Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great
Services (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 May 2017
I enjoy working at Extendicare.
It is a multi-cultral environment, very welcoming, warm and accepting.
I have learned a great deal during my time here.
Productive and fun
Health support worker (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB14 May 2017
I'm having fun to work with the staff and client.with the staff we're working as a teammates helping each other , share techniques according to the rules.
Pros
Casual
Cons
Position
Activity aide leading group and 1:1 programs
Activity Aide (Current Employee) –  Haliburton, ON7 May 2017
I enjoyed leading group programs but what I valued most was the 1:1 time I got to spend with each resident. Time in between group programs aloud me to do so. I grew as a person, being a leader pushed me out of my comfort zone and gave me a sence of confidence. My manager was excellent. She was very flexible and encouraging any ideas I had. What I didn't enjoy was working for a union and getting jobs taken from me by people who were not the best person for the job but had more hours then me. The job should go to the best person for the job.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Evening and weekend shifts
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  260 sunset DR29 April 2017
We try to talk to seniors and read with them listen to their interesting life stories taking care of them also being able to talk politely so they feel comfortable to get to know us.
Volunteer
Volunteer helper (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON19 April 2017
Volunteering was fun, made new friends, was able to help out those that served our country. the staffs are amazing people, they really try their best to make you socially active with others for a great time. they also hosting many events that took outside the faculty.
great place to work
Housekeeping Staff (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 April 2017
management is fantastic ! very relaxing enviornment to work in. i would not hesitate to recommend this company to anyone. the cleanliness of the building is immaculate.
Working and enjoying the elderly!
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON11 April 2017
Is trying to keep up and keep organized and get all your work done to get out at a resonable time! I learned everyone is not fair and there is some teamwork. But some staff do not like to work together! Some staff do not like to work period. I liked working with most of the staff there and got along with everyone. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the elderly. I look forward to going to work to be there for them! They make my day! Management on the whole are very good and fair for the most part. But I feel they need to listen to the staff more about what is going on, on the floor! So they can fix the problems! They need to actually work the floor themselves to see what is going on! They can't just sit n the office and assume they know what is going on. Every place of work is different! Even if they did work on the floor somewhere else. It is different than working here! Everyone thinks residents sleep all night! This is not the case at all!
Worst place I ever worked
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 April 2017
Very cliquey place to work, with toxic management. They were all cozy with each other, yet seemed to hate the staff. Most horrible feeling to perform under. Most staff seemed terrified of the bosses & I understand why.

Also, reported safety issues were treated by mgmt as if they were trivial personal complaints, rather than concern for the residents. I have told my kids that if I ever need to be put in a nursing home in my later years absolutely DO NOT ever put me in Extendicare.
Pros
None, not even union - which is useless
Fast paced enviornment
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON1 April 2017
Working at Extendicare is for the most part wonderful.
my wish would be that all workers could have the same mentality when caring for patients. these are humans, and they deserve the very best, we should not treat this kind of work as factory work, rather give the most love caring and compassion we cn fo rour 8 hours we get to spend with the residents.
Pros
great work load
Cons
no hours
Amazing
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB29 March 2017
Amazing amazing amazing just a great company to work for great hours only thing is they don't have enough staff to make your day to day easier when someone calls in
Pros
the clients
Cons
not enough staff
Great plae
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Mayerthorpe, AB9 March 2017
wonderful staff and bosses. night shift was great with the ladies. discounted food that comes off your check. residents were wonderful. great place all together.
High Pace, High stress environment
Director of Care Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 March 2017
A typical day is usually very busy. Answering staff enquirers, answering phones and family questions. The hardest part of my job is that, I feel as though it could be a two person job. I feel like I don`t have much support to do the best job that I can do. The most enjoyable part of my day is seeing all the residents and interacting with them and their families.
Worst place ever
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton28 February 2017
Staff is beyond rude no one helps each other out and everyone has attitude the minute you ask a question....I would never work there ever again and the food there smells horrible.....it's beyond depressing
Review
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Athabasca, AB27 February 2017
Not the best work environment,short staffed often stressful. Often work hours are much longer than your shift. Many bosses, no workers. Do not seem to value staff
Pros
residents
Cons
bad enviroment
Love working here
LTC, Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Lakefield, ON25 February 2017
I am lucky to work with such wonderful staff.

Everyone is kind and helpful. You have trying days and amazing days, the best part of the day is making a difference and working with great staff.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
not enough time with residents
A day at Extendicare fortmacloed
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Fort Macleod, AB23 February 2017
I worked pretty weird hours, one shift would be from 7 till 11:30 and the other shift would be from 3:30 till 7:30. I rarely worked both shifts in one day. I really liked working there, helping the cook get ready for the meals and cleaning up from the meals. I lived quite far away from the job so the hardest part would be getting up at 6 to be at work on time!!!
summer job
Recreation Attendant Certified (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK22 February 2017
Worked here a while ago under a different boss. It was only a summer job but I enjoyed it. Good pay but not alot of hours. I wouldnt mind working here again.
If you want an ulcer, work here.
HCA (Former Employee) –  Viking, AB11 February 2017
There is no consistency to anything in this facility. Some staff are worked to death while others have the ear of the administration and get away with no showing and time off for every paper cut with no consequences. Decent staff leave regularly because of daily state of emergency, lack of communication from the top and no consequences to deplorable work habits. Turn a blind eye is the motto here.

"Leadership team" is only there to get in lieu time off, do personal business ie: make husbands Birthday invitations. Talk about weekends and drink at each other's houses.
When residents weren't getting break fast until late morning, leadership team would walk through the dining room to staff room to get their coffees while residents had none. And refused to help feed residents as they had more important things to do.
Pros
Best pay in town
Cons
Every hour of the day
Not the greatest company to work for
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  North York, ON10 February 2017
This is the worst company to work for. The staff are treated with no respect and the residents are treated like money signs.....the more residents ,the more government funding for this private nursing home.
The hardest part of this job was dealing with management, They have no regard or respect for Persosnal support workers.
Pros
no pros to this company
Cons
heavy work load, not enough staff on duty.
Friendly staff
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2017
As a casual staff my typical day varies depending on the unit. However most days are busy. I start by assessing ill residents to passing meds. Then I do wound dressing, notify MD if concerned about any resident, process orders. Importantly try to observe my breaks where I get to chat with colleagues/ staff.
Pros
Programm manager always on the facility to assisst
Cons
some days working over time without pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extendicare Health Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9