Extendicare Health Services, Inc.

Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Working as a team player
DIETARY AIDE (Former Employee), Lakefield, ONFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: attending courses to learn more eg: zero tolerance policies for abuse
Cons: very physically demanding job, it is all about the residents and making sure they are happy and comfortable
Serving residents food and beverages according to diet
Learning what residents like and dislike
Management and co-workers are very kind and helpful
Hardest part of my job is a resident passing away, especially if you have become attached to them
Most enjoyable part of my job is learning about the residents, and being able to get to know them as a person – more... and learn interesting stories of their earlier job occupations, family members, working as a team with co-workers – less
Productive work enviroment with lots of opportunity to grow
Part Time Maintenance Man. (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: good salary
Cons: working with many things to be achieved in a short day
My typical day at work will be checking all the maintenance log books to ensure i review and repair any required maintnenance issues that were previously reported to keep a safe environment. I enjoy working in this industry as it is very multicultrial and diverse. The most difficult part of this job is making sure that all the proirity issues get resolved – more... before the end of the shift, if i can't get this done i would always stay till they have been completed. This company doesn't like to pay overtime so this is a challenge but i never leave safety issues undone. – less
I like People
Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Tecumseh, ONJanuary 25, 2014
I like helping people. I went back to school so I could work with the elderly because of this job.
My experience at Extendicare
Cook and Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Tecumseh, ONDecember 10, 2013
Pros: cooking
Cons: getting attached to some of the residance and them passing away.
First off I would just like to say I enjoyed working for Extendicare. The people I worked with were great and got along very well. I didn't however learn many new things but grew stronger in skill as I went along. Example broadening my inventory and stock skills, higher communication skills, and how to execute good quality food on time and organized. – more... I also worked as much as I could. Although I was full time I still took on the responsibility of staying overtime. The most enjoyable part of my experience working for Estendicare was the people I worked for (the residence) that lived there and I did what my passion is which is cooking. – less
Warm and inviting
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 3, 2013
My time at Extendicare was a great experience. The staff was friendly and so were the people.
Good place to work.....Staff member are very helpful
1) PHYSIOTHERAPIST ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 18, 2013
Very helpful and Interesting.
management is very supporting
Fulfilling environment with residents.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Port Hope, ONSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: learning closely from registered staff.
Cons: inability to get full time employment.
Extendicare has been a great learning tool as a psw, I have learned many things during my employment and had the opportunity to sharpen all of my skills.
extendicare
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Port Hope, ONAugust 8, 2013
I loved working with the residents, they had great activities for them. Coworkers were mostly great people but a typical day was very busy and full. I learned many things while employed there, the hardest was their ailments and their life ending. The most enjoyable were their stories.
it's not an easy job
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Kapuskasing, ONJuly 19, 2013
being a support worker is a very hard job it's not for everyone, most of the staff are very friendly, the management is not to great,
Excellent Job
Activity Aide (Current Employee), Lakefield, ONJuly 15, 2013
Plan and implement new and exciting activities for the residents.
Keep the classic activities running on a regular basis.
chart progress and health of residents
train new staff
Excellent management and co-workers
Productive and educational
Personal Support Worker (Placement) (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONMay 21, 2013
Pros: rewarding experience to care for individuals with needs
Cons: some senior staff refuses to train students
Clinical placement as part of program curriculum 261 hours required.

– May 25, 2013

As a student, you do not have a paid employee point of view and should not be allowed to comment on any company. As employees we have tons of work to do and don't all have time for training, however as a PSW if someone was not allowed to train you it is because management did not want students exposed to that particular worker for their own reasons. I refuse to assign trainees to someone who is unhappy with their job, doesn't get along with other staff, and/or is not on his/her best behavior with the clients.

typical union setting
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Sudbury OntarioMay 20, 2013
Pros: it was close to home.
Cons: nobody can stand being there.
Residents are wonderful. Staff is more worried about what their collegues are getting away with than the work being done.
Terrible cheap company with no integrity
Dietary Cook/Supervisor (Former Employee), TorontoApril 28, 2013
Pros: i'm not there anymore
Cons: everything else
This was the most APALLING company I have ever been employed with. An absolute lack of concern for residents safety and dietary concerns. NEVER enough product on hand for the cooks to properly prepare meals for all residents. You are regularly left to figure out how to make 3lbs of food stretch to feed 200 residents. Residents on texture modified diets – more... fed whatever junk is leftover because once its ground or pureed no one can tell anyway. Leftover food saved and re-packaged and sold as fresh for Meals on Wheels clients. Unsafe storage of food. Equipment not maintained properly.

Employees expected to start early and work through most breaks because the workload is so intense you couldn't possibly complete the expectations while taking normal breaks and lunch. Vietnamese factory kids have better working conditions.

Management just concerned with "covering their own butts" even when you bring up serious safety concerns. They are just a bottom-line driven company that should be absolutely ASHAMED of their operating standards and how they treat their residents. Union is equally useless. Happy to take your dues every cheque but unwilling to take a firm stand on anything else.

Do not risk your trade qualifications, professionalism or conscience on this company. And do not EVER consider admitting anyone you love into an Extendicare owned or managed home.

Extendicare....You know what you are doing...I know what you are doing and the Ministry of Health and Long term care will know what you are doing. I am exercising my "Duty to Report". And to all the mid-managers upwards in the company...I wish for you in your "golden years" the same kind of care and nourishment that you currently feel is appropriate for your residents. – less
Beware of Working Here Especially Registered Staff
Past Employee (Former Employee), Prescott OntarioApril 17, 2013
Pros: staff and residents
Cons: long hours
Chaotic and disorganized. Management has changed many times over past 2 years and people with little or no experience have been in charge of facility in the past. Management not supportive of staff and a great deal of staff turnover has occurred within past year. Grossly understaffed especially registered staff. In order to complete work you must stay – more... overtime almost every day. Work most shifts with no break for the shift. Unrealistic expectations of staff regarding resident care and time frames for completion of work. Not enough staff to provide safe and competent care. Calls can go unanswered for 10- 15 minutes at some times. Registered staff are putting their license in jeopardy working here and most do not stay more than a few months.
Staff do the best they can with what they have to work with. Supplies are frequently not available for resident care.
. – less
You really don't want to work here!
Staff nurse (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMarch 25, 2013
Pros: location.
Cons: see above.
Terrible place for staff and residents!
Overworked PSW's who are responsible for the care of upwards of 13 clients. Management refused to allow staff to wear lighter summer clothing until two PSW's had fainted from the humidity.
Pay is only good due to Union presence, and this company tried to force its staff into a pay freeze despite a great profit – more... margin. This company allowed several situations in which clients relatives bullied the staff, threatening to have them fired, allowing them to gossip amongst staff and other residents about staff and residents, every single day.
Management turnover on the high side. In two years they had to replace both the DOC and the ADOC, and the staff educator, all of whom were replaced by RN's with little to no experience on the units themselves, so therefore no practical knowledge.
Pay cheques were often wrong, scheduling was poor due to lack of communication and they refused to pay a staff member her back pay when she realized she had been under-paid for approximately a year.
Union is not interested in fighting for anyone, too friendly with management. – less
none given
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), Kirkland Lake, ONFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: residents
Cons: staffing
nothing to say good about this place. Except there one i do like is the residents and some staff
Very productive, educational and challenging but loving environment. Fast pace!
Staff Nurse - Early Dementia Unit (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 19, 2012
Pros: freedom to make decisions if needed. free coffee!
Cons: long hours yes.
The management is absolutely supportive. I learned and developed many skills I thought I never had. My self confidence is 90% better than before. I love working with my co-workers and love the residents. I couldn't complain and can't say any negative comments about this company because I got so much in return.
worked for 18 years
Health Care Aid (Former Employee), Timmins, ONDecember 5, 2012
very busy place to work at, always treated their employees and residents very well.
Benefits
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), Winnipeg ,ManitobaOctober 19, 2012
Pros: enough time break
Cons: no team work
I enjoyed going to work because I had a friendly environment maybe because I can get along well with my co workers.Being a past faced environment I learned the value of time management and work load organization.The hardest part of the job is that when your working under pressure and theres no teamwork among the workers but the most enjoyable part of – more... the job is getting along with the people thats around you.I love working in the customer service. – less
Fun place to work at
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 18, 2012
Pros: gym in the office premises
Enjoyed every bit of it. A typical day was busy kept me going through the day. I learned a lot of the long term care industry. Management was supportive and co-workers were fun.

1 2 3 4 5

About Extendicare Health Services, Inc.

Extendicare Health Services, Inc. (EHSI) prides itself on helping people live better, by providing comprehensive nursing, therapeutic – Read more

Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Photos