Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Good Company to work.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2016
A very nice company to work for looking after the welfare of customers and employees. Remarkable management that promotes dignity of workers. Co-workers know how to work as a team and always willing to help each other.
Pros
Reasoable salary
Cons
excellent work atmosphere..friendly staff.
LPN (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 November 2016
Extendicare eaux claires is one of the best LTC's in Edmonton. Being a part of this big family is full of ooportunities to learn more skills. However,advancement in technology in extendicare is a little bit behind when you compare some other Healthcare giants in Canada.
I am 100% satisfied with their in service education opportunities such as Itacit.com. I am a happy staff, even if I don't get enough shifts.
Pros
In service education opportunities
Cons
Use of technology
Not the greatest company to work for
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  North York, ON10 February 2017
This is the worst company to work for. The staff are treated with no respect and the residents are treated like money signs.....the more residents ,the more government funding for this private nursing home.
The hardest part of this job was dealing with management, They have no regard or respect for Persosnal support workers.
Pros
no pros to this company
Cons
heavy work load, not enough staff on duty.
If you want an ulcer, work here.
HCA (Former Employee) –  Viking, AB11 February 2017
There is no consistency to anything in this facility. Some staff are worked to death while others have the ear of the administration and get away with no showing and time off for every paper cut with no consequences. Decent staff leave regularly because of daily state of emergency, lack of communication from the top and no consequences to deplorable work habits. Turn a blind eye is the motto here.

"Leadership team" is only there to get in lieu time off, do personal business ie: make husbands Birthday invitations. Talk about weekends and drink at each other's houses.
When residents weren't getting break fast until late morning, leadership team would walk through the dining room to staff room to get their coffees while residents had none. And refused to help feed residents as they had more important things to do.
Pros
Best pay in town
Cons
Every hour of the day
Extendicare south wood lakes Windsor ont
Psw (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON16 August 2016
The worst place I've ever worked. Staff are lazy and just don't care! Management does what they want and have their own Arabic click since the new doc came in. Management lacks many many things and treats psw's like garbage. The ones who work the hardest and care the most are black balled. God forbid if you injure yourself there. Nobody believes you and management treats you terrible!! The only good thing about this facility are the residents. What a shame to work in this type of environment
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Awful management
respectful work place
PSW (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 January 2017
lots of work respectful good co workers
mornings are the busy
friendly getting people up to lunch dinner breakfast days off are relaxing
Pros
christmas party
Cons
Find another company to work for that actually has ethics
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer15 July 2016
I worked as a site maintenance contractor. the work philosophy is simple: "go change the wigit over there, and good luck getting the replacement wigit or the tools to replace the thing.

You are accountable for every thing however the resolution to the problems lay with upper management. If you are too diligent in your job you will make the bosses look bad. So with my 35 plus years work experience,l say look for another company that practices what they preach at the highest levels: INTEGRITY
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Management incompetence at the highest levels
Great place to work.
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 June 2016
All you have to do is be reliable , show up for your shifts and do your best and they will treat you good, The scheduling staff for casuals is awesome if you want more hours you just gotta be proactive and give them a call and not just rely on being on call , and they will put you to work. I loved it there ! I would still be there if i didnt relocate .
They are also hands down one of the best places to take your practicum . When it comes to staff and clients well being they have no time for non sense, they also wont fudge your reviews they will actually prepare for the career field
Pros
great starting pay, team work
Cons
sometimes short staffed due to l no shows
Safe workplace
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON10 November 2016
Nice place to work residents and staff. Management is approachable and staff as well. It is more organized than any other home I've previously worked at.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Early Shifts
working with elderly
Health Care Aid (Current Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ON26 September 2016
the knowledge I am gaining in working with the elderly in their "last chapter" is immensely satisfying. I have a great respect for all patients and treat them the way I would like to be treated; with respect, compassion and knowledge. My colleagues are as thoughtful and this makes the atmosphere even better for our patients. The most difficult part of my job I must admit is losing my patients, although very difficult, just the fact that I can make their lives better and as comfortable as possible, is the main reason I work in the field!
Pros
close to home
Cons
not permanent
Busy always but relaxed and enjoy working.
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cedars Villa, Calgary5 August 2016
How to work in a big team and working with elderly populations. Supporting colleagues, supervisors and managers. Friendly work place and lots of social activities. Encouragement for higher or career progress.
Pros
Friendly and health working place
Cons
Busy always
Friendly staff
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2017
As a casual staff my typical day varies depending on the unit. However most days are busy. I start by assessing ill residents to passing meds. Then I do wound dressing, notify MD if concerned about any resident, process orders. Importantly try to observe my breaks where I get to chat with colleagues/ staff.
Pros
Programm manager always on the facility to assisst
Cons
some days working over time without pay
Lack of communication
Cook (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON8 February 2017
Poor communication between general manager and leadership team. Also constantly told to do additional tasks not related to job duties which should not be required of kitchen staff. No life / work balance as explained.
Biggest disappointment was lack of communication.
Good experience
Personal Support Worker Field Placement (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON10 January 2017
A good place for practical experiences of the internship or placement works after completing the health worker course from the collage.

Also good place for volunteering works.
Set your limits at the start
RN (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 September 2016
They will call you all the time for shifts even after you give them your availability.
Excellent PSW and RPNs to work with and they work very hard and often short staffed.
RN responsibilities are enough to keep you very busy.
Pros
Excellent workers overall
Cons
short staffed and lots of shifts if you want them
A fast pace environment
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, On10 September 2016
Hardest part of the job is being on your feet, not being able to slow down and managing time between residents and required computer work.
Pros
shift goes quick
Cons
only 30 min breaks
nice place, nice people in there
HCA (Current Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB24 August 2016
I learned a lot, like how should I talk and mingle with the people I look after (residents) also with co-workers. I work at night shift so the hardest part of it is you don't sleep while at work especially that I'm committed to my job. I love working with the residents and I enjoy doing my job.
Has a pretty good activities department
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 September 2016
Managment is terrible. Abuse is swept under the rug. Bullying is rampid amongst staff. Accomidations can be made for meals or special diet considerations.
Extendicare Review
PSW/RPN (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON18 May 2016
I didn't personally enjoy working at this home, as a PSW due to the type of treatment you get from other staff. Yet I enjoyed when I got my few RPN shifts and I was told by management that I was good at it.
Nightmare
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON28 April 2016
This place is a nest of toxins, unstable no job security for full time staff. Old building with lots of problems and cut backs
Pros
Wage fair
Cons
People are unkind and like to see people fail.

2.8