Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Bottom line is the only thing that matters
Office Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2018
Beware!!! Extendicare does not care for their employees and will throw you to the wolves for no particular reason. I was let go out of the blue with no valid explanation. I worked hard and put in lots of OT with no pay because of lack of staff. I did it because I didn't want to see the seniors go without. Extendicare's only concern is the bottom line. They will change your duties at any time with no warning or training.They will expect you to lie to back up the company. Worst company I ever worked for. Back stabbing is a daily routine. Hard work and honesty means nothing to this company. I know the seniors were upset when I was let go. I adored them and I know they were very fond of me and my continuous efforts to ensure their quality of life at the residence.
Pros
Working with the seniors
Cons
Company does not care for anything but bottom line
wonderful place to work
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON9 January 2018
I love working at extendicare it is and was an amazing facility to begin my health care career.
A typical day at work is providing care, following by serving meals and working collaboratively with team members to support those who depend on aids every day.
overall terrible work environment and staff!
RPN (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON22 November 2017
this entire place is a joke, worst place I've ever worked! staff are rude managers don't know how to manage their staff specially the ones that have been working t here for a long time. PSW don't listen and fight, managers don't do anything about their inappropriate behavior
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Staff is over worked and under paid. No appreciation or respect from management/staff.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON8 November 2017
There is not enough staff properly scheduled to be able to attend to and properly care for our residents needs. Extremely frustrating when you need help but there is not enough staff to get help from. Therefore you end up doing way too much work yourself and your body pays for it dearly. In my opinion, it is very frustrating to see that your residents deserve so much more then you're physically capable of providing, but the issue is never resolved due to not having more staff scheduled.
Management doesn't care about anyone but themselves
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Fort Macleod, AB3 November 2017
Atrocious management. Always belittling nursing staff. Very cheap when it comes to new equipment. Non-approachable what so ever. Basically big bullies, not worth working here!
Pros
Staff and residents are lovely
Cons
Atrocious management
Chelsey Park London
PSW (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 November 2017
Management does not listen to their staff, and are not willing to remedy the situation once they are aware of a problem. Most coworkers are great to work with but the full time PSWs will gang up on new or part time employees, and report a first time minor issues to upper management that could have been discussed and fixed on the floor with supervisor such as the need to speak slower and louder to hard of hearing residents. I would recommend to check any long term facilities online record with the ministry of health for any warnings, violations, incidents. That will give you an idea of how the LTC facility operates before deciding to accept a position there. All LTC facilities have their MOH records online for the public to view. I'm not saying this facility has any bad reports but it's best to check and decide for yourself.
I worked there part time for two years, and that was more then enough for me.
Pros
Wonderful residents
Cons
Short staffed and overworked
Good solid and caring organization
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 October 2017
Friendly environment, good training and support staff.
Enjoyed working with staff interacting with residents and providing safe and compassionate care
productive
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ON4 October 2017
the hardest part of this job would be making sure to get all Kleenex out of residents pants pockets. The most enjoyable part of this job would be when you deliver some clean blankets to a resident and they are very grateful
Pros
early mornings
Cons
doesn't work with my school schedule
Productive and fun
Elderly Caregiver (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, AB22 September 2017
I liked to work with the seniors and the workers also the seniors were very kind and friendly and they let me help and take care of them too. I suggest working there is a great idea
Pros
Free lunches
Busy days
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2017
Everyday was always busy. Timing and time management are key roles. There are always new challenges everyday and ways to get around them. Most of the staff were good but not all were ideal.
Steady work environment
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON24 August 2017
The manager was great and took the time to teach me things I would not have otherwise learned. An example of this would be minor repairs on the building.
Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  4540 Rae St16 August 2017
The volunteers experience I've done were at different places. One at the Mosaic Stadium doing the washing bathrooms and sweeping. Second was at the Extendicare Parkside helping with getting the patience to their beds, read them stories, take them to the dinning room for to gather with the rest and share meals, with some music on.
you gotta focus on the residents because the staff are a mess
Activation Aide (Current Employee) –  Ontario1 August 2017
great benefits and pay and a relatively easy workload (not given too much on your plate). HOWEVER, lots of drama between staff, especially PSWs who are jaded and should no longer be working a job they clearly despise as it ruins work for everyone, and causes a high amount of staff turnover which isn't fair for residents.
A living nightmare
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON21 July 2017
I have never worked in such a horrific non professional environment in my entire life. I would never subject myself or my loved ones to such a toxic atmosphere. There seems to be an issue with communication between staff and management. The front line staff seem to have a rogue style agenda in regards to resident care plans and seem to push their ideals onto the residents and their families. I suggest that if your looking into a career in health that to consider other specialties and refrain from ltc style of career.
Pros
There is an end to the shift
Cons
Management, staff and corporate
Busy days with great co workers
Housekeeper / Laundry Aide (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 July 2017
As a Laundry Aide I sort wash, dry and fold the laundry. I restock the linen cart for each wing for the next day., I put away the first round of the resident's clothing and make sure they carts are done on time to be delivered to the wings. As a housekeeper I clean the residents rooms, I sweep and mop the dining rooms and common areas in the wings I'm working in for the day.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Not enough fulltime positions available
Great
Services (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 May 2017
I enjoy working at Extendicare.
It is a multi-cultral environment, very welcoming, warm and accepting.
I have learned a great deal during my time here.
Productive and fun
Health support worker (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB14 May 2017
I'm having fun to work with the staff and client.with the staff we're working as a teammates helping each other , share techniques according to the rules.
Pros
Casual
Cons
Position
Activity aide leading group and 1:1 programs
Activity Aide (Current Employee) –  Haliburton, ON7 May 2017
I enjoyed leading group programs but what I valued most was the 1:1 time I got to spend with each resident. Time in between group programs aloud me to do so. I grew as a person, being a leader pushed me out of my comfort zone and gave me a sence of confidence. My manager was excellent. She was very flexible and encouraging any ideas I had. What I didn't enjoy was working for a union and getting jobs taken from me by people who were not the best person for the job but had more hours then me. The job should go to the best person for the job.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Evening and weekend shifts
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  260 sunset DR29 April 2017
We try to talk to seniors and read with them listen to their interesting life stories taking care of them also being able to talk politely so they feel comfortable to get to know us.
Volunteer
Volunteer helper (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON19 April 2017
Volunteering was fun, made new friends, was able to help out those that served our country. the staffs are amazing people, they really try their best to make you socially active with others for a great time. they also hosting many events that took outside the faculty.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extendicare Health Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9