Extendicare Health Services, Inc.

Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Good Company to work.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2016
A very nice company to work for looking after the welfare of customers and employees. Remarkable management that promotes dignity of workers. Co-workers know how to work as a team and always willing to help each other.
Pros
Reasoable salary
Cons
excellent work atmosphere..friendly staff.
LPN (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 November 2016
Extendicare eaux claires is one of the best LTC's in Edmonton. Being a part of this big family is full of ooportunities to learn more skills. However,advancement in technology in extendicare is a little bit behind when you compare some other Healthcare giants in Canada.
I am 100% satisfied with their in service education opportunities such as Itacit.com. I am a happy staff, even if I don't get enough shifts.
Pros
In service education opportunities
Cons
Use of technology
Great place to work.
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 June 2016
All you have to do is be reliable , show up for your shifts and do your best and they will treat you good, The scheduling staff for casuals is awesome if you want more hours you just gotta be proactive and give them a call and not just rely on being on call , and they will put you to work. I loved it there ! I would still be there if i didnt relocate .
They are also hands down one of the best places to take your practicum . When it comes to staff and clients well being they have no time for non sense, they also wont fudge your reviews they will actually prepare for the career field
Pros
great starting pay, team work
Cons
sometimes short staffed due to l no shows
Extendicare south wood lakes Windsor ont
Psw (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON16 August 2016
The worst place I've ever worked. Staff are lazy and just don't care! Management does what they want and have their own Arabic click since the new doc came in. Management lacks many many things and treats psw's like garbage. The ones who work the hardest and care the most are black balled. God forbid if you injure yourself there. Nobody believes you and management treats you terrible!! The only good thing about this facility are the residents. What a shame to work in this type of environment
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Awful management
Find another company to work for that actually has ethics
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer15 July 2016
I worked as a site maintenance contractor. the work philosophy is simple: "go change the wigit over there, and good luck getting the replacement wigit or the tools to replace the thing.

You are accountable for every thing however the resolution to the problems lay with upper management. If you are too diligent in your job you will make the bosses look bad. So with my 35 plus years work experience,l say look for another company that practices what they preach at the highest levels: INTEGRITY
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Management incompetence at the highest levels
working with elderly
Health Care Aid (Current Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ON26 September 2016
the knowledge I am gaining in working with the elderly in their "last chapter" is immensely satisfying. I have a great respect for all patients and treat them the way I would like to be treated; with respect, compassion and knowledge. My colleagues are as thoughtful and this makes the atmosphere even better for our patients. The most difficult part of my job I must admit is losing my patients, although very difficult, just the fact that I can make their lives better and as comfortable as possible, is the main reason I work in the field!
Pros
close to home
Cons
not permanent
Busy always but relaxed and enjoy working.
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cedars Villa, Calgary5 August 2016
How to work in a big team and working with elderly populations. Supporting colleagues, supervisors and managers. Friendly work place and lots of social activities. Encouragement for higher or career progress.
Pros
Friendly and health working place
Cons
Busy always
Set your limits at the start
RN (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 September 2016
They will call you all the time for shifts even after you give them your availability.
Excellent PSW and RPNs to work with and they work very hard and often short staffed.
RN responsibilities are enough to keep you very busy.
Pros
Excellent workers overall
Cons
short staffed and lots of shifts if you want them
A good transition from public/food industry jobs to health care setting
Cook/Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2016
I have worked in many jobs where employers have questionable work ethics and will be hard to enforce fair employee policies especially with no union. This is a huge step-up as I feel secure in doing my work duties safely and that more opportunities of a concrete professional employer-employee relationship with clear policies and standards. Great work ethics and growth can be recognized with the knowledge and application of the employee handbook and company policies. The workplace can always be improved as most workers who have been there for a very long time can be resisting to changes of work flow and system, technology and policies. The resistance of change can dampen the workplace in an archaic and one-dimensional environment.
My job entails fast-paced and efficient multi-tasking duties. It is time constrained, must be able to work independently and prioritize daily duties. It can be very stressful but the result/end-of-the-day can be very rewarding as cooking quality food for an older generation while practicing and challenging work ethics can feel immensely gratifying.
One big problem being faced now is working full-time hours with no benefits as a casual worker for more than 3 years. Because I work casual I feel overwhelmed when pulling night then morning then double shifts with short notices for months at times. Great money but personal life has suffered. Comes with most jobs these days and this is one them. I have built trust and dependability towards my employers and employees that I feel has not been recognized, as of yet.
One of the greatest job opportunities and
  more... experience but I recently feel the need to look for companies to gain more experience, growth and recognition.  less
Pros
- clear and concise policies that can be effectively applied with knowledge
Cons
- growth, and experience seems limited when starting small (bottom of seniority) especially if co-workers, and management doesn't foster new, innovative change; not adaptable
Safe workplace
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON10 November 2016
Nice place to work residents and staff. Management is approachable and staff as well. It is more organized than any other home I've previously worked at.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Early Shifts
nice place, nice people in there
HCA (Current Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB24 August 2016
I learned a lot, like how should I talk and mingle with the people I look after (residents) also with co-workers. I work at night shift so the hardest part of it is you don't sleep while at work especially that I'm committed to my job. I love working with the residents and I enjoy doing my job.
A fast pace environment
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, On10 September 2016
Hardest part of the job is being on your feet, not being able to slow down and managing time between residents and required computer work.
Pros
shift goes quick
Cons
only 30 min breaks
Has a pretty good activities department
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 September 2016
Managment is terrible. Abuse is swept under the rug. Bullying is rampid amongst staff. Accomidations can be made for meals or special diet considerations.
ultilize my skills and education in a quality focused organization
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON15 June 2016
worked night shift...11 -7 am...was great and demanding as night shift is not largely staffed. however whenever a curve ball was thrown at me like an employee didn't show up i would stay after work to catch up on the work that still needs to be done.
the best part of the day is helping people who have no one else that can help them out except for the PSW the fact that I am, there is a a great moral there.
I like to stay connected to my teams too...whether that be on the floor PSW or my Supervisor and or the other D.O.C.s and consistently be on time for work and set a schedule for myself so that all tasks are completed and proper.
look at task binder every shift , and sign that the task has been performed and inspection is thorough of all tasks in PSW task binders usually everyday there is a different tastks, while some tasks remain constant through out the time period.
perform delegated tasks ( ie: perform 25 brief changes and re position and record all observations for 25 clients in a palliative setting. Communicate using appropriate form of communication,ie: PSW ;on floor communicate with a walkies talkie. for two person (two PSWs) assistance such as a lift for toileting.
use appropriate language style for each different level of the members that make up the organisation consistence.
Productive and fun working experience with the elderly
Household Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 April 2016
It is day to day basis kinda of work for the seniors home, learning lots of experience each of them. To know their needs for the day and give their satisfactions. Should maintain the consistent manner is very important. Should have team work with the co-workers to make the day run easily. The hardest part of the job is how you handle constantly your patient at all times and should be there all the time. And the most enjoyable part of the job is when you earned the hardship you provide to them.
Extendicare Review
PSW/RPN (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON18 May 2016
I didn't personally enjoy working at this home, as a PSW due to the type of treatment you get from other staff. Yet I enjoyed when I got my few RPN shifts and I was told by management that I was good at it.
Nightmare
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON28 April 2016
This place is a nest of toxins, unstable no job security for full time staff. Old building with lots of problems and cut backs
Pros
Wage fair
Cons
People are unkind and like to see people fail.
serious but yet still a fun place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Viking, AB17 February 2016
typical day started out with staff meeting in the morning you find out what's going on with the patients, staff, the building, what to do, not to do, and extra things that could get done if you had free time
I learned to manage my time efficiently threw out the workplace
the best time I would have at work would be when I was all done all my duties and I would help out the recreation staff and just have some fun with the patients.
Some people think that whatever its just a job you do what you got to do and get out but I never thought its just a job you sometimes really connect with the patients, cleaning staff, care aid or whatever kind of staff you are it happens and the hardest part about working in this kind of area is when you lose a patient. To come into work and hear this person passed away, definitely put a damper on the day and was definitely the HARDEST part about the job.
Pros
connecting with the people
Cons
some of the messes i had to clean
One of my favorite jobs.
Head Cook, Early Aid, etc (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB6 October 2012
Working for Extendicare was a great experience. A typical day at work consisted of cooking, cleaning & talking to the residents. All of my Co-Workers were delightful people & for the most part we're always helpful whenever anyone needed it. The hardest part of the job was getting close to certain residents & then having them pass, but I always did my best to brighten their days while they were still with us. To me, that was the most enjoyable part of the job, & feeling of fulfillment I got every time I was there; which is why it was so hard for me to leave.
Pros
it was right accross the street from my apartment. hourly wage & benifits were great. free breakfast, lunch & dinner. being surrounded by people that always knew how to make me smile.
Cons
being the youngest person working there, and sometimes the days would be extremely long & stressful.
Stressful environment
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 May 2016
The most selfish organization to work for.. No matter how hard you work to bring stuff up to standard that was not there before, one is not acknowledged or appreciated for it.
The only good thing I have gotten from working for this organization are the work relationships I have built.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Not appriciated, low moral, Over worked

2.8