Extendicare Health Services, Inc.

Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Terrible cheap company with no integrity
Dietary Cook/Supervisor (Former Employee), TorontoApril 28, 2013
Pros: i'm not there anymore
Cons: everything else
This was the most APALLING company I have ever been employed with. An absolute lack of concern for residents safety and dietary concerns. NEVER enough product on hand for the cooks to properly prepare meals for all residents. You are regularly left to figure out how to make 3lbs of food stretch to feed 200 residents. Residents on texture modified diets fed whatever junk is leftover because once its ground or pureed no one can tell anyway. Leftover food saved and re-packaged and sold as fresh for Meals on Wheels clients. Unsafe storage of food. Equipment not maintained properly.

Employees expected to start early and work through most breaks because the workload is so intense you couldn't possibly complete the expectations while taking normal breaks and lunch. Vietnamese factory kids have better working conditions.

Management just concerned with "covering their own butts" even when you bring up serious safety concerns. They are just a bottom-line driven company that should be absolutely ASHAMED of their operating standards and how they treat their residents. Union is equally useless. Happy to take your dues every cheque but unwilling to take a firm stand on anything else.

Do not risk your trade qualifications, professionalism or conscience on this company. And do not EVER consider admitting anyone you love into an Extendicare owned or managed home.

Extendicare....You know what you are doing...I know what you are doing and the Ministry of Health and Long term care will know what you are doing. I am exercising my "Duty to Report". And to all the mid-managers upwards in the company...I – more... wish for you in your "golden years" the same kind of care and nourishment that you currently feel is appropriate for your residents. – less
My Extendicare Dietary Aide Review
Food service Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 21, 2014
Pros: i can walk to extendicare in under a 5 minutes and extendicare has a very friendly environment.
Cons: some co-workers and residents are hard to deal with.
At Extendicare a typical day at work is helping my partner set up the dining table, setting up the nourishment cart, serving food to the residents, cleaning and sanitizing the dining table and then cleaning and washing the dishes. Sometimes I carry boxes of food to storage rooms and freezers and prepare the food.
At Extendicare I've learned many skills like using different equipment (big blenders, ovens, etc.,) managing my time and how to work well with co-workers.
My manager was very friendly and understanding and handled any situation in a calm manner.
I've made many good friends at Extendicare and even though some of weren't good team players we've all learned to get along.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with some difficult co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job was making friends with my co-workers and all of the residents.
At the end of the day I am always satisfied with how I helped the residents in a friendly manner and I would definitely recommend this nursing home for somebody looking for a safe and friendly home.
was like your basic Extendicare
Nurses AID (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABJanuary 12, 2015
a typical day at work was finding out what and who you would be working with for the day , and would always start of going to report, before anything else, this is where they let you know what was going on for the day, and what client needed certain or special care , this is also where you were assigned certain clients for the day , so you new who your clients were and who you would be working with , you always worked with different people some had good work ethics ,and some not so good, but no matter what you . did your job and never complained often , i learned to stay focused and be a team player ,and always cooperate when needed , i would say the hardest part of the job was when i was bath aid as we only had so much time to get our clients in the tub and out and cleaned up and weighed , as i had many, i always felt rushed for time but would do my best to make sure i got done in the required time that we had, and that my clients care was met, the most enjoyable i would say was just seeing my clients on a daily basis, and when they would be happy to see me , or when a client took ill would recover ,i also enjoyed working with some of the staff as we worked well together and had a few laugh es together as well .
You really don't want to work here!
Staff nurse (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMarch 25, 2013
Pros: location.
Cons: see above.
Terrible place for staff and residents!
Overworked PSW's who are responsible for the care of upwards of 13 clients. Management refused to allow staff to wear lighter summer clothing until two PSW's had fainted from the humidity.
Pay is only good due to Union presence, and this company tried to force its staff into a pay freeze despite a great profit margin. This company allowed several situations in which clients relatives bullied the staff, threatening to have them fired, allowing them to gossip amongst staff and other residents about staff and residents, every single day.
Management turnover on the high side. In two years they had to replace both the DOC and the ADOC, and the staff educator, all of whom were replaced by RN's with little to no experience on the units themselves, so therefore no practical knowledge.
Pay cheques were often wrong, scheduling was poor due to lack of communication and they refused to pay a staff member her back pay when she realized she had been under-paid for approximately a year.
Union is not interested in fighting for anyone, too friendly with management.
love working with elderly
PSW (Former Employee), LondonFebruary 25, 2014
t
• Assisted patients with the activities of daily living
• Responded to call bells and accessed appropriate person to meet
patient needs
• Assisted patients with practicing and actualizing newly acquired skills
• Portered, lifted and transferred residents
• Notified clinical staff of changes in residents conditions
• Functioned as a team member to support patients in achieving goals
• Demonstrated effective patient focused communication with
patients/residents, families and team member
• Perform household management duties as assigned
• Report unsafe conditions in the residents home
• Participate in the service plan and report changes as needed to update residents condition
• Adapt and respond to residents requirements and wishes while working
within the established service plan
• Write and submit client reports according to established procedure Work with residents with behavior challenges, with dementia and Alzheimer’s
Beware of Working Here Especially Registered Staff
Past Employee (Former Employee), Prescott OntarioApril 17, 2013
Pros: staff and residents
Cons: long hours
Chaotic and disorganized. Management has changed many times over past 2 years and people with little or no experience have been in charge of facility in the past. Management not supportive of staff and a great deal of staff turnover has occurred within past year. Grossly understaffed especially registered staff. In order to complete work you must stay overtime almost every day. Work most shifts with no break for the shift. Unrealistic expectations of staff regarding resident care and time frames for completion of work. Not enough staff to provide safe and competent care. Calls can go unanswered for 10- 15 minutes at some times. Registered staff are putting their license in jeopardy working here and most do not stay more than a few months.
Staff do the best they can with what they have to work with. Supplies are frequently not available for resident care.
One of my favorite jobs.
Head Cook, Early Aid, etc (Former Employee), Leduc, ABOctober 6, 2012
Pros: it was right accross the street from my apartment. hourly wage & benifits were great. free breakfast, lunch & dinner. being surrounded by people that always knew how to make me smile.
Cons: being the youngest person working there, and sometimes the days would be extremely long & stressful.
Working for Extendicare was a great experience. A typical day at work consisted of cooking, cleaning & talking to the residents. All of my Co-Workers were delightful people & for the most part we're always helpful whenever anyone needed it. The hardest part of the job was getting close to certain residents & then having them pass, but I always did my best to brighten their days while they were still with us. To me, that was the most enjoyable part of the job, & feeling of fulfillment I got every time I was there; which is why it was so hard for me to leave.
Rewarding
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Kirkland Lake, ONAugust 9, 2012
Pros: welcoming in environment, friendly staff
Cons: seeing residents health decline
I would start a 7 am listen to report from the night shift R.N. Then with my partner we would work together to get the resident washed and dressed for breakfast, bring them to the dinning room, serve the meal , assist with feeding , clear the dishes , bath residents according to the bath schedule for that day, serve lunch, clean up, encourage residents to get involved in activities that were offered.
-I learned time management skills, working as team member.
-I had amazing co-workers, caring hard working and fun to work with.
-Not having as much time to spend with each resident as I would like, working short staffed a lot of the time
-Rewarding to see the changes we make in the residents lives, seeing them accomplish tasks they thought they could not do.
My experience at Extendicare
Cook and Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Tecumseh, ONDecember 10, 2013
Pros: cooking
Cons: getting attached to some of the residance and them passing away.
First off I would just like to say I enjoyed working for Extendicare. The people I worked with were great and got along very well. I didn't however learn many new things but grew stronger in skill as I went along. Example broadening my inventory and stock skills, higher communication skills, and how to execute good quality food on time and organized. I also worked as much as I could. Although I was full time I still took on the responsibility of staying overtime. The most enjoyable part of my experience working for Estendicare was the people I worked for (the residence) that lived there and I did what my passion is which is cooking.
Productive work enviroment with lots of opportunity to grow
Part Time Maintenance Man. (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: good salary
Cons: working with many things to be achieved in a short day
My typical day at work will be checking all the maintenance log books to ensure i review and repair any required maintnenance issues that were previously reported to keep a safe environment. I enjoy working in this industry as it is very multicultrial and diverse. The most difficult part of this job is making sure that all the proirity issues get resolved before the end of the shift, if i can't get this done i would always stay till they have been completed. This company doesn't like to pay overtime so this is a challenge but i never leave safety issues undone.
Working as a team player
DIETARY AIDE (Former Employee), Lakefield, ONFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: attending courses to learn more eg: zero tolerance policies for abuse
Cons: very physically demanding job, it is all about the residents and making sure they are happy and comfortable
Serving residents food and beverages according to diet
Learning what residents like and dislike
Management and co-workers are very kind and helpful
Hardest part of my job is a resident passing away, especially if you have become attached to them
Most enjoyable part of my job is learning about the residents, and being able to get to know them as a person and learn interesting stories of their earlier job occupations, family members, working as a team with co-workers
Resident oriented and staff building
Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee), London, ONJune 11, 2015
Extendicare London offers a wonderful learning experience to new staff. The Staff makes you feel welcome and they are very receptive to your queries and answer questions as able or they point you in the right direction.

The inside and outside environs are very clean and you can see that the staff take pride in the services they offer to these Residents.

The hardest part of my job is losing one of the Residents when you have developed a professional relationship with.

I take each day as a learning experience and go home to reflect on what I have done and whether I made a difference today
Challenging
Recreation Aide (Former Employee), St. Paul, ABJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Two 15-minute breaks and one 30-minute lunch break
Cons: Nothing
Typical day at work : Ensure safety of the elderly
Engage residents to challenging activities that stimulates mental function and promotes socialization
Serve meals and ensure resident’s safety during meal time
Ask residents for their meal of choice the next morning

I have learned to work with hot headed and short tempered elders.

The management is very organize and fair.

The hardest part of the job is to put others first before yourself.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see my residents happy and contented.
fun place to work with helping people wherever needed
Volunteer (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONSeptember 4, 2014
I was responsible for painting nails of the elder women. I learned a lot about different cultures from the people that work there and also the elders. The management was sloppy at times but overall they came out with very successful events. My co-workers were very respectful and extremely nice at all times, which I enjoyed. The hardest part of the job was the beginning because I was extremely shy, but i got into the job quickly and loved it. The most enjoyable part of the job was bringing new ideas to the table and expanding the company.
Horrible experience
Recreational Assistant (Former Employee), Georgetown, ONApril 29, 2014
Pros: the residents
Cons: long hours, weekends, missed breaks, no communication
I have only ever worked at one Extendicare, so this review is not for every single one. I worked at the one situated in Halton Hills, border of Georgetown/Acton. The management there was horrible - they never communicate important information to you but then get angry when you are not informed (ex. residents in isolation, outbreak, residents passing away). There is also a lot of favoritism here - you will never advance if you don't kiss ___.
workplace
Household support worker (Current Employee), Red Deer, ABOctober 20, 2015
since I work in this company I learned a lot from my co worker and all the people around me, this kind of job is not easy because were dealing with seniors who had some kind of sickness like dementia, Alzheimer's and many more, but at the end of the day you will realized that this seniors needs your help. and I know myself that I did a good job. I take pride in my job and its nice to see the smiling faces of the people whom I working with. I have always my Tender Loving Care to all my residents that I'm working with.
Benefits
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), Winnipeg ,ManitobaOctober 19, 2012
Pros: enough time break
Cons: no team work
I enjoyed going to work because I had a friendly environment maybe because I can get along well with my co workers.Being a past faced environment I learned the value of time management and work load organization.The hardest part of the job is that when your working under pressure and theres no teamwork among the workers but the most enjoyable part of the job is getting along with the people thats around you.I love working in the customer service.
Very productive, educational and challenging but loving environment. Fast pace!
Staff Nurse - Early Dementia Unit (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 19, 2012
Pros: freedom to make decisions if needed. free coffee!
Cons: long hours yes.
The management is absolutely supportive. I learned and developed many skills I thought I never had. My self confidence is 90% better than before. I love working with my co-workers and love the residents. I couldn't complain and can't say any negative comments about this company because I got so much in return.
Great expierence , wonderful people & residents
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), St. Catharines ONApril 23, 2014
I really enjoyed my time at Extendicare long term care, most co workers were great to be around and of coarse all the residents.
I learned what it's like to be in a long term care setting & I got to work with many different disabilities & illness's. I learned how to handle different situations, and of coarse the ropes of providing care to residents in the long term care facility.
Example ;
Make beds
AM/PM care
Feeding
productive work place with wonderful hard working team
Dietary Aide (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 15, 2015
Pros: fun work place with supportive team and managment
I love my job, I get to learn and experience something new every day it makes my job challenging while rewarding in the same time, I have wonderful team mates and a experienced understand manager, knowing every ones need which make the job challenging and meeting new residents by fulfilling there needs makes my job rewarding .
Headquarters