can with what they have to work with. Supplies are frequently not available for resident care.
Pros
staff and residents
Cons
productive and great working environment
Student persanl support worker (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 April 2016
Excellent work environment with team and independent work. Loved working with the other nurses and with the clients. every day was eventful. and there was always something to do.
enjoy the work, not the place
Recreational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB13 January 2016
i enjoy the work and some of the people who work there, but there are time when its questions my own ethics and beliefs, i dont like to put my name and career to that.
Pros
nice lunch hour
Cons
managerment
fun place to work with helping people wherever needed
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 September 2014
I was responsible for painting nails of the elder women. I learned a lot about different cultures from the people that work there and also the elders. The management was sloppy at times but overall they came out with very successful events. My co-workers were very respectful and extremely nice at all times, which I enjoyed. The hardest part of the job was the beginning because I was extremely shy, but i got into the job quickly and loved it. The most enjoyable part of the job was bringing new ideas to the table and expanding the company.
You really don't want to work here!
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON25 March 2013
Terrible place for staff and residents!
Overworked PSW's who are responsible for the care of upwards of 13 clients. Management refused to allow staff to wear lighter summer clothing until two PSW's had fainted from the humidity.
Pay is only good due to Union presence, and this company tried to force its staff into a pay freeze despite a great profit margin. This company allowed several situations in which clients relatives bullied the staff, threatening to have them fired, allowing them to gossip amongst staff and other residents about staff and residents, every single day.
Management turnover on the high side. In two years they had to replace both the DOC and the ADOC, and the staff educator, all of whom were replaced by RN's with little to no experience on the units themselves, so therefore no practical knowledge.
Pay cheques were often wrong, scheduling was poor due to lack of communication and they refused to pay a staff member her back pay when she realized she had been under-paid for approximately a year.
Union is not interested in fighting for anyone, too friendly with management.
Pros
location.
Cons
see above.
Horrible experience
Recreational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON29 April 2014
I have only ever worked at one Extendicare, so this review is not for every single one. I worked at the one situated in Halton Hills, border of Georgetown/Acton. The management there was horrible - they never communicate important information to you but then get angry when you are not informed (ex. residents in isolation, outbreak, residents passing away). There is also a lot of favoritism here - you will never advance if you don't kiss ___.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Long hours, weekends, missed breaks, no communication
Very productive, educational and challenging but loving environment. Fast pace!
Staff Nurse - Early Dementia Unit (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2012
The management is absolutely supportive. I learned and developed many skills I thought I never had. My self confidence is 90% better than before. I love working with my co-workers and love the residents. I couldn't complain and can't say any negative comments about this company because I got so much in return.
Pros
freedom to make decisions if needed. free coffee!
Cons
long hours yes.
Challenging
Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, AB3 July 2015
Typical day at work : Ensure safety of the elderly
Engage residents to challenging activities that stimulates mental function and promotes socialization
Serve meals and ensure resident’s safety during meal time
Ask residents for their meal of choice the next morning

I have learned to work with hot headed and short tempered elders.

The management is very organize and fair.

The hardest part of the job is to put others first before yourself.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see my residents happy and contented.
Pros
Two 15-minute breaks and one 30-minute lunch break
Family atmosphere
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Vulcan, AB25 November 2015
Days are long, but very rewarding. Staff all work hard to maintain a safe, enjoyable experience daily.

Very Organized, and clean.
Pros
Strengthens you inside and out.
Cons
Dealing with death more often than any other work atmosphere.
Productive and easy going co-workers
Benefits Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario17 February 2015
Many benefits coordinators acquire their skills and expertise through on-the-job learning, such as having constant discussion with other co-workers, reading union agreements etc.
Pros
Flexable hours
Cons
Long Hours
Rewarding
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON9 August 2012
I would start a 7 am listen to report from the night shift R.N. Then with my partner we would work together to get the resident washed and dressed for breakfast, bring them to the dinning room, serve the meal , assist with feeding , clear the dishes , bath residents according to the bath schedule for that day, serve lunch, clean up, encourage residents to get involved in activities that were offered.
-I learned time management skills, working as team member.
-I had amazing co-workers, caring hard working and fun to work with.
-Not having as much time to spend with each resident as I would like, working short staffed a lot of the time
-Rewarding to see the changes we make in the residents lives, seeing them accomplish tasks they thought they could not do.
Pros
welcoming in environment, friendly staff
Cons
seeing residents health decline
One of my favorite jobs.
Head Cook, Early Aid, etc (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB6 October 2012
Working for Extendicare was a great experience. A typical day at work consisted of cooking, cleaning & talking to the residents. All of my Co-Workers were delightful people & for the most part we're always helpful whenever anyone needed it. The hardest part of the job was getting close to certain residents & then having them pass, but I always did my best to brighten their days while they were still with us. To me, that was the most enjoyable part of the job, & feeling of fulfillment I got every time I was there; which is why it was so hard for me to leave.
Pros
it was right accross the street from my apartment. hourly wage & benifits were great. free breakfast, lunch & dinner. being surrounded by people that always knew how to make me smile.
Cons
being the youngest person working there, and sometimes the days would be extremely long & stressful.
Productive work enviroment with lots of opportunity to grow
Part Time Maintenance Man. (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 February 2014
My typical day at work will be checking all the maintenance log books to ensure i review and repair any required maintnenance issues that were previously reported to keep a safe environment. I enjoy working in this industry as it is very multicultrial and diverse. The most difficult part of this job is making sure that all the proirity issues get resolved before the end of the shift, if i can't get this done i would always stay till they have been completed. This company doesn't like to pay overtime so this is a challenge but i never leave safety issues undone.
Pros
good salary
Cons
working with many things to be achieved in a short day
love working with elderly
PSW (Former Employee) –  London25 February 2014
t
• Assisted patients with the activities of daily living
• Responded to call bells and accessed appropriate person to meet
patient needs
• Assisted patients with practicing and actualizing newly acquired skills
• Portered, lifted and transferred residents
• Notified clinical staff of changes in residents conditions
• Functioned as a team member to support patients in achieving goals
• Demonstrated effective patient focused communication with
patients/residents, families and team member
• Perform household management duties as assigned
• Report unsafe conditions in the residents home
• Participate in the service plan and report changes as needed to update residents condition
• Adapt and respond to residents requirements and wishes while working
within the established service plan
• Write and submit client reports according to established procedure Work with residents with behavior challenges, with dementia and Alzheimer’s
Working as a team player
DIETARY AIDE (Former Employee) –  Lakefield, ON21 February 2014
Serving residents food and beverages according to diet
Learning what residents like and dislike
Management and co-workers are very kind and helpful
Hardest part of my job is a resident passing away, especially if you have become attached to them
Most enjoyable part of my job is learning about the residents, and being able to get to know them as a person and learn interesting stories of their earlier job occupations, family members, working as a team with co-workers
Pros
Attending courses to learn more eg: Zero tolerance policies for abuse
Cons
Very physically demanding job, it is all about the residents and making sure they are happy and comfortable
staffing shortage often
Nurse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Somerset, MB16 October 2014
Management was reasonably ok
Workload 50 plus hrs a week
Co-workers relatively good to work with
Enjoyed working with the elderly clients
Pros
fairly good job security
Cons
no real cons

2.8