Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Extendicare south wood lakes Windsor ont
Psw (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONAugust 16, 2016
The worst place I've ever worked. Staff are lazy and just don't care! Management does what they want and have their own Arabic click since the new doc came in. Management lacks many many things and treats psw's like garbage. The ones who work the hardest and care the most are black balled. God forbid if you injure yourself there. Nobody believes you and management treats you terrible!! The only good thing about this facility are the residents. What a shame to work in this type of environment
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Awful management
Find another company to work for that actually has ethics
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Red DeerJuly 15, 2016
I worked as a site maintenance contractor. the work philosophy is simple: "go change the wigit over there, and good luck getting the replacement wigit or the tools to replace the thing.

You are accountable for every thing however the resolution to the problems lay with upper management. If you are too diligent in your job you will make the bosses look bad. So with my 35 plus years work experience,l say look for another company that practices what they preach at the highest levels: INTEGRITY
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Management incompetence at the highest levels
Great place to work.
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJune 28, 2016
All you have to do is be reliable , show up for your shifts and do your best and they will treat you good, The scheduling staff for casuals is awesome if you want more hours you just gotta be proactive and give them a call and not just rely on being on call , and they will put you to work. I loved it there ! I would still be there if i didnt relocate .
They are also hands down one of the best places to take your practicum . When it comes to staff and clients well being they have no time for non sense, they also wont fudge your reviews they will actually prepare for the career field
Pros
great starting pay, team work
Cons
sometimes short staffed due to l no shows
Set your limits at the start
RN (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 25, 2016
They will call you all the time for shifts even after you give them your availability.
Excellent PSW and RPNs to work with and they work very hard and often short staffed.
RN responsibilities are enough to keep you very busy.
Pros
Excellent workers overall
Cons
short staffed and lots of shifts if you want them
Busy always but relaxed and enjoy working.
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cedars Villa, CalgaryAugust 5, 2016
How to work in a big team and working with elderly populations. Supporting colleagues, supervisors and managers. Friendly work place and lots of social activities. Encouragement for higher or career progress.
Pros
Friendly and health working place
Cons
Busy always
nice place, nice people in there
HCA (Current Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABAugust 24, 2016
I learned a lot, like how should I talk and mingle with the people I look after (residents) also with co-workers. I work at night shift so the hardest part of it is you don't sleep while at work especially that I'm committed to my job. I love working with the residents and I enjoy doing my job.
Productive and fun working experience with the elderly
Household Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABApril 5, 2016
It is day to day basis kinda of work for the seniors home, learning lots of experience each of them. To know their needs for the day and give their satisfactions. Should maintain the consistent manner is very important. Should have team work with the co-workers to make the day run easily. The hardest part of the job is how you handle constantly your patient at all times and should be there all the time. And the most enjoyable part of the job is when you earned the hardship you provide to them.
Stressful environment
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 2, 2016
The most selfish organization to work for.. No matter how hard you work to bring stuff up to standard that was not there before, one is not acknowledged or appreciated for it.
The only good thing I have gotten from working for this organization are the work relationships I have built.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Not appriciated, low moral, Over worked
Has a pretty good activities department
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 1, 2016
Managment is terrible. Abuse is swept under the rug. Bullying is rampid amongst staff. Accomidations can be made for meals or special diet considerations.
A fast pace environment
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, OnSeptember 10, 2016
Hardest part of the job is being on your feet, not being able to slow down and managing time between residents and required computer work.
Pros
shift goes quick
Cons
only 30 min breaks
productive and great working environment
Student persanl support worker (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 26, 2016
Excellent work environment with team and independent work. Loved working with the other nurses and with the clients. every day was eventful. and there was always something to do.
Extendicare Review
PSW/RPN (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONMay 18, 2016
I didn't personally enjoy working at this home, as a PSW due to the type of treatment you get from other staff. Yet I enjoyed when I got my few RPN shifts and I was told by management that I was good at it.
serious but yet still a fun place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Viking, ABFebruary 17, 2016
typical day started out with staff meeting in the morning you find out what's going on with the patients, staff, the building, what to do, not to do, and extra things that could get done if you had free time
I learned to manage my time efficiently threw out the workplace
the best time I would have at work would be when I was all done all my duties and I would help out the recreation staff and just have some fun with the patients.
Some people think that whatever its just a job you do what you got to do and get out but I never thought its just a job you sometimes really connect with the patients, cleaning staff, care aid or whatever kind of staff you are it happens and the hardest part about working in this kind of area is when you lose a patient. To come into work and hear this person passed away, definitely put a damper on the day and was definitely the HARDEST part about the job.
Pros
connecting with the people
Cons
some of the messes i had to clean
Extendicare
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 22, 2016
It takes years to get a full time job, people always call in sick and they call you in constantly and everyone talks behind your back
Nightmare
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONApril 28, 2016
This place is a nest of toxins, unstable no job security for full time staff. Old building with lots of problems and cut backs
Pros
Wage fair
Cons
People are unkind and like to see people fail.
....
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ONJune 20, 2016
Great place to work for! Nice new building, great staff and awesome residents! Love helping people and making them smile!
working with people
Nursing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 3, 2016
high paced
how to deal with challenging situations
poor management
few team players

families and residents were the best about the job
Pros
good hours
Cons
poor management
Horrible people
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 11, 2016
A building full of gossiping wlder abusers. Management uses and abuses you and then throws you away. No chance of working happily here.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Terrible place
My favorite place of employment
Support services (Current Employee) –  Viking, ABNovember 11, 2015
Absolutely loved working with the residents. Everyday was always new and different, despite being in the same building with the same staff. I would really enjoy being able to stay in Health Services, I take a lot of pride in helping people that are in need. Just to sit with a resident and have a cup of tea to make thier whole day. I still casually pick up shifts here.
workplace
Household support worker (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABOctober 20, 2015
since I work in this company I learned a lot from my co worker and all the people around me, this kind of job is not easy because were dealing with seniors who had some kind of sickness like dementia, Alzheimer's and many more, but at the end of the day you will realized that this seniors needs your help. and I know myself that I did a good job. I take pride in my job and its nice to see the smiling faces of the people whom I working with. I have always my Tender Loving Care to all my residents that I'm working with.

2.8