Extendicare Health Services, Inc.

Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

A good transition from public/food industry jobs to health care setting
Cook/Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2016
I have worked in many jobs where employers have questionable work ethics and will be hard to enforce fair employee policies especially with no union. This is a huge step-up as I feel secure in doing my work duties safely and that more opportunities of a concrete professional employer-employee relationship with clear policies and standards. Great work ethics and growth can be recognized with the knowledge and application of the employee handbook and company policies. The workplace can always be improved as most workers who have been there for a very long time can be resisting to changes of work flow and system, technology and policies. The resistance of change can dampen the workplace in an archaic and one-dimensional environment.
My job entails fast-paced and efficient multi-tasking duties. It is time constrained, must be able to work independently and prioritize daily duties. It can be very stressful but the result/end-of-the-day can be very rewarding as cooking quality food for an older generation while practicing and challenging work ethics can feel immensely gratifying.
One big problem being faced now is working full-time hours with no benefits as a casual worker for more than 3 years. Because I work casual I feel overwhelmed when pulling night then morning then double shifts with short notices for months at times. Great money but personal life has suffered. Comes with most jobs these days and this is one them. I have built trust and dependability towards my employers and employees that I feel has not been recognized, as of yet.
One of the greatest job opportunities and
  more... experience but I recently feel the need to look for companies to gain more experience, growth and recognition.  less
Pros
- clear and concise policies that can be effectively applied with knowledge
Cons
- growth, and experience seems limited when starting small (bottom of seniority) especially if co-workers, and management doesn't foster new, innovative change; not adaptable
serious but yet still a fun place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Viking, ABFebruary 17, 2016
typical day started out with staff meeting in the morning you find out what's going on with the patients, staff, the building, what to do, not to do, and extra things that could get done if you had free time
I learned to manage my time efficiently threw out the workplace
the best time I would have at work would be when I was all done all my duties and I would help out the recreation staff and just have some fun with the patients.
Some people think that whatever its just a job you do what you got to do and get out but I never thought its just a job you sometimes really connect with the patients, cleaning staff, care aid or whatever kind of staff you are it happens and the hardest part about working in this kind of area is when you lose a patient. To come into work and hear this person passed away, definitely put a damper on the day and was definitely the HARDEST part about the job.
Pros
connecting with the people
Cons
some of the messes i had to clean
Productive and fun working experience with the elderly
Household Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABApril 5, 2016
It is day to day basis kinda of work for the seniors home, learning lots of experience each of them. To know their needs for the day and give their satisfactions. Should maintain the consistent manner is very important. Should have team work with the co-workers to make the day run easily. The hardest part of the job is how you handle constantly your patient at all times and should be there all the time. And the most enjoyable part of the job is when you earned the hardship you provide to them.
working with people
Nursing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 3, 2016
high paced
how to deal with challenging situations
poor management
few team players

families and residents were the best about the job
Pros
good hours
Cons
poor management
Stressful environment
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 2, 2016
The most selfish organization to work for.. No matter how hard you work to bring stuff up to standard that was not there before, one is not acknowledged or appreciated for it.
The only good thing I have gotten from working for this organization are the work relationships I have built.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Not appriciated, low moral, Over worked
Horrible people
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 11, 2016
A building full of gossiping wlder abusers. Management uses and abuses you and then throws you away. No chance of working happily here.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Terrible place
enjoy the work, not the place
Recreational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJanuary 13, 2016
i enjoy the work and some of the people who work there, but there are time when its questions my own ethics and beliefs, i dont like to put my name and career to that.
Pros
nice lunch hour
Cons
managerment
Family atmosphere
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Vulcan, ABNovember 25, 2015
Days are long, but very rewarding. Staff all work hard to maintain a safe, enjoyable experience daily.

Very Organized, and clean.
Pros
Strengthens you inside and out.
Cons
Dealing with death more often than any other work atmosphere.
productive and great working environment
Student persanl support worker (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 26, 2016
Excellent work environment with team and independent work. Loved working with the other nurses and with the clients. every day was eventful. and there was always something to do.
Extendicare Review
PSW/RPN (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONMay 18, 2016
I didn't personally enjoy working at this home, as a PSW due to the type of treatment you get from other staff. Yet I enjoyed when I got my few RPN shifts and I was told by management that I was good at it.
Nightmare
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONApril 28, 2016
This place is a nest of toxins, unstable no job security for full time staff. Old building with lots of problems and cut backs
Pros
Wage fair
Cons
People are unkind and like to see people fail.
workplace
Household support worker (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABOctober 20, 2015
since I work in this company I learned a lot from my co worker and all the people around me, this kind of job is not easy because were dealing with seniors who had some kind of sickness like dementia, Alzheimer's and many more, but at the end of the day you will realized that this seniors needs your help. and I know myself that I did a good job. I take pride in my job and its nice to see the smiling faces of the people whom I working with. I have always my Tender Loving Care to all my residents that I'm working with.
Productive and easy going co-workers
Benefits Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioFebruary 17, 2015
Many benefits coordinators acquire their skills and expertise through on-the-job learning, such as having constant discussion with other co-workers, reading union agreements etc.
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
My favorite place of employment
Support services (Current Employee) –  Viking, ABNovember 11, 2015
Absolutely loved working with the residents. Everyday was always new and different, despite being in the same building with the same staff. I would really enjoy being able to stay in Health Services, I take a lot of pride in helping people that are in need. Just to sit with a resident and have a cup of tea to make thier whole day. I still casually pick up shifts here.
a very good place to work at.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 15, 2016
I've been enjoying my job as a Personal Support Worker since i been hired at Extendicare London. The residents are Fantastic & the staff are great as well.
One of my favorite jobs.
Head Cook, Early Aid, etc (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABOctober 6, 2012
Working for Extendicare was a great experience. A typical day at work consisted of cooking, cleaning & talking to the residents. All of my Co-Workers were delightful people & for the most part we're always helpful whenever anyone needed it. The hardest part of the job was getting close to certain residents & then having them pass, but I always did my best to brighten their days while they were still with us. To me, that was the most enjoyable part of the job, & feeling of fulfillment I got every time I was there; which is why it was so hard for me to leave.
Pros
it was right accross the street from my apartment. hourly wage & benifits were great. free breakfast, lunch & dinner. being surrounded by people that always knew how to make me smile.
Cons
being the youngest person working there, and sometimes the days would be extremely long & stressful.
Challenging
Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, ABJuly 3, 2015
Typical day at work : Ensure safety of the elderly
Engage residents to challenging activities that stimulates mental function and promotes socialization
Serve meals and ensure resident’s safety during meal time
Ask residents for their meal of choice the next morning

I have learned to work with hot headed and short tempered elders.

The management is very organize and fair.

The hardest part of the job is to put others first before yourself.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see my residents happy and contented.
Pros
Two 15-minute breaks and one 30-minute lunch break
Cons
Productive work enviroment with lots of opportunity to grow
Part Time Maintenance Man. (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 2, 2014
My typical day at work will be checking all the maintenance log books to ensure i review and repair any required maintnenance issues that were previously reported to keep a safe environment. I enjoy working in this industry as it is very multicultrial and diverse. The most difficult part of this job is making sure that all the proirity issues get resolved before the end of the shift, if i can't get this done i would always stay till they have been completed. This company doesn't like to pay overtime so this is a challenge but i never leave safety issues undone.
Pros
good salary
Cons
working with many things to be achieved in a short day
productive work place with wonderful hard working team
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 15, 2015
I love my job, I get to learn and experience something new every day it makes my job challenging while rewarding in the same time, I have wonderful team mates and a experienced understand manager, knowing every ones need which make the job challenging and meeting new residents by fulfilling there needs makes my job rewarding .
Pros
fun work place with supportive team and managment
Same as Previous
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONSeptember 27, 2015
This review is the same as the previous review I just wrote.
Extendicare Health Services was a great experience for me, I enjoyed working in the environment as well as with the clients and staff.