Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great plae
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Mayerthorpe, AB9 March 2017
wonderful staff and bosses. night shift was great with the ladies. discounted food that comes off your check. residents were wonderful. great place all together.
High Pace, High stress environment
Director of Care Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 March 2017
A typical day is usually very busy. Answering staff enquirers, answering phones and family questions. The hardest part of my job is that, I feel as though it could be a two person job. I feel like I don`t have much support to do the best job that I can do. The most enjoyable part of my day is seeing all the residents and interacting with them and their families.
Worst place ever
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton28 February 2017
Staff is beyond rude no one helps each other out and everyone has attitude the minute you ask a question....I would never work there ever again and the food there smells horrible.....it's beyond depressing
Review
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Athabasca, AB27 February 2017
Not the best work environment,short staffed often stressful. Often work hours are much longer than your shift. Many bosses, no workers. Do not seem to value staff
Pros
residents
Cons
bad enviroment
Love working here
LTC, Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Lakefield, ON25 February 2017
I am lucky to work with such wonderful staff.

Everyone is kind and helpful. You have trying days and amazing days, the best part of the day is making a difference and working with great staff.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
not enough time with residents
A day at Extendicare fortmacloed
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Fort Macleod, AB23 February 2017
I worked pretty weird hours, one shift would be from 7 till 11:30 and the other shift would be from 3:30 till 7:30. I rarely worked both shifts in one day. I really liked working there, helping the cook get ready for the meals and cleaning up from the meals. I lived quite far away from the job so the hardest part would be getting up at 6 to be at work on time!!!
summer job
Recreation Attendant Certified (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK22 February 2017
Worked here a while ago under a different boss. It was only a summer job but I enjoyed it. Good pay but not alot of hours. I wouldnt mind working here again.
If you want an ulcer, work here.
HCA (Former Employee) –  Viking, AB11 February 2017
There is no consistency to anything in this facility. Some staff are worked to death while others have the ear of the administration and get away with no showing and time off for every paper cut with no consequences. Decent staff leave regularly because of daily state of emergency, lack of communication from the top and no consequences to deplorable work habits. Turn a blind eye is the motto here.

"Leadership team" is only there to get in lieu time off, do personal business ie: make husbands Birthday invitations. Talk about weekends and drink at each other's houses.
When residents weren't getting break fast until late morning, leadership team would walk through the dining room to staff room to get their coffees while residents had none. And refused to help feed residents as they had more important things to do.
Pros
Best pay in town
Cons
Every hour of the day
Not the greatest company to work for
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  North York, ON10 February 2017
This is the worst company to work for. The staff are treated with no respect and the residents are treated like money signs.....the more residents ,the more government funding for this private nursing home.
The hardest part of this job was dealing with management, They have no regard or respect for Persosnal support workers.
Pros
no pros to this company
Cons
heavy work load, not enough staff on duty.
Friendly staff
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2017
As a casual staff my typical day varies depending on the unit. However most days are busy. I start by assessing ill residents to passing meds. Then I do wound dressing, notify MD if concerned about any resident, process orders. Importantly try to observe my breaks where I get to chat with colleagues/ staff.
Pros
Programm manager always on the facility to assisst
Cons
some days working over time without pay
Lack of communication
Cook (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON8 February 2017
Poor communication between general manager and leadership team. Also constantly told to do additional tasks not related to job duties which should not be required of kitchen staff. No life / work balance as explained.
Biggest disappointment was lack of communication.
respectful work place
PSW (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 January 2017
lots of work respectful good co workers
mornings are the busy
friendly getting people up to lunch dinner breakfast days off are relaxing
Pros
christmas party
Good experience
Personal Support Worker Field Placement (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON10 January 2017
A good place for practical experiences of the internship or placement works after completing the health worker course from the collage.

Also good place for volunteering works.
excellent work atmosphere..friendly staff.
LPN (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 November 2016
Extendicare eaux claires is one of the best LTC's in Edmonton. Being a part of this big family is full of ooportunities to learn more skills. However,advancement in technology in extendicare is a little bit behind when you compare some other Healthcare giants in Canada.
I am 100% satisfied with their in service education opportunities such as Itacit.com. I am a happy staff, even if I don't get enough shifts.
Pros
In service education opportunities
Cons
Use of technology
Safe workplace
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON10 November 2016
Nice place to work residents and staff. Management is approachable and staff as well. It is more organized than any other home I've previously worked at.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Early Shifts
working with elderly
Health Care Aid (Current Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ON26 September 2016
the knowledge I am gaining in working with the elderly in their "last chapter" is immensely satisfying. I have a great respect for all patients and treat them the way I would like to be treated; with respect, compassion and knowledge. My colleagues are as thoughtful and this makes the atmosphere even better for our patients. The most difficult part of my job I must admit is losing my patients, although very difficult, just the fact that I can make their lives better and as comfortable as possible, is the main reason I work in the field!
Pros
close to home
Cons
not permanent
Good Company to work.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2016
A very nice company to work for looking after the welfare of customers and employees. Remarkable management that promotes dignity of workers. Co-workers know how to work as a team and always willing to help each other.
Pros
Reasoable salary
Cons
Set your limits at the start
RN (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 September 2016
They will call you all the time for shifts even after you give them your availability.
Excellent PSW and RPNs to work with and they work very hard and often short staffed.
RN responsibilities are enough to keep you very busy.
Pros
Excellent workers overall
Cons
short staffed and lots of shifts if you want them
A fast pace environment
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, On10 September 2016
Hardest part of the job is being on your feet, not being able to slow down and managing time between residents and required computer work.
Pros
shift goes quick
Cons
only 30 min breaks
Has a pretty good activities department
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 September 2016
Managment is terrible. Abuse is swept under the rug. Bullying is rampid amongst staff. Accomidations can be made for meals or special diet considerations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extendicare Health Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8